Start by marking “Hidden Order (Scot Harvath, #12)” as Want to Read:
Hidden Order (Scot Harvath, #12)

Hidden Order (Scot Harvath #12)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  6,260 ratings  ·  570 reviews
High-profile kidnap victims in Washington, D.C. start turning up dead. When the ransom demand is made public, panic turns to terror. Scot Harvath standalone from series. Settings travel to Somalia, Boston, South America with history from the Federal Reserve and Colonial America. The problems reflect present USA - Evil prevails when good men do nothing.
Published July 9th 2013 by Atria/Emily Bestler (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Order

Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesInferno by Dan BrownAnd the Mountains Echoed by Khaled HosseiniThe Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
2013 NY Times Best-Sellers - Fiction
77th out of 150 books — 579 voters
The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson1984 by George OrwellThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
Conspiracy Fiction
165th out of 1,319 books — 834 voters

More lists with this book...

Krycek
I was in the mood recently for something sort of Jack Bauer-ish/Jason Bourne-esque (or is it "Jack Bauer-esque/Jason Bourne-ish?"), some kind of military/espionage/thriller deal, along that vein. I was vaguely aware of Brad Thor and his Scot Harvath series, but never had a real interest to check it out, mainly because I generally think that Brad Thor is full of shit. Nevertheless, Hidden Order, latest in the series, was at eye-level at my local library, so I picked it up on a whim. And who knows ...more
Liz
To start off, I must issue the disclaimer that halfway through this book I saw brad Thor in an interview in Chicago where he offered to buy George Zimmerman a gun. I have read all of Brad Thor 's books and consider myself a fan. However, I was greatly disturbed by his comments. While I don't think he is a racist, his propensity and endorsement of firearms was disturbing. I guess considering the genre that he writes I shouldn't be surprised although it is fiction. As a Canadian who lives in a cou ...more
Eric
Jan 30, 2014 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Scot Harvath
I bumped this up my reading list after reading the prequel short story, Free Fall, which was action-packed and left off on a cliffhanger, and was then a bit disappointed reading this, as that story was more exhilarating than this novel.

This novel -- after wrapping up the cliffhanger of the prelude short story, which had nothing to do with novel's the main plot -- centered on Fed conspiracies, CIA black projects, a Dan Brown-like historical tour of Boston, and a killer eerily reminiscent of Dexte
Tara
Jul 22, 2013 Tara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Ugh. Do men really think women talk like this? Does the middle finger equal clever repartee? This book featured two storylines that you know are going to merge, but you wait and wait and finally they collide and it's like a car accident...you can't help but look at the horrible mess as you drive by but you think "I'm so glad I'm not responsible for THAT." The way it wraps up is beyond ridiculous. I did learn some interesting stuff about the Federal Reserve, so that's why it gets 1 star.
Bonnie-ann
I read a lot of thriller/espionage fiction. When asked who my favorite author is, my response is always "Brad Thor." I then recommend that friends read the Scot Harvath series in order so as to not miss a moment. It was therefore very exciting to wake up to my email on Tuesday morning and see that my Audible pre-order of "Hidden Order" was ready for download. I had spent the weekend re-reading "Black List" to refresh the chronology of characters in my mind.

Turns out that I didn't need to refresh
Douglas
I don't believe i reveal any "spoilers", anyway. Reading it was the equivalent of watching "National Treasure" with Nicholas Cage, except without the poor acting skills of Cage and disappointment of "studio cost cutting". It had the attention grabbing of any action film with the good/bad "Dexter" character cop hidden within but not clarified as such. Over all the book made you wonder if you even remotely received a poorly saturated history class as compared to the main characters interest and co ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Not your typical Brad Thor/Scot Harvath book. We follow Scot's story. Having entered the "private sector" he's now involved in a (another) plot against the American people.

While there is plenty of action here it's not as central to the story as action is in some of the books. This is more of an investigative read up until the last quarter or so when the climax brings about a series of violent confrontations.

I liked the book, I found some of the historical conversations involving. If your not awa
Absynthe
Woah... what just happened? Brad Thor is pretty good about plot holes. He usually doesn't have any big ones. This book has a gaping one.

Ummm... so all these people on this super secret list are kidnapped and start showing up dead. I'm not really spilling the beans, it happens in the first 20 pages or so. And Scot gets hired to find these kidnapped people. And he never, ever asks who had access to the list? He runs this entire investigation without once trying to figure out who could have seen th
Tim
Scot Harvath is one of my favorite characters, except when he does not get to do what he does best, which is put down bad guys. He left the Secret Service because he didn't want to play defense. This story is about chasing vicious murders after they occur instead of preventing them. There is little redeeming value here unlike most of Brad Thor's novels. Easily my least favorite Horvath read to date. 2 of 10 stars
Joe
Oct 22, 2013 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brad Thor fans and Vince Flynn fans
Shelves: thriller
Right up front I want to admit, I am a big fan of Brad Thor, so I enjoy most everything he writes. This time out, it was a pleasant change to not read about "terrorists", at least from the Middle East because "HIDDEN ORDER" was all about "Terrorists" of another kind, a shadow group of Americans, working within the US Government to bring down the financial world as we know it. Conspiracy theorists will love this read, because it will drive you to the research books, trying to find out, if what th ...more
Shelley Lee Riley
“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it’s more true that power attracts the corruptible.” – David Brin

Power beyond measure? That is without a doubt the most terrifying of thoughts. Why is it that so often the intentions of a few, which start out cloaked in good, and espoused to benefit the many, turn out when the layers are peeled back, to reveal exactly the opposite?

With all the scandals currently fouling the already poisonous atmosphere of our Nation’s Capital, I get where Mr. Thor w
Rick Fisher
It's hard to believe this series can get any better. But, that is exactly what happened.
This is the best of the series. I have loved each and every one of the Scot Harvath novels, but this one soars above them all.

Jim
Not his best. Way too much historical detail about the federal reserve, blah, blah, blah.
Andrea Olson
It just didn't hold my attention at all.
It was mediocre writing, and maybe the worst character cast I've ever suffered through. I know commercial fiction is lacking in this department sometimes, but come on!! I finished the book a few hours ago and I've already forgotten the names of every important character. I'll settle for Mr.Buff and Ms. Sexy Sleuth with Evil Henchman (ski mask variety) and Evil Henchman (who's holding an explosive crate).
The story slogged along, I was hoping whatever dirty
Tucker Elliot
I’ve been a fan of this series for a long time but HIDDEN ORDER isn’t your typical Scot Harvath thriller – so if you’re expecting a tense race against the clock to thwart a large scale terror attack or if you’d like to see Harvath hunt down and punish bad guys looking to do us harm, then this one is a bit of a curveball and might not be as satisfying as previous Brad Thor books. There’s obviously no pleasing everyone – if it was your typical Harvath storyline then there’d be those criticizing it ...more
Jay
How do I begin. Well I guess I will begin by saying that 75% of the way in this book I was majorly disappointed. I was thinking to myself that this was more of a history book than a thriller. I love history, don't get me wrong. But when I buy a thriller, I expect to be thrilled. So I wasn't too enthused most of the book. But the last 5-6 chapters made up for it. They made up for the rest of the book.

This book was different from Brad Thor's last three books in that it's a completely stand alone s
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Mystery, Thriller
*Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

Scot Harvath is back in action and this time the main focus is on the Federal Reserve, which I have to tell you, was very, very interesting to read about and makes me wonder why other people don't chirp in for more awareness of what this non branch of government actually does with OUR money. You could say that Thor once again rips his story from the headlines and tosses his character into the middle of it.

Whenever I read one of these books, I a
Ned Frederick
Thor improves his skills as a writer with each new installment of the Scot Harvath series. With Hidden Order he created a mystery cum procedural sub-plot that allowed the reader to forget that Harvath is getting a bit long in the tooth now for his usual high octane action driven plots. Instead the spotlight was more on his intellect, and his deductive powers. Add in a Dan-Brownesque conspiracy involving the Fed, and you keep expecting a mumbling Nicholas Cage to come to the rescue. Instead we ar ...more
Skip
Scot Harvath and his boss, Reed Carlton, are hired by the Federal Reserve when all five members of the short list of candidates for the top job are kidnapped in one evening. Harvath is sent to Boston when the second turns up dead, and the killings seem to be seeped in the Sons of Liberty. Scot joins forces with Boston detective Lara Cordero, but seem to be one step behind. Meanwhile, a CIA operative is approached by a Jordanian spy asking about a disbanded "dark op" group, which is destabilizing ...more
Richard Epstein
Mr Thor (no, really, and as far as I know, he has nothing to do with the Marvel guy wielding Maxwell's silver hammer) is a truly dreadful novelist, combining wish-fulfillment violence, John Birch-era conspiracy theory, and remarkable ignorance. His explication of "Hegelian dialectic" is like something from a freshman who failed to read the assignment, but did watch an episode of "Scandal."

If there were a rating below one-star, I'd have chosen it.
Larry
Disappointing… I was looking forward to kick-butt Scott Harvath action book. I got a detective story.

I had high expectations after the first couple of chapters. The Federal Reserve, the Arab Spring… I was thinking that this was going to be a heck of an action plot. Nope. I just got some characters from prior books and Revolutionary War history in Boston. The detective story was OK – but just OK.
Jill
Jul 30, 2013 Jill rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scot harvath series, brad thor, political th
I thought this book was just okay. I think I might be losing interest in this series. It was pretty easy to read and follow and everything. But I thing for me its losing its originality and appeal which was one of the reason why I had enjoyed this series so much.
Cathy
Sep 14, 2013 Cathy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This is definitely not the best book in the series. I never quite got into the flow. There were too many characters that were not developed as thoroughly as I would have liked. This is unusual as I generally love this author.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

A Jordanian Spy master approaches a CIA operative whom is coming back to the States in an airport. There is information of a terrorist plot regarding America, but he wants to trade information; Why is the U.S, government sponsoring the Arab Spring? And is the kingdom of Jordan next? He has pictures of deep Black Ops meeting with the Muslim Brotherhood in Jordan and every Arab country that fell during that time of destabilization and chaos. Lidia Ryan is stunned and takes it to her boss.
Michelle
I feel deceived. So iBooks offered me a free copy of a prequel/short story leading into Hidden Order, and that was the hook. Next thing I know, I'm downloading this. Because the prequel/short story was pretty decent, and I wanted to see where this Scot Harvath was going to take me.

And I didn't really care for where I ended up.

Want to know why...besides the aforementioned bait and switch?

1. So there are these horrific killing scenes set up to mimic American Revolutionary history...all set in Bost
Randy

#1 New York Times bestselling author Brad Thor returns with his hottest and most action-packed thriller yet! And don’t miss FREE FALL: A Prelude to Hidden Order, available for free download now!

The most secretive organization in America operates without any accountability to the American people. Hiding in the shadows, pretending to be part of the United States government, its power is beyond measure.

Control of this organization has just been lost and the future of the nation thrust into per

Chris Kostenko
Sometimes reading a book that's missing something helps you to identify what you love and hate in a good read.

I really like thrillers, but I miss it when the author doesn't take the time to philosophize, give his character a chance to reflect on what's going on, and generally notice life through an unusual lens. I want to connect to the way the character thinks.

I hate it when the author thinks his readers are stupid. Take, for example, the character Carlton, aka the old man. He is supposed to be
Kw
I had a hard time keeping up with all the characters, but this was quite informative and a bit scary with regards to the Federal Reserve and its power. I had no idea they were private citizens masquerading as a government agency; the whole concept seems absurd. How did this happen?
As for the story, it might have been condensed to make it flow more easily. Some hackneyed phrases bothered me, but I loved the ending of the ending!
Pamela Small
This much anticipated novel is such a disappointment! The protagonist, Scott Harvath, is a shadow of his former self. The characters, including Harvath, are dull and flat. There are two story lines that seem intriguing at first, and the reader KNOWS they will somehow converge, but there is no foreshadowing or red herrings at all to keep the reader INTERESTED in how they will converge. It is not until the end of the book that the two story lines meet, and by then- who cares? Mr. Thor failed to bu ...more
Fredrick Danysh
An exciting political thriller about the American Federal Reserve. When the head of the Federal Reserve dies, the five leading candidates to replace him are kidnapped. After the first one is murdered and mutilated with a cryptic message, Scot Harvath's company is called in while at the CIA intelligence is being ignored and an agent targeted.
(SPOILER) Toy airplane 2 27 Jul 19, 2014 09:20PM
  • Jordan's Brains: A Zombie Evolution
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • Doomsday Diaries
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • Flesh Code: Vol. I
  • One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • The Last Man (Mitch Rapp, #13)
  • The Night Ranger (John Wells, #7)
  • National Security (Jericho Quinn, #1)
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • Hostage Zero (Jonathan Grave, #2)
  • Warriors (Alexander Hawke, #8)
Over the last year, fans have joined me in reading or re-reading one of my thrillers each month as part of The Ultimate Reader Experience. By popular demand, this March, we are kicking off The Ultimate Book Club Experience.

It’s no surprise that so many of you are part of book clubs. They provide a great escape and a chance to get together with friends to talk about great books, as well as the even
More about Brad Thor...

Scot Harvath (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath, #1)
  • Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2)
  • State of the Union (Scot Harvath, #3)
  • Blowback (Scot Harvath, #4)
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)
  • The Apostle (Scot Harvath, #8)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • The Athena Project (Athena, #1)
The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath, #1) State of the Union (Scot Harvath, #3) The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6) Full Black (Scot Harvath, #10) Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)

“Things do not happen. Things are made to happen.” —JOHN F. KENNEDY” 3 likes
“If you steadfastly refused to quit, you rapidly narrowed your options to only winning.” 1 likes