Vain (The Seven Deadly, #1)

Vain (The Seven Deadly #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  21,421 ratings  ·  2,800 reviews
If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read e...more
ebook, 1st edition, 329 pages
Published December 24th 2012 by Fisher Amelie

To ask other readers questions about Vain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vain

Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireWait for You by J. LynnThe Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica SorensenNever Too Far by Abbi GlinesLosing It by Cora Carmack
NEW ADULT 2013
32nd out of 1,274 books — 3,568 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Edge of Never by J.A. RedmerskiEasy by Tammara WebberSlammed by Colleen HooverOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
New Adult Contemporary
40th out of 621 books — 1,541 voters

More lists with this book...

Aestas Book Blog

STRUCK. SPEECHLESS.

This book took me on a beautiful journey. It moved me, took my breath away and kept me up all night. It was a well-written, powerful, and deeply moving YA story that absolutely broke the mold and was unlike anything I’d ever read. It blew me away! READ IT!

This is not your typical romance novel where girl meets boy and they just fall in love. Yes, this book has a beautiful love story, but its also about so. much. more.

Its about learning the true value of life, about the pri...more
Jenny Levine

You're so vain...
I bet you think this book is about you, don't you? Don't you?

NUH-UH! WRONG!
This isn't about you...

This is about her royalty,
SOPHIE PRICE.
[image error]

Who the hell is Sophie Price?!
Okay, let me tell you.

She is...
*SUPER RICH. GORGEOUS. FLAWLESS!
--> Every guy wants her. Every girl wants to be her.

Aside from that, she is also:
*QUEEN BEE.
*MANIPULATIVE LITTLE BITCH.
*SPOILED, REPULSIVE BRAT
*VICIOUS.
*VAIN VAIN VAIN!!!

What Sophie wants, Sophie gets.
She has people ten...more
Dd

Hello everyone!!

Who am I??

Let me tell you a bit about myself...

I am cruel and unrelenting.I manipulate,use,disrespect and take advantage of every person I call friend.

If you have a boyfriend...I am your worst nightmare!

Everything I own is skin tight because I have a body for it,and because it always gets me what I want.I love the way boys stare.I love the way they want me.It feels powerful.

I rule my elite world.But not because I am the wealthiest.

No,I rule because I am the hottest.

My light gold
Emily May

At this exact point as I'm writing this review, Vain has over 5000 ratings on goodreads and an average rating of 4.46.

4.46

Which is one of the highest average ratings I've ever seen on goodreads, particularly for a book that has so many readers. I'm telling you this because I want you to appreciate what a tiny minority I am in when I say that I was really disappointed with Vain. I'm going to tell you why in a second, but I think it's very important for you to know that many many people love thi...more
Kristin (KC)
5 Brilliant Stars!

I'm a sucker for a story with substance; one that's not afraid to show the raw, grittiness of a situation and invites you to dive deeply into its meaning. A story that can generously entertain while conveying a positive message...and I found all this and more in a book I least expected to...Vain.

Meet Sophie Price — she's beautiful, rich, self-centered, and (you guessed it) unbelievably vain. Her parents are wealthy, powerful, and completely neglectful and cold. Her father's mai...more
Richa
Like me?
Love me?
Want me?
Hate me?

Well, then darling, get in line...
There's a crowd waiting for me outside
See their faces??
They're dripping with hunger
For me
Me
And only me...

Love the way they want me
Love the way they chant my name
Love the way they can't get enough of me
Haven't you guessed it, darling??
I'm......

Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)

I have no idea how this book was so highly rated by so many people. Yes the main character starts as a spoilt, selfish bitch with obvious self-hatred and a serious need to be brought down a few pegs. Yes she goes to Africa and learns valuable life lessons while becoming a 'better person'.

HOWEVER, I feel like the author read the wikipedia page about Joseph Kony when everyone was freaking out about him last year and that's as far as she went. Even though she describes several scenes centered on t...more
Jennifer Kyle
5 Brilliant Stars...A Must Read!!

Vain is a well written young adult romance that not only guides a reader through Sophie Price’s journey of self-discovery but also brings the horror of real issues to light that should warrant our attention and action.

This story displays character development at its finest! Fisher Amelie’s writing brings you along the journey and has you feeling and connecting, laughing and crying right along with the characters.

Sophie Price...Vain, beautiful, spoiled, unhappy,...more
Lise *friends don't flag*
Masego means Blessings

description

Very Clever Ms. Fisher Amelie what a way to weave a young adult romance into something real, raw and so awful that many people have never heard of or care to. I hope more authors of young adult/new adult romance will take this model and write more stories with substance.
Ms. Fisher, in my opinion was able to combine the best ingredients of a typical love story and tie in some heavy life issues as well as true worldwide events into something that made me feel and fall deepl...more
Natasha ツ
This book was a beautiful and awe-inspiring romance - such a breath of fresh air...

Sophie is the epitome of vain - stinking rich & strikingly beautiful, but she flaunts her beauty and uses it to humiliate, manipulate & seduce everybody to do her bidding. She is the queen bee of her evil hive & sleeps with her friends' boyfriends and expects them to thank her for it.
“God, you are such a whiny brat. If he was willing to cheat on you so easily, he wasn't worth it. Consider it a favor
Natasha is a Book Junkie

There’s a proverb that says, “Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.” This is the truly beautiful story of a young woman’s journey from egocentricity to self-awareness, from having regard only for herself to being willing to sacrifice her own happiness for...more
Jess - A is for Alpha B is for Books
WOW!

This was NOT what I was expecting at all.

By 25% in I was unsure what was happening, I don't think I have ever read a character like Sophie...

Then BAM!! I was taken on an amazing journey.

Sophie Price is Vain. In every sense of the word.
Vanity's a debilitating affliction. You're so absorbed in yourself it's impossible to love anyone other than oneself, leaving you weak without realisation of it. It's quite sad. You've no idea what you're missing either. You will never know real love and yo...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
I'm not sure what happened. I read Vain 2 or 3 weeks ago (don't even remember now) and UHHHHH...didn't review the thing?

I'm sure that I have quotes marked in my copy, but the distance of time has me super lazy to care enough to go pull them up.

Condensed Review Version :

The cons -

Simplistic writing
Some minimal editing issues
Cringe-worthy start (almost DNF'ed) for the first few chapters (but I get the point the author was trying to make, so it's forgivable)
A character who unbelievably changed ove...more
Duchess Nicole
Fisher Amelie just posted that if VAIN gets 200 Amazon reviews by tonight (1-13-13), she will post a scene from Ian's POV. If you reviewed, this, please copy and paste your review on Amazon!!!!

My review:...4.5 Stars!!!!!

"There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy."

And she fully admits it. Sophie Price is VAIN. Her identity comes from the clothes she wears, the money her parents...more
Amy (Foxy)
This is the story of Sophie (who is the epitome of spoiled) and Ian (who is selfless). They are brought together to serve others and learn what it means to live the most extraordinary life that wasn't planned for them.

"Why are you so happy?" "I am happy every day, Miss. I am alive and working. I have a roof. I can feed my brothers and sisters. I am very, very happy."

Sophie learns
[image error]

Sophie is asked to make a promise:
"Promise me you'll give it all to God and let Him decide it for you.
Pam
4 stars

Can I just say DAMN totally unexpected….

As I read the first chapter, all I could think of was great, Sophie Price Queen bee of the rich and snobby, trust fund baby, who could care less what anyone think, actions be damned, she was the ultimate puppeteer. I was actually debating at one point if I should continue if all she is going to talk about is how much everyone loves her, follows her, wants her, is intimidated by her …

Sophie Price is V . A . I . N

but … the story takes off and took m...more
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
SmileySorry, I hate to go against the general consensus but I found this book very average.

When I read the blup for this book I was really excited. I couldn’t wait for this super hot Alpha bitch to shake up my world. Unfortunately she was crying by page 6 and I realised I had been conned!

Sophie Price

photo vain_zps5df53b17.jpg
Now I realise that characters are supposed to have depth and dimension but come on! At least stick to your original synopsis for 1 chapter!

What this book is really about is Sophie, a beautiful, spoil...more
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
This is by far one of the my favorite reads of 2013.

Sophie Price is... vain (hence the title). She has no care in the world, except for what she wants, and does anything and everything to get there. She has used every single person she has surrounded herself with and only has one true friend. She spends her days being the dutiful daughter and her weekends partying and doing drugs.
When she gets caught doing drugs a second time, she's sentenced to six months in Africa to volunteer at an orphanag...more
La-Lionne
***1.5 decieving stars***

description

LIE! LIE! LIE! This is exactly what this story is about and how heroine is. She's angry, bitter, whoring around coldhearted bitch, who does...more
R.E. Hunter
4.5 Stars!!!

Let's just start right off the bat with that blurb! I don't know if I've ever read a synopsis that made me so desperate to read a book! I was hooked immediately and couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. But WOW, Vainwas nothing like what I expected. I'm not sure even how to go about reviewing this book.

"Vanity's a debilitating affliction. You're so absorbed in yourself it's impossible to love anyone other than oneself, leaving you weak without realization of it. it's quite sa...more
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
When you see the book's title, the cover and read the blurb briefly.. What do you think??

That Sophie Price is a bitch? Spoilt brat? Thinks the world is in her palm or that she can buy it with her credit card? Shallow, vindictive?...
WELL... Yes.. thats exactly how this book starts off... Sophie Price is a bitch..

Then you think that oh, she's a bitch but a hottie will walk in, sway her off her feet, they will fall in love and a bit of drama here and there then a HEA?
Well, you've got that bit wrong...more
*.Amaia.* Team Derry :)
4 Learn-To-Love-Yourself STARS!!

Meet Sophie Price:

"I was "the green fairy". I flitted into your life, showed you ecstasy, and left you dependent. I did this for fun, for the hell of it, for attention. I wanted to be wanted, and my word, did they want me."

description

"Like I said, I was practically flawless."

My first thought:

description

But you know... things are not always what they seem. And Sophie... she is broken. Is she really vain? I don't think so... she actually hates herself, her lack of self-steem is pre...more
Paula

AMAZING. I LOVED this book. Everything about VAIN captivated me. Consumed me.

This is a perfect of example where an author cleverly takes the heroine Sophie, and shows us the spoiled, bratty girl she currently is, and then puts her in a situation where she figures out that money and status means nothing. And then amazingly builds the character back up and makes her stronger and better than the person she was before. And that, my friends, is truly a wonder to watch happen. I, not only fell in lov...more
KatLynne
“Vanity’s a debilitating affliction. You’re so absorbed in yourself it’s impossible to love anyone other than oneself, leaving you weak without the realization of it...”

As I began reading Vain I had little knowledge of the plot other than the synopsis. I knew it was New Adult and the heroine is spoiled, promiscuous, and snobbish as well as one who parties hard.
… “Freedom is just that. Absolutely no reservations. I abandoned myself to every whim I felt. Every want I fulfilled and every desire
Jacqueline's Reads
Updated thoughts...

After reading Greed my perception of Vain has changed. It's a 5 star book. It truely is. It's gritty, raw and emotional.

5 Stars

”…you may lose hope in the sorrow of an unplanned life but as long as you have faith and trust in adoration, in affection, in love, that sorrow will turn to happiness. And that is a constant, dear…”

I agree with the reviews, VAIN is not your typical young adult romance novel, sure there’s a girl who meets boy, BUT VAIN IS.SO.MUCH.MORE.

Don’t read the...more
AJ
Wow! What an amazing story, and something so very different from your standard YA romance. I absolutely ADORED it!

When we first meet Sophie she is a rich, bitchy, spoiled brat with no obvious redeeming qualities - “I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy." But we very quickly see that this is all a front. The real Sophie, although highly intelligent, is broken and lost, ignored by her parents and very much alon...more
Mo
This was different - very different - no sex, shock, horror for what I have been reading lately. OK, we might have to suspend our disbelief here a little at a young US citizen being sent to UGANDA to help in an orphanage but it was a fairly poignant story. Can relate to it a little myself as the Irish government had over 4 million returned the them only recently for misappropriations of funds by the Ugandan government from Charities - some foreign governments must be totally trying to mislead fo...more
Christy
Wow! I didn’t have any expectations for this book, I have never read anything by this author... but it blew me away! It was just an amazing story! It had me hooked from the every beginning. You fell in love with the characters, and the writing was just beautiful!

Vanity’s a debilitating affliction. You’re so absorbed in yourself it’s impossible to love anyone other than oneself, leaving you weak without realization of it. It’s quite sad. You’ve no idea with you’re missing either. You will never...more
A. Bookzilla.
NEW COVER! Absolutely gorgeous and much more fitting. I love authors that pay attention to what their readers think.

I feel like I should write this out now, before I fully collect my thoughts because I'm afraid I'll forget something. I finished this in...oh - six hours? Ish. After waiting for three days for it to be released. Ish. (I almost sent hate mail to Amazon.)

I've eagerly awaited this book ever since it was announced. I had no idea what it's about, but you must understand something. I'm a...more
Isabella Guldberg
Isabella Guldberg marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
What did you think? 33 423 Jun 11, 2014 04:49PM
Crazy for Young A...: Vain (Seven Deadly #1) by Fisher Amelie → Start Date: October 23, 2013 99 55 Nov 05, 2013 04:07AM
How to get this book without a Kindle? 4 78 May 04, 2013 03:46PM
Buddy Read Zone: Vain 4/21/13 332 129 Apr 24, 2013 07:48AM
  • Going Under
  • Present Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • There is No Light in Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Measuring Up
  • Thief (Love Me with Lies, #3)
  • Making Faces
  • The Final Piece
  • The Sea of Tranquility
  • Arsen: A Broken Love Story
  • Sweet Thing (Sweet Thing, #1)
  • Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1)
  • In the Stillness
  • Just Remember to Breathe (Thompson Sisters, #2)
  • True Love Story
  • Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1)
  • Back to You
  • I Love You to Death (I Love You, #1)
  • Beautiful Broken Rules (Broken, #1)
Fisher Amelie resides in the South with her kick ace husband slash soul mate. She earned her first 'mama' patch in 2009. She also lives with her Weim, 'Jonah', and her Beta, 'Whale'. All these living creatures keep the belly of her life full, sometimes to the point of gluttony, but she doesn't mind all that much because life isn't worth living if it isn't entertaining, right?

Fisher grew up writing...more
More about Fisher Amelie...
Callum & Harper (Sleepless, #1) Greed (The Seven Deadly, #2) Thomas & January (Sleepless, #2) The Understorey (The Leaving #1) Fury (The Seven Deadly, #3)

“No one can know sincere happiness, Sophie, without first having known sorrow. One can never appreciate the enormity and rareness of such a fiery bliss without seeing misery, however unfair that may be.” 288 likes
“The shortest distance between two points is the line from me to you.” 222 likes