Start by marking “Soft Come the Dragons” as Want to Read:
Soft Come the Dragons

Soft Come the Dragons

Dean Koontz is in league with the future.

Follow him as he leads you down the gnarled paths of night descending into the ever-present and terror-filled tomorrow. Come trod the byways to hell and to hope when you journey with:

Mutilated, mutant by-products of America's "Artificial Wombs" created by attempts at producing human weapons . . .

An American team of doctors sent to C
Mass Market Paperback, 143 pages
Published 1970 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Soft Come the Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soft Come the Dragons

Craig
Jun 09, 2008 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Ace double is arguably the best of Koontz's early work, when he was a genre science fiction writer completely unknown outside of the field. DARK OF THE WOODS is a fine novel represenative of its time, a thoughtful exploration and good adventure story. SOFT COME THE DRAGONS collects Koontz's best early short fiction, some of which presages his later incredible success.
Johnny
Nov 19, 2010 Johnny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Robert Beveridge
Dean R. Koontz, Soft Come the Dragons (Ace, 1970)
[originally posted 17Sep2001]

The other side of the Ace Double that included Dark of the Woods is a small collection of short stories, probably most notable for containing the short story "A Darkness in My Soul," which later became one of Koontz' finest early novels. The story itself is rather disjointed, but I say that having read the novel more than enough times to have all the rest of what's in it deeply ingrained, and I miss the other stuff.

The
Nicholas Beck
Oct 19, 2011 Nicholas Beck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz
The collection of stories in the "Soft Come the Dragons" half of this book were interesting. Some were very well written and I was riveted throughout, including the story by the same title. Also, it was easy to see some of the themes and situations as building blocks for other books written by Koontz. One of my favorite stories was "To Behold the Sun" in which a journey is taken to the sun, which is incredibly intriguing, especially with the ending.

"Dark of the Woods", while I liked a lot, I cou
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al added it
Dean Koontz is in league with the future.

An American team of doctors sent to China to combat the runaway ultimate in biological warfare . . .

The genetically mutated daughter of LSD users, hiding her powe
Alice Anne
Mar 14, 2009 Alice Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Jeffrey Hunter
Apr 18, 2014 Jeffrey Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soft Comes the Dragon is interesting. It show Koontz in the beginning, writing science fiction short stories he sold to various magazines, many of which printed Asimov and Pohl. You can see the coming writer emerge through the stories. I consider most of Koontz's current stories works of science fiction and fantasy, but not purely so. He has managed to merge drama, thriller, and human interest stories into the science fiction to create thoroughly modern, entertainment without being stuck in a ne ...more
Francelia Belton
Nov 12, 2013 Francelia Belton rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book as much I thought I would have. I'm a big Koontz fan and I enjoyed his other collection, Strange Highways. But his early work was not what I expected. In fact, I hated it. I can say, for me at least, he has come a long way.
John
Dark Of The Woods, grade A-
Josh
Jul 14, 2012 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
Great stories... dark of the woods was a very good ministory, a glimpse of the Koontz to come
Nicole
Oct 08, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So 70s I could die.
Ralph Carlson
Dec 02, 2016 Ralph Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SOFT COME THE DRAGONS is a nice little collection of early short SF stories. All competent and entertaining.
Matt Kelland
Jan 05, 2013 Matt Kelland rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I've always thought of Koontz as a horror writer. This collection of sci-fi shorts was fun, imaginative, and unexpected.
Flex Dolphynn
Sep 16, 2011 Flex Dolphynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark of the Woods is my top book of all time.
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Nur-E Zannat
Nur-E Zannat rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Toopertrooper
Toopertrooper rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Corinna Bellizzi
Corinna Bellizzi rated it liked it
May 25, 2013
Courtney Cantrell
Courtney Cantrell rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Rodney Wagner
Rodney Wagner rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Tim Hayes
Tim Hayes rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Empress Rosita
Empress Rosita rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Stephanie Meyers
Stephanie Meyers rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2013
David Maccallum
David Maccallum rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Teodor Sebastian
Teodor Sebastian rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Orkney Dean
Orkney Dean rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2013
Danjal
Danjal rated it really liked it
May 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • StarBlood
  • Dance with the Devil
  • Surrounded (Tucker Series, Book 2)
  • Invasion
  • Dragonfly
Librarian's Note: This author writes under the name Dean R. Koontz and Dean Koontz. As both names appear on his works, both should be kept.

Acknowledged as "America's most popular suspense novelist" (Rolling Stone) and as one of today's most celebrated and successful writers, Dean Ray Koontz has earned the devotion of millions of readers around the world and the praise of critics everywhere for tal
More about Dean R. Koontz...