Start by marking “Broken (This Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken (This Trilogy, #1)

Broken (This #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  3,702 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
Gabby's life has been anything but easy. She is surrounded by friends who seem to have everything she doesn't: money, social standing, and happily married parents. While dealing with the loss of her mother, she experiences her first heartbreak. She commits herself to her studies and runs away from any emotions that aren't safe. Bradley Banks, a confident CEO and commercial ...more
Published September 29th 2012 by Smashwords Edition (first published September 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken

Erin
Jan 05, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-blog-review, dnf
*********2.5 stars*********
I'm wondering if maybe I read a different book than the other reviewers, because my reaction to it seems to be polar opposite. I had a really hard time getting through this book and I'm having issues rating it at all. I'm going to go through some of the issues I had with it, not to bash the author's work, but just to give other potential readers my honest look at what I felt was not a recommendable read.

The story behind Broken in and of itself wasn't bad, but the exec
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
"Anything worth having is never simple or easy, Gabby."

Well, Fuck a duck, of course my most brilliant review ever, (wink wink) just got deleted. I've come back and re-wrote a brief review and then came back and added some pics and a quote, but my first review was so much better. I just can't make myself re-write the whole thing. LESSON LEARNED!! LOL.

Gabby

I found this book on Fb accidently a while back. I really had been looking forward to it and wasn't aware this series was so long. Before I
Sofia Lazaridou
Oct 26, 2015 Sofia Lazaridou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gabby was betrayed by her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend. Since then she cannot trust a man enough to start a relationship. She meets Bradley at a wedding and she knows that he is going to break her heart. He is hot and he can have any woman he wants and Gabby doesn't want to be used and thrown away. So she leaves him in the cold of the bath as we would say here in Greece (she abandons him at the wedding reception to speak english).She isn't able to get him out of her mind and neither has he. S ...more
Lisa
Oct 08, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Every once in a while a book makes me feel a little bipolar. Let me explain…When I started reading, I quickly noticed that the book was written in alternating third person point of views. One minute you are getting Gabby’s thoughts and then it may switch to her sister or Bradley without much warning. I am not a big fan of this because it can get confusing and feel a bit impersonal. That being said, by the middle of the book, I completely forgot about this as I started to enjoy the story
Kim Person
Nov 21, 2012 Kim Person rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Well I finally finished Broken and I have to tell you that Gabby is BROKEN!! Damn, that girl has been through it but is it more of her own making? She was "in-love" with her high-school boyfriend, Ian, her first boyfriend and the boy she crushed on for years! What Ian & Lindsay, Gabby's so call BFF, did would be enough to crush anyone? But this has literally BROKE Gabby to pieces - hence the name of the book? :)

Gabby attends a wedding with her sister Sam and that's where she first lays eyes
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
Since I'm vacillating between 2 and 3 stars, I'll give the benefit of the doubt.
This is a good story about a college girl who've been hurt in the past by her boyfriend and her best friend. She was also hurt on some level by her father, but the extent of that is not yet revealed in this book (there are more planned, as it turns out.)
As in all stories, girl meets new boy. New boy wants her and is willing to do everything to help her and be with her.
This is all good and dandy, however, considering
Tara
Oct 22, 2012 Tara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
POSSIBLE SPOILERS: I feel like I am being incredibly generous by giving this book 2 stars. The grammar was atrocious, the dialogue incredibly unbelievable and there were talking passages that would take up a whole damn page! An active conversation doesn't work like that. The plot was boring...a 20yo sophomore in college who is a virgin (big shocker) who meets and falls for a man whore who is a wealthy commit a phobe. But here is the shocker, she has baggage stemming from a high school love gone ...more
Tracey (Life and Literature)
Broken is the story of college age Gabby, whose life has been anything but easy. Dealing with the devastating death of her mother and the ultimate betrayal of the boy she loves she decides that she will throw herself into her studies and erects some pretty solid walls around her heart after deciding that she can handle no more heartache. But while attending a friends wedding she locks eyes with the devastatingly handsome Bradley Banks. The spark and attraction is instant and mutual. But Bradley ...more
Brandy Lynn
Nov 24, 2012 Brandy Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gabby's life has been anything but easy. She is surrounded by friends who seem to have everything she doesn't: money, social standing, and happily married parents. While dealing with the loss of her mother and her first heartbreak, she meets her Bradley Banks, a sophisticated CEO who is challenged by his unfamiliar feelings for Gabby. Will he be her next heartbreak?

**************************************************

Um WOW is all I can say after reading the first installment in “This Trilogy!” I d
Melissa
Nov 25, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Why, why, why was this book so short??? I loved it. I felt so bad for Gabby and her painful past. Trust is a hard thing to give people when you are so distrustful. I want everything to work out for her, I want her to be happy. I was really able to connect with Gabby while reading. I wish it was a little longer and we got a better look at Bradley. It sounds like we will get to know him better in Mending. I am now going to be impatiently waiting the release of Mending!!!
Nic
Nov 27, 2012 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I have had Broken by J.B. McGee downloaded for some time but, didn’t have a chance to read it until recently. How I wish I had only know what I was missing out on.

J.B. McGee has written a beautiful and heartwarming story about fate and taking chances, and the battle to overcome heartache while learning to trust in your heart again. J.B. has taken her time developing the story, not rushing the important moments, making me feel like I was actually caught up in the moment.

I ardor the characters o
Dawn Gloss-ivory
Broken, just read this past weekend and then again the beginning of the following week, this is such a wonderful book. You immediately fall in love with the characters, the main, Gabby is so like able and real. Her relationship with her sister Sam is envious! You will weep for those who fail Gabby and rejoice in what she finds. It is rare that I want to reread a book, especially so quickly, but I wanted more time with these amazing characters and story. I can not wait for part 2 of the trilogy t ...more
Ruth Ann
Jun 12, 2013 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, romance
I enjoyed reading this book. It was written in a different style. Every other chapter is either the past or the present. It took me a little bit to get used to this style but I found myself enjoying it.

This is the story of Gabby and Bradley. Bradley is a drop dead gorgeous wealthy bachelor with piercing blue eyes. He was used to getting what he wanted all the time. He met his match with Gabby. She didn't want anything to do with him because of her painful past. This is their story...
Amber Chi
Nov 20, 2012 Amber Chi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bookylicious
Dec 30, 2015 Bookylicious rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Total disapointment ... Writing and characters were dull. İf ı were bradley i will run to the opposite direction when gabby starts talking the second they met:))) she talks a lot abıut her emotions. no one talks to a stranger about his/her insecuruties or emotions the second they met. And why mention your virginity in the first place(in a wedding reception!!!) heyyy u just met. This book couldnt been any more ridiculus:))) lmao:)))
Tami Talbert
Dec 17, 2015 Tami Talbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this story. This is book 1 of the trilogy. I like the development of the characters by the author. The story is written in a very different way than what I have read in the past with each chapter going between the present and the past to lead the reader through the story to get an understanding of what transpired in Gabby's past to make her so cautious of entering into a relationship with Bradley. Looking forward to reading Mending and Forgiven.
Anne OK
Dec 11, 2012 Anne OK rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Lots of whining and crying and sniveling conversations. I didn't really feel the love at all. There's definitely a cliffhanger at the end and the story continues in the second book, "Mending." I'm not sure I'll even give it a chance for redemption. Just didn't keep my attention very well at all.
Michelle
Jul 19, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this short read was just what I needed on a Sunday night. I think this story has potential and I can't wait to see where it goes.

I love how new authors can get these stories out to share with us.

I am so pleased to see positive reviews, the story kept you interested and has room to grow. I can't help but want to hug and shake some sense into Gabby all at the same time.
Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞
Kindle Freebie 12/12/15
Sara
As a debut novel this was a nice short read.

The story begins with Gabby as she I getting ready to attend her cousins wedding. Gabby is young, shy and a bit insecure. She has a past that did a number on her and she isn’t quite over that yet.

At the wedding she meets a handsome stranger, one of the ushers who sets her on fire from the small touch of her hand on his arm. Could it be that he feels the same thing? Bradley Banks, Mr. Tall Dark and oh so sexy feels an instant attraction to Gabby but i
NovelJunkies
Dec 17, 2012 NovelJunkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Broken is an emotional story about learning to love and trust after you have been broken. Gabby is a young college student who has gone through heartbreak. She has built up walls in hopes to numb the pain of her past. Nothing seems to go her way... Then she meets Bradley at a wedding. It was instant chemistry. The rest of the book is about Gabby trying to accept a loving relationship with Bradley.

"You make me greedy for you. I just can't get enough. I wish you would just accept it for
Alicia Taylor
Jun 02, 2013 Alicia Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what an amazing book. Gabby is so easy to connect to and I felt every bit of her pain! Ian is so smooth. I liked him a lot at first, until her breaks her heart. I love the book for the simple fact that loads of people can sympathise with the heartache Gabby feels. Then she meets Bradley. :D

Oh Bradley, he had me at the first grin he gives her at the wedding. I like an alpha male so it pulled me into him straight away, the. He climbs over mountains to be with her after making an ass of himsel
Tamara Brown
Oct 01, 2012 Tamara Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

What an amazing story. This book had me captivated from the beginning. It has such a beautiful, romantic, and sad story line. Gabby has more baggage than baggage claim. I can't wait for the second book in this trilogy to find out what happens with Gabby and Bradley. I love how the book takes you back to when her heartbreak happened and back to the present at the same time. I cried several times throughout this book. Can't wait J.B. McGee for the second book. You are a very talented writer.
Amanda
Nov 13, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

OMG! Just finished broken and absolutely fell in love with it. The characters captured me and I was able to feel their emotions and put myself in gabby's place and was able to feel how broken she is and at the same time feel how badly she wants to be "fixed". I got so engrossed in the story and so emotionally involved that I wanted to run Ian and Lindsay over in my car for being complete jack assess!! The chemistry between Bradley and Gabby is phenomenal and I can't wait to see how everything t
Jojo Bungenaar
Apr 21, 2013 Jojo Bungenaar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story and I loved the two main characters. This book has been very cleverly written. I loved how this was written in both the past and the present but it was in no way confusing. As some books show you a little bit of people's past this showed you quite a bit which enabled you to relate with the female lead. I would seriously recommend this book to anyone. I am so looking forward to the next one. This book deserves its 5 stars and more x
Drh
Nov 06, 2012 Drh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book leaves you wanting more .....SO BEAUTIFUL !!!

Cant wait for book 2....!!!

Love it...

I really loved Bradley/Gabby's story it was a touching,romantic story of two people's journey to find their way to each other.

" Anything worth having is never simple or easy, Gabby ...."

Terri Lou
Dec 12, 2012 Terri Lou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely amazing! I love this book! Gabby n Bradley are amazing characters. You feel like your in the story with them! You can tell these will be chemistry from the moment they met! J B McGee you blow me away with your writing skills. Totally amazing. Can't wait for book 2+3! Totally deserving of 5% stars xx
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
3.5 Stars
This book had potential....has potential. Afterall it's a series. I think my biggest problem was perhaps the writing style which was 3rd person. I'm not a huge fan. I also didn't have a very strong connection to either of the main characters. However for the price I paid of $.99 it was an entertaining enough read and has me invested enough to see where the storyline goes.....
Deb
Mar 23, 2016 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG....so well written....believable characters....so much hurt;( Gabby is so broken ..... You root for her from chapter 1..... Please Bradley......find a way to put her back together....no young girl should have this much pain:( waiting to see what happens next......please please please HEA is so desperately needed for this story! Loved this...quick read....couldn't put it down!
Melissa
Dec 22, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. You know you like a book when you stay up way too late to read even though you can't keep your eyes open and then wake up before dawn to finish it. And then you're sad its over :-( But wait book 2 is already on my kindle. looks like coffee is just going to have to wait! I need to know!!!!
  • Breaking Beautiful (Broken, #2)
  • The Submission of Alistair Ingram (Dolls & Doms, #1)
  • Saving Grace
  • Ten Days of Perfect (November Blue, #1)
  • A Toast to the Good Times
  • Schooled
  • Bound Together (Bound Together, #1)
  • Planning on Forever (The Forever Series, #1)
  • Access All Areas (Access, #1)
  • Bouquet Toss (Love of My Life, #1)
  • Fury (The Sound Wave Series, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • In the Air (The City, #1)
  • Wreck Me (Wrecked, #1)
  • Moving Forward (Timing is Everything, #1)
  • Paradise Hops
  • Love Revolution (Brutal Strength #2; Black Cat Records, #2)
  • Pieces of Lies (Pieces of Lies, #1)
J.B. McGee is a mother, wife, and the Amazon Top 100 author of the best selling This Series. Amazon Crossing acquired the German rights to her debut novel, Broken. Heartfall, her coming of age novel about a bullied ballerina, is a #1 best seller in the Teen and Young Adult Performing Arts genre. Skipping Stones, a military romance about a young woman strongly influenced by her faith and her family ...more
More about J.B. McGee...

This (4 books)
  • Mending (This, #2)
  • Forgiven (This, #4)
  • Forever (The Finale to the This Series)

“I have tried to get you off my mind for the entire summer. I know that we don’t really know each other. I had to see if I saw you again, if I touched you again, if this, this feeling would still be here.” 20 likes
“I have more baggage than baggage claim. I'm damaged goods. I'm not good at...” she released him for a moment and fingered between the two of them “this.”

“Well, I think you're dancing just fine, Miss Gerhart.” he smirked. He knew that was not what she meant, but he had hoped to lighten their mood. Maybe if he could get her to relax she would give him a chance.”
18 likes