Start by marking “With All My Love” as Want to Read:
With All My Love

With All My Love

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  474 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
A heartwarming novel about a shocking discovery that forever changes the lives of three generations of women.

When Briony McAllister takes a trip to visit her mother, Valerie, she uncovers a letter from her long-lost grandmother, bringing to light a nearly unforgivable act her mother has kept secret for decades. Having always believed that her grandparents didn’t want to se
Published July 30th 2013 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about With All My Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With All My Love

Fiona
Mar 26, 2013 Fiona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Briony and her young daughter Katie are helping her mother Valerie settle into her new home in Spain. Valerie has moved there to try and find peace in her ageing years after suffering much heartache as a young woman. While sorting through things Briony uncovers an old photo album and a letter falls out addressed to her, it is from her paternal grandmother Tessa begging her to get in touch when she is an adult. She has fond memories of her grandmother and is devastated to discover Valerie has den ...more
Dale Harcombe
Two and a half stars. This was my first Patricia Scanlan novel and sad to say I didn’t like it much as I expected I would. I expected to love it given the theme. Maybe I expected too much? My problem with it stemmed largely with the attitudes and behaviour of the characters. I could have willingly have got hold of the main characters, Valerie and Tessa, and knocked their heads together. I found them selfish and manipulative. The author gives reasons for why they behave as they do, but while I ac ...more
Ruth
Jan 25, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
I had never heard of Patricia Scanlan until a wonderful friend, Anita that I met on Goodreads told me about her. Our library system had only two of her books but Anita had found two more and shared them with me. I am grateful! I have enjoyed her stories so much. She has obviously become much more popular in the US as I was able to purchase this book in BJ's Warehouse! It was a trade paperback.

In this novel, a young mother, Briony finds a letter from her grandmother which says that now that she i
Andrea Guy
This is a book that is hard to love, not because the book is bad, but because the characters are so downright human. These are real people and real problems, and 80% of the characters are unlikable, including the main characters. Oh and if you think Briony is one of them, she really isn't. She really feels more like a catalyst to get the story moving.

With All My Love is Valerie and Jeff's story for the most part. Even after Briony finds the letter from her Grandma, the story isn't told to her, t
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The 18th novel by best selling women's fiction author Patricia Scanlan, With All My Love is a moving story of betrayal and forgiveness as three generations of women attempt to repair their shattered bonds.

Though the memories are hazy, Briony recalls the loving care and attention her grandmother, Tessa Egan, lavished upon her as a small child and how desperately hurt she was when her mother, Valerie, told four year old Briony that Gramma didn't want to see her anymore. Thirty years later, while h
Grace J
Aug 19, 2014 Grace J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed Patricia Scanlan's writing and this novel was no exception. A contemporary read with plenty of heartbreak and love along with flawed characters. Most enjoyable from the first page to the last, I have already recommended this read to friends who I know will love it every bit as much as I did. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Trish at Between My Lines
Mar 07, 2015 Trish at Between My Lines rated it it was amazing
Emotional, wise and uplifting. I love Patricia Scanlan!
Catriona Cummins
This book was brilliant, I love Patricia Scanlan's books, she's my favourite author! I couldn't put this book down, loved the story of the problems between a young mother & her overbearing mother in law! Ironically my mother in law bought me this book for my birthday hahaha! I must give her a lend of it :-)
Ciska
Jun 30, 2013 Ciska rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book on Netgalley from the publisher in return for an honest review*

Author
Patricia Scanlan was born in Dublin, where she still lives. While working as a librarian she started to write, and now has a full-time career as a bestselling author.

Review
I felt like hitting the main characters of this book. Both Valerie and Tessa deserved it in my eye even though it would not have helped. If you cannot find a place to talk after a person you love dies it is sad
Kimberly
Sep 02, 2013 Kimberly rated it liked it
I won this book through First Reads.

I give this book 3 stars because I would not put it into the classic category (5 stars) and I think the author could have produced a better ending. She is a talented writer with a great talent for telling a story.

This book has all the makings of a Hallmark or Lifetime movie. A conflict between a young woman, Valerie, and her daughter's paternal grandmother, Tessa, result in Valerie keeping her daughter from her grandmother. Valerie raises Briony to believe he
Sue1958

Let me start off saying that I love this authors books. But just because an author now is a best seller and has a huge following, doesn't mean that all their books are gonna be GREAT and this is sadly one of them. It frustrated the hell out of me that the characters didn't talk! I know things can happen, I an aware that emotions get in the way when someone dies, but this was one blown out of proportion topic that I found hard to believe even though its fiction.

I really find it hard saying this a
Gemma
Jun 02, 2014 Gemma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I give this book a 2.5. It's a story about a difficult relationship between a Mother and Daughter in Law.

I liked the idea for the story, however felt it a little too long winded in places. The author also liked to make conversations a little to literal, they didn't really flow.

The author does a good job of telling two sides to the story, so you do become involved in the story.

Particularly liked the character, Lorcan. I did not like the epilogue and wish id have finished elf re that point. Ove
Best Crime Books & More
Nov 03, 2015 Best Crime Books & More rated it it was amazing
Briony McAllistair spends the day with her four year old daughter Katie in Southern Spain. She is on a visit to her mother Valerie, who has recently brought herself a place there. As Katie plays, Briony pulls out an old photo album that contains a letter that will change everything for her. The letter begins My Darling Briony. After many years, Briony discovers that her beloved Grandmother Tessa is alive and well, and has spent many years harbouring after contact with her first born Granddaughte ...more
Clare O'Beara
Dec 06, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish
This tale is an okay read, if you want a relaxing book that doesn't challenge you in any way.
Except perhaps to keep track of the many mothers, daughters, grandmothers and granddaughters. Leave it down and go to work, and come back and you'll be mixing up the first names that are largely used. A paragraph can refer to one woman as a mother, a daughter and a grandmother in one go, so when someone thinks about her mother we have to do an inventory.

Mainly the book tells of a girl who becomes pregnan
Jill Doyle
Mar 18, 2014 Jill Doyle rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
On a crystal clear Mediterranean day, Briony McAllister sits playing with her four-year-old daughter, Katie, while she waits for her mother, Valerie, to join them. Valerie has recently moved to a picturesque town in southern Spain to finally leave behind her turbulent past and find a peace that has always eluded her. Briony has no idea that in a few moments' time her relationship with her mother will change irrevocably.

As Katie plays, Briony pulls from her bag an old photo album, found in a box
Lindsey
Aug 17, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it
This was a 3.5 for me, but it was so beautifully written I'm rounding up this time. There is definitely a lesson to be learned in this novel, and a good one at that. I just wish the road to understanding hadn't been so utterly heartbreaking! I very much enjoyed the ending, and most especially the epilogue. It softens some of the devastating blows my poor heart received during reading!
Rebecca
This book was WAY too wordy, every character had the same conversation with every other character and everything was mentioned repeatedly - the amount of times Valerie was upset that Briony was taking Katie away from her the way she had taken Briony away from Tessa was mentioned was off the scale. Really prefer Patricia Scanlan's older books and would recommend them over this one.
Michael Cayley
May 07, 2014 Michael Cayley rated it it was ok
This novel about family frictions and quarrels and emotional guilt in Ireland never really gripped me. The plot seemed contrived, and I felt the book needed substantial editing and shortening. Everything was spelt out at what was, for me, much too great a length. I persevered with the novel, but it was an effort of will-power.
Notty
Sep 14, 2013 Notty rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Just didn't get into this book.......it seemed to go on and on and on.........I finally shelved it at page 201:(
Kammie
Jul 14, 2015 Kammie rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A wonderful story that pulls you in from the first page to the last word. Loved every minute.
Angelspearl
It took me quite a while to finished this book, Although I must admit it was such a nicely written story that I would recommend to mums and daughters. It shows what happens when we don't share certain aspects of our lives.
This is a touching family drama that is guaranteed to pull on your heart strings. It has everything you could want from a great story: lies, guilt, betrayal and family secrets. The story revolves around three generations of women and as the plot unfolds, their relationships are
Lisa
Jan 04, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Some quotes that resonated with me...

The path of vengeance would only take its toll on all of them.

It really is time to let go of the old hurts and sorrows. You don’t need them anymore. They’re only holding you back. It’s toxic energy, get rid of it.

…the past has to be healed so that you can be free to live your lives the way you want to live them.

Lorcan to Tessa: Nevertheless, if you want to keep them in our lives, forget the past and start again with them, remember blood is thicker than water.
Sarah Peterson
Feb 08, 2014 Sarah Peterson rated it liked it
I won this book from a GoodReads First Reads Giveaway.

This isn't typically the type of book I'm into. I'm just not into the heartwarming women power through the generations type of reads. I have nothing against them, they're just not my thing, so I really can't judge as to whether or not this is "standard" of the genre.

I liked it well enough. The characters were well written and I was caught up in their story. I wish that maybe it would have moved a little faster and perhaps some of the charac
Tara Russell
Aug 30, 2014 Tara Russell rated it liked it
Too long, simplistic in places, went round on itself a bit, but very readable, and some very realistic dialogue and scenes! I've seen many reviews about how awful the two main characters are, and how much readers want to bang their heads together to sort their differences - fair enough comment but that's the part of the book that's good, the depictions of how emotion can overrule all sense, manner and dictates of acceptable familial interactions. Not great literature, and could do with being 100 ...more
Tracy Grant
Nov 03, 2013 Tracy Grant rated it liked it
A nice story but a bit drawn out for me.
Dorine
Rated 3.5 out of 5. Also posted at TBR Mountain Range with more Irish story reviews.

An Irish family torn by a terrible tragedy spends years grieving their loss and the anger that tore them apart. Will time heal all and bring them to forgiveness?

Briony McAllister and her four-year-old daughter visit her mother in Spain at her new vacation villa. While looking at some old photos of family, a letter falls out and shocks Briony with its contents. How could her mother have lied to her all of her lif
Melissa
Apr 30, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
*GOODREADS FIRST READ* I would like to thank Simon and Shuster Canada for selecting me as one of the winners of the giveaway for Patricia Scanlan's book With All My Love.

After the death of her boyfriend Jeff, Valarie takes their daughter away from their small town and her father's family. Telling her daughter Briony that her grandparents didn't want to see her anymore. Years later when grown with a child of her own, Briony comes across a letter from her paternal grandmother and uncovers her moth
Wanda
Aug 18, 2013 Wanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway, first-reads
I received a copy of With All My Love: A Novel via Goodreads Firstreads giveaway. I appreciated the opportunity and provide my unbiased review. I have never read any of Patricia Scanlan's previous novels and will start by saying I am now a new fan. With All My Love is a love story, it is a family drama and it is the consequence of what happens when secrets are kept across generations only to be discovered. Lives become unsettled when the past returns and loving relationships are tested and strai ...more
Christine
Aug 27, 2013 Christine rated it liked it
With All My Love tells the story of Briony who is on vacation visiting her mother. Briony discovers a letter from her grandmother that her mother had hidden from her years ago. Briony had always been under the impression that her grandmother wanted nothing to do with her. This book explores the outcome of the discovery of the letter, and the events that led up to the writing of it.

My Thoughts:

The story was interesting enough, and I liked the flashbacks so that the reader could understand the act
Tien
Mar 12, 2013 Tien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spain, ireland, arc, womens-lit

I read over 200+ books in a year and I’m in my early thirties so really by now, I should know that when someone told me that it’s a heart-warming novel that it will be a gut-wrenching, tear-ducts-squeezing, and heart-lightening sort of tale. I wasn’t feeling the best this week and mid-reading, I was questioning myself why I’m reading a book that tightened the feelings in my heart but of course, in the end, it works wonders as a balm to my blue week.

An old letter, forgotten and shoved away, fell
WITH ALL MY LOVE REVIEW 3 14 Jun 04, 2014 02:42AM
  • The Clippie Girls
  • The Insistent Garden
  • Lies Agreed Upon
  • The Precipice
  • The Nightingale Sisters (Nightingales #2)
  • The Secret Ingredient
More about Patricia Scanlan...