Start by marking “Time Flies” as Want to Read:
Time Flies

Time Flies

3.52  ·  Rating Details ·  1,688 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
In this heartwarming novel from the bestselling author of Must Love Dogs and Wallflower in Bloom, a recently separated woman faces her highway driving phobia and takes a road trip with her best friend to their high school reunion.

Years ago, Melanie followed her husband, Kurt, from the New England beach town where their two young sons were thriving to the suburbs of Atlanta
Published June 11th 2013 by Touchstone (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Time Flies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Flies

Claire
Apr 18, 2013 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
So grateful for these lovely pre-pub reviews:

"Like all of Claire Cook's exhuberant novels, TIME FLIES will make you laugh, make you cry, get you thinking and leave you with the feeling that the best part of your own life has only just begun!"- Jill Miner, Saturn Booksellers

"...don’t let Claire Cook’s humorous style fool you. She is one heck of a writer with pitch perfect comedic timing and plenty of heart. Trust your instincts, women everywhere, and read TIME FLIES." - Ellen Ward, Foxtale Book S
Alexa Darin
Jul 29, 2013 Alexa Darin rated it liked it
I would like to preface this review by saying that I had no problem with the writing in this book. The writing was stellar. That being said, let's get on with this.

The opening pages of Time Flies, by Claire Cook, held great promise, with the main character (Melanie) cutting up her marriage mattress. Loved the potential there for a fast, fun read. And when she and her friend B.J. set out on a road trip, destination high school reunion, I was expecting all kinds of craziness. But when Melanie turn
MB (What she read)
Jul 08, 2013 MB (What she read) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Need a fun beach read?
Enjoyed.

More upbeat and fun than some of these women's lit books, although I wish I'd come across some using a trope other than 'long-time husband/lover does her wrong'. (I'm bored with that one.) And they all seem to have that basic plot. This book had more variety than just that, some themes: accepting the past, moving forward, reconnecting with friends and family, trying new things...

Some random thoughts: Glrgh...the thought of willingly and purposefully drinking all of those Tabs! I'd forgo
Jackie
Apr 22, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Yes, it's officially summer now because there is a new book by Claire Cook on our shelves. Time Flies is a good one (but aren't they all?). This time it deals with a divorced woman and single mother trying to make her way in the world with her metal sculptures. She has two looming problems--her fear of driving on highways, and her high school reunion. This is a wonderful book about becoming yourself again, celebrating it, and flaunting it when you can. I really identified with Melanie, and ended ...more
Ruth
Nov 09, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
Melanie, like a good wife, followed her husband as he moved to a job to further his career. She uprooted her children and left the area where she grew up and called home. Now years later, he has left her. Her best friend tries to convince her to attend their high school reunion and she refuses until one day, flashes from the past and an email from a former classmate, who she once dated, has caused her to have second thoughts. Now she is filled with dreams of the connection they will make on this ...more
Jeananna
Apr 18, 2013 Jeananna rated it it was amazing
I just finished Time Flies. I am breathless! What a fantastic journey CC took me on! Fave read of 2013 so far! I will write my complete review tomorrow...

TWO BEST FRIENDS, A HIGH SCHOOL REUNION, AND A ROLLICKING ROAD TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE
YEARS AGO, Melanie followed her husband, Kurt, from the New England beach town where their two young sons were thriving to the suburbs of Atlanta. She’s carved out a life as a successful metal sculptor, but when Kurt leaves her for another woman, having the tool
Vox
Jun 16, 2013 Vox rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Claire Cook, having enjoyed Wallflower in Bloom tremendously. I was excited to get my hands on Time Flies and discovered that I had been looking forward to another book from her more than I realized.

I was not disappointed in the least.

High school reunions are similar to dentist appointments in that we know we need to go get checked out, but we dread the process entailed. Afterwards, though, we're glad we were cleansed.

So it is for Melanie, who moved away from her small Massachu
Kathryn Laceby
Jul 22, 2013 Kathryn Laceby rated it did not like it
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

I had high hopes for this novel and although there were aspects of Time Flies that I liked I found it slow and difficult to get attached to in the end.

The main character, Mel, was undeveloped. I didn't really feel for her and given that she'd just been through a separation from her husband it could have been made more of so we had that feeling of sympathy for her. I loved her artistic sensibilities and the fabulous sculptures she made throughout the novel but
S.E.
Jun 13, 2013 S.E. rated it really liked it
Here's what The Literary Bookie has to say about Time Flies by Claire Cook
(FICTION/CLOTH) Summer approaches, the plovers are nesting, its time for a cozy summer read and no one out there dolls out the pick-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps with the help of a friend by your side and smell the sea air better than Cook. Her recipe seems similar, two friends at a crossroads, an emotional train wreck up ahead and further up the road a life lesson learned. The trick is each time out the author finds the
Beth
Jan 12, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Claire Cook's latest, and let me just say, it's terrific!

Melanie is lovable, and real, and silly ... someone I would like to be friends with. She tells her story with heart and humor, and she exposes her vulnerability during a time when her life has been turned upside down. TIME FLIES is a rollicking fun yet poignant novel that’s sure to hit home with anyone who has ever experienced heartbreak, fought against a phobia, entertained a fantasy, or d
Pamela Pickering
I had never heard of Claire Cook before and couldn't wait to try one of her books when I found out she had penned the book of one of my favorite chick flicks, "Must Love Dogs". Well, color me just a wee bit disappointed. I didn't get too far into this book when I just found it to be a little to silly/ludicrous. I just can't imagine a grown woman putting a pic of an old high school class mate on a mop and dancing around the room with it, let alone making out with it. Even though the character was ...more
Lisa B.
May 23, 2013 Lisa B. rated it really liked it
My Thoughts

In traditional Claire Cook style, this was light and funny along with some touching, insightful moments.... Two besties hook up for a HS reunion sharing their current lives while reminiscing about being teens. I never could quite guess their ages, but with references to things like Bonne Bell, strawberry Lip Smackers, and songs like Van Morrison's “Moondance" or Joni Mitchell’s “The Circle Game"- I sure felt comfortable with the two ladies.

Ms Cook is my go to author when I want someth
Tracy
Jul 09, 2013 Tracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
This author needs her own category of over-the-hill female bonding with a hint of romance. If I weren't so fond of this author's early works (Must Love Dogs and her follow up - Multiple Choice, I think), I would have ditched her by now. This book is not an completely unreadable account of a woman recently separated from her husband who goes to her high school reunion with her best friend from high school, it was just not that good.
Judy
Jul 21, 2013 Judy added it
Loved this book, perfect summer read! BJ is the best friend we all want. Like that there
wasn't a "storybook" ending, but that it
was believable and hopeful. Characters were
well drawn and the story was allowed to evolve
and not end abruptly. Read it, especially if you've ever been on a South Shore of MA or Cape Cod beach, you'll be transported back in
this book! Enjoy!
Wendy Wax
May 24, 2013 Wendy Wax rated it it was amazing
Loved this reunion and reinvention story! Claire Cook totally gets it! Time Flies is the perfect read for Boomers getting ready for those upcoming reunions.
Oswego Public Library District
This is a spunky and humorous book that is likely to appeal to women of all ages, but particularly to those who are in their mid-life years. Learning how to date again after years of a marriage that ends in a bitter divorce provides lots of comedy while still touching on the experiences many might feel as they start anew. Texting and email were not around when these people started their dating lives in the 1970s, so there is much to adjust to (and mess up). In the midst of the humor, this novel ...more
Caren ~ the misfit geek
I cannot remember the last time I had so much fun reading a book. This book totally entertained me from start to finish. What’s not to love about a road trip in a classic car with classic rock blasting away? I didn’t want it to end.

I have to say I loved the quirky characters in the book. They made me laugh out loud. The book is written in first person in Melanie’s POV. I really liked her understated spunkiness. From the time she cut up her marriage bed, I was a fan. Her best friend, BJ, is her c
BATFS
Oct 21, 2013 BATFS rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated
Vapid. Insipid. Plotless. I am floored by the number of reviews that rank this as entertaining. Honestly? One big completely lackluster group of cliches in a row with about as much personality and character as a wet towel. It was tritely insulting to a level at which i think it could be David Foster Wallaces next best satire if only it pushed a little harder - that bad. Jeez folks, I used to trust your reviews.
Laurie
Apr 20, 2013 Laurie rated it it was amazing
I love Claire Cook and this book was wonderful, the only disappointing point was that it ended - because I wanted to continue to follow Mel and BJ even more. The characters were excellent and so relatable. I found myself wanting to learn metal working, or at least wanting to go out and buy some Tab. Claire Cook is the master of reinvention novels, she has such an easy style, with humor and just the right amount of drama, this was a fantastic summer read.
Anita Johnson
Jun 25, 2013 Anita Johnson rated it really liked it
This is a perfect beach read. Melanie has been transplanted from her life-long home of Cape Cod to metro-Atlanta where she is abandoned by her husband and suffers severe anxiety when faced with crazy highway traffic. She is coaxed into attending her high school reunion with her best friend and learns that the past sometimes should stay in the past. Claire Cook makes you feel like she's your best friend telling you her hilarious stories.
Carynpayzant
Jun 09, 2013 Carynpayzant rated it really liked it
Claire Cook is one of my favorite authors so I couldn't wait to get my hands on her newest novel. And it didn't let me down. I love how her characters are the same mid-life age as me. I can totally relate to their flashbacks and current concerns. Two women who have been best friends since high school embark on a road trip to their high school reunion. their antics along the way are hysterical with a lot of sage wisdom thrown in. A delightful read that will bring a smile to your face.
Anne McLaughlin
Aug 02, 2013 Anne McLaughlin rated it really liked it
Perfect book if you want to smile laugh and sing! This book is so much fun - especially if you remember drinking Tab! Lots of music, Massachusetts and childhood/teen memories. Funny laugh out loud lines and scenes about a cheating husband, a high school reunion, and girls pretending to be wild over 40. Loved the music and movie references.
Laconicella58
May 30, 2013 Laconicella58 rated it did not like it
Ugh.... these two women are much too whiny and phobic for me. What is supposed to be a fun beach weekend and class reunion, turns into the biggest Debbie Downer you can possibly imagine. If these two were my friends, I send them packing and find some new girlfriends to spend the weekend with. It took lots of willpower to actually finish this one!
Debra
Jun 11, 2013 Debra rated it liked it
The Best High School Reunion Evah may or may not be fun...but this book is an enjoyable confection of friendship, nostalgia and hope. For those of a certain age, the details - makeup brands, songs, fads etc. - will bring back those high school years enough. Now I don't need to go to my reunion. Not that I had any intention of it. This is definitely more fun.
Kathleen
Jun 23, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it
Because Claire Cook is a local author, I enjoy her references to local places and lore. I thought I even knew who she might be referencing when she described an extensive shoulder to shoulder tattoo necklace (but probably not!) The many passages about metal sculpture finding ideas, constructing big pieces, making them work, was one of my favorite parts of the book.

Patty
Jul 22, 2015 Patty rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Really more like 3.5 stars. This was cute. Fluffy. Fast. Total mindless beach read, and people who are somewhat older than I am will love all the nostalgic references. The whole Fawn side plot line was boring filler.
Cathy Santarsiero
Jul 30, 2013 Cathy Santarsiero rated it it was amazing
As an artist and a woman, the heroine in this book speaks to me on so many levels. Claire just "gets it" when it comes to getting to the heart when she tells a story. I don't recommend letting one Summer go by without one of her books to read on the beach.
Renee CK
Jun 10, 2013 Renee CK rated it really liked it
This is my literal beach read. Claire has (not surprisingly) hit the nail on the head with this spot-on novel. Time Flies touches on female insecurities in self, friendship, career, and relationships at the time we think about them most-- a class reunion-- with humor and accuracy.
Christine Lussier
Apr 20, 2013 Christine Lussier rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked it! A fun summer read. Takes place on the South Shore with reference to Minot's Light--can totally picture the area since I grew up about 1/2 an hour away & spent many a time at the lighthouse & at Scituate Light out on the jetty! Enjoyable read!
Kristina
Aug 01, 2016 Kristina rated it did not like it
Took every ounce of strength to finish this book. I was only able to because I was camping and needed something to read. I was skipping paragraphs at a time to complete it. Don't bother.
Sisterhood of the...: Time Flies: by Claire Cook 54 25 Nov 01, 2013 06:46AM
  • Blue Jeans and Coffee Beans
  • The Guest House
  • Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2)
  • The Widow Waltz
  • Lake Como
  • The Sassy Belles
  • The Wishing Tree (Sunset Beach #3)
  • Island Girls
  • The Wishing Hill
  • Saving Ruth
  • A Place for Us
  • Kissing My Old Life Au Revoir
I wrote my first novel in my minivan at 45. At 50, I walked the red carpet at the Hollywood premiere of the adaptation of my second novel, Must Love Dogs, starring Diane Lane and John Cusack. I'm now the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of 16 books. If you have a buried dream, take it from me, it is NEVER too late!

I've reinvented myself once again by turning Must Lov
More about Claire Cook...

“Because nobody knows you better than somebody who knew you way back then.” 7 likes
“Time flies. Time flies faster every year. Time flies whether you're having fun or not, whether you're living your life big or small, whether you surround yourself with fear or laughter.” 4 likes