Start by marking “The Man in the Woods” as Want to Read:
The Man in the Woods

The Man in the Woods

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Who is the man in the woods—and can Helen catch him before it’s too late?

Helen’s first day at New Bedford Regional High School is off to a hectic start. Her locker combination doesn’t work, she’s late to all her classes, and she doesn’t know a single person. But she doesn’t need friends to figure out the unofficial rules: Cheerleaders simply don’t associate with frizzy-hai
Published November 20th 2012 by Open Road Media Teen & Tween (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Man in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man in the Woods

Holly
I'm not completely sure why I read this, but I do like reading YA mystery/suspense books, so I decided to give it a shot. Yes, this is a YA book from the 80s written by the creator of the Max and Ruby series! The only reason I read it is because it happened to be available on Kindle. Sure they're converting a lot of books to electronic forms now, but sometimes the choices of what they convert are mystifying. While The Man in the Woods was sort of cute, there's no way it can stand up to today's Y ...more
Eden
Helen witnesses a crime and follows a man into the wood who she thinks committed the crime. She couldn't see the man clearly, but he was whistling. So, when the police arrest someone for the crime, Helen knows it is the wrong person and becomes determined to find the person who really did it.

I've read one other book by Rosemary Wells and liked it, but I thought this one was bit better than the other book I read. The plot was really interesting and kept me guessing. I also liked Helen and Pinky.

B
Diana
Rosemary Wells book "The man in the woods," had great potential to become an amazing book but some parts of it seemed unnecessary. For example when "the Man in the Woods," finds Helen's locket and pokes her mother's eyes out in the picture, I found that that was a little excessive. And too much information. Helen and Pinky's relationship was cute, but unrealistic. Also the ending was sort of just left….. almost as if Wells got tired of writing and just decided to end it?

All in all, Wells' plot w
Rachel
I'm not sure how many times I have read this book, but I have loved it every time. I just realized it is written by Rosemary Wells of Max and Ruby fame! The story contains mystery, history and drama-I'd recommend it to anyone.
Rani Self
It was fine, though maybe a little simple for today's YA audience. When I downloaded it, I didn't realize it was written in 1984 so maybe that explains it. I also kept seeing Max and Ruby, who I adore, as the characters. Oops!
Kathy
I've loved her Max and Ruby books. Little did I know she wrote mystery novels as well! Well done.
Aiyana
A good gripping tale of misfits and mystery. The writing style was oddly old-fashioned; at the mention of nuclear power, I revised my estimation from "written in the '50s or earlier" (I kept waiting for a character to say "gee wilkers!" but the closest I got was "jeez louise"). The tone is almost gothic, but without being over-dramatic.
Corinne
Well-written mystery book about a girl who witnesses a crime and struggles through threats and fear to find the truth. I wonder if high school newspapers are really like Rosemary portrays them? Enjoyed the story. Quite a switch from her simple, endearing children's stories.
Kate
This thriller by Wells, who is a REALLY fine y/a author, begins with creepiness and then gets into a very interesting Civil War-era mystery. No sex or violence, but the sophistication of the book makes it a little more y/a than juvenile-level. I quite liked it.
Liz
This book was awesome! I was hooked from the very first page. Thirty years ago, when the book was published, there were so many things that were done differently, so it was very nostalgic for me. Other than that, it was just a great mystery.
Zack
An exciting and genuinely creepy mystery set in the gloomy forests of New Bedford, Massachusetts. I enjoyed the setting, and the mystery at the heart of the book had me guessing until the end.
Sally Grey
I like this book because it was well written and because the plot took unexpected turns.
erin
erin added it
Jul 14, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Jun 11, 2015
Kari Hale
Kari Hale marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Anouck Guay
Anouck Guay marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Steven Perciballi
Steven Perciballi marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Mahlon Williams
Mahlon Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ozza
Ozza added it
Feb 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...
Bunny Cakes Yoko Noisy Nora Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories On the Blue Comet