Start by marking “The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box Timepiece The Letter” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box Timepiece The Letter

The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box Timepiece The Letter

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,461 ratings  ·  149 reviews
THE CHRISTMAS BOX

A Christmas story unlike any other, The Christmas Box is the poignant tale of a widow and the young family who moves in with her. Together, they discover the first gift of Christmas --- and what the holiday is really all about.

TIMEPIECE

Tracing the lives of a young couple as they discover love, loyalty, and the power of forgiveness, Timepiece is a tale of
Published October 1st 1998 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Box Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Box Collection

Oria
This is the kind of book that should be read at home by the fireplace, curled up on a sofa with a mug of mulled wine nearby. It is such a nice beautiful collection of stories, that I found myself overwhelmed at times by the lovely sad love stories between the pages.
There is grief and also joy, but above all there is love, the kind that endures even though it may seem that sometimes is ready to flicker and die, caught between doubt and temptation. There is also hate and despair and violence, and
Meera
10 stars!!!!

Glad to find my tear glands still working...:-D:-D
Tracy Walters
This was a beautiful book.....3 amazing stories that all intertwined and left you smiling with a broken heart. The Christmas Box has always been one of my favorite stories and it was wonderful to have the other two stories to add to the splendor of this story. MaryAnne and David Parkin are a beautiful couple that share an amazing love story and it really touches you deep inside when you get to know them alone and as a couple. This was a great read for me and I highly recommend it!
A collection of three stories that tell of the love story between David and MaryAnne Parkin. Set in the early 20th century, the Parkins, through their experiences, teach us lessons of life, love and dealing with grief. The stories are interwoven beautifully and leave one weeping at their joys and griefs. I highly recommend this book as I learned many things about myself and my relationship with my loved ones.
Felicia
This is three books in one. I think I would like three separate books better. The first book "The Christmas Box" is good. The second one "The Timepiece p" was my favorite of the three but the hardest to read emotionally. The third "The Letter" was my least favorite but still good. The hardest part was the fact someone dies at the end of each one. They are all thought provoking and emotionally charged.
Lisa
This was a cute bunch of stories - good for drawing up some warm feelings about the past at Christmas time. I like how each stories characters are related to the characters in the other ones. I didn't expect it - I had not heard that it was a trilogy. I thought that it was just a bunch of random Christmas stories. It is so much more. Many tears were shed.
Julaine Evans
This book is pretty depressing. It has a good message that we can change our lives no matter how terrible our choices may be. I don't want to cry for Christmas or the rest of the year so I would not suggest this story.
Sara
Our family is currently reading "The Christmas Box" together and it is wonderful to have them discover it for the first time. I love the two following stories which are sort of a prequel to "The Christmas Box."
Barbara
This book brought together three books I had previously read and made a more complete story than any had been alone. I love the way R.P.Evans writes so this was a wonderful book for the Christmas season.
Aimee
I read this every December
GoldenjoyBazyll
This is a WONDERFUL book! It is a three part series all based on a family that needed a place to live. They answered an ad in the newspaper that brought them to an elderly widow living in a mansion. If they were to move in- which they did- they needed to do some light housekeeping duties but mostly- be companions to the elderly woman. During the course of the story of the Christmas Box (first in the book) the families become very close and experience magic from an old bible box where music and l ...more
Jess Michaelangelo
Really, to be fair, I'd have to give this a 3.5. I liked it, I really did, but I'm not raving about it. As a collection of three novels that exist as a quasi-series, I'm just going to talk a little bit about each of them.

The Christmas Box

I've already reviewed the first novel, The Christmas Box before, and I feel like it sums up my feelings pretty well, so I'm gonna do a little bit of copy & paste here.

"Usually, I'm not the type of person to cry over books. If I read something particularly
Alyn
Read this book in time for Christmas. It is a three-part book which revolves around life of Mary Anne Parkin as relayed by Richard Evan's family who moved to Salt Lake City.

The first story is about a Christmas Box the family found in the old attic. Mary Anne uses the representation to make Richard realize the importance of family, his child Jenna's passing childhood and the first gift of Christmas.

The second book is about an expensive timepiece, a grandfather clock which Mary Anne's husband Davi
Linda Husvar
I found this trilogy very somber and poignant. Mary Anne and David rose from poverty to wealth during desperate Depression Era years. David's fight against racism and ignorance cost their family dearly. I liked the character development during death, grief, separation, and losses. The three books were full of symbolism and irony. They were thought-provoking, but not an easy read. Nonetheless, they were worth the time needed to read the complete set.
Ashley Navarrete
I give it 4 stars because as much as it was well written and left good feelers all over the place... I would rather watch a Hallmark movie than read it in book form. That's what this felt like to me. Just not my personal taste, but fit in wonderfully with the palate I was trying to create to get into the holiday season!
Chris Notionless
Dec 15, 2014 Chris Notionless rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chris by: Coffee Shop Swap
Page turner, short read, moves quickly - powerful story of a woman finding a new family and teaching them what's important in life is often right there in front of us. Simple and moving, not overly religious. Recommended.
Daniel
The Christmas Box is another great book written by Richard Paul Evens.The Christmas Box has a main theme of love.In this book a family is not doing very well.The wife gets a job to help support the family.They move to this house with this old lady to help her.After they get to know the old lady they found out she was a widow and all her family died.Then they find out she has cancer.They would often her crying.Every night a box would let out music because it would if someone would turn it on.It b ...more
Laurie Kutil
I had seen the first two stories as movies also and liked those. "The Letter" was new to me thoughand really wrapped the whole series up neatly. A good book that was hard to put down.
Di
I was told that I had to read this book. After reading it, I don't think anyone really has to read it. It wasn't terrible, but it was just ok. It was a quick read considering it was 6oo plus pages.

It is broken up into three "stories". Each story follows a different period in the main characters, David and Maryanne's, lives. Its about love, honor and integrity, tough decisions and life regrets. The story tries to point out to us what's really important and what should matter to us most. Some part
Sandy
Apr 02, 2014 Sandy added it
This was a neat first experience with this author. I enjoyed the descriptions and the emotions expressed. Lovely.
Jeannie
Chosen for our December Book Club choice...just a nice touching story.
Kay Allen
One of the best gentle trilogies out there. I recommend for all readers!
Jessica Mccormick
Great heartfelt story.
Amanda
This book was amazing! I love how the stories are woven together and how pieces of information are left out until they really matter. This is a book with a message and it comes across loud and clear about the importance of family and standing up for what you believe.

I will admit to being angry with David during a few parts of this book but in the end I have to give him my respect. Maryanne is an amazing woman who goes through tragedy after tragedy and emerges a wise, graceful woman. How many pe
Renae
This book was a good reminder to enjoy the days that you are given.
Heather Bridson
This book made me cry in each story. I love the way the author mixes the bad parts these families face with love and faith. This si a great collection, and I recommend it to everyone. It is easy to read, and the stories should appeal to everyone. I am glad I'm done reading it..just to avoid more tragic events befalling families the reader becomes attached to. This story shows both the horrid parts of humanity, as well as the best and leads the reader to think about their own beliefs and actions ...more
Elaine
The Christmas Box - 2 stars Re: the movie - From Richard's business to Mary's sour temperament in the television version, the movie is definitely skewed from the book.

Timepiece - As in The Christmas Box, in the movie of this, there are also digressions from the book. - 2 stars

The Letter -p. 528 - I love this quote: "It has been a mistake living my life in the past. One cannot ride a horse backwards and still hold its reins." - 3 stars
Jane
I liked The Christmas Box best, The Letter second best, and TImepiece third. Timepiece dragged a bit for me.
Gabrielle
I have read The Christmas Box collection every year since I was in junior high. Its a tradiion for me every year in December to read the books. They are amazing books and the story is unforgettable. Its a must read for someone who likes to read christmas books. However The timepiece an The letter are not christmasy. These books are a must read for someone who likes to get sucked in to a story so amazing. Throughout the years the story has never let me go.
10-11 Alia
This book is a very sad book, It is about a girl that needs a job and becomes a nanny. She figures out that her boss is sick and there is no cure for the tumor she has so they are all in trouble and they do not no what to do. This is is a really good book hope you can read it if you haven't!
Alia Adi.
Who is exsited for christmas?!?! 1 3 Oct 23, 2011 08:21AM
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • The Gift of Christmas Present
  • Christmas Revels
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • By My Side: From This Day / Temptation
  • A Christmas Home
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • Glad Tidings (Here Comes Trouble & There's Something About Christmas)
  • Cajun Night Before Christmas
  • Cupid's Christmas
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • The Greatest Gift: The Original Story That Inspired the Christmas Classic It's a Wonderful Life
  • The Snow Angel
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...
The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1) The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box Trilogy #1) The Walk (The Walk, #1) The Locket (The Locket Trilogy #1) The Christmas List