Start by marking “And All the Stars” as Want to Read:

And All the Stars

Come for the apocalypse.
Stay for cupcakes.
Die for love.

Madeleine Cost is working to become the youngest person ever to win the Archibald Prize for portraiture. Her elusive cousin Tyler is the perfect subject: androgynous, beautiful, and famous. All she needs to do is pin him down for the sittings.

None of her plans factored in the Spires: featureless, impossible, spearing i
ebook, Kobo Ebook drmfree
Published by Andrea K Hosth (first published September 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about And All the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And All the Stars

Wendy Darling
Man, this book rocked my socks. And I cried! I freaking cried.

In the interests of full disclosure, I would have read this book, even if this hadn't happened:

But the fact that I crazily love it make it even more special.

Review to come.
Jaidee

2.5 "well-meaning, baby-tea, dystopian" stars.

Let me start with what I loved about this book.

1. The book cover. It is sooooo gorgeous. I found myself looking at it frequently. It appealed to me very much.

2. The description of this book tickled me pink and I repeated it many times to my partner, family, friends and even colleagues. It goes like this:

"Come for the apocalypse. Stay for cupcakes. Die for love."

I friggin love this description. I want a t-shirt in magenta that says all of the above.
Andrea
Jan 13, 2012 Andrea added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
And All the Stars began as a discussion on Goodreads about another of my novels, Stray. Two readers, Flannery and Wendy Darling, were particularly taken with the first section of Cassandra's story, and encouraged me to write a survivalist or post-apocalyptic novel. I shrugged and said I don't write survivalist or post-apocalyptic novels...and promptly began thinking about what kind of survivalist or post-apocalyptic novel I would write, if I were ever to write such a thing.
Estara
May 10, 2012 Estara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes the Touchstone trilogy ... well... everyone, really ^^
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy author
How to do a non-spoilery review of this? I think I'll have to save a real review until my next read - which won't be long from now - when the book is actually out and I can squee and discuss with more people, so here are some bookpushy highlights that hopefully don't give too much away:

I wrote this on the Booksmugglers On The Smuggler's Radar post this week (cleaned for spelling errors :P)

It’s teenage apocalypse without dystopia! It’s got humour, it’s got an action plot of breathlessness, it’s g
Jenna
The first thing that attracted me to And All The Stars was the cover. Isn't it pretty? Reading the book made me appreciate it even more, because it actually depicts a character exactly as she's described, which is refreshing. The character in question is Madeleine, a budding artist who is caught in St James train station in the Sydney CBD when a massive spire erupts from the ground and spurts purple dust over the city. A purple dust that kills some, turns some green and others blue. Madeleine he ...more
Eleanor
Dec 05, 2012 Eleanor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having been burned by too many bad indie-published novels to be tempted, I admit I bought And All The Stars on the strength of the tagline alone. Come for the apocalypse. Stay for cupcakes. Die for love. Gorgeous. Based on this, I expected the novel to be of a certain strange, discordant feel and it did not disappoint. For the first 25% anyway. I loved how it was this cathartic survivalist story of one girl pitted against the elements, covered in toxic glitter while people hidden behind glass wi ...more
Keertana
And All the Stars and I got off to a slow start. For some reason, it was nearly impossible to get me to pick this one up. Perhaps it was because I didn't think anything with aliens could captivate me the way Doctor Who does or perhaps it was the fact that whenever I tried to read past the first page, my mind just drew up a giant question mark. Either way, I encourage you all to give this novel a chance for, truly, it is spectacular.

One of the biggest downfalls this novel has going for it, in my
Heidi
Oct 08, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the last year or so I’ve been pushing myself to read more SciFi, but even still there’s one thing that I’ve always completely shied away from: aliens. I just…I don’t know, it’s not my thing I guess. I prefer my wizards and fairies and dragons, I’m not so much of the ‘take me to your leader’ ‘phone home’ crowd. But then I was seduced by a gorgeous cover (which accurately reflects the character it portrays–huzzah!), and raving reviews by friends (knowing this was dedicated to my buddies Wendy a ...more
Nafiza
Oct 02, 2012 Nafiza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
The reason this novel resonated with me so deeply is because of the logical manner in which events progressed. Say that something like the premise actually happens in the far off future, preferably when I am dead and long gone, I can see humanity reacting the way it does in the novel. Host’s novel is utterly believable that’s not an easy feat for a book featuring parasitic aliens.

For such a slim novel to deliver the way it did was astonishing. Host’s characterizations and portrayals of friendshi
TheBookSmugglers
And All the Stars caught me completely by surprise to the point where I must start this review with simply a: Wowza, that is one great Scifi YA book. A warning: it is impossible to talk about the book without including minor spoilers so if you don’t want to know details just know that in a nutshell: this is a good Scifi story featuring multi-racial characters with diverse sexual orientation (including a cross-dresser) in a complex ensemble cast that form a kick-ass team to fight for their lives. ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Wow. Just. Wow. I loved this book, though I'm having a difficult time articulating why without so many spoilers as to defeat the purpose of a review. The story is set in a near-future Sydney (as in, Australia); though the events are world-wide as alien spires erupt in hundreds of Earth's cities. Spores dispense from those spires, changing those it comes in contact with (often enough to the state of being dead). Those that survive have blue or green (never both) patches appear on their skin.

Our v
Bonnie
Most dystopian's tend to be the story of what came after, of how the Earth had changed and how lives were transformed. In 'And All The Stars' we get a glimpse into the inner-workings of the change while it's actually happening and affecting people now. Strange clouds have spread across the skies of the city and sparkling dust is emanating from them.

'The rest, from just below her collarbone down, was an unbroken dark blue, studded with motes of light. Galaxies, nebulae and fiery novae. They weren
Rachel Brown
Come for the apocalypse.
Stay for cupcakes.
Die for love.

Solid, inventive, well-characterized YA science fiction. By “science fiction,” I mean “cool powers and alien invasion,” not “paper-thin dystopia in which the government’s main concern appears to be micro-managing the love triangles of teenagers.”

Madeleine, an aspiring artist, visits Sydney to paint her cousin Tyler’s portrait. Tyler is a famous cross-dressing actor, and probably my favorite character in the book despite his comparatively sma
Kevin
Okay. I loved this. How has a major publishing company, NOT picked this up.

I know this story started off as pretty much an extended wish by some very fun bloggers, but thank goodness for these people. I really really loved it.

Basically And All The Stars, is a apocalyptic novel that works. This story didn't need extensive world building or mystery, because most of the facts of what happened were present right from the beginning. Madeleine the narrator, is a bit of an outcast and really starts
Stefani
Oct 02, 2012 Stefani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: net-galley
Allow me a moment to sound like a lovestruck teenager please. I love this book, cue sigh. No, I lurv this book! Cue more dramatic sighing. Okay, lovestruck fangirl moment has passed, let’s get on with this reviewing business. I admit that the synopsis of this book made me think long and hard about if I wanted to read it or not. But I do love apocalypse novels and the idea of potential alien invaders was fantastic. It piqued my interest enough that I requested a copy for review. Part of me wants ...more
Maria Elmvang
Amazing book. Absolutely amazing. So amazing, in fact, that I have to calm down a bit and pick myself up off the floor before I can sit down and write an eloquent review. It's Tomorrow, When the War Began meets The Host. Amazing.

Edit, the following day: Okay, I will see if I can be a bit less squee-ful in my review now.

And All the Stars is the story of an alien invasion. Madeleine has skipped school in order to paint her beautiful, androgynous cousin, Tyler. However, this put her in exactly the
Caitlin
I'm unabashedly an Andrea K. Höst fan. I need a little time to digest this novel, re-read some areas and pontificate on the length of time I can manage without another dose of her writing.

I'll bullet point the strengths which are usual per Host's novels:

-Relatable leads
-Crush-worthy love interests
-Amazing secondary cast
-Dynamic & well-rounded
-Focuses on friendships, and handles the romance with a light hand rather than cramming it down your throat per YA's usual fare.
-A plot that makes you
Tsana Dolichva
Oct 07, 2012 Tsana Dolichva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And All the Stars is the first novel I've read by Andrea K Höst, self-published Australian author. I usually only self-published books by authors previously known to me — there are so many books out there, one has to filter somehow. However, Höst caught my eye because I remembered her being the first self-published author to be shortlisted for an Aurealis Award (last year, for the 2010 award). The shortlisting is a pretty good indication that her writing doesn't suck. Add that to science fiction ...more
Kerry
Dec 16, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 9, sf, 2012
Another very successful novel from Andrea K. Höst. I thoroughly enjoyed her Touchstone Trilogy. This new novel, again set in Australia and with a SF-based mystery, was published about the time I finished that series, so I bought it as soon as it was released.

I really enjoyed it. Höst has come up with a fascinating premise and then slowly unfolded it and revealed more and more clues until we come to know what is really going on. I liked Madeleine a lot and enjoyed the way the story and characters
Aryn
Firstly, this cover is friggin' gorgeous. I thought the little thumbnails I'd seen were beautiful, but when I blew it up for this review I realized how much detail I was missing, in the model's eyes, specifically. and all the stars, obviously refers to the stars under the model's left eye, but honestly the more I look at this cover, the more I like it - it also could have been a reference to the sparkle in her eyes, or even the freckles on her neck. Basically, the cover art gets a full five star ...more
Roslyn
Jan 04, 2013 Roslyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be rather different in many ways than Höst's other novels, and it's my least favourite so far. At the same time it does share some central issues and features evident in Höst's other work, and I found I enjoyed the novel on the whole despite my reservations.

This is the most ‘conventional’ so far of Höst’s novels. This might seem to be because it’s set firmly in our world, a few years in the future, in Sydney (an aspect I really appreciated, along with the Aussie colloquialisms -
Jill
For me, the twists and plot reveals in And All the Stars are among the novel’s strongest points, so this review will be vague and short in order to prevent spoilage.

This is a marvelous scifi/post-apocalyptic YA novel (there are tinges of romance and lots of action as well, so basically every genre ever is represented here). Here are the top reasons why you should read it:

1. a hilarious and original cast of characters: why is it that fictional characters are so much better than most of the peopl
Rachel Neumeier
Feb 22, 2013 Rachel Neumeier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, yeah, I finally read my first self-published book. Well, almost my first. Actually my second. The first was okay, more or less, in a decidedly mediocre kind of way. But this one was excellent. I picked it up primarily because of a review by Heidi over at Bunbury in the Stacks. I’d seen a couple other reviews, but this one tipped me over the edge, especially when I happened across an offer of the title in kindle format for 99c. I mean, at that price, there’s no actual risk involved in the p ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Sherwood Smith
Oct 03, 2012 Sherwood Smith added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sherwood by: Estara Swanberg
Shelves: sf
Madeleine, an artist, sneaked off on an art-related trip rather than going to school, when the world is attacked.

She finds herself in the wreckage of a station, wading through weird blue dust. She discovers a strange wall where there had not been one, and many victims of the forceful appearance of that wall, before she makes it to her cousin's to collapse.

She wakes up changed.

Eventually she goes out to find others, find out what's going on, and of course to seek help. But everyone is doing the
jesse
usually i don't bother buying a book which practically landed in my lap for free (netgalley arc!). usually. this isn't one of those occasions, even though i skipped parts of it, i think this is a book that deserves to be heard of. so i additionally bought the e-book copy of this, to contribute in a small way.

the honesty and realness of the situations played out, is what actually made the story so different and original from any other book with ya-characters on the market. (view spoiler)
Mike
It is official: I AM HOOKED ON SURVIVAL STORIES. Every YA book I've read with major survival elements has ranged from really good to absolutely brilliant. This one falls closer to the latter extreme. I read Stray a few months ago, and it was a close choice between reading this next and reading Lab Rat One. I'm so glad I chose this one, because oh, what a fantastic effort on Host's part. It didn't find a place on my list of favorites, but it came close.

The best part was the wonderful cast of char
Lexie
Mar 26, 2012 Lexie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
First things first--Höst is one of my top five favorite authors.  She has not, to date, let me down at all in any of her books I've read.  And I've read practically all of them.  As such I'm a bit of a fangirl when I talk about her to my other reading friends.  That said I am as completely unbiased as I can be given the above statement.

This is definitely a powerful novel.

I've always felt that Höst's main characters are relatable. Cassandra from the Touchstone books wasn't this all-powerful super
Tahlia Newland
Nov 18, 2012 Tahlia Newland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, post-apocalyptic
Every now and then, I come across a book that blows me away with its perfection. This is one of them. I knew early on that it was going to be a great book because it was so well written. Frankly, I was surprised to find out it was a self-published book. If anyone dares to tell you that Indie books are inferior quality, tell them to read this one, then shut up.

And all the Stars is completely unlike anything else I’ve ever read; a three phase take over of the world by human-possessing Aliens. Firs
Ruby
This review was first posted on http://rubysreads.com.

I’ve never been so happy to be proven wrong about self-published books. And All the Stars is the kind of book I’m always searching for, regardless of who published it. Well-written, tightly plotted and titillatingly characterized, here lies a masterwork. In fact, I’m kind of surprised that this book hasn’t gotten more buzz. I heard about it on The Booksmuggler’s blog (it was featured on their Radar and then Ana reviewed it), but it was sheer
Space Opera Fans : AND ALL THE STARS by Andrea K. Höst 5 22 May 12, 2016 06:29PM
  • Taming the Forest King
  • Preloved
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • Singing the Dogstar Blues
  • Out of This Place
  • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
  • Pure Magic
  • Hostage (The Change, #2)
  • Broken (Extrahumans, #1)
  • Cybernetic
  • The City's Son (The Skyscraper Throne, #1)
  • Larkstorm (The Sensitives, #1)
  • The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • I'll Tell You Mine
  • Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1)
  • The Last Girl (The Last Trilogy #1)
  • Happy Snak
Born in Sweden and raised in Australia, Andrea K Höst currently lives in Sydney. She writes fantasy, but wanders occasionally into science fantasy.

Her novel "The Silence of Medair" was a finalist for the 2010 Aurealis Award for best fantasy novel.
More about Andrea K. Höst...

“We would never have met," he explained, voice dropping to a husky note. "I would have gone about my life and not thought I was missing anything. You would have – you would have painted obsessively, all those transformative images, and I would be someone unimagined and unknown, and I cannot decide whether it would be trite to call that a tragedy or if I should resent you for making this – all this death – somehow bearable, tolerable for the tenuous joy I have gained. You steal my anger and leave me dazed."

He stopped, took a shaking breath, then laughed.

"I sound like Pan's understudy, failing to channel Shakespeare. There's no way to do more than guess what would have happened if Fisher Charteris and Madeleine Cost met one day in a world which had never feared dust, any more than we can be certain of surviving two years, or two days. I can't speak to what-ifs, but I know I will always be glad to have been here in this moment with you.”
11 likes