Start by marking “Seat of Empire: The Embattled Birth of Austin, Texas” as Want to Read:
Seat of Empire: The Embattled Birth of Austin, Texas

Seat of Empire: The Embattled Birth of Austin, Texas

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  16 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In 1838 Texas vice president Mirabeau B. Lamar, flush from the excitement of a successful buffalo hunt, gazed from a hilltop toward the paradise at his feet and saw the future. His poetic eye admired the stunning vista before him, with its wavering prairie grasses gradually yielding to clusters of trees, then whole forests bordering the glistening Colorado River in the dis ...more
Published July 3rd 2013 by Texas Tech University Press (first published March 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Seat of Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seat of Empire

Louis
Aug 27, 2013 Louis rated it it was amazing
History may be written by the winners, as the saying goes, but they can still be forgotten in time. Such a man was Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar. Today he is known (if at all) as a 19th century Texas politician. His greatest political triumph is brought to vivid life in Jeffrey Stuart Kerr’s Seat of Empire: The Embattled Birth of Austin, Texas. For anyone who enjoys reading about epic political feuds this book offers a juicy one.

Lamar had risen from obscurity (a refugee from family sorrow in Georgia
Sam Sattler
Aug 29, 2013 Sam Sattler rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Modern observers know that the business of politics is a nasty one. Jeffrey Stuart Kerr’s Seat of Empire reminds us, however, that as politics goes, it is simply business as usual, that little has changed since the founding of this country – or since the earliest days of Texas history. Here, Kerr tells the story behind the “birth of Austin, Texas,” a city forever linked to the personal feud between the first two presidents of the Republic of Texas: Sam Houston and Mirabeau B. Lamar.

Lamar was de
Melissa
Mar 25, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: texas
I've spent more than a few years dabbling in Texas history--and at the end of this book, I realized I had learned so much. There just aren't that many books about the Republic years--and how incredibly chaotic they were. It's hard to think of Austin as the frontier, and yet it was.
Sam Houston doesn't come off as a saint here, which was also rather refreshing. Highly recommended--and it made for some really great conversations at the DHV book club.
Aaron Arnold
Dec 17, 2013 Aaron Arnold rated it really liked it
I'd always wondered what the full story was behind the small statue at 7th and Congress of a defiant woman firing a cannon. I knew that she was protecting the state government archives in Austin from people trying to move them to Houston, but I never really knew where that colorful episode fit into the larger history of Austin. Kerr has written an exhaustively detailed history that answers just about any question a curious reader might have about that incident, as well as provides an interesting ...more
Helen
Nov 05, 2014 Helen rated it liked it
Those of us who grew up in Texas and had Texas history in Jr. High (yes, it was called that in the 50's) never really learned about the animosity between Lamar and Houston. But now we know the whole story thanks to Dr. Kerr's well researched book.

I would love to have seen the site of the capital as Lamar saw it back then. Now we have tall buildings, traffic and a population explosion not the struggling town on the frontier.

"Build it and they will come," eventually.
Cara Cole
Dec 03, 2013 Cara Cole rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People that love Texas
Recommended to Cara by: Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
Must say that this book has taken me the second longest in my life to read. It may because I am not a fan of Texas or perhaps the way it was written is dreadfully dull. All the same it was a semi enjoyable once only read that had a lot of great detail and wit.
Robert Barron
Robert Barron rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Gabor
Gabor marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Ben Rush
Ben Rush marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
SL
SL marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Tmjj33ronataurreviews
Tmjj33ronataurreviews marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Sean Saxe
Sean Saxe rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Cindy Peel
Cindy Peel marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Nora Winslow
Nora Winslow rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Sandy Hentges guzman
Sandy Hentges guzman marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Kevin Ashton
Kevin Ashton rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
John Thornton
John Thornton rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
McKay
McKay marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Pam Schulte
Pam Schulte marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Stephen Boiko
Stephen Boiko rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Oct 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jeffrey Kerr entered Rice University in 1975 wanting to become a writer and historian. This plan soon gave way to more practical considerations and in 1984 Kerr earned his medical degree from Texas A&M University. After a residency at Wake Forest University, the newly accredited pediatric neurologist moved back to Texas to establish a successful practice in Austin.

Not long thereafter, Kerr di
More about Jeffrey Stuart Kerr...