Start by marking “Texts from Bennett” as Want to Read:
Texts from Bennett

Texts from Bennett

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews

Hardworking Kansas City rapper Mac Lethal has a problem, and its name is Bennett. His wannabe gangsta cousin is seventeen, uses drugs and foul language, claims to be 13 percent black, and swears he speaks "da female language." (Strangely that last one sort of seems true.)

But as different as they are, when Bennett and his mom lose their home, Mac’s got their backs. They’re
Published September 3rd 2013 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Texts from Bennett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texts from Bennett

The Edge of Always by J.A. RedmerskiMine by Katy EvansSimple Perfection by Abbi GlinesKing Hall by Scarlett DawnThe Redemption of Callie & Kayden by Jessica Sorensen
Fall 2013 New Adult releases
80th out of 176 books — 655 voters
We All Sleep in the Same Room by Paul RomeWave by Sonali DeraniyagalaGray by Pete WentzIn the House Upon the Dirt Between the Lake and the Woods by Matt BellJagannath by Karin Tidbeck
Underdog Literature: 2013
178th out of 206 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Mar 25, 2014 Kelly (and the Book Boar) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

When Mac Lethal finds out his aunt is about to lose her house, he invites her, and his cousin Bennett, to move in with him until they can get back on their feet again. The events that transpire during their co-habitation inspire this very untraditional story of family and falling in love . . .

It’s probably not really worth it, but I’m giving this one 4 Stars.

Living in the same town as Mac Lethal, I discovered the “Texts from Bennett”
Kelly Hart
Sep 22, 2013 Kelly Hart rated it it was amazing
A couple years ago, I fell in love with a blog on Tumblr. It was possibly some of the funniest shit (pardon my french) I'd ever seen.

What blog? You may ask.

Well ...

Texts from Bennett, of course!

So, when I came across a post from Mac, while perusing my Tumblr dash, stating Texts from Bennett was becoming a book, I thought, I might just have to read that!

I must admit, I figured it would be more of what I would call a bathroom reader -- a book that's hard to get caught up in or lose your place,
Cindy Schilling
Aug 06, 2013 Cindy Schilling rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2013
As the mother of a 28 year-old son, I've heard my share of rap music.
Mostly when he was in high school and I was driving him back and forth to his various activities. I'm not a huge fan, and I especially have issues with the misogynistic aspects of the medium.

Thanks to Facebook, I'm still aware of where his musical tastes lie, and from time to time he made mention of a rapper named Mac Lethal,a white rapper from the Kansas City area.

One day while browsing the new ebooks for review on NetGalley,
Shari
Jul 09, 2013 Shari rated it it was amazing
Review forthcoming soon.

This book was hilarious with its cringe-worthy situations. I loved it. Dropped another book I was currently reading (Ink) in order to read this one. :)
Katelyn
Sep 26, 2013 Katelyn rated it did not like it
Check out the reviews on Amazon. The only conclusion I can come to is that the author has paid people to leave positive reviews. That, or the people reading the book can't see how completely contrived this book is, from start to finish. There isn't a Bennett. The author claims to be from a lower income area along the Kansas and Missouri boarder. He isn't. He is from an affluent community of white Christians, and uses this book as his excuse to drop the "N" word at will. When the tumblr accou ...more
Joe
Aug 06, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, humor
Mac Lethal’s Texts From Bennett tumblr page became an internet phenomenon after he started posting conversations he was having with his “gangsta wannabe” cousin Bennett. The tumblr, created some time ago, has provided many laughs for the general public, Mac’s fans and this writer in particular. The funniest part about reading any of the texts Bennett sent to his cousin Mac, is really just the grammar and inflection of tone he speaks in. Bennett himself, in the novel, admits to having African in ...more
Tara
Aug 26, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley. It is expected to be released on September 3, 2013.**

I don't read a lot of humor books, but I'm a fan of Mac Lethal's Tumblr blog, Texts From Bennett. The blog is a series of texts between Mac and his younger cousin, Bennett. Bennett is a wanna-be gangster (he thinks he's in the Crips gang) from Kansas City. Mac is actually a legit hip-hop artist (which I had no idea about until I read the book), but doesn't play into the rapper stereoty
Amanda (Good Choice Reading)
Sep 03, 2013 Amanda (Good Choice Reading) rated it really liked it
I’ll admit, I went into Texts from Bennett with a heavy bias. Not only was I already a fan of Texts from Bennett since stumbling across it, I’ve also been a fan of Mac Lethal for a while. While I’m not the biggest fan of hip hop or rap in general, Mac is part of a fairly short list of rappers that I like.

With that in mind, I can’t honestly judge whether or not I think someone would enjoy Texts from Bennett if they weren’t familiar with the man or the blog behind it. I would like to think so. Mac
Teena in Toronto
Jul 24, 2013 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
Mac Lethal is a white rapper who was living with his girlfriend, Harper. When his aunt, Lillian, her boyfriend, Tim, and her son, Bennett, become homeless, Mac invites them to move into this home. Harper isn't crazy about this but they had no money and nowhere else to go. Lillian is a drug addict who dozes in front of the TV and Tim doesn't work and plays video games all day. Bennett is 17, a wanna-be gang member and claims to have found out from a "family tree company" that he is 13% black. He ...more
Lisa
Jul 19, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
I discovered Texts From Bennett thanks to an email from Netgalley with some new releases, and I’m not even sure why I thought I would try get a copy of this as it is totally different from the kind of thing I would usually read, but it sounded quite a fun read and maybe after some serious reads lately I thought something light hearted was in order.

The first thing I will say about Texts From Bennett is it is not for the light hearted! If you don’t like a lot of swear words, or racial references,
Elaine
Aug 20, 2013 Elaine rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from Goodreads, and didn't really know what to expect. This book is from a tumblr blog, which I only discovered after reading this book. As the title indicates, there are a lot of texts and emails, making this an easy read, but there is first person narrative as well.

Bennett is an incredibly annoying character. I know people like Bennett from when I was in high school. Bennett is offensive and ignorant. However, despite my initial dislike towards Bennett, I found that as I kept
Maryellen
Sep 04, 2013 Maryellen rated it it was amazing
Texts from Bennett spawned from a popular tumblr that I had no idea about - went into reading this novel blind, intrigued by a firstreads post that I entered (and didn't win).

I fell in love with the characters and was happy to see certain ones exit and certain ones enter. Mac Lethal is pretty damn awesome, Bennett is loveably deluded yet wise and Bennett's friends may be one of the best parts of the book.

I honestly want to know more - only the best books do that to me. I will respectfully 'bow
Tammy Downing
Aug 26, 2013 Tammy Downing rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable book except I had difficulty with figuring out the text messages. I would really recommend it for people who text all the time. The great family interactions were very really to life. I have to mention that I won this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I am very thankful to Goodreads for selecting me.
Sep 06, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Texts from Bennett was not what I expected. It was so much better. I read the first chapter when the author linked it on his fb page, and I was hooked. Bennett is more than typos and thug living. I hope Mac Lethal finds at least moderate success with this book and we can read further installments.
Dylan Avera
Oct 21, 2014 Dylan Avera rated it it was amazing
I bought the book being a fan of Mac Lethals music and was interested how his lyricism would translate to a novel. I'm not much of a reader these days so when I first bought it I enjoyed it quite a bit but put the book down for a while due to other distractions. Almost two months later I found myself with a bit more free time and once I picked the book back up I couldn't put it down until I finished it. It's great, starts out with an intense scene and makes its way into some humor by the end of ...more
Megan Anderson
Jun 25, 2014 Megan Anderson rated it it was ok
Spurred by his popular Tumblur of the same name, Kansas City rapper Mac Lethal purportedly based this autobiographical story about his relationship with his 17-year-old cousin, who who “thinks he’s a Crip, works at Amoco, has a girlfriend named Mercedes, and is one of the most unintentionally funny and brilliant souls on the planet.”

I think that this novel is a pretty accurate view of lower class youth in America, at least as they are in Kansas City. Growing up, I knew these types of people. The
Kori
Sep 16, 2013 Kori rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
I wish more humor books based on tumblrs, memes, etc... would take note of this format and run with it! Could you imagine Texts from Dog with a whole story surrounding a hilarious set of texts? But I guess if you haven't looked into what this book is about or how it's formatted, you wouldn't know that it is way more than just an internet sensation printed on a real, tangible pages. I truly laughed out loud so many times that my husband kept looking at me funny. I was constantly telling him somet ...more
Tom
Sep 23, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been following Mac Lethal's Twitter and Tumblr accounts of the famous "Texts from Bennett" moniker for a while now, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this when I first picked it up. But you know, it ended up being a lot of fun to read. It's written as a legitimate book, with Bennett's texts providing insight and context for a lot of the things that go on (and with the book providing context for a lot of the funnier texts of his that Mac had posted online).

It's a fairly heartwarming
David
May 20, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
I almost returned this book to the library without reading it. Nothing personal. It just happens sometimes. And as someone who just recently discovered that I have aggregated a considerable amount of fines over the last nine years—dollar here, dollar there- I have reason to be careful and not hang on to anything I don’t need to. But I’m really glad I held on and finished this one, because it has turned out to be the best book I read all year. Mac Lethal, Kansas City rapper, lets the reader into ...more
Kristen
Sep 01, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I'd heard about it awhile back and was looking forward to reading it. Once I got used to the way Bennett texts, it was much easier to read. I laughed out loud several times and definitely enjoyed this book, even though it isn't something I would normally pick up. It was hard not to care about Bennett and I was rooting for him throughout the book. I sincerely hope he's still improving.
Amelia S.
Mar 23, 2014 Amelia S. rated it it was ok
I read about 2/3s of this book last night. It was on the new release shelf at the library and I remembered the texts from bennet tumblr.

The stories about having Bennet as his house guest are brilliantly funny.

The parts about his girlfriend are a little contrived. I understood her reservations about having such a troublesome crew move into her home. But she became unrelatable to a ridiculous point through the story to the point that she was willfully hurtful and offensive. The fact that she calle
Robin
Jul 25, 2015 Robin rated it liked it
I had to rate this only a 3...a happy 3...but a 3 nonetheless. This book was actually very fun to read and made me laugh out several times but it was also very crude, offensive and oh so inappropriate. I felt forced to level the rating out at 3 (if I was a better person...more modest and wholesome...I would have had to rate it low low low).

This book is based on real life events of a current rap artist by the name of Mac Lethal and his cousin Bennett. Mac's juvenile crazy cousin Bennett sends him
Kirsten Tautfest
Nov 19, 2014 Kirsten Tautfest rated it it was amazing
Plucked this off the local library shelves and checked it out on a whim. I thought I might stretch my horizons by reading a different style of presentation. I found I could not put it down. The juxtaposition of the intellectual narrator and his textually challenged cousin and the cousin's entourage were well written.
Mac brings class & race issues to the forefront and makes you think while laughing. If you like wry, absurd commentary on modern life, this is a must read.
Kathleen
Feb 04, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Crazy. Insight to the lives some live and how some young people are virtually raising themselves in horrible circumstances. The language is very inappropriate but it definitely is necessary for this story. The author did a great job with the text messages from Bennett; they made my head hurt trying to decipher them. Definitely plan to drop in on one on Mac Lethal's shows next time I'm in Kansas.
Kelly
Nov 02, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
It's been awhile since I gave anything 5 stars, but I believe this one deserved it. Apparently, it originated from a blog-the story of a white rapper and his ongoing texts with his seventeen year old cousin who thinks he is a gangsta Crip white boy. This made me laugh out loud as the seventeen year old Bennett gives advice to Mac about dating, while Mac tries to guide his cousin through daily life. Throw in the Oxycontin addicted aunt, the snotty ex-girlfriend, Bennett's psycho girlfriend, Merce ...more
Renee
Jun 10, 2015 Renee rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. it was an easy read but the story itself is one that's hard to resist. I laughed at Bennett and his view of the world, I sympathized with Mac for his struggles, and I felt connected to this book if only for a little while. I definitely recommend reading this book with an open mind.
Erika
Dec 30, 2014 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Book Ever

This book is the most humorous, crude, and honest book I have ever read. There are parts where I have to put my kindle down, crack up, re-read and then read the section a third time just to get through the book. So good. Thank you Mac Lethal for this brilliant book. Also, I love Bennett!!!
Matt
Oct 06, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I actually picked up this book because it had Mac Lethal's name appended to it; I had never seen, nor heard of, the tumblr. If I had, chances are I wouldn't have bought this book for the same reason I wouldn't buy any book centered around text messages.

Fortunately, the text messages played more of an auxiliary role in the novel. When they appeared, they were usually seamlessly spliced into the storyline. I was pretty impressed by the structuring and the narrative that Mac was able to cook up.

Th
Christina
Apr 12, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
Great book. Love story, funny, family drama, racism issues... this book has it all. I highly recommend this book. It restored my faith that good books are still being written.
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Sep 09, 2013 Bèbè ✦ RANT ✦ rated it it was amazing
*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Awhile back I was obsessed with Tumblr that was called “Texts from Bennett” and loved seeing the story behind a wanna-be rapper who’s grammar is not that great.

When I saw that Mac made it into a book, I definitely had to read this! This was Mac’s story about his family and how he opened his home to his aunt and her boyfriend with 17 year old gangsta son Bennett. It was amazing to see the story unfold and really reminded me of a very un
  • Fixer (The Ustari Cycle, #0.5)
  • Nice Guys Bite (Elemental Assassin, #15.5)
  • No Excuses: A Memoir
  • Hexomancy (Ree Reyes, #3)
  • Reality Ends Here
  • IMAGINES: Celebrity Encounters Starring You
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Romeo Spikes
  • Whitefern (Audrina, #2)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • The Soul Collector
  • Deceptive Innocence: Part 3 (Pure Sin, #1.3)
  • Reconstructing Brigid
  • Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
Mac Lethal (aka David Sheldon) is a rapper, videographer, and entrepreneur from Kansas City, Missouri. His albums have charted in the top 100 on Billboard through his Black Clover Records label. His videos have gone viral online (see “Pancake Rap”) and earned his YouTube channel a spot as that platform’s most viewed in the world for six weeks straight. Connect with him on Facebook, or follow him o ...more
More about Mac Lethal...