A Dime a Dozen

A Dime a Dozen

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Celebrated author Nikki Grimes turns her soulful, searching gaze to themes of destiny and determination sure to strike a chord in anyone going through the difficult, joyous struggle of growing up. Reflecting on her own childhood experiences, she offers twenty-eight poems exploring the pleasures and pains of charting your own path
Published October 1st 1998 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about A Dime a Dozen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dime a Dozen

Tara
A Dime a Dozen by Nikki Grimes is a collection of poems that describe her life growing up and her dream of being a poet even though her parents did not approve of such a thing. Something intersting about this collection of poems is that they were all seperate poems but they told a story like it was a novel. I think the main theme of this story is to show kids that no matter what you want to do if you are determined enough one day you can be and do anything you want too. I think this is a good co...more
Jaylaun G.S.
I enjoyed these poems.
Linda
This is a great collection of poems about growing up and all the good and bad of that. This seems autobiographical because in it, Nikki Grimes writes about writing and also about those who are a little skeptical about her writing. In the title poem, one reads the line “Find another dream instead.” But also, later, “Someday she’ll be proud to say…my daughter the writer!” The drawings are realistically and beautifully done in pencil.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
These autobiographical poems reveal a young girl's desire to be a writer, and her perseverance despite the objections of her family. Her relationship with her father was especially interesting. My favorite poem was "The Last Word"-- I could visualize it so clearly and hear the chop! of the knife. I also liked "Something New," with its surprise at the end. Wish I could write poems like that. Recommended!
Beth
I loved that the poems in this book all told a story - yet it wasn't a novel in verse. Each poem was beautifully written yet simple enough to be accessible to children.
Jazmin
Jazmin added it
Mar 28, 2014
Kahron Connor
Kahron Connor is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2013
Zaida Diaz orellana
Zaida Diaz orellana marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Trenee
Trenee marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2012
Genie
Genie marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2011
Kisha Cameron
Kisha Cameron marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2011
Shantay
Shantay marked it as to-read
May 12, 2010
Bronx Masquerade Words with Wings The Road to Paris Planet Middle School Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope