Start by marking “Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3)

Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles #3)

4.4  ·  Rating Details ·  5,812 Ratings  ·  349 Reviews
New York Times and Wall Street Journal best-selling author's gritty urban fantasy set in an alternate noir 1930s. A tough P.I. battles an interdimensional monster that wants to suck magic power out of the world. Sequel to Hard Magic and Spellbound.  Book Three in the Grimnoir Chronicles.

Only a handful of people in the world know that mankind’s magic comes from a living cre
Published August 6th 2013 by Baen (first published July 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Warbound, please sign up.

Kevin Baker I attended a book signing a couple of months ago, and Larry said that at that time he has 19 books under contract. He has planned another book set in…moreI attended a book signing a couple of months ago, and Larry said that at that time he has 19 books under contract. He has planned another book set in the Hard Magic universe, but it's way down the list. This is a standalone trilogy.(less)

Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

A Great Finish to an Epic Trilogy - 4 Stars

Warbound puts the finishing touches on what has proved to be one of the most original series I have read. It is well written, intelligent and fun in a sea of Dresden wannabes. The first thing I did after finishing Warbound was to hop on Twitter and ask the author if we will see more in this series. Larry Correia informs that while this puts an end to the trilogy of books, he intends on writing further novels set in
Mr. Matt
Jun 24, 2013 Mr. Matt rated it really liked it
Warbound is not what anyone would mistake as quality, thought provoking literature; however, it is loads and loads of fun. The book oozes fun and entertainment. It has giant zeppelins, space aliens, magic, giant robots, zombies, death-rays, body snatchers, and more. It has twists and turns. It has the unexpected. It also has "it" - that indefinable thing that makes it virtually impossible to put down as you roll from one scene to the next.

So what makes Warbound so good? First and foremost is wor
Beanbag Love
Jul 27, 2013 Beanbag Love rated it it was amazing
Warbound is the third and final installment in Larry Correia's amazing "Grimnoir Chronicals" trilogy. This series is one of my favorites and now that it's over it's going on the keeper shelf for all time. Correia has promised some more material in the world so I have that to look forward to, but I would definitely like to read more about these characters specifically. I don't know if that will happen, but I would be thrilled if we got to see them again.

This book isn't perfect. In fact it's prob
David
Jul 19, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chandleresque superheroes, Lovecraftian samurai, pulp action Okies
This book is cheesy big guns blazing entertainment, and I loved it. I am giving it five stars not because it is the best of the best, but because it was fun and action packed and it's an example of an author doing nothing more and nothing less than entertaining his audience without pretense.

Warbound is the third book in the Grimnoir trilogy, so you want to read the first two. It is set in an alt-history in which a magical being came to Earth in the 1850s, and its presence bestowed magical powers
Shari Kay
Nov 09, 2016 Shari Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Not quite 4 stars...but close enough.

Larry Correia....you clever man. I liked the con. It was a fitting way to win against all the odds and make it somewhat believable.

The final book in LC's trilogy (at least the first story arc as I hope he revisits this world) was pretty good. We followed a few of our main characters...though mostly Jake and Faye. As it should be. They have always been the stars of the Grimnoir show.

Can I just say how scary Faye is? Holy shite, that girl is...not right. But
J.
Mar 01, 2013 J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
4.5 stars.

I was anxious to get to this book so I could close out one of the 93 series I've started and because this is Mr. Correia's first series finale. Also, maybe this means he can finally get back to the Monster Hunter series.

I enjoyed almost everything about the story, the pacing was great, the action plentiful and the ending satisfying.

While listening to this book I learned that the very talented narrator, Bronson Pinchot was Balki on Perfect Strangers. That's just crazy.

Balki

Mr. Pinchot did an
John
Jul 24, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Whoo Hoo! Let's hear it for ending strong. This novel was great. And it was a great conclusion to the Grim Noir Chronicles. Jake, Faye and the gang are still trying to defeat the enemy without the benefit of help from the US Government or the Grimnoir. I really don't want to say too much about this book, because you shouldn't be reading this if you haven't read Hard Magic and Spellbound, and if you have read them, I don't want to spoil any of the fun. The only minor quibble I had with the book w ...more
Becky
A quick and short review:

Yes. I feel the same way, Mr. Burns. This book had some impressive carnage. Very impressive carnage indeed.

I don't know if I can say that this book lived up to my expectations, because... well, I didn't rightly know WHAT to expect. But what there was, I really enjoyed.

I still have the same nitpicks about the reading, but still, on the whole, it was well done, and I'm pleased to report that Pinchot yelled! Yay! I was so proud of him.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what
Nickolas
May 03, 2013 Nickolas rated it it was amazing
WARBOUND is the third entry in New York Times Bestselling Author, Larry Correia's urban fantasy epic, Grimnoir Chronicles. Though Larry has suggested the possibility of future books set in the Grimnoirverse, WARBOUND wraps up the particular story arc began with HARD MAGIC (an all time favorite of mine). This is the first time Larry has concluded a series, and so I greeted WARBOUND with much excitement and a degree of reservation. As Larry's fans are well aware, this man knows how to kick off a s ...more
Nathaniel
Nov 12, 2013 Nathaniel rated it really liked it
I read this series so quickly that I never had time to read any outside news about how many books were in it, and that really helped me enjoy the books. It's easier for me to predict what is going to happen when I know how much time is left in a work (just like you can identify the bad guy in a police procedure based on how much time is left in the episode), and so not knowing how many books were in the series meant I was never sure what the final conflict was going to be. And the emphasis of th ...more
Teresa
Feb 11, 2017 Teresa rated it really liked it
Me encanta. Le pongo la cuarta estrellita por la inmensa sonrisa y la sensación de dinero bien gastado que me ha dejado la trilogía en conjunto. Sospecho que esta trilogía va pasar a formar parte de las sagas que visito cada año.
Matt Spaulding
Mar 19, 2016 Matt Spaulding rated it really liked it
I think this is the best book in the series. It definitely has the best writing and the best story. It also has the least involvement of the "Faye" character, who I find absolutely intolerable.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Thank you to Netgalley and Baen for providing me with an e-ARC of Warbound in exchange for an honest review. This is the third book of bestselling author Larry Correia's Grimnoir Chronicles series, and because I had such a blast with the two previous books, I just couldn't wait to get my hands on this one and find out the conclusion!

As you can probably guess, I highly recommend the rest of the novels in this series, Hard Magic and Spellbound -- definitely read those first if you are interested i
Karissa
May 21, 2015 Karissa rated it it was amazing
This was the final book in the Grimnoir Chronicles. It wraps up the story nicely and I enjoyed it a lot. While I haven’t enjoyed this series as much as Correia’s MHI series; it was a well done series and action packed.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narration is well done. I still have some trouble hearing some of the really low pitched character voices with the road noise in my car; but that’s something I have gotten used to over the series. Aside from that, the narrator does an excelle
Jeff Miller
Aug 15, 2013 Jeff Miller rated it it was amazing
Wow!

Larry Correia has easily become one of my favorite authors. He had me with the "Monster Hunter International" series. The Grimnoir trilogy totally blew me away.

Correia has the knack like Brian Sanderson for detailed world building with a cohesive and thought out magic system. In some ways this series is like X-Men along with a few of the same themes. The difference is that the actives (the ones with some degree of magical ability) are divided into classes of powers. The main character is a g
Chris Bauer
Sep 05, 2013 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it
This is the third and final(?) installment of Correia's "Grimnoir Chronicles" and it is a fitting capstone to a very well-done series. There is a lot to appreciate in this work specifically and the series overall.

- The setting and background are meticulously researched and presented in a very subtle fashion without any "as you know, Bob" or info dump moments, something very difficult to pull off.
- Characters are rich and vibrant without pausing every other chapter to delve into their childhood h
Mary Catelli
The third book of the Grimnoir Chronicles. Serious spoilers ahead for Hard Magic and Spellbound.

Indeed, after a flashback to the first fight with the Pathfinder, it opens with Faye secretly watching Whisper's funeral. Fortunately, she's noticed and manages to catch the Grimnoir elder who raised Whisper after her family was murdered. She wants him to try to train her, even though she knows he thinks she's too dangerous to live.

Meanwhile, Jake Sullivan is filling up an airship with all sorts of sp
Simona
Jul 29, 2014 Simona rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd and last novel in a series.
It is a peculiar series. I read it would have a bit of a noir taste; at first, I thought it had more of a YA taste: lots of Powers, lots of things happening, lots of heroes everywhere; at this point, it was IMO a 3 stars at best.
But then I realized it wasn't a YA series: it was an Adventure series (with a capital A). I realized I started to read HF when I was a kid, reading the wonderful Emilio Salgari books: "The Black Corsair" series and "Sandokan, th
Melindeeloo
Jan 03, 2015 Melindeeloo rated it it was amazing
So sorry to have finished this trilogy, but the ending was epic. I love the characters and am going to have a hard time leaving them behind. My timing for reading this series couldn't have been more perfect though, since there are two little audio shorts to ease my withdrawal pains. And the one with a member of the next generation gives me hope that maybe we'll get a little more from this fabulous world that is a mash up of alternate history, magic, sci if, and detective noir, wrapped up in some ...more
Kat  Hooper
Apr 25, 2014 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

Warbound is the third volume of Larry Correia’s GRIMNOIR CHRONICLES, an alternate history which takes place during the early 19th century. This review will contain spoilers for previous volumes. You’ll definitely want to read those before picking up Warbound.

The stakes are higher than ever in Warbound. When Jake Sullivan was let out of jail to help his country, he never dreamed he’d be fighting an evil being from another dimension that plans to suck the po
Maxine
Aug 15, 2013 Maxine rated it really liked it
Warbound is the third and final instalment of the Grimnoir Chronicles. it is an alternate 1930s and Jack Sullivan has gathered a group of Grimnoir knights and has headed to China. Along with Toru, the son of the true Chairman of the Imperium, they plan to unmask the false Chairman who is now aiding the Pathfinder, an alien intent on stealing the power which fuels all magic on earth. Meanwhile, Faye has gone to Europe to find out what her role as Spellbound really means and why the Council is try ...more
Per Gunnar
Jul 18, 2013 Per Gunnar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This is the third and, I believe, the last installment in the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia. I have enjoyed all of the books although I still have a preference for his Monster Hunter International series over this one.

The books in this series are all a mix of magic and alternate reality. The first book in this series was quite overwhelming in that sense as far as I am concerned. I am not a great fan of alternate reality stories but the book was still well written in the usual style of Lar
LindaJ^
What a great series with a great narrator. Faye, Francis, Jake, Toro, Lance, and many other old and new actives go after the Pathfinder in order to stop its master from sucking all the magic power out of the earth. Faye, while still enjoying killing bad guys, grows into a very mature young woman. Jake falls in love with a diminutive active who can control fire (she went after him). This was a great end to the alternative universe series. And it is even quite relevant to today's political situati ...more
Wayne McCoy
Jun 10, 2013 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it
'Warbound' by Larry Correia is the third and final book in the Grimnoir Chronicles. It's a big crazy novel with lots of improbable stuff going on, but I love the way it weaves real history in with events in the series.

The Power is an interdimensional monster that wants to destroy the world, or at least remove the magic from it. Standing in The Power'sway is former P.I. Jake Sullivan who is an Active, part of a group of people who have extraordinary powers that are classified kind of like in comp
Elisabeth
Jun 01, 2014 Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
I received this e-book as part of the Hugo voting packet. I did not read the first two in the series, because I am lazy and impatient. If I had seen the cover art I wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole - however, I see how it might appeal to the apparent (young male) target audience.

The world reminded me of Boneshaker; there are zepplins and weird steampunk technologies and, for some reason, zombies. The characters reminded me of the X-Men, and also all that 1950s Western sci fi in whic
Brad
What a ride this was. All three books were fantastic and tight, but this one felt absolutely gorgeous. I can't say that about most books, urban fantasy or otherwise, but I can with this one. It had the perfect joy of ups and downs, subtle magics and a mind-blowing over the top epic space monster battle. It had enemies turning into friends. It had the struggle of ultimate evil in a woman's heart.

This might have been the last of the hugo nominees for the year that I've read, but I have to admit t
Susan
The Grimnoir Chroncles are anything but Grim. This series has been a wonderful ride and a real adventure. The diverse magic and likable characters are incomparable to any other fantasy series I have read. Larry Corria has a real knack for creating lovable mavericks, and the imagination behind each characters magic is perfectly ingenuousness. I hope that he finds a place for them in his future writing. I would miss this posse of nonconformists.

Bronson Pinchot is so amazing. It is unbelievable th
Diane Daniels
Aug 26, 2013 Diane Daniels rated it really liked it
This was a great conclusion to the series. It was somewhat violent as the title suggests. I loved the characters, so I had to find out what happened to them in the finale. There are twists and turns in the plot. There's intrigue and betrayal, love and revenge, and enough magic to destroy or save the world. Things get pretty dicey towards the end. Some characters die and many come very close to death. Sullivan finds love at last. Faye figures out how magic works. The Imperial Guard gets a shake u ...more
Jenna
May 26, 2013 Jenna rated it it was amazing
It was an amazing end to an incredible series. There was a certain point where I had to literally stop reading and ask aloud if I had just cheered on a total psychopath. It's that good.

I haven't read a series I've loved this much in an incredibly long time. It never felt like I was wading though it to get back to the good stuff. This series is nothing but good stuff. The world is incredibly well-built and characters make for some strong storytelling.

Larry Correia is firmly cemented as one of my
Travis sivarT
Mar 26, 2014 Travis sivarT rated it it was amazing
I am rating this book a bit higher than I originally planned for one reason. Ninjas! They just snuck into the story and made a brief appearance but because they popped out if no where in a very ninja fashion its good for an extra half star. The best part with this trilogy was the fact each book got better. I was not completely sure my feelings after the first book but am so glad I continued on. I found each book to grow in details and plot strength. An excellent ending to an entertaining series.
What Power would you want? 1 10 Dec 04, 2014 08:44PM
Too bad this is the last of the books. 5 29 Dec 04, 2014 08:15PM
  • Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • The Butcher of Khardov
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Ex-Communication (Ex-Heroes, #3)
  • Confessions of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #2)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • The Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi (Burton & Swinburne, #4)
  • Two Ravens and One Crow (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Wakulla Springs
  • The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12)
  • Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5)
  • The Jester (The Riyria Chronicles #2.5)
Larry Correia is the New York Times bestselling author of the Monster Hunter International series, the Grimnoir Chronicles, and the thriller Dead Six.
More about Larry Correia...

Grimnoir Chronicles (3 books)
  • Hard Magic (Grimnoir Chronicles, #1)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)

“If you expect to survive, you must keep your wits about you. You must keep your firearms clean, your knives sharp, and—if you are lucky enough to have it—your magic ready, but no amount of Power or equipment or fancy kit will make up for a lack of brains and guts. When danger looms, don’t hesitate, commit.” 5 likes
“Legible penmanship is a sign of a boring mind.” 4 likes