Start by marking “Eating My Feelings: Tales of Overeating, Underperforming, and Coping with My Crazy Family” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The follow-up collection of comic essays from a self-publishing dynamo, which skewers his struggles with weight and body image, both as a kid in the 1980s and as a gay man in the 2000s.

Mark Rosenberg has had more ups and downs with his weight than Oprah-but unlike Oprah, no one gives a sh*t. Coming of age very outrageously as an overweight, soon-to-be gay kid, he learns to
Published August 6th 2013 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Eating My Feelings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating My Feelings

Debra
Aug 03, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads-won
Received from GoodReads first reads giveaway.

This book was fantastic. It was laugh out loud funny. I loved the writing style. The writing was not only top notch, but it was hilarious, sarcastic, witty, intelligent, and I did not want it to end. I highly recommend this book. It is a great summer read. Heck, it is a great read any time of the year. I especially loved the beginning of the book. Mark was an overweight kid with a Jewish father and Christian Mother who divorced while he was a
Jillyn
Aug 10, 2013 Jillyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
If Mark Rosenberg knows about one thing, it's messed up families and hilarious situations. Using humor, he talks about his lifelong struggle with weight, drugs, relationships and so much more with the flair and sassy attitude that only a gay man residing in New York City can deliver. Eating My Feelings is a collection of nonfiction essays spanning over his life, from childhood to recent years, and each one is as laugh-out-loud funny as the first.

---

I didn't really know what to expect out of this
Teena in Toronto
May 07, 2013 Teena in Toronto rated it it was amazing
I'd never heard of Mark Brennan Rosenberg so didn't know what to expect ... I've since discovered that this is his second book and he blogs at the Huffington Post.

The title of this book had caught my eye ... and I'm glad it did because I really enjoyed it!

Mark is the son of a Jewish dad and a Christian mom (his dad has been married four times and Mark's mom was his second wife). Mark was an overweight gay kid who liked nothing better than to sit on the couch, pig out and watch soap operas.

Each c
Rebecca Jo
Aug 08, 2013 Rebecca Jo rated it it was ok
"I've had more ups & down with my weight then Oprah"

I received this book to review from Amazon. By the title, I knew it would be funny & I knew it would be about weight loss.. I was half way wrong on both accounts.

It did have funny parts, but was so overwhelming shadowed by the language... call me a prude...
& the weight loss part wasn't really that much a story of his weight loss. Yeah, he was a chubby kid, but after one summer at 'fat camp' his dad tricked him into going, his weigh
Sue-Ellen
Jun 23, 2013 Sue-Ellen rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of this author before but am so glad to have read this book. Every chapter of this book was a great and honest story of a time in Mark's life. I have never laughed so much or related to someone's stories of food issues like this book.

I love reading a book that is not only honest but also well written and that is exactly what you will get with this book.

Thanks to Net Galley for the opportunity to read this book before it comes out. Trust me this is one book you definitely want
Stealthilicious Stacie
* Received from Net Galley

What started out to be an amusing memoir about the author's formative years ended with me feeling disappointed. I thought Rosenberg and I would be BFF's by the end of the book but instead I was left feeling like a quickie relationship gone wrong. I'm not sure what let me down but I guess I expected more about the author's relationship with food. There were plenty of laugh out loud moments but overall I feel meh about the book as a whole. I'd still like to go get brunch
Darla
Sep 18, 2013 Darla rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a complimentary copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I really wanted to like this book more than I did. And I really want to give it a better review than I am about to. It was enjoyable enough to keep reading, but it just wasn't as funny as I was promised that it would be. Sure, I cracked a smile here and there, but I didn't LOL and I was led to believe that this would definitely happen. I mean, I don't want my money back or anything. Oh,
Giggle Snort
Jul 15, 2013 Giggle Snort rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
“I will always be a fat kid at heart, no matter how skinny I become.”

I had never heard of Mark Rosenberg and if I’m honest, it was the cover and title that grabbed my attention more than anything, and I can say with certainty it was a pleasant turn of events.

With a Catholic mother and Jewish father, it was always going to be an interesting for Mark Rosenberg. Add in a sprinkle of gay along with a good splash of smart-ass and you have yourselves one hell of a hilarious rollercoaster.

When you mix
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
I'm a xenophile. I love to skip out of my own life and peek into the lives of other folks. I like reading about mountain climbers, and spelunkers, and... well, explorers and everyday folk.

Consequently I found Mark Rosenberg's book pretty interesting. He gave me a look not only into the life of a gay dude, but a look into his own psychology, his own mind (as interpreted by his own mind, of course).

Now I requested EATING MY FEELINGS because a reading-buddy told me it was hysterical. And perhaps it
Laura Beth
Aug 04, 2013 Laura Beth rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS! **I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for a fair & honest review.**

I got this book in the mail yesterday and devoured it (haha) in a few hours. Mark recounts his childhood of the 80s & 90s, which was heavily influenced by Dynasty & Erica Kane, and his childhood traumas. Traumas include an evil stepmother (What happened to her??? What happened the night of the knife stabbing????), religious guilt (1/2 Jewish & 1/2 Catholic), theater camp ---> bas
Roseanne Saraceno
Aug 21, 2013 Roseanne Saraceno rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for my new favorite author Mark Rosenberg's second book. As a fan of his first book "Blackouts and Breakdowns" as well as his blog and articles on The Huffington Post, I couldn't wait for "Eating My Feelings" to come out. Happy to say I was not disappointed. I not only felt Mark has improved as a writer, but I got more insight into his entertaining and hilarious antics. Besides being female and straight, Mark and I have so much in common...for starters ...more
Rob Ballister
Jan 23, 2016 Rob Ballister rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, gay-humor
Very honest, occasionally laugh out loud, but definitely "R" rated. Chronicles how the author felt about being an overweight effeminate child on the way to becoming a physically fit and sexually active gay man.
Katy
Aug 04, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book from a first reads giveaway. I originally selected the book based on the title, and hoped the rest of the book was able to live up to the engaging title. Luckily, I was not disappointed. The entire book covers the life of Mark and the colorful characters and escapades that filled his life. Humor is found on every page as this gay man tries to navigate life with his crazy family, friends, relationships, and love of soap operas. The only issue I had with the book was ...more
Christina
Oct 22, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
I loved this easy, breezy book from the introduction. My future BFF (a current writer for The Huffington Post) spoke of his love of Clueless, Britney Spears, Melrose Place, Erica Cane, In Living Color, and well, food. He was an overweight child with a weird family dynamic and turned some of his strange and sometimes sad situations into hilarious stories. The second half of his book focused more on stories of living in NYC, searching for a boyfriend, and staying in shape. I really loved his snark ...more
Excalibur Snape
Jun 22, 2013 Excalibur Snape rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for interesting covers and titles (food is just a bonus) this book has that and more.
I thought that this book was just going to be the same old self help book but it turned out to be much much more.
it is a novel and a damn funny one.
It had me laughing my damn ass off and that's a lot of ass.
I highly recommend this book.
This book is for mature readers only.
Questionable subject matters and mature language.
This book is worth a gazillion reads.
Good book to read if you are in a reading s
Sue
Feb 12, 2015 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
Light but enjoyable reading. I wasn't expecting a humorous read, but that's what I got
Kristin McPhillips
Sep 16, 2013 Kristin McPhillips rated it liked it
This is like the Taylor Swift of books--page out of his adolescent diary. Instead of being like a memoir of him looking back through nuanced, adult-ish eyes It's like he actually wrote these stories when he was fifteen. On one hand it's somewhat poorly written and full of cliches and he definitely thinks he is much funnier and more original than he his, and on the other hand, I just like it. I think it's an age thing-- I am also of the clueless generation and I like revisiting the cultural refer ...more
Estephany Santos
i think its about feelings
Gabrielle
Aug 03, 2013 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I found my Soul Mate!!! I can't believe how absolutely perfect this book is.

It has everything, including but NOT limited to: 80's and 90's pop culture references (I almost died after I seen Taylor Daynes name), a wicked stepmother, useful knowledge of delivery service in New York, gay-boy problems, camp stories and of course Mark.

The only disappointment is that Mark and Ron didn't suddenly realize how perfect for each other they are, like Cher and Josh. I'll keep my fingers crossed until the n
Aug 22, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
What can I say about the writing of Mark Rosenberg? His newest book, "Eating My Feelings" is another winner. An obsessive over-eater with a flare for snark, his stories of his childhood will make you cover your eyes with embarrassment that you can't stop giggling uncontrollably. For anyone that has felt they were different, had a crazy family, and was just trying to figure out life (isn't that everyone?) you will truly enjoy this book.
Lauren
Sep 20, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
The first thing I did when I picked up "Eating My Feelings" was look at the table of contents. The chapters all sounded hilarious, but I knew when I spotted "Searching for Jackie Collins" that I had found a compatriot! Rosenberg's second book chronicles some of the crazy things he's done, my favorite being his childhood blackmail scheme (it was to get out of playing sports - totally justifiable), and I laughed the entire time!
Victoria McCormick
Aug 24, 2013 Victoria McCormick rated it liked it
I recieved this book from a GoodReads giveaway. I thought it was a pretty good biography, it was funny but the author did tend to use a lot of cursing (which though at times could and would add to the story, many times just took away and made the author seem crass). I did get quite a few laughs from the story and it was an alright story. If you like Chelsea Handler's books, you will like this author as well.
Jamie
Jul 17, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a "First Read" winner. I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but what really caught my attention was the cover. This book was funny and I loved all the references to the Daytime TV shows Mark watched as a child. I didn't know who Mark Rosenberg was before reading this, but now that I do, I plan on picking up his other book to read soon!
George William
Aug 09, 2013 George William rated it it was amazing
I literally finished this book in a day - I could not put it down. It had me laughing from beginning to end. If you like to laugh and have ever had issues with weight or body image, you will certainly find this book worth reading. Probably the funniest book I've read in years. Highly recommended and anyone who doesn't think this book is funny has absolutely no sense of humor.
Sam Haines
Jul 12, 2013 Sam Haines rated it it was amazing
From beginning to end, this book had me rolling on the floor laughing! Mark's childhood adventures are not just hilarious, they're heartwarming too. From his debacle at basketball camp to his unsuccessful relationships in adulthood (with food AND men), this book is so going to be this summer's guilty pleasure beach-read! I can't wait to read his next one!
Marissa
Aug 08, 2013 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received from GoodReads' First Reads giveaway.

I am absolutely in love with this man. His stories are HILARIOUS, especially the childhood ones that included his evil bobble head stepmother and the one about his time at fat camp. I found myself literally laughing out while reading this book. I think I found a new Gay BFF.
Jodi Harrington
Aug 21, 2013 Jodi Harrington rated it really liked it
I connected with Mark on so many levels - his love of food that has controlled his life, his hatred for his stepmom (man, is she a b.... and then some)... I found myself b*tching at the book every time she would pull her antics. It's an enjoyable read. I love how he isn't afraid to swear or be straight forward.
Robin
Mar 01, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
good but not great.
Joanna
Aug 18, 2013 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I thought this book was hilarious - it actually made me laugh out loud throughout! Mark Rosenberg certainly knows how to tell a great story!
Susan Byrne
Aug 28, 2013 Susan Byrne rated it it was amazing
Received this book from a giveaway on here. This book was so much fun!! I have a crazy family too so I could so relate! Loved it!
  • The C List: Chemotherapy, Clinics and Cupcakes: How I Survived Colon Cancer
  • Shooting Stars: My Unexpected Life Photographing Hollywood's Most Famous
  • Grin and Bear It: How to Be Happy No Matter What Reality Throws Your Way
  • A Beginner's Guide to Paradise: 9 Steps to Giving Up Everything So You Too Can: Move to a South Pacific Island, Wear a Loincloth, Read a Hundred Books, Diaper a Baby Monkey, Build a Bungalow,
  • Scars from a Memoir (The Memoir Series, #2)
  • Positive: One Doctor's Personal Encounters with Death, Life, and the US Healthcare System
  • After Cleo
  • Living the Season: Zen Practice for Transformative Times
  • Brain Surgeon: A Doctor's Inspiring Encounters with Mortality and Miracles
  • Holding Fast to Dreams: Empowering Youth from the Civil Rights Crusade to STEM Achievement
  • To the Last Breath: A Memoir of Going to Extremes
  • Painkiller Addict: From wreckage to redemption - my true story
  • Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue
  • How I Shed My Skin: Unlearning the Racist Lessons of a Southern Childhood
  • All The Days Of My Life (So Far)
  • I Will Never Forget: A Daughter's Story of Her Mother's Arduous and Humorous Journey Through Dementia
  • Highs in the Low Fifties: How I Stumbled through the Joys of Single Living
  • My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman