Start by marking “Nothing Comes Close” as Want to Read:
Nothing Comes Close

Nothing Comes Close

Confident, sassy, career girl, Lola meets cool, handsome, unpredictable hunk, Wole at a party in London. He pushes all the right buttons for her, and sparks fly. Wole is also irresistibly drawn to Lola, and before long, they get together in a wonderful romance. But Wole is not all that he seems, and he is holding back some dark secrets.

Things start to unravel when Wole’s p
Paperback, 1, 302 pages
Published October 31st 2012 by Accomplish Press (first published September 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Comes Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Comes Close

Nothing Comes Close by Tolulope PopoolaLove in Paradise by Lara DanielsLove at Dawn by Lara DanielsThe Officer's Bride by Lara DanielsHis Treasure by Kiru Taye
Nigerian Chick-Lit and Romance Books
1st out of 17 books — 31 voters
Things Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichiePurple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieThe Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieAmericanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Books by Nigerian Authors
15th out of 116 books — 87 voters

More lists with this book...

Lara Daniels
May 16, 2013 Lara Daniels rated it really liked it
Nothing Comes Close is the love story of Lola – the most outspoken and independent friend in a group of five girlfriends. The book touches on topics such as romance, loyalty, grief, and tolerance/acceptance of each other among friends who don’t necessarily see eye-to-eye on certain issues, for example, having relationships with a married man; or say, cheating on a boyfriend with an ex boyfriend. The highlight for me, however, was the story of Wole’s past. Wole is the male protagonist in the nove ...more
Dec 20, 2012 Bookshy rated it really liked it
In her group of friends Lola, a Financial Analyst, is sassy and straight to the point, saying what she means (even if it's really blunt) before even thinking. Wole, who she first meets at her friend Titi's birthday party is a Project Manager, who on the surface seems like Mr.Right - good looking, good job, and a gentleman. But something is lurking beneath the surface, and Wole's past could pose a threat not only to his present, but to his and Lola's future.

Nothing Comes Close starts off as your
Brittle  Paper
Mar 08, 2013 Brittle Paper rated it really liked it
Before I began reading, I was worried that Nothing Comes Close would be a generic romance novel about characters with African names. My worries were certainly dispelled as it became apparent that the characters and their lives were crafted by someone who has an eye for and a sense of how African woman think about love and romance.

It is London sometime in the 2000s. Four young women—Lola, Funmi, Temmy, Maureen, and Titi—are caught up in the usual London hustle, doing the career thing and still f
Ndeye Sene
May 05, 2013 Ndeye Sene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nigerian-best
For the full review, visit:

What I liked about this book? And why I loved it:

-FACT#1: I haven’t read a lot of love stories involving African characters that are this…innocent. Let me explain. There is no issue of race, identity or politics in this novel. And I will be forever grateful for that. Those are important issues but I think sometimes we need a break from the hard issues, don’t you?

-FACT#2: I really identify a lot with Lola’s character. I mean her whole l
Dec 28, 2012 Adeola rated it liked it
When drama stalks the man you love, it is important to evaluate what you want...him or a drama-less life. Beautiful, sassy and independent Lola had to make that decision about her relationship with handsome and mysterious Wole in Tolulope Popoola's debut novel, Nothing Comes Close. For a romance novel, the twist and suspense embedded in the pages made it all the more delightful.

Last year, I had the honors of critiquing the manuscript. I was super excited to receive the published book in the mail
Mar 21, 2013 karmaforlifechick rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Nothing Comes Close by Tolulope Popoola in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked this book. Boy meets Girl and they fall in love and live happily ever after, not so easy.

I really had to pay attention to this book. There were many characters, each one dealing with their own life issues which were very relevant to real life and it was written in sections, easy to confuse the characters.

There were many unexpected twists in the plot which I did not see coming and threw me
Mar 20, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Nothing Comes Close is the debut novel by author author Tolulope Popoola, who weaves an intriguing romantic suspense tale about love, life, friendships and relationships. Set in London and Nigeria, and written in an alternating first person narrative, the reader follows the story of Lola and Wole, who meet at a party and embark on a whirlwind romance, only to have Wole's dark past catch up with him, causing their budding relationship to have numerous obstacles that stands in their way of love an ...more
Feb 27, 2013 Pragya rated it it was ok

I have mixed feelings about this book and I will be sharing those.

Nothing Comes Close is said to be in the genre of contemporary romance/ chick-lit, so I picked it up wanting some funny and romantic moments. I don’t think it fit those genres well enough for me personally. I was left wanting for more romance and some chick-lit fun. I found this book to be more dramatic and thriller than romantic or chick-lit. It was more serious than I expected it to be.

Things I liked-

The plot is good en
Mar 02, 2014 Sydelle rated it really liked it
Well written, descriptive and colorful writing from this author about love and it's unpredictable journey. It ended exactly the way I wanted but feared with all the twists and turns that the author would have chosen a different ending. It does pay to follow your heart and believe in what you know is true especially in the misguided attempts of friends and family to protect you. Great job!
Aug 26, 2015 Asgrl rated it it was ok
Mary Okeke
Jan 17, 2013 Mary Okeke rated it really liked it
In order to read my review on this
book, please visit my blog at http://www.maryokekereviews.blogspot....
May 06, 2014 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not to bad...

I do love happy endings and that's just what this book offered. It was simple and somewhat predictable read, but not bad. There were a few aspects that didn't really make sense to me, like what happened to Maureen. It brought nothing of value to the story and if you removed it, the story would move right along without it. The entire circumstances just made no sense, including what Wole did. Wolfe's lockup didn't either, you can't just lock people up without evidence...that should no
Oct 15, 2016 Cesca rated it it was amazing
The fact the action is always renewed in this book took my attention. I swear what happened to the girl who have been poisoned make me so sad that I spend and entire day to mourn with them. Just to say how the writer make you felt like you were in the novel to. She push you into. After the end of this book, i felt like a mess didn't know what to do with my self because i wanted more more more love stories and that's how i hear taking all good mark of books here .
Gift marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Koladefunmi marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Amuwa-Adeniji Elizabeth
Amuwa-Adeniji Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Amaka Azie
Amaka Azie rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Asenike marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Evans marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Sadiq marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Fatima marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Urenna marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Barbii is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2016
Paigegirl marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Arthi marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Keshy Moore
Keshy Moore marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Dionne marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Larabukky marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
  • A Life More Complete
  • If I Could Tell You
  • Stacy's Story
  • Life Was Cool Until You Got Popular
  • Delicious (A Rumour Mill Novel, #1)
  • Violet Chains (The Redvein #0.5)
  • Untamed Journey
  • Lifestyle: A Tale of Upscale Suburbia and a Girl
  • Twisted Ties
  • Glimpse (The Dean Curse Chronicles, #1)
  • The Devil Stopped By
  • Love in the Falls: Sam & Camden (New Beginnings, #3)
  • The Roommate
  • Love Birds: Beyond Death
  • Faulkner's Apprentice
  • Feels Like the First Time
  • Finding Refuge
  • Love By Design
I'm a writer, blogger and lover of books and all things literature. I used to be an Accountant, until I rediscovered my love for writing in 2006 and became a full-time writer in 2008. I'm the creator and one of the writers for the fiction series and book, In My Dreams It Was Simpler.

My novel, "Nothing Comes Close" is a spin-off from the series and has just been published by Accomplish Press. I al
More about Tolulope Popoola...