Start by marking “A Christmas Surprise” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Surprise

A Christmas Surprise

If I hear one more debutante declare that they will never marry unless it is for love, well. I shall break my quill! And we all know what happens when I break my quill. Things become very up-setting and it isn’t long before I--- Well, that is quite another story. Let this author, this matriarch, this paragon of society guide you with her infinite wisdom. It is apparent tha ...more
Published November 7th 2012 by Astraea Press

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Surprise

Inspired Kathy
Jan 02, 2013 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A Christmas Surprise was a sweet clean historic Christmas novella that I rather enjoyed. Other than Jane Austen & Jane Eyre & dozens of Holocaust tales, a handful of other books, I've not read a lot of historic novels. I think I am going to start reading more of them.

I admit there were some terms I had no clue what they meant. Somewhere in my upbringing I've missed out on the definitions of words like "hoyden", "rakehell" & "ton". At least I'm learning something new as I read books
InD'tale Magazine

The premise for this sweet Christmas novella is not unique. The problem of marrying within one’s class has always been a conundrum readers love to explore.

Read full review in the 2012 Holiday issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Nov 19, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
I love Christmas stories. It's my favorite time of the year. Okay now to the story. I am not big historical or regency fan or expert--I read so little of them that I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a regency and a Victorian? Is that such a thing. So when someone recommended I read this I was skeptical. But I read it and I loved it. I read enough that I know that all the mama's are matchmaking during the London season to the point of harassment for the poor bachelors. However, Ms. ...more
Dec 01, 2012 Petula added it
3*** A sweet historical romance. The hero is a wounded soldier who doesn't want the ladies of the ton to know who he is. The heroine doesn't care who he is she wants him anyway. Not enough adventure for me but a readable book.
Dec 19, 2012 Tamara rated it really liked it
I generally don't read historicals, but I won this one, and I really enjoyed it.Full review to come
Kathleen Grieve
Dec 25, 2012 Kathleen Grieve rated it it was amazing
This was really good! I can't wait for the next book!
Mar 05, 2013 Suri rated it liked it
It was ok. Heroine's personality esp at first wasn't exactly endearing. I mean she sure was rude to the gentleman who I think did ask her nicely for a dance. The writer neglected to exactly explain why she wasn't in the best of moods during that first chapter and seemed to hate being there. She came off as a snob and full of herself.
And then there was the main plot where imo, the hero took such a long time in confessing and finally get to marriage. It took months, most of them apart I might add
Jan 12, 2013 Brenda rated it liked it
I thought the story itself was quite cute and fun, but I didn't care for the heroine at all. It started on the first page when she was rude and mocking to the gentleman she was dancing with and continued throughout the novel. I wouldn't have been her friend, would have quit as her ladies maid, and probably slapped her had I been her parent...
Rebecca (everyday reader)
A sweet story of a man with a limp back from being in the military trying to stay off the radar of the members of the marriage market: for he is a marquess and heir to a dukedom, and a shy commoner with no prospects for marriage whom he spends time with, falls in love with, shares his secret, and proposes to. Great Christmas read!!
Jan 01, 2013 Barbara rated it did not like it
This was so over the top that I could hardly finish. The story was preposterous at best, sabers, indeed. Aleece and Mr. Thomas, who really is the heir to a duke, fall in love and then he has to tell her he is no ordinary Mr. My reaction? so what/ Didn't care by that time.
Jan 01, 2014 Charissa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Lady Aleece and Mr. Thomas fall in love, but Aleece knows her father will never approve of marriage since Mr. Thomas is below her station. A fun read full of captured moments of romance, secrets, and plotting by parents.
Jan 13, 2013 Nellie rated it really liked it
This was a fun, clean, romance. I enjoyed it. From the book: Lady Aleece, poor young dear never stood a chance! Can you imagine being mauled in public? By a commoner no less? Although, rumors have been running rampant that this very delicious commoner is in fact the Marquess of Somerset
Jennifer R Leonard
Jennifer R Leonard rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Catherine Bennett
Catherine Bennett rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Carla rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2013
Raffaela rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Tiffany rated it did not like it
Oct 23, 2014
Siobhan Williams
Siobhan Williams rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Ali rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
jamie griffin
jamie griffin rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2014
Aprilfool79 rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Kathy Ihde
Kathy Ihde rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Marsha rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Kristine Zarcone
Kristine Zarcone rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2015
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2013
ilyhalli rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Ruth Hartman
Ruth Hartman rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
Donna rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2014