Start by marking “The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box / Timepiece / The Letter (The Christmas Box, #1-3)” as Want to Read:

The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box / Timepiece / The Letter (The Christmas Box Trilogy #1-3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,821 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
THE CHRISTMAS BOX

A Christmas story unlike any other, The Christmas Box is the poignant tale of a widow and the young family who moves in with her. Together, they discover the first gift of Christmas --- and what the holiday is really all about.

TIMEPIECE

Tracing the lives of a young couple as they discover love, loyalty, and the power of forgiveness, Timepiece is a tale of
Published October 1st 1998 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Box Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Box Collection

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
47th out of 795 books — 1,107 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
I've Read It More Than 5 Times
312th out of 732 books — 423 voters

More lists with this book...

Oria
Dec 29, 2010 Oria rated it liked it
This is the kind of book that should be read at home by the fireplace, curled up on a sofa with a mug of mulled wine nearby. It is such a nice beautiful collection of stories, that I found myself overwhelmed at times by the lovely sad love stories between the pages.
There is grief and also joy, but above all there is love, the kind that endures even though it may seem that sometimes is ready to flicker and die, caught between doubt and temptation. There is also hate and despair and violence, and
Wayne S.
Sep 10, 2015 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing
I have previously read and reviewed author Richard Paul Evans’s #1 New York Times bestselling book The Christmas Box, in which a young family of Salt Lake City, UT, moves in with a widow, MaryAnne Parkin, and together they discover what the Christmas holiday is really all about. Timepiece and The Letter are “prequels” which tell the story of David and MaryAnne Parkin. In Timepiece David and MaryAnne meet, discover love, marry, find the power of forgiveness, and learn to cope with loss. What will ...more
Tracy Walters
Jul 31, 2011 Tracy Walters rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful book.....3 amazing stories that all intertwined and left you smiling with a broken heart. The Christmas Box has always been one of my favorite stories and it was wonderful to have the other two stories to add to the splendor of this story. MaryAnne and David Parkin are a beautiful couple that share an amazing love story and it really touches you deep inside when you get to know them alone and as a couple. This was a great read for me and I highly recommend it!
Dec 23, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A collection of three stories that tell of the love story between David and MaryAnne Parkin. Set in the early 20th century, the Parkins, through their experiences, teach us lessons of life, love and dealing with grief. The stories are interwoven beautifully and leave one weeping at their joys and griefs. I highly recommend this book as I learned many things about myself and my relationship with my loved ones.
Brandi
Dec 21, 2015 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who are looking for 'soul food' or deep subject matter, those looking for insight about God
Recommended to Brandi by: My Grandma
Shelves: read-in-2015
I picked up this book on a whim when I was with my grandma, perusing at a White Dove Thrift Shoppe (though, now that I've read the book, I wonder if it was really a whim that encouraged me to buy this trilogy...). The book was a steal - there was a sale that day, and this book happened to have the right colored tag that made it dirt cheap - and I'd heard my grandma talk about The Christmas Box before.

I'm glad that I bought it, especially because The Christmas Box Collection is one of the best bo
Felicia
Nov 01, 2011 Felicia rated it liked it
This is three books in one. I think I would like three separate books better. The first book "The Christmas Box" is good. The second one "The Timepiece p" was my favorite of the three but the hardest to read emotionally. The third "The Letter" was my least favorite but still good. The hardest part was the fact someone dies at the end of each one. They are all thought provoking and emotionally charged.
Lisa
Jan 30, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
This was a cute bunch of stories - good for drawing up some warm feelings about the past at Christmas time. I like how each stories characters are related to the characters in the other ones. I didn't expect it - I had not heard that it was a trilogy. I thought that it was just a bunch of random Christmas stories. It is so much more. Many tears were shed.
Julaine Evans
Dec 26, 2009 Julaine Evans rated it it was ok
This book is pretty depressing. It has a good message that we can change our lives no matter how terrible our choices may be. I don't want to cry for Christmas or the rest of the year so I would not suggest this story.
Sara
Dec 21, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing
Our family is currently reading "The Christmas Box" together and it is wonderful to have them discover it for the first time. I love the two following stories which are sort of a prequel to "The Christmas Box."
Barbara
Dec 27, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
This book brought together three books I had previously read and made a more complete story than any had been alone. I love the way R.P.Evans writes so this was a wonderful book for the Christmas season.
Pat Williams
Jan 25, 2016 Pat Williams rated it really liked it
Richard Paul Evans has a way with words! There are three stories within this book, all revolving around MaryAnn Chandler Parkin. "The Christmas Box", "The Timepiece", and "The Letter". The first written was "The Christmas Box"... and is an interesting Christmas story. The following two stories are pre-quils of a sort - with additional character building and introduction of new characters. Surprisingly, the second two stories include the issue of racism! Not something I expected in a Christmas se ...more
Meera
Jul 26, 2014 Meera rated it it was amazing
10 stars!!!!

Glad to find my tear glands still working...:-D:-D
Aimee
Dec 15, 2008 Aimee rated it it was amazing
I read this every December
Donna
Dec 12, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
I love this story even though it is so sad. I read the first book, The Christmas box, most Christmases. I have read the second book a few times and I was sure I'd read the last book but now I know I hadn't. I just finished reading them all and my heart is so full.

The first book starts with the end. When Mary is an elderly woman living alone in a huge mansion and has put an ad in the paper for a live in family to help with meals and with maintaining the home. It doesn't take long for the young co
GoldenjoyBazyll
Dec 03, 2013 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing
This is a WONDERFUL book! It is a three part series all based on a family that needed a place to live. They answered an ad in the newspaper that brought them to an elderly widow living in a mansion. If they were to move in- which they did- they needed to do some light housekeeping duties but mostly- be companions to the elderly woman. During the course of the story of the Christmas Box (first in the book) the families become very close and experience magic from an old bible box where music and l ...more
Jessika
Really, to be fair, I'd have to give this a 3.5. I liked it, I really did, but I'm not raving about it. As a collection of three novels that exist as a quasi-series, I'm just going to talk a little bit about each of them.

The Christmas Box

I've already reviewed the first novel, The Christmas Box before, and I feel like it sums up my feelings pretty well, so I'm gonna do a little bit of copy & paste here.

"Usually, I'm not the type of person to cry over books. If I read something particularly
Alyn
Nov 26, 2008 Alyn rated it it was amazing
Read this book in time for Christmas. It is a three-part book which revolves around life of Mary Anne Parkin as relayed by Richard Evan's family who moved to Salt Lake City.

The first story is about a Christmas Box the family found in the old attic. Mary Anne uses the representation to make Richard realize the importance of family, his child Jenna's passing childhood and the first gift of Christmas.

The second book is about an expensive timepiece, a grandfather clock which Mary Anne's husband Davi
Linda Husvar
Dec 15, 2014 Linda Husvar rated it really liked it
I found this trilogy very somber and poignant. Mary Anne and David rose from poverty to wealth during desperate Depression Era years. David's fight against racism and ignorance cost their family dearly. I liked the character development during death, grief, separation, and losses. The three books were full of symbolism and irony. They were thought-provoking, but not an easy read. Nonetheless, they were worth the time needed to read the complete set.
Sherrie
Jan 16, 2015 Sherrie rated it it was amazing
This was my book club's selection for December. I really enjoyed reading this collection of stories. The author took you inside the lives of this family. Through the generations he connects all the "dots" so the story is complete. I really like that about a book. I like to have all the "dots" connected. If your looking for a wonderful Christmas book to read this is the one.
Marianne
Jan 07, 2015 Marianne rated it really liked it
While cleaning out my house, I came across this book. My sister in law had given it to my grandmother as a Christmas gift in 1995. My grandmother passed away 10 years ago. I read the book in one sitting - it's not a long read. Very easy. And it's very good - pulls at your heart and makes you think a little. And definitely appropriate to read around Christmas.
Ashley
Nov 26, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
I give it 4 stars because as much as it was well written and left good feelers all over the place... I would rather watch a Hallmark movie than read it in book form. That's what this felt like to me. Just not my personal taste, but fit in wonderfully with the palate I was trying to create to get into the holiday season!
Chris Notionless
Dec 15, 2014 Chris Notionless rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chris by: Coffee Shop Swap
Page turner, short read, moves quickly - powerful story of a woman finding a new family and teaching them what's important in life is often right there in front of us. Simple and moving, not overly religious. Recommended.
Daniel
Oct 15, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews-2
The Christmas Box is another great book written by Richard Paul Evens.The Christmas Box has a main theme of love.In this book a family is not doing very well.The wife gets a job to help support the family.They move to this house with this old lady to help her.After they get to know the old lady they found out she was a widow and all her family died.Then they find out she has cancer.They would often her crying.Every night a box would let out music because it would if someone would turn it on.It b ...more
Kym
Dec 29, 2014 Kym rated it really liked it
I have read this collection a few times and enjoy it each time. Even when I'm running short on time I still read at least The Christmas Box at Christmastime each year. Heartwarming and uplifting.
Gretchen McClain
Jan 02, 2015 Gretchen McClain rated it it was amazing
These stories were really good. Unfortunately, there were 20 pages missing from my book. I leant it to a friend anyway pointing the misprint out. Inspiring read and I love the author!
Laurie Kutil
I had seen the first two stories as movies also and liked those. "The Letter" was new to me thoughand really wrapped the whole series up neatly. A good book that was hard to put down.
Di
Dec 04, 2008 Di rated it it was ok
I was told that I had to read this book. After reading it, I don't think anyone really has to read it. It wasn't terrible, but it was just ok. It was a quick read considering it was 6oo plus pages.

It is broken up into three "stories". Each story follows a different period in the main characters, David and Maryanne's, lives. Its about love, honor and integrity, tough decisions and life regrets. The story tries to point out to us what's really important and what should matter to us most. Some part
Chris Eirschele
Jan 03, 2015 Chris Eirschele rated it it was amazing
A modern day winter holiday classic. The Christmas Box Collection is made up of three stories by Richard Paul Evans. He intertwines the stories between the late 1920s through to the late 1960s. It is an easy relaxing book, a read for the ages.
Kathy
Feb 01, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I have read this book several times, usually around Christmas time. It is a wonderful heartfelt story.
Julie
Dec 27, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
I try to read a Christmas themed book every December just for the spirit of it.
Who is exsited for christmas?!?! 1 3 Oct 23, 2011 08:21AM
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Christmas Revels
  • Cajun Night Before Christmas(r)
  • By My Side: From This Day / Temptation
  • A Cup of Christmas Tea
  • The Gift of Christmas Present
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • Sweet Christmas Kisses: Fourteen Sweet Christmas Romances
  • The Snow Angel
  • Christmas Wishes
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • Miss Kane's Christmas
  • The Quiet Little Woman: Tilly's Christmas, Rosa's Tale : Three Enchanting Christmas Stories
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • The Christmas Tree
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...

The Christmas Box Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box, #1)
  • Timepiece (The Christmas Box, #2)
  • The Letter (The Christmas Box, #3)