A Home on the Field: How One Championship Soccer Team Inspires Hope for the Revival of Small Town America

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A Home on the Field is about faith, loyalty, and trust. It is a parable in the tradition of Stand and Deliver and Hoosiers—a story of one team and their accidental coach who became certain heroes to the whole community.

For the past ten years, Siler City, North Carolina, has been at the front lines of immigration in the interior portion of the United States. Like a number o...more
Paperback
Published October 16th 2007 by It Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Home on the Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Home on the Field

Jeremy
This book snuck up on me. On the surface it's the story of a small southern town and their Mexican-American high school students coming together on the field.
But it's really the study of how immigration affects America, especially Mexican-Americans and their assimilation. Do you know the difference between a Hispanic and a Latino/Latina? Did you know the contribution rates of 2nd generation Mexican-Americans? I didn't, but this book showed me shades of grades and entirely new facets in an argume...more
Mr. Holt
While the story within the novel "A Home on the Field" is a critical and timely one that all global citizens need to be aware of, the writing is very flat and forced. If the author wrote it more like a story and less like a newspaper article it would have flowed more freely and been easier to get into. The book tells the story of a small town in North Carolina grappling with an influx of Hispanic community members. The story paints the picture of turbulence and great difficulty the outsiders wer...more
Anna
A Home On The Field: How One Championship Soccer Team Inspires Hope for the Revival of Small Town America by Paul Cuadros is an engaging nonfiction book about the journey a high school team makes to win the soccer State Championships. The high school is called Jordan-Matthews High School, or JM for short. It’s located in Siler City, North Carolina, only about forty minutes from Chapel Hill. Siler City, a poultry processing town, is a magnet for Latina immigrants who want to escape the violence o...more
Molly
Dec 03, 2008 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with questions about immigration
Recommended to Molly by: Bekah and the public library
Shelves: curriculum
Everyone in North Carolina should read this book. It's a true story about a soccer team that won a state championship. It takes place right down the road in Siler City, and it answered several of my questions about immigration. One of my former teachers is in it.
David Orphal
A feel-good real-life story about he first three years if Jordan-Mathews High School Soccer team. From anti-immigrant rallies to state champions, this book has the same feel as Remember the Titans with a wonderful // about a small town learning to get along with their new neighbors.

With all of the uproar over the current waves of child-immigrants coming into The USA from Central America, folks might be well served to have a reminder that so called illegal immigrants are also human beings.

Perhap...more
Marten
This book, the required summer reading book for Cardigan Mountain School grades 7-9 for 2013, was a interesting read. The first 7 chapters are a bit bland, but they do outline and introduce the writer, the town, the challenges and the reason Cuadros got involved. After these chapters, however, the book begins to pick up the pace and locked me in as a reader.

I was amazed, despite what I expected for roadblocks thrown up, at how the community dragged it's feet, enlisted the help of national organ...more
Trey Parker
This books plot is about a small town, Siler City North Carolina. As Paul is prompted with many chicken processing work offers he declines. More and more Latino families are moving into this city with there children. He came to find about the slow immigration to this country. When he got hear he pleaded to the principle to let the latino kids go to school here, he did not like the idea but he agreed. Then paul asked if they could make a soccer team for them but he thinking it was to much to ask,...more
Seth Gray
This summer, I read the book, A Home on the Field, by Paul Cuadros. This book became increasingly more interesting. Initially, I expected this book to be long and boring, but it turned out to be a fascinating and fun book to read. The book is a true story about a Latino man named Paul Cuadros. Life, as a journalist, was good for Paul, but he felt something was missing. He remembered how great it was when he played on a soccer team when he was young and Paul wanted others to feel the same way he...more
Irene
This is a great story of Latino teens overcoming racism and poverty in rural North Carolina. In the book, Paul Cuadros describes his first three years coaching the fledgling soccer program at Jordan Matthews High School in Siler City, a small town facing a huge influx of Hispanic immigrants. It wasn't a very difficult or profound novel, but it was a fun read. I actually learned a lot about the Latino way of life--family comes before everything, including school; Latinos are often targets of mugg...more
Diane
It is always fun and a bit amazing to read a book set in an area with which I am very familiar. I recognized most of the towns and venues in this book and am familiar with the political issues involving hispanics that Cuadros addresses in Siler City and in rural North Carolina. I am also very sympathetic to the situation of hispanics in rural North Carolina. I think it is a story that needs to be told and I appreciated the history and discussion. However, the book was overall a disappointment.

I...more
Albert
BOOK REPORT
this is a really inspirering book because it could make you laugh and if you are sensitive maybe even cry. Paul was the write and character in the book. Paul came to silver city and created a soccer team called " los jets " In the second day of practice 16 players came and some were not eligible to join because they had dropped out of school. others had found it to hot to practice so they stayed home insted.
work was everything for them if they had a job then they were not conside...more
Susan
I'm so glad I picked this book up (at Letters the wonderful new-ish used bookstore downtown-check it out!). Along with enjoying a great read, I have gained a much fuller understanding of what life in NC is like for many of our Latino neighbors. I would urge you to also read and learn. Great book!!!!
Meagan
This book snuck up on me. I wasn't expecting this story to grab my heart the way that it did, but by the end I was completely in love with these boys. Cuadros does an amazing job of absolutely engaging you in the story of this high school football team. The team, "Los Jets" is made up of mostly Latino immigrants, and most are in the country illegally. Paul Cuadros starts a team to keep the boys in school, and it chronicles the first three years of their adventure. It was amazing to watch the evo...more
Tomherndon
I read some other reviews on this listing. I agree with many of them. I regret not spending more time IN Siler City/Jordan Matthews when I worked there.

While the book/author focuses on the Latino immigration, similar issues exist for both empowered and refugee immigrants from Asia; the students of the educated Indian families and the various ethnic groups escaping Burma and the Vietnam region. While on opposite ends of the economic spectrum, some similar issues arise for a feeling of belonging...more
Seth Farber
I love the fact that this story has been told, though I didn't find myself all that engaged by how Cuadros went about telling it. He is a capable writer, and the stretches of straightforward narrative are at times incredibly poignant. However, his attempts at social commentary tend to miss the mark, seeming more likely to distract from his students' story than to help readers understand it more fully. Still, in his best moments, Cuadros is simply introducing us to a group of kids whose exploits...more
Tom
I got this book from a friend and had never heard of it when I started. I gave it 4 instead of 3 stars because I read it so fast, which means I must have liked it, right? I liked the soccer story part, because I coach and see a lot of similarities between his team and my own - except for the whole winning part. I like the immigration parts because it helps me to understand my students some. The only thing about which I was not a huge fan was the complete bias of the author. I even agree with his...more
Sticherus
Not a bad book-- but I didn't like the writing style, and I really had to force myself to pay attention. I'm also not a fan of soccer. Or any sports at all, honestly. I only read this book because my U.S. History teacher assigned it.

Looking beyond that, though, I did like the parts that focused on the effects of immigration and the social issues/changes that Siler City experienced. I'm from a small town in North Carolina myself (about an hour's drive away from Siler City), and it felt pretty co...more
Dave
An inspiring story of a young Latino journalist (the author) who moves to Siler City, NC, site of infamous anti-immigrant fervor around the turn of the millennium. Cuadros starts a soccer team at the local high school in order to get Latino boys involved in their community (for the benefit of both).

The book represents rather ordinary writing, but the subject matter is important and Siler City is near my home, so I still enjoyed it. The long sequences of soccer play-by-play were probably unnecess...more
Alex
As I read A Home on the Field, I discovered that many of the characters in the story I was able to relate to the way they lived life or grew up in the U.S. For example,both David and Enrique were two undocumented students who were very talented soccer players and also had a dream of going to college.They never lost focus of their goals in life and went on to become really successful in life. Reading A Home in the Field made me want to push myself to higher expectations and higher goals in overal...more
Leslie Ann
I read this book immediately after I read Enrique's Journey. If you are interested in the Latino immigrant experience, I recommend both books in that order, but each is fine on its own as well. Living in NC, this book revealed details about my community that I knew existed but had not been revealed to me. The use of the soccer team in small-town Siler City as a vehicle to expose the struggles of Latino immigrants was ideal in that it was easier to engage the reader, but no less accurate.
Athornton
A good read. Uplifting. You kind of knew how it would end but the pictures in the middle of the book definitely gave away the ending which kind of stunk! An interesting outlook on one town's adopting to the new backgrounds of people who were moving in- a way to look ahead to what is going to happen all over the United States in the not too distant future!
CT
I had to read this for a graduate class and it was very interesting. I came to respect Cuadros and his actions throughout the book. I feel he could have bragged and wrote in an arrogant way but I heard none of that in his words. It gave me a great perspective of my students and the life of HIspanics as they come to the US in search of a better life.
Rahman
A great book. The book was an eye opener. We often see in modern world how communities deny others' right just because they are different. In particular, I like the book as I truly believe soccer (football) is a culture that does not recognize differences in any shape or form. Once on the field, that is a fare game for all.
Amazingly enough I learned some soccer tactics! I also learned what it means to work with a group of kids who are tackling problems much too large and serious for their young ages. It is amazing how far motivation and determination and pride in yourself can take you.
Patti.h.trainorgmail.com
Great good at describing the Latino migration in rural NC agricultural industries. The author explains to the audience issues facing undocumented migrants, how our economy has value added by their efforts as well as the injustices they face due to their legal status.
Sarahg
As a Raleigh resident this was a real eye-opener for me. Most Hispanics here work blue collar jobs and generally fly under the radar. Legal or not, their stories of how they came to NC and their struggles once here really raised my awareness of the Hispanic community.
Joan
A lovely account of a tale succeeding, and yet failing for some, in the South of a soccer team made up of mostly Latinos and immigrants. There are nice tales to be told here, encompassing more than the battles on field, but of livelihood, expectations and education.
Mandy
Immigration is changing the make up of the US. Do we just accept it or fight it? Well I am for accepting it and I enjoyed the inspiration in this book. It reminds me so much of the kids that I meet in Schuyler each year. This was a special book to me.
Corey
been meaning to read this book written by my reporting professor for so long and so glad I did. this book does a great job dealing with immigration issues through the story of a small town soccer team. important read with the current political debate.
Shannon
It will make you question the way we look at immigration. It will also help you to see that if you had a choice between a poor life and a better one, you'd do anything to get there for your family. People are people and we need to learn to be more accepting.
Cardigan Mountain...: Consider Moderating? 1 3 May 10, 2013 11:06AM
A Home on the Field: The Great Latino Migration Comes to Smal Un juego sin fronteras: Como un equipo de futbol crea una nueva esperanza en los Estados Unidos