Start by marking “To Feel Stuff” as Want to Read:
To Feel Stuff

To Feel Stuff

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  432 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Meet Elodie Harrington, college student and medical anomaly. From chicken pox to tuberculosis, Elodie suffers such a frequent barrage of illnesses that she moves into the Brown University infirmary. When charismatic Chess Hunter enters the infirmary with two smashed knees, he and Elodie begin an intense affair, but Chess is only a visitor to Elodie’s perpetual state of med ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Mariner Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about To Feel Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Feel Stuff

Allie
Aug 01, 2015 Allie marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery-crime, ya
I wonder if this book is getting a popularity bump because of episode 2 of Mystery Show...
Jackie
Aug 20, 2008 Jackie rated it did not like it
Have you ever read a book that so bad, yet you just can't stop reading it? This is that book. A huge disappointment, since I adored Seigel's previous book, Like the Red Panda. The main problem with the book is the main character's Mary Sue-ness. Most of the book is listening to people talk about how much they adore Elodie, how great and unique she is blah blah blah.

The problem is that none of these great qualities are actually written into the character - she's rather bland and boring. The stru
Heather
Jul 21, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of quirky premises
What a unique little book this is! I bought the paperback about four years ago, and it has undeservedly sat in abandonment amidst my other books up until this week. If you've ever run across this book in real life, you may have noticed its exquisite cover – the electric blue hands against the off-black background. I'm so glad this book was more than just a pretty face. Bret Easton Ellis perfectly nails the essence of To Feel Stuff as "a satire, ghost story, college romance, and medical drama – a ...more
Jenn
Jun 28, 2008 Jenn rated it it was ok
Very disappointing 2nd novel. Her first book rocked, but this was a pretentious melodrama.
Aug 03, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Elodie is a college student whose body has been under attack by a multitude and variety of illnesses. For convenience, she's moved herself into Brown University's infirmary, where she watches wistfully the comings and goings of other patients. Into the infirmary one day comes Chess Hunter, an a cappella singer whose knees have been destroyed in a random act of violence. Instantly feeling a connection, Elodie reaches out for the first time in a long time. But something even more unusual has begun ...more
Hannah Talecki
Mar 19, 2016 Hannah Talecki rated it it was ok
I can't help but feel like I just didn't "get" this book. The book is supposed to be written by three different characters, but they all sound exactly the same. The writing is weird and choppy and just... off. The whole book feels like it is building to something big, but then it just kind of ends.
Natalie
Nov 26, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: general
Once again, I wish I could make use of a half-star rating. I'd actually like to give this book 3.5 stars, but I'm going with three, instead.

This book was an interesting read, blending sickness, love, and the absence of normalcy with the paranormal, of all things. With such a deviance from the norm, cheesiness or unbelievability is a high probability. I'm happy to report that Seigel steers quite clear of both of these, though. I suspect she does so with the clinical nature the doctor's passages t
Sherrie
Jul 18, 2007 Sherrie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of the quirky.
Shelves: 2006booklist
Such a strange and wonderful story. A different narrator for random chapters…a bit confusing at first, but you catch on. The main character, Elodie Harrington, is a student at Brown University who lives in the college infirmary. She suffers from a variety of unrelated illnesses "piggybacked one upon another," so that she never fully recovers. Her story is told from three points of view—Dr. Mark Kirschling's who is chronicling her symptoms in the Journal of Parapsychology and letters between Elod ...more
Andrea Buschman
Oct 23, 2014 Andrea Buschman rated it it was ok
It was a fast read, that was good. The characters were strange. What was up with Elodie? Was she a hypochondriac? And why didn't she just go home instead of taking up residence in the infirmary? I thought the doctor was creepy, and it seemed like he wanted the relationship to be more than Dr/patient. And Chess? He was just there for a diversion.
Kierra Trivette
May 22, 2013 Kierra Trivette rated it it was ok
I picked up this book because the idea of the central character's constant encounters with back to back illnesses interested me. I was disappointed when this was not a focus of the book but I was still entertained with the style of the book. I enjoyed the way the author wrote, the phrases she used and the imagery she created with her words. I did not care for the format of the book, as I found the dialogue a bit hard to follow with the changing of character point of view. I didn't care much for ...more
Bryan Hall
Oct 31, 2015 Bryan Hall rated it really liked it
Yes, I only read it because the book was the subject of the "Britney" episode of Mystery Show. But it definitely turned out to be worth it. It goes from a curious medical story to a young adult hospital romance to a ghost story, and feels natural throughout. Looking back on it as a whole I'm not completely sold, but while I was reading I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Elise
Feb 03, 2014 Elise rated it really liked it
I could not put this book down! I loved the narration of the three characters - two were writing letters toe ach other and the Doctor was writing for a jounral. THe story was very unique and intriguing. I absolutely loved the main girl! My only complain was the end, which was a bit confusing!
Garret Rose
This novel is quite strange and that is what I love about it. Andrea Seigel thinks outside the box and once you enter into her world, there is no turning back. This is the strangest love story that i have ever read, but one I will want to read again.
Tara Marie
Sep 15, 2015 Tara Marie rated it liked it
Not a bad book. It was a decent read, fairly fast and easy but it wasn't what I expected. It fell a bit flat for me. I thought something big would happen but I was left disappointed.
Vicki
Mar 15, 2016 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
Interesting book. I am more impressed with the fact that Ms. Seigel is 26 years old, and this is her second novel. I look forward to reading her future works.
michelle
Jul 08, 2016 michelle added it
Shelves: kindle, ladies, 2016
like everyone else in the comments on this book, I read it because of that podcast episode.
Jessica
Oct 31, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
I really dug this. At no point did I ever feel able to predict what would happen next.
Megan
Aug 17, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
I wish I could give it 3.5 stars, because there were several points where I felt sure I was going to hate it. At one point I thought (incorrectly) it was going to be some pretentious bs about lending Meaning to your life (with the capitalization that I detest). But 3 stars does not seem fair enough for how good it was, so it shall receive 4 from me. A quality coming of age story told in a super interesting way- one which cannot be described without spoilers. I liked it a lot and I recommend it! ...more
Noli  Janos
Jun 08, 2016 Noli Janos rated it it was ok
Don't bother really
Lauren
Mar 26, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
A good follow up to "Like the Red Panda". Andrea Seigal definetely has a distincitive voice and a way to keep things very interesting and different. I like how she uses three very different characters to tell the same story. Each person tells their version of a piece and the next person picks up where the other left off. It is def not like anything I've read before. And just when you think you are going to find out just whats going on and think you've figured it out for yourself....she completel ...more
Tammy
Dec 11, 2012 Tammy rated it really liked it
This book is a haunting little backwards tale that you really don't want to like when you are reading it but are drawn in to Elodies world and end up loving the book.
Elodie is sick living at the infirmary at college. She meets different people coming in and out of the health center and this is the tale of some of those people. Its a medical story a love story a ghost story all rolled into an unforgettable story. I have actually read the book twice. Once in 2)07/2008 and then again now.
Brandy
Jan 11, 2008 Brandy rated it liked it
First love, medical complications, resistance to becoming one's parents, finding oneself, and a dash of the supernatural for good measure. About what you'd expect from a 26-year-old author in terms of the romance and college-student fears (particularly the becoming-one's-mother sort of thing), and the ending lacks the emotional punch of Like the Red Panda. Not great, not terrible.
Kira
Oct 13, 2015 Kira rated it it was ok
I only read this book because Britney Spears did. It is not good. The story has potential but it just never gets there. The writing is terrible. Again, it has potential, and she has good ideas, but it doesn't work.
Erica
May 12, 2010 Erica rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a rather bizarre read - about a young woman who basically has moved into the infirmary of her college (I want to say Brown, but I can't recall, and don't have the book in front of me). Not much to say about it, really. It's a little bit of a ghost story, I suppose. I read Seigel's first novel and finished it feeling every bit as unsettled.
Mary
Mar 01, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
E is a young girl who suffers from a continuous cycle of diseases and lives in a college infirmary. M is a professor who sees E as a ticket to a ground-breaking study. C is a senior who falls in love with E after he ends up in the infirmary with two busted knee caps. Each character narates his feelings and thoughts.
Offbalance
Nov 08, 2007 Offbalance rated it liked it
This kind of read like Copeland-lite, but as a sucker for epistolary novels, I found myself fully engaged in this story of a raging hypochondriac and the people she crosses paths with. Though the story is a bit thin, the characters and vivid descriptions made for an easy read.
Amber Beasley
Oct 31, 2013 Amber Beasley rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
I liked this book a lot. It was very slow and you really don't know completely what it's about until maybe a third through it. at least I didn't. When I started reading it I thought it was something totally different than it turned out to be. I really liked it though.
Ann
Aug 06, 2007 Ann rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book! My mom liked it, but it took me forever to get through because I never wanted to read it. If you like stories that involve the supernatural, then check it out. Otherwise, forget it.
Jessica
Jul 27, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok
Andrea Seigel is no doubt a very talented writer, which is what kept me reading this book despite recommendations that I should not have. I am bothered by how it ended; interesting.
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2007 Elizabeth rated it liked it
This book was given to me by a friend to read. I really enjoyed reading this book, although I wouldn't it's one of my favorites.It was a very interesting concept and easy to follow.
  • Roommates
  • Sylvia and Ted
  • Everything She Wants (The 310, #2)
  • Getting Over Tom
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 14 (Nodame Cantabile, #14)
  • Kidnapped: His Innocent Mistress
  • Hidden
  • Tenderwire
  • In the Space Left Behind
  • The Eggnog Chronicles
  • Like a Thorn
  • Frost Bites (Edgar & Ellen Nodyssey, #2)
  • تانغو طوكيو
  • Love Remains
  • One Pill Makes You Smaller: A Novel
  • Heroes: Volume Two
  • Jack's Widow
  • Alice MacLeod, Realist at Last (Alice MacLeod, #3)
ANDREA SEIGEL is the author of two novels for adults, Like the Red Panda and To Feel Stuff, as well as the YA novel, The Kid Table, and the forthcoming YA novel, Everybody Knows Your Name, co-written with Brent Bradshaw. In September 2014 A24 will release the film Laggies, written by Seigel, directed by Lynn Shelton, and starring Keira Knightley, Chloe Moretz, and Sam Rockwell. She lives in South ...more
More about Andrea Seigel...

“Are you in pain?' I asked, because I know that everything in the world that matters shows up as some kind of pain. Or pang. Joy included.” 2 likes