Start by marking “Broken (This Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken (This Trilogy, #1)
read book* *Different edition

Broken (This #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  3,464 ratings  ·  257 reviews
Gabby's life has been anything but easy. She is surrounded by friends who seem to have everything she doesn't: money, social standing, and happily married parents. While dealing with the loss of her mother, she experiences her first heartbreak. She commits herself to her studies and runs away from any emotions that aren't safe. Bradley Banks, a confident CEO and commercial ...more
Published September 29th 2012 by Smashwords Edition (first published September 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken

Erin
*********2.5 stars*********
I'm wondering if maybe I read a different book than the other reviewers, because my reaction to it seems to be polar opposite. I had a really hard time getting through this book and I'm having issues rating it at all. I'm going to go through some of the issues I had with it, not to bash the author's work, but just to give other potential readers my honest look at what I felt was not a recommendable read.

The story behind Broken in and of itself wasn't bad, but the exec
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
"Anything worth having is never simple or easy, Gabby."

Well, Fuck a duck, of course my most brilliant review ever, (wink wink) just got deleted. I've come back and re-wrote a brief review and then came back and added some pics and a quote, but my first review was so much better. I just can't make myself re-write the whole thing. LESSON LEARNED!! LOL.

Gabby

I found this book on Fb accidently a while back. I really had been looking forward to it and wasn't aware this series was so long. Before I g
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
Since I'm vacillating between 2 and 3 stars, I'll give the benefit of the doubt.
This is a good story about a college girl who've been hurt in the past by her boyfriend and her best friend. She was also hurt on some level by her father, but the extent of that is not yet revealed in this book (there are more planned, as it turns out.)
As in all stories, girl meets new boy. New boy wants her and is willing to do everything to help her and be with her.
This is all good and dandy, however, considering
Sofia Lazaridou
Gabby was betrayed by her ex-boyfriend and ex-bestfriend.Since then she cannot trust a man enough to start a relationship.She meets Bradley in a wedding and she knows that he is going to break her heart.He is hot and he can have any woman he wants and Gabby doesn't want to be used and throwed away.So she leaves him in the cold of the bath as we would say here in Greece(she abandons him at the wedding reception to speak english).She isn't able to get him out of her mind and neither has he.So he g ...more
Kim Person

Well I finally finished Broken and I have to tell you that Gabby is BROKEN!! Damn, that girl has been through it but is it more of her own making? She was "in-love" with her high-school boyfriend, Ian, her first boyfriend and the boy she crushed on for years! What Ian & Lindsay, Gabby's so call BFF, did would be enough to crush anyone? But this has literally BROKE Gabby to pieces - hence the name of the book? :)

Gabby attends a wedding with her sister Sam and that's where she first lays eyes
Lisa
3.5 Stars

Every once in a while a book makes me feel a little bipolar. Let me explain…When I started reading, I quickly noticed that the book was written in alternating third person point of views. One minute you are getting Gabby’s thoughts and then it may switch to her sister or Bradley without much warning. I am not a big fan of this because it can get confusing and feel a bit impersonal. That being said, by the middle of the book, I completely forgot about this as I started to enjoy the story
Tara
POSSIBLE SPOILERS: I feel like I am being incredibly generous by giving this book 2 stars. The grammar was atrocious, the dialogue incredibly unbelievable and there were talking passages that would take up a whole damn page! An active conversation doesn't work like that. The plot was boring...a 20yo sophomore in college who is a virgin (big shocker) who meets and falls for a man whore who is a wealthy commit a phobe. But here is the shocker, she has baggage stemming from a high school love gone ...more
Tracey (YA Book Addict)
Broken is the story of college age Gabby, whose life has been anything but easy. Dealing with the devastating death of her mother and the ultimate betrayal of the boy she loves she decides that she will throw herself into her studies and erects some pretty solid walls around her heart after deciding that she can handle no more heartache. But while attending a friends wedding she locks eyes with the devastatingly handsome Bradley Banks. The spark and attraction is instant and mutual. But Bradley ...more
Nic
I have had Broken by J.B. McGee downloaded for some time but, didn’t have a chance to read it until recently. How I wish I had only know what I was missing out on.

J.B. McGee has written a beautiful and heartwarming story about fate and taking chances, and the battle to overcome heartache while learning to trust in your heart again. J.B. has taken her time developing the story, not rushing the important moments, making me feel like I was actually caught up in the moment.

I ardor the characters o
Brandy Lynn
Gabby's life has been anything but easy. She is surrounded by friends who seem to have everything she doesn't: money, social standing, and happily married parents. While dealing with the loss of her mother and her first heartbreak, she meets her Bradley Banks, a sophisticated CEO who is challenged by his unfamiliar feelings for Gabby. Will he be her next heartbreak?

**************************************************

Um WOW is all I can say after reading the first installment in “This Trilogy!” I d
Dawn Gloss-ivory
Broken, just read this past weekend and then again the beginning of the following week, this is such a wonderful book. You immediately fall in love with the characters, the main, Gabby is so like able and real. Her relationship with her sister Sam is envious! You will weep for those who fail Gabby and rejoice in what she finds. It is rare that I want to reread a book, especially so quickly, but I wanted more time with these amazing characters and story. I can not wait for part 2 of the trilogy t ...more
Ruth Ann
I enjoyed reading this book. It was written in a different style. Every other chapter is either the past or the present. It took me a little bit to get used to this style but I found myself enjoying it.

This is the story of Gabby and Bradley. Bradley is a drop dead gorgeous wealthy bachelor with piercing blue eyes. He was used to getting what he wanted all the time. He met his match with Gabby. She didn't want anything to do with him because of her painful past. This is their story...
Melissa
Why, why, why was this book so short??? I loved it. I felt so bad for Gabby and her painful past. Trust is a hard thing to give people when you are so distrustful. I want everything to work out for her, I want her to be happy. I was really able to connect with Gabby while reading. I wish it was a little longer and we got a better look at Bradley. It sounds like we will get to know him better in Mending. I am now going to be impatiently waiting the release of Mending!!!
Amber Chi
Anne OK
Lots of whining and crying and sniveling conversations. I didn't really feel the love at all. There's definitely a cliffhanger at the end and the story continues in the second book, "Mending." I'm not sure I'll even give it a chance for redemption. Just didn't keep my attention very well at all.
Sara
As a debut novel this was a nice short read.

The story begins with Gabby as she I getting ready to attend her cousins wedding. Gabby is young, shy and a bit insecure. She has a past that did a number on her and she isn’t quite over that yet.

At the wedding she meets a handsome stranger, one of the ushers who sets her on fire from the small touch of her hand on his arm. Could it be that he feels the same thing? Bradley Banks, Mr. Tall Dark and oh so sexy feels an instant attraction to Gabby but i
NovelJunkies
3.5 Stars

Broken is an emotional story about learning to love and trust after you have been broken. Gabby is a young college student who has gone through heartbreak. She has built up walls in hopes to numb the pain of her past. Nothing seems to go her way... Then she meets Bradley at a wedding. It was instant chemistry. The rest of the book is about Gabby trying to accept a loving relationship with Bradley.

"You make me greedy for you. I just can't get enough. I wish you would just accept it for
Alicia Taylor
Wow what an amazing book. Gabby is so easy to connect to and I felt every bit of her pain! Ian is so smooth. I liked him a lot at first, until her breaks her heart. I love the book for the simple fact that loads of people can sympathise with the heartache Gabby feels. Then she meets Bradley. :D

Oh Bradley, he had me at the first grin he gives her at the wedding. I like an alpha male so it pulled me into him straight away, the. He climbs over mountains to be with her after making an ass of himsel
Amanda

OMG! Just finished broken and absolutely fell in love with it. The characters captured me and I was able to feel their emotions and put myself in gabby's place and was able to feel how broken she is and at the same time feel how badly she wants to be "fixed". I got so engrossed in the story and so emotionally involved that I wanted to run Ian and Lindsay over in my car for being complete jack assess!! The chemistry between Bradley and Gabby is phenomenal and I can't wait to see how everything t
Tamara Brown

What an amazing story. This book had me captivated from the beginning. It has such a beautiful, romantic, and sad story line. Gabby has more baggage than baggage claim. I can't wait for the second book in this trilogy to find out what happens with Gabby and Bradley. I love how the book takes you back to when her heartbreak happened and back to the present at the same time. I cried several times throughout this book. Can't wait J.B. McGee for the second book. You are a very talented writer.
Jojo Bungenaar
I loved this story and I loved the two main characters. This book has been very cleverly written. I loved how this was written in both the past and the present but it was in no way confusing. As some books show you a little bit of people's past this showed you quite a bit which enabled you to relate with the female lead. I would seriously recommend this book to anyone. I am so looking forward to the next one. This book deserves its 5 stars and more x
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
3.5 Stars
This book had potential....has potential. Afterall it's a series. I think my biggest problem was perhaps the writing style which was 3rd person. I'm not a huge fan. I also didn't have a very strong connection to either of the main characters. However for the price I paid of $.99 it was an entertaining enough read and has me invested enough to see where the storyline goes.....
Deb
OMG....so well written....believable characters....so much hurt;( Gabby is so broken ..... You root for her from chapter 1..... Please Bradley......find a way to put her back together....no young girl should have this much pain:( waiting to see what happens next......please please please HEA is so desperately needed for this story! Loved this...quick read....couldn't put it down!
Terri Lou
Absolutely amazing! I love this book! Gabby n Bradley are amazing characters. You feel like your in the story with them! You can tell these will be chemistry from the moment they met! J B McGee you blow me away with your writing skills. Totally amazing. Can't wait for book 2+3! Totally deserving of 5% stars xx
Drh
This book leaves you wanting more .....SO BEAUTIFUL !!!

Cant wait for book 2....!!!

Love it...

I really loved Bradley/Gabby's story it was a touching,romantic story of two people's journey to find their way to each other.

" Anything worth having is never simple or easy, Gabby ...."

Melissa
OK. You know you like a book when you stay up way too late to read even though you can't keep your eyes open and then wake up before dawn to finish it. And then you're sad its over :-( But wait book 2 is already on my kindle. looks like coffee is just going to have to wait! I need to know!!!!
B.J.
I loved the style of this book. The chapters alternating was a great concept to reveal the truth of the past and why Gabby is closed off in the present. Bradley Banks made me swoon, simply with the efforts he goes to. Can't wait for Mended :)
Christina
loved this book.. I normally do not care for books that jump back and forth with dates but it worked for this book. I liked how the story was more true to real life than most books. Can't wait for the next one!!
Heather
Beautiful how the chapters go back and forth between past and present... Really get a feel for what causes her hesitance at the moment. The end is a little rushed but still a great lead into the next book.
Marie Price
I absolutely loved this book. It completely gripped me right from the beginning. The style of writing kept you guessing and I had to get Mending straight away. Would recommend this to everyone
  • Saving Grace
  • Ten Days of Perfect (November Blue, #1)
  • Breaking Beautiful (Broken, #2)
  • Planning on Forever (The Forever Series, #1)
  • Schooled
  • The Submission of Alistair Ingram (Dolls & Doms, #1)
  • Bouquet Toss (Love of My Life, #1)
  • Bound Together (Bound Together, #1)
  • Overwhelm Me (Callahan, #1)
  • Moving Forward (Timing is Everything, #1)
  • A Toast to the Good Times
  • Love Evolution (Brutal Strength, #1; Black Cat Records, #1)
  • Fury (The Sound Wave Series, #1)
  • Wreck Me (Wrecked, #1)
  • The Note
  • The Valentine's Arrangement (Hard Feelings, #1)
  • Butterfly Weeds (Butterfly Weeds, #1)
  • Running on Empty (Mending Hearts, #1)
J.B. McGee was born and raised in Aiken, South Carolina. She is the mother of two beautiful children and a stay at home mom/entrepreneur. She finished her Bachelor of Arts degree in Early Childhood Education at the University of South Carolina-Aiken in 2006. During her time studying children's literature, a professor had encouraged her to become a writer.

In 2011, it was discovered that both of her
More about J.B. McGee...

This (6 books)
  • Mending (This, #2)
  • Forgiven (This, #3)
  • Falling (This, #4)
  • Trying (This, #5)
  • Blinded (This, #6)
Mending (This, #2) Forgiven (This, #3) Conspiring (This, #2.5) Skipping Stones Destination to be Determined (The Traveler Series #1)

“I have more baggage than baggage claim. I'm damaged goods. I'm not good at...” she released him for a moment and fingered between the two of them “this.”

“Well, I think you're dancing just fine, Miss Gerhart.” he smirked. He knew that was not what she meant, but he had hoped to lighten their mood. Maybe if he could get her to relax she would give him a chance.”
17 likes
“I have tried to get you off my mind for the entire summer. I know that we don’t really know each other. I had to see if I saw you again, if I touched you again, if this, this feeling would still be here.” 16 likes