Call of the Jersey Devil

Call of the Jersey Devil

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Five suburban mall rats and a washed up Goth singer find themselves stranded in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey where they discover two horrifying truths: The Jersey Devil, hellspawn of folklore and legend, is real; and New Jersey (as many already suspected) is the gateway to Hell!

With the help of one lone witch, this small group must face off against their deepest fears an...more
Published May 28th 2013 by Spence City

Aurelio Voltaire
Apr 10, 2013 Aurelio Voltaire marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Must love horror and comedy, have a bawdy sense of humor
I've read it! Okay... I wrote it! lol! The editing process is pretty grueling. You end up having to read your own book several dozen times over. I've now done that and there are still parts that me laugh out loud and parts that make me cry. I'll take that as a good sign. I hope you guys enjoy reading this book as much as I've enjoyed dreaming it up.

Voltaire
www.voltaire.net
Emily
Five mall rats: AJ, Prudence, Aleister, and Ari find themselves stranded in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey with the washed up goth singer Villy Bats only to discover that the legendary Jersey Devil is real, and he's here to bring Hell to our world! With the help of the witch Caroline, they fight to close the gates before it's too late. Will they succeed in resisting the calls from Hell and close the gates? Or is the world doomed to be consumed by evil crawling out from New Jersey?*

*Excluding Je...more
A Well Read Woman (April)
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Call of the Jersey Devil Review on K-Books

There are no words to explain just how excited I was when I heard about this book. I instantly wanted to read it because of the publisher it was coming from. The book from Spence City, the new imprint from the best publisher in the world Spencer Hill Press. I will admit that I had never really come across Voltaire before. I had heard his name around the web and stuff but didn't really know who he was and what he did. Let me say that now I am a fully conv...more
Jillyn
Sep 07, 2013 Jillyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: blog
There are far worse things lurking in New Jersey than The Situation. Like for instance, the gateway into Hell. A witch who has taken to resealing this gateway when needed finds herself in the woods with a motley crew of assistance: five misfit teenagers and one bitter has-been Gothic singer. It will take all the strength they have to get rid of the worst thing to come out of New Jersey since the Real Housewives- the infamous Jersey Devil- and not everyone will make it back alive.

----

This book is...more
The Cover Contessa
I want to thank Spence City/Spencer Hill Press for providing me with an ARC of this book. I was very excited to be chosen to read this early. Receiving this book for free has in no way influenced my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Nina at Death Books and Tea
Review: AJ, Prudence, Stuey, Ari and Aleister are on their way to a Goth festival they see advertised at the mall. Villy Bats, the musician is stranded there. As the Goths' minivan crashes, they get stranded in the Pine Barrens and soon discover that the Jersey Devil is real, and that in New Jersey there is a gateway to Hell. As monsters start to pick them off, it's up to the Goths, and witch Caroline, to battle their way out.
Having been a fan of Voltaire's music, I've been waiting for this sinc...more
Skullgirl22
Looking forward to Voltaire's first novel.From the previewed excerpts I can tell is going to be an excellent book.
Saskia
(This review was originally posted at Graveyard Picnic)

Aurelio Voltaire's Call of the Jersey Devil tells the story of a couple of mallrats who crash their car on their way to a non-existent goth festival; there they discover that the horrifying legends of the Jersey Devil are true and that the gates of Hell are in fact, located directly beneath New Jersey. The teenagers run into washed-up goth singer named Villy Bats and a strange woman who claims to be a witch; in the end they all need to work...more
David Stiles
It was great!... for a book that Voltaire gave me free of charge. Seriously, though, it is fantastic. This book was much better than a misadventure in a Mos Eisley cantina involving a lot of angry, sex-starved outlaws. However, for those looking for a scary book, I should mention that when I opened it for the first time, not a single bat flew out of it. Not a one. "Ooooh, sca-ary!" Pfft.
The reading material printed in it, though, was quite spooky and, at times, chilling. There's a good bit of hu...more
Amy
I was given an Advanced Reader Copy. This book is due to be published May 28th.

The idea that the gateway to hell is in a forest in New Jersey is a pretty enticing way to base a novel. As soon as we begin the story we are thrown into the world of this creature and what it is capable of doing, then as we move on to a different world entirely we know it is just a matter of time before two worlds collide and creates the trouble this causes for those involved.

Call of the Jersey Devil tells the story...more
Maghon Thomas
I was so not thinking this book was going to turn out the way it did. HEH, you know, when you sometimes have expectations, you are slightly blown away when it’s not that, but better. I had that here. There are so many great things about this book, and I will have to say, one of my favorite parts is the fact that everything was so easily believable. I could literally picture everything that was happening as it happened. Plus, it’s very detailed, so you never feel like you are missing something fr...more
Book Lovers Never Go to Bed Alone
Aurelio Voltaire describes himself as a “musician, filmmaker, author and gothic horror personality.” While I am not sure what a gothic horror personality is, I suspect it involves large quantities of black clothing and makeup. This assumption is based on the very heavy-laden prose in his debut novel under the author moniker.
Call of the Jersey Devil centers on a group of teens off to see their favorite band. This venture turns into a nightmare when, stranded in The Pines of New Jersey, they find...more
Nazish Ahmed (Nazish Reads)
I rate this book 3.5 stars.

Sorry I didn't post the review here months ago, I just forgot. I thought I already posted it here, but apparently I didn't.

To view the full post and other reviews, click here Call of the Jersey Devil by Aurelio Voltaire

Gore: Yes, lots
Magic: Yes
Romance: No

Action: Yes
Pacing: 3 stars
Plot: 4 stars
Cover: 4 stars

Note: I was going to review this book yesterday, but I still had 30 pages left, so I figured that instead of a early review where I didn't finish the book is not fai...more
Anja Smithe
Wow. Just wow. That's all that came to mind, every time I've read this. I am currently in my 7th reading of this book, and it never fails to move me..to tears, to anger, to fear, to laughter...yes, that's right, I said laughter. The gut-wrenching, side-splitting, jaw-aching, deep from the toes, dying in tears type of laughter that only comes from raucous debauchery. This was such a joy, and I am quite sure that I will only enjoy it more and more with every reading, as I find even more little nua...more
Beau Schemery
I can't say much that hasn't already been said. This was a rollicking fun read. If this were a movie it would be the brain baby of Kevin Smith, Wes Craven and Tim Burton. With Bruce Campbell as Villy (sorry Voltaire) and Jay Mewes as Aleister. It was just the right mix of comedy and horror with a few touching moments to round out the experience.
I'm glad this book was good because I had the chance to meet Voltaire at BEA, where I got the book and he was a terribly nice fellow: I would have felt...more
E.J. Hagadorn
I've never laughed so hard at a book. It was exactly what I needed to top off my day. Now, if you're looking for a book that's edgy, deep and thought-provoking, you will be horribly disappointed. The plot, narration, dialogue, characterization and descriptions all have flaws that speak of a screenplay that didn't make the full transition to novel. Clearly Voltaire is more experienced with writing songs than novels, but I laughed until I cried! If you like Monty-Python-style humor wrapped up in a...more
Fawndolyn Valentine
This book began like any good book should: nice and solid, but able to be put down when I needed to do something else for the rest of the day. The characters were believable teenagers (god, remember when we were like that?!)- Villy and Ari were my favourites! Then when the action picked up, I had to keep reading til they could take a breath. Then it came time to just keep reading or else everyone would die!! Great pace, great story! I just wish someone had faced the Jersey Devil and said, "Who's...more
Forest
This is more a 3.5, but since they don't have that as an option, I'm giving it a 3. I liked the book for it's subject content and I thought the characters of Villy, Ari, and Caroline to be interesting. I think what bothered me though was the (in my opinion) overuse of similes. Yes, I realize that is something odd to be picky about, but it did get to me. Don't let that deter you from reading the book though. If you're in the mood for B grade horror mixed with touches of comedy, then this is the r...more
LeighAnn
If you're a fan of the gothic renaissance artist/musician/animator, Voltaire, then this is a must read, must have for your collection! It contains homages to some of his other works and those of others in the goth community. It's a love letter of his enthusiasm for 80s horror films and the goth community, told with his usual dark humor, grotesque imagery and signature flair for the dramatic. I fully enjoyed and will read it again.
K.C. Shaw
This is a fun, fast-paced book with lots of gore, lots of genuinely funny lines, and an ending that surprised me. I can't decide if it's a sly send-up of horror tropes or if Voltaire was just having a blast throwing everything in that interested him. Maybe both. It's a bit overwritten in places but very visual; apparently it started out as a screenplay. It would make an awesome movie.
Bridget R.
Well, that wasn't the ending I expected!

Despite the macabre elements, this book had a lighthearted tone to it. I laughed many times, and even though the ending wasn't what I expected, I still had a smile on my face after I finished the book.

I'm not sure what else to say. If you like horror that's on the funny side, read this.
Luli Bunny
When I started reading the book I could not leave it aside until I finished it (and I didn´t want it to end!). I really enjoyed it and re read many parts that were touching for me. Loved the characters and dialogues because they felt real and remind me of people I met. I would definitely love to read more novels from Voltaire.
Elisa
I just finished this book and I will definitely read it again. The characters are real and memorable (Ari is very much like someone I have met). The story is well paced and the dialog is both witty and moving. I would love to see more novels like this from Voltaire.
Paul
This is a conditional five. If you're part of the target audience, this is brilliant. But be warned: a taste for B-movie horror is assumed; the humor depends on it. Check out my blog for a more detailed review.
Ricardo Aceves
Macabre, funny, dark, and a side of black eye liner was nothing short of what I expected this book to be. Once again, Aurelio Voltaire blends genres in that whimsical Goth was of his. I definitely recommend it to everyone, experience something new.
Jon
I really liked the book. Read the last few chapters while sitting in the back of a goth club. I laughed. I got misty... and I have one question I will post to the author, once I re-read.
Emilie
This book was pretty fantastic. He really knows how to write his book very seriously then hit you with a sudden burst of funny. Would really recommend this book to people.
Melissa Crory

Engaging and an easy, entertaining read. Reccomended.
Eruwenn
A quick and fun read! Kinda gross, kinda funny, and all Voltaire.
  • True Love's First Kiss (Queen of the Realm of Faerie 1-3)
  • Provex City (The Lorne Family Vault, #1)
  • Day After (The 19th Year, #2)
  • Water & Storm Country (The Country Saga, #3)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • The Earthquake Machine
  • Bewitched (Heven and Hell, #2.5)
  • Bump in the Night
  • Reawakening (Forever Dead, #1)
  • Willy
  • Scary School
  • 21st Century Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • Djinn
  • Evil Outfitters, Ltd.
  • Prophecy Girl (Lacuna Valley, #1)
  • Death and Mr. Right
  • Deadly Remains (A Clairvoyant's Complicated Life #1)
  • Centaur Rivalry (Touched, #3)
What Is Goth? Paint It Black: A Guide to Gothic Homemaking Oh My Goth!: Version 2.0 Oh My Goth! Presents: The Girlz of Goth The Book of Deady

“But he had been the victim of the world’s most common crime—his youth had been kidnapped by a thing called time. It had likely also been raped, dismembered, and buried somewhere never to be seen again” 2 likes
“A noise came from the phone that resembled the sound of a howler monkey having an ice cube inserted into its rectum” 1 likes