Start by marking “Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend” as Want to Read:
Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend

Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Published 2012 by University of Queensland Press

To ask other readers questions about Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend

The Wrong Boy by Suzy ZailThe Ink Bridge by Neil GrantHerman and Rosie by Gus GordonSea Hearts by Margo LanaganThe Children of the King by Sonya Hartnett
CBCA 2013 Short List
18th out of 29 books — 12 voters
The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan StroudBomb by Steve SheinkinWonderstruck by Brian SelznickA Dog Called Homeless by Sarah LeanCasino Royale/Live and Let Die/Moonraker by Ian Fleming
Red Dot 2014: Older Readers: LONG LIST
12th out of 55 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Gaby
This was a great book. One that I think will appeal to any child as it is from the point of view of multiple students (and a groundskeeper). In a world of Dear Dumb Diary Let's Pretend This Never Happened and other tween novels that often show the unkind nature of young children and teachers Herrick's book is delightful. If you are reading/promoting novels on bullying to older primary students, then this is a great book to follow up. It is positive, but shows the kids having fun. They joke along ...more
Mary
Alison
I was delighted with this book - a great story in verse for both boys and girls. Funny, charming, clever and heartwarming. Year 5+
Pookie Aleera is Not My Boyfriend is a charming and delightful little book about a group of school-kids living in a small rural Australian town. It's written as a verse novel – each chapter is a short non-rhyming poem – but this isn't the boring, difficult poetry you have to study at school: it's honest, quirky, funny and sometimes heartfelt. The poems are written from many characters' points of view - the cool kid, the funny kid, the bullied kid, the teacher, the janitor and even the police off ...more
Sue
This gentle verse novel from Steven Herrick is fantastic. I loved all the characters, especially Cameron and Mick, and most especially Laura and Mr Korsky. I laughed, I cried and I felt the life in all the students of 6A and those who surround them. Mick is a bit of a rough diamond - a rogue with a heart of gold. Mr Korsky could be the groundskeeper in so many schools - a guy who is proud of the job he does - making the school grounds look nice, but also a bloke who sees the best in all the kids ...more
Adele Broadbent
I enjoyed the way this was written - in a poetry format. What I really liked was stepping into the head of all the different classmates and even the caretaker and seeing their different view on things. It always intrigues me how we have a perception of ourselves, often completely different from other's perceptions of us.
Hijacked Fangirl
Picked this book up a few years ago and finishing rereading it a couple of days ago. This book was amazing! One of the books that lead to the road to reading Young Adult novels! This short verse poem is an easy read and switches between character to another character's P.O.V. without making it confusing!
Eilish
It took me a while to get into but I really loved this book and was hooked until the end I really loved reading it and recommend it
Taya
May 23, 2014 Taya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: taya
I love it
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Who would think that I'd fall in love with a verse novel? Certainly not me. But I did. It's amazing. I'll certainly be reading more from Steven Herrick.

Katie
I honestly did not expect to enjoy a verse novel that much, but Pookie Aleera is not my Boyfriend surprised and enchanted me. Before I knew it, I had been captivated by all of these voices and the town in which they live. The story itself may be quickly read but the emotions it invokes will last for much longer.
Ivan
This is a very cute book about all the different stories from each student at a school across what I think is the course of a few weeks. The writing is interesting, the little snippets are almost poem like in the way they are laid out, and it is a sweet and amusing story. I picked this up because it was featured at our local library as a finalist in the awards this year, and because it had such a catchy title. My 9 year old son also enjoyed it.
Holly Stanton-gillan
This is a very beautiful verse novel that uses simple language features to address the complexities of being in Year Six. It touches on elements of kindness, friendship, families, grief, joy and growing up! A worthwhile read for a teacher, a relevant read for a child and an enjoyable read for everybody. You will not put it down! Read it in about 3 hours. Beautifully naïve and simplistic but perfectly relevant and true.
Meg Denman
A most enjoyable read. I admired Ms Arthur who says: "It's not pop stars or actors or supermodels or celebrities or millionaires or sports stars who are lucky and special ... It's someone who has a partner a friend a parent who loves them." As a teacher and parent that resonates very clearly with me. I am looking forward to reading other verse novels by Steven Herrick, 'Untangling Spaghetti' and 'Rhyming Boy.'
Tanja
A story about school, community, family and friendship that will make your heart melt, just like the chocolate of Laura's crisp and sweet chocolate cackles (recipe at the end of the book). Written in verse and told from the perspective of the various children and adults in the story, I could imagine this to be a really nice read-aloud to share and discuss as a class at the beginning of a school year.
Sophie
Very cute and adorable
Leanne
Steven Herrick and verse novels - what is there not to like? Like Ms Arthur, the new teacher of 6A, I wanted to hang around a little longer with these kids. As always Herrick has captured these young voices in his succinct verses. I just wish I had a class to share this with as it calls to be read out loud!
Sue Krust
This book took me by surprise. Initially I was confused by the array of different characters, but then I found myself laughing out loud. I read the first Constable Dawes chapter to Y5 & Y6, and our 4 copies of the book have been in high demand ever since.
Michelle
Yup - liked this one. Cute style. Loved the descriptions of the Police Constable talking to the class. Nice message - how such a small thing (being a bit nicer) can make a huge difference to peoples lives.
Tina Jameson
Oct 24, 2013 Tina Jameson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8+ readers
Lovely lyrical read. Read myself then handed straight to my 9 year old daughter. She loved the characters and their honest voices. Went straight to her school library and sought out more Steven Herrick verse novels.
Momo
Short listed for the Younger Readers category of the CBCA awards I hope this book will win. It is funny and wise and real and all done in a brilliant verse novel.
Nella
Funny, warm, wise - so great to read about real children - not super heroes, victims, survivors etc. And a principal who praises as well as scolds!
May 27, 2013 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
This was a delightful book that made me laugh out loud as well as shed a tear. I didn't realise that reading a novel in verse could be so enjoyable.
Heather Downie
Read it in one sitting. Charming and touching and worth a read, even if it is aimed at children. Got a tad teary towards the end.
Kate Sheales
Love this Australian story. An excellent way to talk about paying it forward.
Jess
The only thing I didn't like about this book is that it finished...
Deb
Always a pleasure to read Steven Herrick.
Julie
brilliant for yr3-7
Gina
Brilliant- loved it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Shiny Guys
  • Pennies for Hitler
  • Ice Breaker (The Hidden, #1)
  • The Ink Bridge
  • Two Wolves
  • The Wrong Boy
  • Creepy and Maud
  • Soldier Bear
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • The First Third
  • Song of the Slums
  • A Bus Called Heaven
  • The Red Shoe
The Simple Gift Slice Kissing Annabel: Love, Ghosts, and Facial Hair; A Place Like This Cold Skin Black Painted Fingernails