Start by marking “Thick As Thieves: A Brother, a Sister--a True Story of Two Turbulent Lives” as Want to Read:
Thick As Thieves: A Brother, a Sister--a True Story of Two Turbulent Lives
Preview

Thick As Thieves: A Brother, a Sister--a True Story of Two Turbulent Lives

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Geng's memoir . . . does much to restore integrity to the genre of the addict memoir as presented in classics by William S. Burroughs, Hunter S. Thompson, and Jerry Stahl."--The New York Times Book Review

Steve Geng--thief, addict, committed member of Manhattan's criminal semi-elite--was a rhapsody in blue, all on his own. Women had a tendency to crack his head open. His s
Published April 29th 2008 by Holt Paperbacks (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Thick As Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thick As Thieves

Stephanie
Now that I've gone through all the stages of grief that someone else wrote the first book about Veronica Geng, I suppose it's time to read this one.
Michael
Not enough about Veronica, but not because of her genius. Rather because she inspires Steven's best writing. He approaches her famously difficult personality without the awe other writers have. He lets her be a bitch, but makes it clear that she was a bitch who was loved deeply.

The end of the book, focusing on her death and his mourning is a very fine reward for spending time with this book.
Fran
I kept finding myself putting this down but eventually picking it back up. The addiction/recovery theme wears thin for me but ultimately I enjoyed his take on his relationship with his sister and his father and the glimpse into the life of a genius writer.
Rachel Jones
I enjoyed reading about his downward spiral more than his recovery...although I'm glad he recovered of course. Isn't that always the way with stories about recovery from addictions? People being bad are always more colorful than people being good.
Joel
A Real Story/Book: A very good book about expectations and realities of life. Things are not always as they appear to be and there is a lot that most people are unaware of under the surface.
Di
love love love this book and ran into a friend in it! now Steve and I are Facebook friends
Jim Breslin
I really enjoyed Steve Geng's memoir about his life as a hipster. As his sister climbed the rungs of the publishing world, eventually becoming the fiction editor at the New Yorker and writing her own short story collections, Steve stole records to support his heroin habit and was actually nearly killed twice by ex-girlfriends. These are incredible accounts and it's amazing he survived. He found redemption in caring for his ailing father and became an actor appearing in Miami Vice. It's an intere ...more
Paul Morris
I hated this book. It's an addict's memoir of drugs and booze in Manhattan but sold as a portrait of a brother and sister. The author's sister, Veronica Geng, was a great humorist at New Yorker magazine. Due to his addiction issues, the author presents little about her life and has few insights into her work and career. Instead the writing--quite competent, by the way--is focused almost entirely on his own life. Like most addicts, he can only think about himself, shouting me! me! me! I'm done re ...more
Gail
I thought I'd find out more about Veronica Geng, but her thief/addict actor-wannabe brother Steve had his head up his own ass for 30 plus years and didn't get to know her. Not all his fault as Geng, herself, aplied many layers of varnish to shield herself during a tough childhood. Maybe one of her New Yorker "friends" will write a bio one day. In the meantime, read her brilliant "Love Trouble," a compilation of some of her best humour.
Keith Ferstl
Steve Geng's beautifully written memoir will make you laugh and cry. He keeps the pace racing along as he explores the ups and downs of his relationship with his sister, New Yorker humorist Veronica Geng, and unflinchingly describes his life as a drug addict, thief and actor.
Dorri Olds
Fantastic stories, funny and heartbreaking. Read it in 1 or 2 sittings. Then read the whole book 2 more times. Loved it (obviously!).
Galadriel
Galadriel marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Gina Whitlock
Gina Whitlock marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Anita Dalton
Anita Dalton marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012