The Disassociation of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya #9)

The Disassociation of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya #9)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  17 reviews
As the second year of high school begins, Haruhi's cynical and sarcastic confidant Kyon, the only "normal" member of the SOS Brigade, finds himself meeting Sasaki, an old friend from his days in junior high. Haruhi and Sasaki's shared friendship with Kyon and, possibly, shared abilities, causes tension between the two and Kyon knows Haurhi's dissatisfaction can have dire c...more
Published June 18th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Disassociation of Haruhi Suzumiya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disassociation of Haruhi Suzumiya

Sean O'Hara
For those of you who can't read Japanese, this is the Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya -- for some reason Goodreads won't allow English (or even Latin-alphabet) titles for foreign language books that haven't officially been translated into English (which in this case won't be until 2013, though you can find an unofficial translation with a little googling). This is the ninth book of the series and the first part of a trilogy. Knowing this, I've been holding off on this one until the next two book...more
Jacy
I cannot wait to read the last book in the Haruhi Suzumiya series!
Raistlin
Este novena novela de la saga consigue recuperar de nuevo el interés en la historia, que al menos para mi estaba decayendo alarmantemente en las últimas entregas.

La aparición de "los enemigos" es bastante interesante, y admeás Tanigawa plantea algún recurso narrativo interesante como desdoblar en dos tramas paralelas los acontecimientos. Por lo demás, los mismos personajes de siempre con sus mismas manías, para bien o para mal...

Se agradecería algo de evolución, ya que hay ciertos tics que cans...more
Avril Anderson
I really luv the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise~! I watched the whole anime, movie, and read a little of the manga. When, I was searching through random books in the library I cam across this book. I immediately checked it out since it's a Haruhi Suzumiya book. When I read it, I realized that I never recognized this type of story, Yes, I know that this is the ninth book of the light novel series, and I didn't get the chance to read the rest of them. This book is sort off a continuation to the Haruhi...more
Paul
The Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya is the ninth book in the Haruhi Suzumiya series of novels by Nagaru Tanigawa. If you've been reading along the whole time, it's a nice visit with favorite characters. If you haven't, I suspect that you will find yourself completely lost.

This novel suffers a bit for being the first installment of a longer story - not a lot really happens, aside from the introduction of some significant new characters. And there's one heck of a cliffhanger ending. When The Supri...more
James
The ninth instalment of the Haruhi Suzumiya series continues the adventures of Kyon and the other members of the SOS Brigade in a story in which a chance meeting causes two wildly different timelines to emerge, the events of which could hold severe ramifications for the story. The slight differences in the timelines do make differentiating them somewhat difficult at first; but by the novel's end, the differences are clear.

This is another fine outing in the series and Nagaru Tanigawa continues to...more
Kaitlin
The Disassociation... is a great entry in the light novel universe of Haruhi Suzumiya. It has long been hinted that there are other organizations that oppose the ones Yuki, Itsuki, and Mikuru belong to and we are finally introduced to representatives of those rival organizations in this book. Even better, we meet an old friend of Kyon's that poses a threat to Haruhi directly.

I quite enjoyed the split of the story into alpha and beta timelines and I'm really looking forward to how it will all con...more
saffybonbon
Interesting start to this next section of the story, with a cliffhanger ending.
The alpha and beta timelines can be a little confusing at first due to their similarity, but their differences are clear once you reach the end.
an enjoyable entry to the series, I look forward to reading the next book.
Ashley Will
Fun book with a cliff hanger ending
Nicole
It was okay, but not one of the best books. Something about the translation of Kyon's internal monologue still really annoys me - probably how the translator kept putting in things like "I said" or "I told him" or something when they weren't present in any of the books before the last one.

Also the two switching timelines(?) confused me a bit, but hopefully it will be cleared up in the next book since this is a two part book??
Eddie
favorite book so far, loved the new aspect to the story the introduction of new characters created. Intrigued to see what happens next.
Lucas Suárez
Se acerca el final (in)esperado que queremos oír, el nuevo conflicto contra la brigada está por comenzar
Michael
FINALLY, some major plot developme... To be continued??? $#&%!
Niquie
Alexa
Alexa added it
Aug 17, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Mage
Mage marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Sadman
Sadman added it
Jul 20, 2014
  • Spice & Wolf, Book 3
  • Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime
  • Gosick: The Novel (Gosick, #1)
  • The Mask of Destiny (Billionaire, #3)
  • Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
  • Boogiepop And Others
  • 黒雪姫の帰還 / Return of Princess Snow Black (Accel World, #1)
  • Toradora! Vol. 3
  • Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness
  • The Kindling
  • Fighting Boy Meets Girl (Full Metal Panic! #1)
  • Zaregoto 1: Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle
Nagaru Tanigawa (谷川 流 Tanigawa Nagaru)

Nagaru Tanigawa is a graduate of the Kwansei Gakuin University School of Law. In 2003, he won Kadokawa's Grand Prize for Literary World for his work on the Haruhi Suzumiya series.
More about Nagaru Tanigawa...
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #1) The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #4) The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #3) 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #2)