Start by marking “Thirtynothing” as Want to Read:
Thirtynothing

Thirtynothing

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  4,813 ratings  ·  110 reviews
That's the premise of the sparkling new romantic comedy from the author of the acclaimed international bestseller Ralph's Party -- an irresistible novel about best friends, turning thirty . . . and falling in love.The critics raved about Lisa Jewell's bestselling debut novel, calling Ralph's Party "addictively readable" (The Times, London); "like going to a great dinner pa ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Plume (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Thirtynothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirtynothing

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Chick-Lit
289th out of 1,411 books — 3,676 voters
Fight Club by Chuck PalahniukHigh Fidelity by Nick HornbyTrainspotting by Irvine WelshGhost World by Daniel ClowesThe Zombie Room by R.D. Ronald
Talking 'Bout My Generation...
108th out of 423 books — 389 voters

More lists with this book...

Stina
This book was even more stupid and predictible than I thought it would be. Ugh.
Jennifer Joyce
Thirty Nothing was published over ten years ago and I’ve read it many times but the book is still as fresh and fun now as the first time I read it. Dig and Nadine have a wonderful, close friendship and I could feel Nadine’s pain as she felt it slipping away, both while they were at school and years later as adults. Delilah was the epitome of cool when she arrived at the school; mysterious and beautiful, immediately popular and Nadine didn’t feel she could compete for Dig’s attention and her inse ...more
Ann
Dig and Deen and their crazy lives. So, the story was predictable but what chick-flick isnt? They always fall in love with each other.

(view spoiler)

It was quite enjoyable to read. But it irritaded me so much how adult, mature people are just so weak to say `no`. Dig, who was a complete cleanness freak put so easily up with Delilah, his first love
Tree
It's on the high 2 star end...I've just been overly generous with my stars lately.

It's a fun enough book - just not good. It's predictable and I don't see "real" people doing the same things as Deen and Dig, at least for 20 plus years.
Marisa
The liner notes compared Jewell to Nick Hornby, perhaps because of all the dysfunctional characters. I found the characters' actions hard to believe; their motivations for doing rash and unbelievably foolish things were weak.
*Lee*
Jan 09, 2009 *Lee* rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting a light fluffy chicklit read
Emily
Dig Ryan just turn thirty and wakes up once again with a young girl in his bed leaving him question where he is really headed with his life. Nursing his hangover he goes to his best-friend since school Nadine. In discussion they make a bet that they will both start looking for real relationships and the first one who succeeds wins. On the way home they run into Delilah, Dig's first love and the one who pulled Dig and Nadine apart before. Dig on a trip down memory lane causes strife in their rela ...more
Debbie
"Thirtynothing" was a book that was very inconsistent. Sometimes it was so funny, I couldn't stop laughing. At other times, it was rather predictable and I found myself wanting to slap the main characters. Overall, I liked the book, but I wasn't sure that I did up until the last 100 pages. There is a lot of graphic sex, profanity, references to drugs and alcohol. I'm undecided on whether or not I plan to read more by this author. I would say, if you liked "Bridget Jones", you might like this boo ...more
Dora Okeyo
Story: Dig + Deen (Nadine) = Best friends (but they are in love with each other, they just don't know why they have to have meaningless relationships)
I liked: Their friendship, they stayed friends for 20 years plus- that is quite beautiful.
I did not like: The endless thoughts and having to get into their heads for over three pages, just to have them whine about how pathetic the other person's partner is and all that.
I admired: Nadine, she did end up doing what she loved and thanks to her photogr
Kristi
purchased at the Phoenix airport
High school best buddies Nadine and Dig finally figure out that they love each other when they turn 30. British "When Harry Met Sally."
Favorite character: Digby the dog!

I was slightly entertained. A bit hopeful that affairs of the heart do eventually work out. Sort of reminded me of my relationships.
Carrie Allen
What a fun book! Kind of an eye opener-lots of people waste relationships and miss out on things that are right in front of them just because they are too afraid or they get stuck in "friend zone" territory. So silly- who better to marry than your best friend? This book makes me happy.
Jules
I read about 1/2 of this book. It just didn't keep my attention. I thought the initial idea was quite cute, but it ran that idea into the ground. The same situation kept repeating itself in different scenarios. Plus, there was no doubt how it was going to end.
Kristin
This book I found at the lake...someone's cast-off. As there wasn't much else of interest to read I read it. It is the story of two 30-something Londoners, Dig and Nadine, who are best friends and unlucky in love. After a decade of failed romances they decide to get their lives together and find their perfect mates.

This book had a lot of charm and some very funny scenes. Laugh out loud scenes. It was sassy British fiction and romantic comedy ala Bridget Jone's Diary. The problem...literally the
Glynis
I love Lisa Jewell. She makes me laugh and sometimes that is all we need in a book especially when you have just tried to read the most depressing poorly written book about a sink estate.
Ying Lee
This is my least favourite of her books but one that I can relate to.

Two friends who always hang out together and have bad relationships and realise that they are soulmates and perfect for one another whilst facing jealousy in the process.

As they are soo close, they don't have friends who can knock their heads together and tell them to open their eyes. It takes exes and work colleagues.

A good love story with a happy ending :)
Katie
Definitely chick lit. It was predictable at every turn. It was fairly well written, even though sometimes you just wanted to punch some characters. Not my favourite genre but a nice change. I won't be in any hurry to read another of Lisa's books but it was a fun book all the same.
Zoe
Oct 27, 2014 Zoe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Amanda
A bit of a tough slog at times. I wanted to like the characters but they did the stupidest things at times that I couldn't completely commit. The end was satisfying though and made it worth the effort. Not sure if I'd read others by this author or not.
Keris
I read Lisa Jewell's second novel, Thirtynothing,when it was released in 2000. It's always stuck in my mind as one of the best chick lit books I've ever read and I've enjoyed all of her subsequent books. So when I found myself in a chick lit slump, I decided it was time to re-read it, to see if it was as good as I remembered...

It was. In fact, I could have written this review with just one word – perfect – but you might have felt a bit shortchanged, so I'll expand.

To read the rest of this revie
Bridget Conroy
I was hoping this book would be a little different than the usual chick lit books. It did change slightly but not enough to be predictable but then again I guess you kind of know this going in so its your own fault for expecting anything different. It is set in England so most of the places they talk about mean nothing to me as I have no concept of where somewhere is in England. Other than that, it was a cute book and really told the story of how the two best friends finally get together. There ...more
Anna Francesca
Here is my tip to authors reading this: do not rely on intoxicating your main characters to further your plot. Lowering inhibitions or painting a picture of alcoholism are valid. Using this device as a crutch is not.

Other than that and some oversimplified secondary characters, the overall story was cute. Despite its predictability, I especially enjoyed the relationship between Dig and Nadine. However, the mostly flat secondary characters and the flaw to which I referred in the first paragraph m
Kathleen Crowell
was hoping for more here as I love British chick lit...
Pauline
Quite enjoyed this and will try more by this author. Funny in parts.
Bee
Ending way to predictable but good
Book
Boorrito
Lisa Jewell has definitely improved as an author over the past decade because I found this one awful and I've enjoyed her more recent books. 150 pages in and all I wanted was Nadine to get hit by a car or something, not giving a crap if she realised that omg she does love her best friend!!!

Also if you want me to give a crap about your male lead having him go on about 'shirt-lifters' is an excellent way of making sure I hate him.
Kabuto
A wonderful book-what could have been a simple plot is turned fantastic by the characters. An excellent use of dual narrative makes both of them seem very real, and flashbacks are incorporated neatly throughout in a very natural way which is hard to find elsewhere. The story is a little odd at times but charming none the less, and it's rare to find a book in this genre which both men and women could potentially enjoy
Wendy
This book was a good read. I didn't enjoy it as much as 'The Truth about Melody Brown' because much of the storyline has the tone of a rant. I had the audiobook edition of this but may well have given up with a paper copy of the book as it was just a little too 'ranty'. Ultimately it does improve before the end but then it ended really quickly. Good read but limited storyline and overall tone too ranty.
Nathan
Old school friends reach 30, but neither can really find happiness in their various relationships. Can it be because they are idiots whose understanding will develop at the speed of plot? Of course it can! Obvious storyline, but fairly engaging characters and writing style. Read this largely on planes and trains, and was very suitable for that. Rated M for language, moderate drug use and moderate sex scenes. 3/5
Rebecca Smith
Witty, humorous, easy to relate to chick-lit, that has had me laughing out loud on the numerous occasions I have returned to it. Jewell tells the story via a male protagonist 'Dig', his relationship with childhood friend Nadine, as it maps their journey from playground to the approaching big 30. Girlies - I defy you not to like it, though I wouldn't mind betting that a man may even secretly enjoy this!
  • Catching Alice
  • Talking to Addison
  • A Girl's Best Friend
  • Just Friends
  • Playing Away
  • A Tale of Two Sisters
  • With or Without You
  • Come Together (Jack & Amy, #1)
  • Fourplay
  • His 'N' Hers
  • Farm Fatale: A Comedy of Country Manors
  • Getting Personal
  • The One You Really Want
  • Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field
Lisa Jewell (born 19th July 1968, Middlesex, London) is a popular British author of chick lit fiction. Her books include Ralph's Party, Thirtynothing and most recently 31 Dream Street. She lives in Swiss Cottage, London with her husband Jascha and daughters Amelie Mae (born 2003) and Evie Scarlett (born 2007).

Lisa's Facebook page:
More about Lisa Jewell...
Ralph's Party The Truth About Melody Browne Vince and Joy The House We Grew Up In One-Hit Wonder