Start by marking “Days of God: The Revolution in Iran and Its Consequences” as Want to Read:
Days of God: The Revolution in Iran and Its Consequences

Days of God: The Revolution in Iran and Its Consequences

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A myth-busting insider’s account of the Iranian Revolution of 1979 that destroyed US influence in the country and transformed the politics of the Middle East and the world.

The 1979 Islamic revolution in Iran was one of the seminal events of our time. It inaugurated more than thirty years of war in the Middle East and fostered an Islamic radicalism that shapes foreign poli
Published October 15th 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Days of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days of God

Jerome
Jun 03, 2014 Jerome rated it it was amazing
A great history of the Iranian revolution. Mostly as Americans we tend to focus on the hostage crisis rather than the revolution that produced it.

Buchan’s book is a straightforward, balanced and well-written. He does a great job describing all aspects of the Revolution: origins, factionalism, leadership, legacy, etc. Khomeini hated the shah’s regime because it Westernized society, not because it was an oppressive regime, although many students considered it one.

Buchan gives us good portraits of
Michael Nash
Nov 21, 2013 Michael Nash rated it really liked it
An imminently readable narrative account of the 1979 Iranian Revolution, which was exactly what I wanted when I got this book. I don't know enough about Iranian history to judge the accuracy, but Buchan's seems obviously more sympathetic to the Shah than I'm used to seeing (surely much more sympathetic than the film Argo), but given what happened in Iran it's difficult not to look at the Shah's reign as the glory days. I have some issues with the style; Buchan seems to be trying to have things b ...more
Daniel Simmons
Apr 21, 2014 Daniel Simmons rated it really liked it
This book hits its stride on page 165 (where a new chapter begins with the title "High Noon"). You've gotta wade through a near-impenetrable thicket of names and dates to get to page 165 (necessary context material for what happens next, I suppose, but awfully rough going), but once you do, you'll be finely rewarded by a gripping, gritty, granular account of the Iranian revolution in all its complexity. Some readers may complain that the level of detail is TOO finely-grained, but I appreciated a ...more
Matt Payne
Mar 14, 2014 Matt Payne rated it really liked it
A beautiful book about the personalities and power struggles that led up to the violent revolution that turned Iran from a semi-progressive monarchy into an anti-social Islamic regime.

It's a tragic story, but it's really informative for anyone who wants to understand more about the Middle East and Islamic power structures. It explains the political transformations from the 1800's up to the present date, focusing mainly on the two-generation Pahlavi monarchy who made Iran a more stable country, b
Carly
Nov 14, 2013 Carly rated it it was amazing
Obviously this isn't a side they are teaching in just any classroom today but being 29 years old I learned something amazing here. This book is packed full of knowledge and gives you a lesson in everything no one deemed important enough to put in a textbook. I highly recommend this book. Its a page turner that challenges everything you thought you knew and sheds light on truths overlooked by many. Loved this book!!
Philip
Jan 29, 2014 Philip marked it as to-read
Foreign Affairs' Best Books of 2013: Editor's Picks choice.

Jean Bart
Jul 28, 2015 Jean Bart rated it really liked it
I started reading this book in the context of my having a fascination with many Iranian history and cultural aspects I find baffling and intriguing. From Iranian troops marching on the Israeli flag, Iranian troops simulating a missile attack on the US White House, and Iranian crowds chanting "Death to America," one would think that Iranian government and people obsess over the West. However, this seems sensationalistic and hard to credit, as I live (and have always lived) in the West. Therefore, ...more
Aaron
Nov 22, 2013 Aaron rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: history fans, Middle East interests
Per FTC regulations, I received this book as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I think one of the most incredible things about this book is that this history has happened in my lifetime. I grew up despising Khomeini and Iran because they hated America. As with most things, time has eased this tension, and even though I'm still not a huge fan of Khomeini, I see through his book that he merely played a role in history and, by and large, he seemed mostly an unwilling participant, albeit a significan
Yashar
Jul 27, 2014 Yashar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This could be a much better book if the whole epilogue section had been omitted, because it is simply too short for giving a credible describtion of a period of 20 years. Moreover, and maybe even more important, the epilogue section contains obivious historical mistakes and the author's standards for writing that section had been well below the previous sections.

Without the epilogue I would give this book 3 or maybe even 4 stars. It was an informative book and distinct about other books written
Keval
Apr 09, 2015 Keval rated it liked it
Lots of details, lots of characters -- I was lost and confused several times while reading this book. But once you get past that, you'll appreciate Buchan's work (I really like the fact that he went into the Iran-Iraq War here). I'd definitely recommend this for anyone wanting a better understanding of why Iran took the path it did, and how it's shaped the country and the region since.
Cathy Hartel
Feb 20, 2014 Cathy Hartel rated it liked it
A good read, slow in parts due to the complex history involved.
Stephen Boiko
Jun 27, 2014 Stephen Boiko rated it really liked it
Why for centuries did the spiritual classes give their support to Kings and Princes? If power belongs exclusively to the spiritual classed, how come they have taken so long to recognize it?
Jerome
May 11, 2015 Jerome rated it really liked it
An easy to read account of 20th century Iran dealing mostly with the time between 1953 and the present.
Viktoria
Nov 11, 2013 Viktoria rated it liked it
The book is very detailed and informative. I found it difficult to read, because the modern history of Iran is so complicated. The book would have been easier to get through for me if it had an appendix with maps, names of people and places, and chronology of events.
Diane
Nov 22, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A comprehensive review of Iranian politics from the nineteenth century to today. "Days of God" is well written and James Buchan clearly knows his material. For the history buff or a student of Middle Eastern politics, Days of God is highly recommended.
Murtaza
Nov 25, 2013 Murtaza rated it liked it
Blow by blow account of the revolution, almost too granular at times to the point where it becomes tedious. Nonetheless some good stuff for people very interested in the subject; was somewhat sympathetic to the Shah and critical of the IRI.
Glen
Oct 24, 2013 Glen rated it liked it
Putatively a history of the Iranian revolution, probably serves better as a biography of the two Shahs and the Ayatollah. For what it is, it is interesting, and well researched, but I was really expecting a more holistic study of the revolution.
Harry
Oct 27, 2013 Harry rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I won a copy of this work as a part of a Goodreads "Giveaway". It is an entertaining history of the collapse of the Shah's regime and the early years (inclusive of the war with Iraq) of the current regime in Iran.
Jim Jewell
Dec 28, 2014 Jim Jewell rated it really liked it
Solid book on Iran
Mathias.adriaenssens
Mathias.adriaenssens is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2016
Yvette
Yvette marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Stian
Stian marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Intrepid86
Intrepid86 marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Yiannis
Yiannis marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Turki Khalaf
Turki Khalaf marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Ibrahimali
Ibrahimali marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
  • The Immigrant Exodus: Why America Is Losing the Global Race to Capture Entrepreneurial Talent
  • Revolutionary Iran: A History of the Islamic Republic
  • Unthinkable: Iran, the Bomb, and American Strategy
  • A Line in the Sand: Britain, France and the Struggle for the Mastery of the Middle East
  • Management in 10 Words
  • The New Industrial Revolution: Consumers, Globalization and the End of Mass Production
  • The Eagle Unbowed: Poland and the Poles in the Second World War
  • Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine, 1958-1962
  • Cables From Kabul: The Inside Story Of The West's Afghanistan Campaign
  • The New New Deal: The Hidden Story of Change in the Obama Era
  • Assassins of the Turquoise Palace
  • The Twilight War: The Secret History of America's Thirty-Year Conflict with Iran
  • Raffles and the Golden Opportunity