Start by marking “Wicked Cruel” as Want to Read:
Wicked Cruel

Wicked Cruel

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Everyone's heard an urban legend before. They're stories that get passed from kid to kid, and nobody can quite remember where the story originated. Sometimes the story changes. Sometimes details are added, or dropped. But one thing's for sure: nobody can ever prove whether the story is true. These three stories—all set in the same New England town—address that very questio ...more
Published August 6th 2013 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Cruel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Cruel

Mehsi
I am disappointed, I expected some great urban legends/horror stories. However, it fell short.

First story:

What I liked:
-The creepiness, there was plenty of creepiness and horror stuff happening.
-The Urban Legend.

What I didn't like:
-The ending. Oh My Gosh, it sucked. It ends like that? Easy as that? We will never find out more? Urgh.
-The characters, while Jordan didn't exactly do much to Lorne he still participated in the bullying, pushing Lorne away when they were doing things. That made the ch
Eden
Wicked Cruel has three stories set in the same New England town and each has to do with an Urban Legend.

The first story follows Jordan and he thinks he is being haunted by a former classmate who everyone bullied.

The second story follows Danny, who doesn't really fit in and is fascinated by the local legend of ghost horses.

And third follows Owen,who dances with a ghost girl and doesn't know it at first. But later, he wants to see her again and find out more about her.

I don't know if I would any
Nicole
Wicked Cruel: Three Urban Legends by Rich Wallace
Alfred A. Knopf, 2013
Fantasy
195 pages
Recommended for grades 4-7

Ghost story time! This book is a collection of three stories, all set in a college town in New Hampshire (based on Keene, New Hampshire)
What if urban legends were not made up, what if there was truth to these supernatural tales?
That's what this book is all about, and it is tons of fun!
In each story the main character is a middle school-ish aged boy. The characters feel so genuine, thei
Ms. Yingling
These three short stories are set in the New England town of Cheshire Notch. The first, "Wicked Cruel", details the experiences of a boy who thinks he sees a former annoying classmate in a music video-- but that classmate has passed away from brain injuries, most likely caused by repeated beatings received at the hands of the boy and his classmates. Is the boy really dead? Is he really haunting Jordan? The next, "The Horses of Brickyard Pond", covers Halloween night and follows Danny and Claudin ...more
Anne
Three short stories set in a small New England town, tell of three different urban legends. They range from creepy to mysterious but nothing terrifying.
I especially liked the story of the "Horses of Brickyard Pond" where hoofbeats can be heard and sometimes horses can be seen that supposedly drowned in the brickyard centuries ago. The other tales include one about bullying gone wrong and the other about a haunted building.
Karen DelleCava
Three eerie tales of suspense and horror take place in the spooky, richly detailed setting of Cheshire Notch, New Hampshire. Each main character drew me into his story with a generous dose of humor. The spot on dialogue of middle schoolers, Jordan (Wicked Cruel), Danny (The Horses Brickyard Pond) and Owen (Rites of Passage) and their friends kept me turning pages quickly as they dealt with not only the awesome creepiness that loomed but also relatable issues of bullying, fractured sibling relati ...more
Kourtney
A cool collection of 3 short stories all set in the same New England town. This is a great middle grade read. Spooky without being too scary.

The first short story involves an urban legend about a kid who was bullied and hit by everyone in school. Later, they find out he died of a brain injury. And they think he is haunting them. The author does a fantastic job capturing the guilt and remorse that the biggest bully and the littlest bully feel. He really makes the reader think about the ramificat
Lori

These three short stories based on urban legends were pretty good, creepy enough for the young.

I was intrigued by the urban legend basis of each story but the book didn't really give you the original legend. That would have been a welcome addition.
Dec 03, 2014 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Not feeling it. Takes urban legend type tales, and stretches them far longer than the content actually will support. It's tedious, and lacks in the suspense that a short to the point urban legend needs to be effective.
Linda
Kirkus sums up my thoughts, "Well-crafted eerie tales of the bonds between the dead and the living. Wicked good."
Mara
Really fun, spooky collection of three novellas set in the same New Hampshire town around Halloween. This is a great book for upper middle grade readers (particularly boys). Each long story incorporates a unique urban legend (and the term "wicked") and nicely developed male protagonists. Great cover, too! The first tale is the longest, but I liked stories #2 and #3 better. Perfect Halloween reading, especially for a reluctant reader.
Barbara
Three ghost stories. Good for middle school kids who like scary!
Amy Seibert
Three urban legends, all which take place in one New England town. I had never heard of these urban legends before, and I’m wondering if they are familiar in that part of the country and are real local legends or if they were created just for this book. A short addition or note detailing the “inspiration” for the stories would have been great.
Rachel's Book Reviews
Well, It was ok, maybe it deserves a three star. I'm just not that much of a short story gal. They have their place, I'm just not a short story reader.

Ah well,

Review later (promise I'll point out it's better features ;)
Hilary
The first of the 3 tales was my least favorite. It felt like it was being written by a 15 year old boy. Maybe that was the point, but I didn't like it. The 3rd was the best, very creepy.
Jenifer
This book had some really creepy moments. The first story was the most eerie. I loved the setting of the quaint New England college town for all three of the stories.
Mrs. McGuire
A nice creepy book. The stories are just long enough, and the endings sneak up on you.
This review is based on an ARC provided to me by the publisher.
Domini Phillips
Even though the stories were intended for children, I still found them enjoyable. Really got me in the Halloween spirit a little early.
Pamela
Really enjoyed the three stories. Got this from the library, bu want to buy and own it now.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Sue Maloney
Sue Maloney marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Oshaveon W
Oshaveon W is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2014