Start by marking “Silver Spire” as Want to Read:
Silver Spire

Silver Spire (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #6)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
When a fellow shamus gets charged with murder, Wolfe comes to his rescue

Staten Island would be forgettable were it not for the gleaming Tabernacle of the Silver Spire, where thousands of congregants come every Sunday to hear the sermons of Barnabas Bay. Millions more tune in on television, giving the good Reverend international fame, and a chance to spread the gospel from
Published November 13th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published October 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Spire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Spire

John Yeoman
Dec 15, 2014 John Yeoman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the finest Goldsborough 'Nero Wolfe' pastiche that I've read so far, though I've several to go. The plot is complex, the psychology persuasive and the closure satisfying. Goldsborough has wisely placated the Moral Majority, a large US readership, by not querying the central tenets of Christian faith, although the plot implicitly challenges them. But I did yearn - oh, did I yearn! - for a pungent Nero Wolfe Pfui! when the Good Preacher descends into platitudes and schmaltz. The robust, fr ...more
Ed
Mar 25, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Robert Goldsborough continuation of the 47 book Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout. Goldsborough does an excellent job in capturing the feel for the corpulent NYC detective established by Rex Stout.
The pivotal clue may be obscure and not up to par with some other series entries but with Nero Wolfe it is the process not the product that you read for - and, as a bonus, Nero even leaves his brownstone to deliver the solution. Recommended especially for series fans.

Nero Wolfe series - Staten I
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
I'm sorry to say this is just a really poor Nero Wolfe patsche. Goldsborough usually write at least an OK follow-up to Rex Stout's immortal detective hero, but this one was just disappointing all the way around.
Simon
Sep 27, 2013 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can only start by saying that I love Nero Wolfe as a character, and have some appreciation for what Goldsborough tried to do back in the day before the widespread availability of internet fan fiction --- which is what his Nero Wolfe novels essentially were. He captures the flavor of Stout's characters, but falls victim to some of the usual drawbacks of the genre. For example, the book is filled with small winks to the cognoscenti to let them know that Goldsborough is achingly familiar with the ...more
Nancy
Oct 13, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Goldsborough has accomplished a very challenging feat: successfully writing additional books in a deceased author's series.

Goldsborough's Nero Wolfe books retain most of the style and fun of Rex Stout's original series---and this book is no exception. My only quibble is that the author (sensibly) brings the novels into a contemporary setting without actually suggesting that time has also passed for the principal characters. (i.e. Archie uses a computer, not a typewriter, but there is no h
Jim
Nov 02, 2012 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Stan Shelley
This the first Nero Wolfe book that I have read that was not written by Rex Stout. It was a fine mystery but not a standout and I doubt I will read others not by Stout.
Paul Kaperick
Jun 01, 2015 Paul Kaperick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keep writing these.

The author is feeding all of the starving Wolfe fans with new stories that read like the originals. More, please.
Treva Smutz
May 29, 2016 Treva Smutz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monica Willyard
Well written with a strong plot.
James Willey
Jan 29, 2016 James Willey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usual good reading from Goldsborough.
Adam
Mar 05, 2016 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Mystery
Olden
Susan
Wolfe refuses a job investigating threatening letters at a large, popular church on Staten Island. So Archie recommends Fred Durkin, the plodding free-lancer, for the job. When one of the churchmen is murdered, the police are sure Durkin did it. Obviously, neither Wolfe nor Archie can let their long-time associate take the fall. I can't help but think that Goldsborough is a lot gentler with the whole organized religious element of the plot than Stout would have been, but it's not a bad read.
William D Deniston
Again Goldsborough has done it

As I said before, has brought Nero. Archie and the old brownstone back to us. I am very glad that the Stout family allowed him to continue the great work theaTre Stout started. If you remember Nero, then you will be glad to see him back. With all the twist and turns only Wolf's mind can untangle with the help of his great leg man, Archie.
Ruth
Dec 20, 2010 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books by Robert Goldsborough are "dead" ringers for Rex Stout's Nero Wolf books. Archie uses a word processor to enter the orchid records, but many things remain the same, including Wolf's inclination to eat concoctions such as salmon mousse. I have enjoyed reading more than one of these in the past and enjoyed reading this one, whether for the first time or not, I do not know!
Chi Dubinski
The charismatic televangelist Barnabas Bay has been receiving threats in the collection plates. Who could be sending them? Nero Wolfe refuses the case but Archie Goodwin recommends Fred Durkin, a fellow P.I. When one of the church leaders is murdered, Fred is arrested. Wolfe decides to investigate to free Fred and find the real killer.
Ted
re-read 2013/the victim outwits his killer in the end, leaves hidden evidence in the event of his demise which Wolfe scoped out
Sandi
Nov 10, 2010 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does a great job of imitating Rex stout. Next best thing, really.
Dean
Dean is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Beth E
Beth E rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2016
Ross Vincent
Ross Vincent marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Terry
Terry added it
Aug 26, 2016
SK
SK rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Krissy Lee
Krissy Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jul 21, 2016
Ronneth Briceño
Ronneth Briceño rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
  • The Final Deduction (Nero Wolfe, #35)
Robert Goldsborough is an American author of mystery novels. He was born in 1937 and grew up in the Chicago area. Although he worked for 45 years for the Chicago Tribune and Advertising Age, he first came to prominence in the 1980s with the publication, with the approval of the estate of Rex Stout, of his Nero Wolfe mystery Murder in E Minor. Written privately for his mother back in 1978, shortly ...more
More about Robert Goldsborough...

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Murder in E Minor
  • Death on Deadline
  • The Bloodied Ivy
  • The Last Coincidence (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe)
  • Fade to Black
  • The Missing Chapter
  • Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (Nero Wolfe Novels by Robert Goldsborough #8)
  • Murder in the Ball Park (Nero Wolfe Novels by Robert Goldsborough #9)
  • Archie in the Crosshairs