Start by marking “The Rejected Stone: Al Sharpton and the Path to American Leadership” as Want to Read:
The Rejected Stone: Al Sharpton and the Path to American Leadership

The Rejected Stone: Al Sharpton and the Path to American Leadership

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Lord knows, Reverend Al has had his personal and very public ups and downs – but he’s come out bigger and better than ever. Though the host of MSNBC’s PoliticsNation is as fiery and outspoken as ever about the events and issues that matter most, he’s learned that the only way we can get right as a nation is by getting right from within.

In this, his first book in over a de
Published October 8th 2013 by Cash Money Content (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Rejected Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rejected Stone

Patrice Hoffman
Dec 06, 2013 Patrice Hoffman rated it really liked it
Won Through a Goodreads Giveaway

Honestly, I've never really known much about Rev. Al Sharpton besides the fact that he seemed to be a pretty popular caricature. From the moments where Kennan Thompson parodies him on SNL to the scene with Adam Sandler in the movie Mr. Deeds, I never was inclined to take the man seriously. I dropped my name in the hat of giveaway hopefuls in an effort to circumvent having to pay for something I wasn't too sure I wanted to invest my money in although I had a newfou
Dee's Reading nook
Nov 20, 2013 Dee's Reading nook rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won
I won the book... now the hard part -- waiting 4 to 6 weeks for its arrival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait!

Well worth every week I waited on this insightful jewel. Sharpton wrote this book with a spirit so compelling and heated that it was difficult putting this book down. This man has taken paths most would not venture but it has made him a man of stronger conviction and heart.

I highly recommend this book for people who love reading about leadership in a world where true leaders are few and in
Michael
Oct 19, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I very much enjoyed this book. It is well written and very informative, particularly for those like me, who did not know much about the Rev. Now that I am more informed, I have developed a high opinion of the man.....Michael
Hattie
Dec 31, 2013 Hattie rated it it was amazing
Al Sharpton is a man with purpose, passion and a legacy. Very early he made the decision to follow the example of Martin Luther King and Jesse Jackson. In other words, he chose to make Civil Rights his main goal in life. Just recently we saw him walking or standing beside the Trayvon Martin family. Always he kept their needs and desires in the forefront of the news. So that the injustice done to Trayvon Martin would hopefully not happen again.

Throughout the memoir, The Rejected Stone, there are
Arva
Aug 02, 2014 Arva rated it it was amazing
This book was very inspirational and insightful. This was an easy read with some very powerful lessons that I and many others can apply to our lives. I enjoyed the fact that Mr. Sharpton has learned from his journey and now helping others by stating the lessons he has learned. He gave some great tips in character, leadership, being authentic, staying true to yourself, knowing when to hit it and quit it, finding your calling/passion, goals, knowing your audience, etc. I also can see his maturity ...more
Grace P.
Nov 29, 2013 Grace P. rated it it was amazing
Some quotes I loved from this book:
"Don't let other people talk you into what seems to be a more appealing or lucrative career if it doesn't match your purpose in life."
"If you're not responsible for being down, you are responsible for getting up."
"Standing up there and failing to talk about economic justice, just telling people to shoot for prosperity...That's not preaching...Standing up there and ignoring the wars in the Middle East? Not preaching."

I read this on Thanksgiving Day. He's one of
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Oct 23, 2013 Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb" rated it it was amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT ANA AMAZING LIFE!!, October 20, 2013
By
Edwina "I Love books" "Edwina "I ... (USA) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Rejected Stone: Al Sharpton and the Path to American Leadership (Kindle Edition)
This was are very good historical story of events in Rev Al's life. The people he has meet an how they helped his own person growth. He tells how people and life changing experiences has formed his opinion of today. I Highly recomm
Elizabeth
Feb 16, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened
i loved this book! rev. al is very good at teaching through example. i was surprised that he was younger than i thought he was (under 60 instead of over 70). he has great words of wisdom and shows the evolution of his life
Brenda Shannon
Jan 13, 2014 Brenda Shannon rated it it was amazing
An excellent biography of a fascinating man. I've learned a lot about leadership and have a deep respect for Al Sharpton.
bruinbutterfly
Apr 02, 2014 bruinbutterfly rated it it was amazing
Don't let the slick hair and big mouth fool; Rev. Al is sharp and on point with his social commentary. My mom faithfully watches Rev. Al every day. So I borrowed the book from the library for her. But I started to read it and to my surprise Rev. Al was actually saying some provocative and stimulating ideas. He provided usefully tips of being an active leader in the community and the importance of creating your beliefs and sticking with those beliefs. I recommend this book for anyone looking to d ...more
Tawa
Aug 09, 2014 Tawa rated it really liked it
I respect Al Sharpton, he puts his life on the line fighting for what is right. We came a long way, but still have a long way to go.

Sharpton wrote said a lot of interesting things but this one was my favorite.."Let the lesson be that greatness is not determined by what we are challenged with; greatness is that you can be great no matter what your challenges are. It's not what you go through; it's what you get through. And you should never be disloyal to a great person who was loyal to you."
Dan
May 31, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
In "The Rejected Stone" Al Sharpton has written an engaging series of essays in the celebrity / biographical / self-help vein.

Each of the 23 chapters offers up a specific piece of advice, fleshed out with autobiographical illustrations. Often the advice comes from a long-held principles, sometimes from lessons learned the hard way.

I have to admit that I have never been a fan of Al Sharpton, though I also have to admit that I don't really know a lot about him.

Did reading the book turn me into a
Nichelle Sifontes
Jul 12, 2014 Nichelle Sifontes rated it really liked it
Great read for those looking to follow a new path in life :)
Mt. Lebanon Public Library
Elizabeth K.'s Pick
Call #: CD 973.92092 Sha
Carol
Jan 27, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
This is an autobiography and in a straightforward way, like Sharpton, talks about his life from childhood, his mistakes and how he grew into a rational and reliable person. His male mentors greatly impacted and he addresses the pros and cons of those relationships. He doesn't promote himself, just tells us about himself and his philosophy of how to life a good life with integrity.
Derek
Aug 20, 2014 Derek rated it liked it
A satisfying, though fairly straightforward biography-cum-motivational book.

I do remember, as a child & younger adult, the more broad, ridiculous, over-the-top portrayals of Sharpton, and I enjoyed reading his side of the story and how he has evolved in some of his beliefs while staying true - or trying to stay true - to his own life's mission.
Rochelle Culbreath
May 04, 2014 Rochelle Culbreath rated it it was amazing
I listen to Mr. Sharpton on WURD a lot. I am glad I read this book. The timing was interesting. The detail needed. But most of all. I feel so much better about a man who I was not sure I really liked or even understood. I now understand him and his purpose/Devine purpose for being on this earth.
Misty
Dec 25, 2013 Misty rated it liked it
I do not like this individual. Yet I wanted to see what other views are stated about this individual. I learned a lot of information which I had never known. So thank you.
Tracy
Dec 26, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
A very inspiring story. I enjoyed it so much that I've passed it on to my 22 year old son, who is enjoying it as well. Highly recommend.
Jim Blessing
Dec 22, 2014 Jim Blessing rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
This was a decent book that I had trouble getting through.
Linda Heyward
Nov 15, 2013 Linda Heyward rated it really liked it
Loved this book. I have a new found respect for him.
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Salamah
Salamah marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
sedat  nezerli
sedat nezerli rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Daniela Bullard
Daniela Bullard marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Helen DiFalco
Helen DiFalco marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Glitchyda The  Don
Glitchyda The Don rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Cheryl A. Barker
Cheryl A. Barker rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy
  • The Long Shadow of Little Rock: A Memoir
  • The People's Place: Soul Food Restaurants and Reminiscences from the Civil Rights Era to Today
  • And Then Life Happens: A Memoir
  • Original Gangster: The Real Life Story of One of America's Most Notorious Drug Lords
  • Patriotic Grace: What It Is and Why We Need It Now
  • Eye on the Struggle: Ethel Payne, the First Lady of the Black Press
  • Glow: The Autobiography of Rick James
  • Double Victory: How African American Women Broke Race and Gender Barriers to Help Win World War II
  • Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story
  • Trickle Up Poverty: Stopping Obama's Attack on Our Borders, Economy, and Security
  • The Vineyard We Knew—A Recollection of Summers on Martha's Vineyard
  • A Doctor in the House: My Life with Ben Carson
  • It Is Well with My Soul: The Extraordinary Life of a 106-Year-Old Woman
  • An Angry-Ass Black Woman
  • The Big Fight: My Life In and Out of the Ring
  • Living and Dying in Brick City
  • The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
Alfred Charles "Al" Sharpton Jr. is an American Baptist minister, political and civil rights/social justice activist, and radio talk show host. In 2004, Sharpton was a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the U.S. presidential election.

Sharpton hosts his own radio talk show, Keepin It Real and and his own TV show, Politics Nation on MSNBC.

Sharpton's supporters praise "his ability and willin
More about Al Sharpton...