Start by marking “Wicked Cruel” as Want to Read:
Wicked Cruel

Wicked Cruel

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Everyone's heard an urban legend before. They're stories that get passed from kid to kid, and nobody can quite remember where the story originated. Sometimes the story changes. Sometimes details are added, or dropped. But one thing's for sure: nobody can ever prove whether the story is true. These three stories—all set in the same New England town—address that very questio ...more
Published August 6th 2013 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Cruel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Cruel

Manny Martinez
Oct 29, 2015 Manny Martinez rated it liked it
Wicked Cruel By: Rich Wallace

Do you like reading scary books because if you do this one is for you? The gnre of this book is folktale becase this is book that has been passed by generation,told in different ways. My overall opinion of the story is that the 3 storys were very good only one thing I thing I didn't like was the endin for th first story which is called "Wicked Cruel"By the way this book has 3 storys 1."Wicked Cruel",2."The Horses of Brickyard Pond",3."Rites of Passage".

The setting
Eden
Sep 21, 2014 Eden rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween, reviewed
Wicked Cruel has three stories set in the same New England town and each has to do with an Urban Legend.

The first story follows Jordan and he thinks he is being haunted by a former classmate who everyone bullied.

The second story follows Danny, who doesn't really fit in and is fascinated by the local legend of ghost horses.

And third follows Owen,who dances with a ghost girl and doesn't know it at first. But later, he wants to see her again and find out more about her.

I don't know if I would any
Kayla Kalisz
Aug 01, 2016 Kayla Kalisz rated it really liked it
I never had high expectations for this book. Personally I just liked the fact that it was a quick read and a fun yet eerie idea of some urban legends.
Did it make my skin crawl or want to hide in my room with a nightlight on for the next few days?
Absolutely not, yet it was still somewhat eerie and fun to read. I enjoyed the stories, some more than others, and the writing wasn't all that bad for middle grade, so I don't see much of a problem.
Wait, there actually was a pretty big one, the endings.
Paula
Apr 27, 2015 Paula rated it it was ok
This is a collection of three ghostly stories that are all set in the same small New England town. The first is an urban legend associated with a bullied boy that reportedly moved away and died of brain injuries. Yet he is mysteriously appearing in a music video and begins to haunt two of his tormentors. The second relates the tale of a team of horses that perished in a brickyard flood. The ghost horses mysteriously appear on rainy nights to once again run free. The third tells the tale of a gho ...more
Nicole
Feb 18, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Wicked Cruel: Three Urban Legends by Rich Wallace
Alfred A. Knopf, 2013
Fantasy
195 pages
Recommended for grades 4-7

Ghost story time! This book is a collection of three stories, all set in a college town in New Hampshire (based on Keene, New Hampshire)
What if urban legends were not made up, what if there was truth to these supernatural tales?
That's what this book is all about, and it is tons of fun!
In each story the main character is a middle school-ish aged boy. The characters feel so genuine, thei
Mehsi
I am disappointed, I expected some great urban legends/horror stories. However, it fell short.

First story:

What I liked:
-The creepiness, there was plenty of creepiness and horror stuff happening.
-The Urban Legend.

What I didn't like:
-The ending. Oh My Gosh, it sucked. It ends like that? Easy as that? We will never find out more? Urgh.
-The characters, while Jordan didn't exactly do much to Lorne he still participated in the bullying, pushing Lorne away when they were doing things. That made the ch
Ms. Yingling
Nov 12, 2013 Ms. Yingling rated it really liked it
These three short stories are set in the New England town of Cheshire Notch. The first, "Wicked Cruel", details the experiences of a boy who thinks he sees a former annoying classmate in a music video-- but that classmate has passed away from brain injuries, most likely caused by repeated beatings received at the hands of the boy and his classmates. Is the boy really dead? Is he really haunting Jordan? The next, "The Horses of Brickyard Pond", covers Halloween night and follows Danny and Claudin ...more
Anne
Apr 08, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
Three short stories set in a small New England town, tell of three different urban legends. They range from creepy to mysterious but nothing terrifying.
I especially liked the story of the "Horses of Brickyard Pond" where hoofbeats can be heard and sometimes horses can be seen that supposedly drowned in the brickyard centuries ago. The other tales include one about bullying gone wrong and the other about a haunted building.
Karen DelleCava
Jan 07, 2014 Karen DelleCava rated it it was amazing
Three eerie tales of suspense and horror take place in the spooky, richly detailed setting of Cheshire Notch, New Hampshire. Each main character drew me into his story with a generous dose of humor. The spot on dialogue of middle schoolers, Jordan (Wicked Cruel), Danny (The Horses Brickyard Pond) and Owen (Rites of Passage) and their friends kept me turning pages quickly as they dealt with not only the awesome creepiness that loomed but also relatable issues of bullying, fractured sibling relati ...more
Kourtney
Jun 12, 2014 Kourtney rated it really liked it
A cool collection of 3 short stories all set in the same New England town. This is a great middle grade read. Spooky without being too scary.

The first short story involves an urban legend about a kid who was bullied and hit by everyone in school. Later, they find out he died of a brain injury. And they think he is haunting them. The author does a fantastic job capturing the guilt and remorse that the biggest bully and the littlest bully feel. He really makes the reader think about the ramificat
Lori
Apr 03, 2014 Lori rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile, horror

These three short stories based on urban legends were pretty good, creepy enough for the young.

I was intrigued by the urban legend basis of each story but the book didn't really give you the original legend. That would have been a welcome addition.
Sgilbert
Mar 30, 2016 Sgilbert rated it it was ok
Decent read for boys especially. Mostly for younger readers, but it could work well with HS kids who "hate" to read.
Linda
Feb 04, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Kirkus sums up my thoughts, "Well-crafted eerie tales of the bonds between the dead and the living. Wicked good."
Marla
Maine Student Book Award Nominee 2014-2015
Mara
Aug 19, 2013 Mara rated it it was amazing
Really fun, spooky collection of three novellas set in the same New Hampshire town around Halloween. This is a great book for upper middle grade readers (particularly boys). Each long story incorporates a unique urban legend (and the term "wicked") and nicely developed male protagonists. Great cover, too! The first tale is the longest, but I liked stories #2 and #3 better. Perfect Halloween reading, especially for a reluctant reader.
Barbara
May 23, 2014 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-lyrc
Three ghost stories. Good for middle school kids who like scary!
Amy Seibert
Jul 18, 2014 Amy Seibert rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth-horror
Three urban legends, all which take place in one New England town. I had never heard of these urban legends before, and I’m wondering if they are familiar in that part of the country and are real local legends or if they were created just for this book. A short addition or note detailing the “inspiration” for the stories would have been great.
Steacy Morris
All three stories in the book were okay, but I really got stuck on reading them, they all were good and a littler creepy in their own right, but I just had a hard time sticking to them. I am however glad I read the whole book and all three stories because the last one was the best. More of a younger audience.
Rachel's Book Reviews
Jul 24, 2013 Rachel's Book Reviews rated it it was ok
Well, It was ok, maybe it deserves a three star. I'm just not that much of a short story gal. They have their place, I'm just not a short story reader.

Ah well,

Review later (promise I'll point out it's better features ;)
Hilary
Oct 14, 2014 Hilary rated it really liked it
Shelves: msba-14-15
The first of the 3 tales was my least favorite. It felt like it was being written by a 15 year old boy. Maybe that was the point, but I didn't like it. The 3rd was the best, very creepy.
Jenifer
Sep 02, 2013 Jenifer rated it really liked it
This book had some really creepy moments. The first story was the most eerie. I loved the setting of the quaint New England college town for all three of the stories.
Mrs. McGuire
Jun 03, 2013 Mrs. McGuire rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2013
A nice creepy book. The stories are just long enough, and the endings sneak up on you.
This review is based on an ARC provided to me by the publisher.
Domini Phillips
Sep 04, 2013 Domini Phillips rated it really liked it
Even though the stories were intended for children, I still found them enjoyable. Really got me in the Halloween spirit a little early.
Robyne
Feb 08, 2016 Robyne rated it liked it
3 short stories based on urban legends. An ok read but the stories may be a little mature for some readers.
May 13, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Interesting but I felt like I wanted more of each of the stories. It was like there was no real closure.
Pamela
Aug 16, 2013 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the three stories. Got this from the library, bu want to buy and own it now.
Dee Price
Jan 15, 2016 Dee Price rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, eerie
Three urban legends retold with a modern twist.
Gillian Dawson
Could have been creepier.
Maia
Maia marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016