To Feel Stuff

To Feel Stuff

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Meet Elodie Harrington, college student and medical anomaly. From chicken pox to tuberculosis, Elodie suffers such a frequent barrage of illnesses that she moves into the Brown University infirmary. When charismatic Chess Hunter enters the infirmary with two smashed knees, he and Elodie begin an intense affair, but Chess is only a visitor to Elodie's perpetual state of med...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Mariner Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about To Feel Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Feel Stuff

Jackie
Have you ever read a book that so bad, yet you just can't stop reading it? This is that book. A huge disappointment, since I adored Seigel's previous book, Like the Red Panda. The main problem with the book is the main character's Mary Sue-ness. Most of the book is listening to people talk about how much they adore Elodie, how great and unique she is blah blah blah.

The problem is that none of these great qualities are actually written into the character - she's rather bland and boring. The stru...more
Jenn
Very disappointing 2nd novel. Her first book rocked, but this was a pretentious melodrama.
Jul 21, 2011 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of quirky premises
What a unique little book this is! I bought the paperback about four years ago, and it has undeservedly sat in abandonment amidst my other books up until this week. If you've ever run across this book in real life, you may have noticed its exquisite cover – the electric blue hands against the off-black background. I'm so glad this book was more than just a pretty face. Bret Easton Ellis perfectly nails the essence of To Feel Stuff as "a satire, ghost story, college romance, and medical drama – a...more
Natalie
Once again, I wish I could make use of a half-star rating. I'd actually like to give this book 3.5 stars, but I'm going with three, instead.

This book was an interesting read, blending sickness, love, and the absence of normalcy with the paranormal, of all things. With such a deviance from the norm, cheesiness or unbelievability is a high probability. I'm happy to report that Seigel steers quite clear of both of these, though. I suspect she does so with the clinical nature the doctor's passages t...more
Elodie is a college student whose body has been under attack by a multitude and variety of illnesses. For convenience, she's moved herself into Brown University's infirmary, where she watches wistfully the comings and goings of other patients. Into the infirmary one day comes Chess Hunter, an a cappella singer whose knees have been destroyed in a random act of violence. Instantly feeling a connection, Elodie reaches out for the first time in a long time. But something even more unusual has begun...more
Sherrie
Jul 18, 2007 Sherrie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of the quirky.
Shelves: 2006booklist
Such a strange and wonderful story. A different narrator for random chapters…a bit confusing at first, but you catch on. The main character, Elodie Harrington, is a student at Brown University who lives in the college infirmary. She suffers from a variety of unrelated illnesses "piggybacked one upon another," so that she never fully recovers. Her story is told from three points of view—Dr. Mark Kirschling's who is chronicling her symptoms in the Journal of Parapsychology and letters between Elod...more
Kierra Trivette
I picked up this book because the idea of the central character's constant encounters with back to back illnesses interested me. I was disappointed when this was not a focus of the book but I was still entertained with the style of the book. I enjoyed the way the author wrote, the phrases she used and the imagery she created with her words. I did not care for the format of the book, as I found the dialogue a bit hard to follow with the changing of character point of view. I didn't care much for...more
Elise
I could not put this book down! I loved the narration of the three characters - two were writing letters toe ach other and the Doctor was writing for a jounral. THe story was very unique and intriguing. I absolutely loved the main girl! My only complain was the end, which was a bit confusing!
Megan
I wish I could give it 3.5 stars, because there were several points where I felt sure I was going to hate it. At one point I thought (incorrectly) it was going to be some pretentious bs about lending Meaning to your life (with the capitalization that I detest). But 3 stars does not seem fair enough for how good it was, so it shall receive 4 from me. A quality coming of age story told in a super interesting way- one which cannot be described without spoilers. I liked it a lot and I recommend it!...more
Lauren
A good follow up to "Like the Red Panda". Andrea Seigal definetely has a distincitive voice and a way to keep things very interesting and different. I like how she uses three very different characters to tell the same story. Each person tells their version of a piece and the next person picks up where the other left off. It is def not like anything I've read before. And just when you think you are going to find out just whats going on and think you've figured it out for yourself....she completel...more
Tammy
This book is a haunting little backwards tale that you really don't want to like when you are reading it but are drawn in to Elodies world and end up loving the book.
Elodie is sick living at the infirmary at college. She meets different people coming in and out of the health center and this is the tale of some of those people. Its a medical story a love story a ghost story all rolled into an unforgettable story. I have actually read the book twice. Once in 2)07/2008 and then again now.
Brandy
First love, medical complications, resistance to becoming one's parents, finding oneself, and a dash of the supernatural for good measure. About what you'd expect from a 26-year-old author in terms of the romance and college-student fears (particularly the becoming-one's-mother sort of thing), and the ending lacks the emotional punch of Like the Red Panda. Not great, not terrible.
Erica
This was a rather bizarre read - about a young woman who basically has moved into the infirmary of her college (I want to say Brown, but I can't recall, and don't have the book in front of me). Not much to say about it, really. It's a little bit of a ghost story, I suppose. I read Seigel's first novel and finished it feeling every bit as unsettled.
Mary
E is a young girl who suffers from a continuous cycle of diseases and lives in a college infirmary. M is a professor who sees E as a ticket to a ground-breaking study. C is a senior who falls in love with E after he ends up in the infirmary with two busted knee caps. Each character narates his feelings and thoughts.
Offbalance
This kind of read like Copeland-lite, but as a sucker for epistolary novels, I found myself fully engaged in this story of a raging hypochondriac and the people she crosses paths with. Though the story is a bit thin, the characters and vivid descriptions made for an easy read.
Amber Beasley
I liked this book a lot. It was very slow and you really don't know completely what it's about until maybe a third through it. at least I didn't. When I started reading it I thought it was something totally different than it turned out to be. I really liked it though.
Ann
I did not enjoy this book! My mom liked it, but it took me forever to get through because I never wanted to read it. If you like stories that involve the supernatural, then check it out. Otherwise, forget it.
Jessica
Andrea Seigel is no doubt a very talented writer, which is what kept me reading this book despite recommendations that I should not have. I am bothered by how it ended; interesting.
Elizabeth
This book was given to me by a friend to read. I really enjoyed reading this book, although I wouldn't it's one of my favorites.It was a very interesting concept and easy to follow.
Samara Gagne
My first read by this author - definitely finished it satisfied. Well done! This is one of those books that I'll reread well into the future.
Heather
Took me a while to get into but really enjoyed by the end. IT had a little of everything and her writing style was very true to how a lot of converstations progress.
Currie Underwood
started out as a medical mystery, turned into a love story and ended with a paranormal explanation. The only word I can think of to describe this book is 'random'
Mo
Kind of like if Curtis Sittenfeld got it on with House,MD while watching Ghostbusters...Quite intriguing...a little bit college lit, medical mystery and ghost story.
Jennww2ns
Not sure what to think about it.
Heather
I really enjoyed another of this author's books, but this one I did not like. I don't do supernatural, but really it was just odd.
Adrillew
great novel. another writer with a fresh perspective, something truly original, inventive, and decently written. very enjoyable.
Cara
about as good as its title. an interesting idea, and at least it was different. but some truly bad lines.
Breeann Kirby
Very quote-able. Ending not that great but a lot of surprising and refreshing moments.
Audrey
This book was okay. A little shallow in my opinion, but entertaining.

Ok book. Easy read. Interesting characters. Unusual ending.
  • Lost Summer
  • Manga! Manga!: World of Japanese Comics
  • Sherlock Holmes: Selected Stories
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 11 (Nodame Cantabile, #11)
  • Beautiful Stranger: A Memoir of an Obsession with Perfection
  • They Came From Below
  • Queen Geeks In Love
  • Who Moved My Blackberry?
  • You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah!
  • Intuition (Bennett Sisters, #1)
  • Alice MacLeod, Realist at Last (Alice MacLeod, #3)
  • Fat Girls and Lawn Chairs
  • Pretty Little Dirty
  • Heroes: Volume Two
  • What You Have Left
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • Conception
  • To Catch A Vampire (A F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #2)
ANDREA SEIGEL is the author of two novels for adults, Like the Red Panda and To Feel Stuff, as well as the YA novel, The Kid Table, and the forthcoming YA novel, Everybody Knows Your Name, co-written with Brent Bradshaw. In September 2014 A24 will release the film Laggies, written by Seigel, directed by Lynn Shelton, and starring Keira Knightley, Chloe Moretz, and Sam Rockwell. She lives in South...more
More about Andrea Seigel...
Like the Red Panda The Kid Table Everybody Knows Your Name