Start by marking “Arranged Love” as Want to Read:
Arranged Love

Arranged Love

Suhaani is enjoying her independent status in the US and her sexy Indian American boyfriend, when suddenly she loses her job to recession. And she's forced to move back to India where her father has selected a boy for her from his guitar class.

Suhaani doesn1t know how to tell her Internet-savvy dad and Farmville-addict mother that she's not interested in an arranged match
Published 2012 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Arranged Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arranged Love

2 States by Chetan BhagatI Too Had a Love Story by Ravinder SinghThe 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan BhagatThe Immortals of Meluha by Amish TripathiRevolution 2020 by Chetan Bhagat
Indian Books - Fiction
327th out of 778 books — 2,173 voters
2 States by Chetan BhagatRevolution 2020 by Chetan BhagatEX by Novoneel ChakrabortyMarry Me, Stranger by Novoneel ChakrabortyThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My BookWorld
47th out of 52 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Arunima
2.5 stars...

Oh-kayyy. So well even though I hadn't started this book with a lot of expectations, I was gravely disappointed. But then maybe the thing is that it was my fault only to expect anything at all from Indian romance novels. I am not being judgemental but I always find myself disappointed by Chetan Bhagat, Nikita Singh, Durjoy Datta etc etc. But that doesn't male me stop giving up on them.( Anuja Chuahan excluded in the list since I absolutely love her! )

So first what was the sto
Aneesha
Dec 02, 2012 Aneesha rated it really liked it

Better than Parul's first book and very aptly for the current fb generation. A really fun read. It was like reading a great romance and so modern and yet so Indian, with a smattering of Hindi songs, all that we right here could identify with. A must read, funny, insightful and witty
Pooja Jeevagan
Feb 01, 2013 Pooja Jeevagan rated it really liked it
So well, this happens to be the one final Indian author written novel, which has been amazing with a regular day-to-day, thousand-novel-on-the-same-issue subject...

I won't compare her with Ashwin Sanghi or Amish Tripathi...they are complete different Genre..but I do put her in place for competing with Chetan Bhagat, Ravinder Singh, Sachin Garg, Nikita Singh or so on...and man, she beats them all hands down!!

A simple predictable story, which still can glue you to reading...an unexpectedly good vo
Yesashwini
Dec 25, 2014 Yesashwini rated it it was amazing
Totally wacky!I loved very single word of this book,espcially when guys are compared to cars and bikes and Neha's advice to suhaani that "to seek love,sex and marriage in one specimen is like lokking for a car with luxury(love),speed(sex) and mileage(marriage)." so,if you are a person who has a wacky,crazy,streak in you,my boy you'll love this!!
Jaasindah Mir
Feb 20, 2013 Jaasindah Mir rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copies
A graduate at UMich, Suhani is head over heels in love with her Indian-American boyfriend Jay aka Jayant Guy. A painter at heart, Suhani is all set to make money out of a nude painting of her boyfriend. Looking at this American Adonis and getting the features of his exposed body on the canvass, all the accumulated libido is vanished into the air when Suhani’s father calls her up from India and asks her to check her email only to find the photo of a guy from her father’s guitar classes. A potenti ...more
Sarika Patkotwar
Feb 08, 2013 Sarika Patkotwar rated it really liked it
Actual rating- 3.5

*NOTE: We (The Readdicts) received a copy of Arranged Love from author Parul A. Mittal in exchange for an honest review. We thank Parul for the book!

Arranged Love is author Parul A. Mittal's second novel. Her first book, Heartbreaks & Dreams! The Girls @ IIT was the story of Tanu, cousin sister of the protagonist in Arranged Love, Suhaani. I haven't read the author's first book yet, but after reading Arranged Love, I'm so eager to know more about the early days, the develo
Ajith Rajan
Feb 12, 2013 Ajith Rajan rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads

The back blurb pretty much summarizes the entire story, which is said from Suhaani’s point of view. Usually I get into the narrator’s shoes and become the ‘I’ of a first-person-narrative, but here I became more of a listener, listening to Suhaani say her story. She reveals her innermost thoughts, feelings and experiences (uncensored—I got turned on at several places!), and it was great to see a girl’s thought-processes (I was left confused in many in
Indiabookstore
Jan 21, 2013 Indiabookstore rated it really liked it
Losing one’s job, that too at Lehman Brothers is nothing unusual when you think about the late-2000s global financial crisis, but will surely strike the right chord for you as a reader (as it did for me) when our girl takes the centre-stage along-with her Indo-American so-called the eternally true lover and a disgusting-at-first-sight prospective typical IITian suitor.

As the story progresses, it would not be hard to speculate that it’s just going be yet another previously-known narration by an I
Bharat Jhurani
Jun 19, 2015 Bharat Jhurani rated it liked it
Shelves: own-books
After reading a lot of heavy books of late, “Arranged Love” by Parul Mittal caught my eye at the Mumbai airport. Browsing through it generated some interest and the price point just demanded an impulse purchase from me.

Was it worth it? Read on.

Arranged love is a very common concept in India where arranged marriages thrive and everything from the shaadi ka mandap, baraaat, khana, peena and rona dhona can be arranged, including love.

The plot? Well, it is one more in the chic lit series without muc
Karan Chowdhary
Dec 24, 2012 Karan Chowdhary rated it liked it
Hi Parul

I have just finished reading your new book, and wanted to write to you about my thoughts. I would just want to admit that I have been straight and blunt with my language and understanding of life lately after experiencing its realities in an different enlightening way, please bear with me and my thoughts as they are in no way to either criticize or bring down the effort of you writing a book and then managing to get it published too !!! For me this moment is a great achievement in itself
Vibina Venugopal
Feb 04, 2013 Vibina Venugopal rated it really liked it
Chick-lit genre is slowly expanding its horizon through the country and Mittal has come up with an interesting pot pouri through her latest novel..
Suhaani's life is a bliss with an independent life as a master's student in the United States with a handsome boy friend and an alluring career ahead of her..Though she misses India somehow she has chosen to fit in the US penning down a future there...Going steady with her half Indian boy friend Jay she is not ready to open up with her family.. But Al
Abhilash Ruhela
Jan 23, 2013 Abhilash Ruhela rated it really liked it
The 6th book of this year is done reading in a single sitting. This is what happens when you get your hands on a very interesting and heart-gripping book. Even when I am suffering with epic-kind-of-stomach-pain, it was hard for me to go to sleep/rest by keeping this book aside without turning the last page of it. :-) Finally, I am done. "Arranged Love" which also has the tagline of "Can it get more complicated?" published by Penguin Books. The cover page of book is soothing and once you'll be d ...more
Vinitha
Feb 13, 2013 Vinitha rated it it was ok
Shelves: indian-authors
The book is fun and filled with reasons to LOL - it was the perfect weekend read till the author decided to start stereotyping. I had this image of the Deep and Suhanni in my head and the last couple of chapters the author completely changed it around. WHy should Indians (especially single and eligible ones) be stereotyped?
Mansi Verman
Jan 17, 2013 Mansi Verman rated it really liked it
A young and fun book, I specifically enjoyed the humour and light tone that the story displays. Although predictable towards the end, I think there was good effort in trying to show how such questions about chosing your life partner does not really have one correct answer - at the end you have to just trust your gut!
Indra
Jan 22, 2013 Indra rated it it was ok
A light read book. Parul has woven a story using humor and her knowledge of the corporate world. Some of the analogies used are interesting. Parul, this could be a plot of a Bollywood movie.
Saheli Roy
Jan 22, 2013 Saheli Roy rated it really liked it
Highly recommend it..will make you laugh and sigh.
A roller-coaster ride.ENJOYED IT!
Priyanka
Dec 18, 2012 Priyanka rated it did not like it
Nothing more than an Indianized version of MnB..
b00k r3vi3ws
After all the recent campus stories and other stories about IIT/IIM stories, I absolutely wanted to read this book because the summary states that the girl decides reject the IIT-ian. Oh don’t blame me… there’s been just too much written about the ‘difficult years’ that these students go through and the pressures of being an IIT/IIM graduate, I just wanted to read about one getting rejected!

So, the story starts with Suhaani’s life in US. With a degree under her belt and a promising career, she i
Devina Dutta
Feb 09, 2013 Devina Dutta rated it liked it

Parul Mittal's maiden book Heartbreaks and Dreams was a novel that I found realistic and touching. Sadly, Arranged Love could not match up to those expectations. Free spirited, bold bindass heroines have always been a favorite, however, I could not warm upto Suhaani immediately, nor halfway through the book and tragically enough, even after I was done with it. The hero or rather heroes Deep and Jay do not make up for a tough suitor swayamvar as both are extremely weird and irritating and....cli
Dipali
Nov 11, 2013 Dipali rated it liked it
Crestless Wave
Feb 13, 2013 Crestless Wave rated it liked it
“Hey do you know something about chick-lit novels?” texted a friend of mine.
“Chick lit: Chick lit is genre fiction within women's fiction which addresses issues of modern women often humorously and lightheartedly, ” I forwarded her this web-definition.
“What else do I need to keep in mind before reading one?” She texted back.
“Feel Like a Girl!” I replied with excessive use of :biggrin smilies.
I haven’t told her that I’m reading one currently. And how hard I tried to focus; I couldn’t stop myself
Arti
Aug 05, 2013 Arti rated it really liked it
Arranged Love by Paul A Mittal is the story of Suhaani Agarwal, a twenty something girl, the only child of her parents, who is in the US. She loves to paint and wants to put up a painting in an art gallery. She has an Indo-American boyfriend, Jayant Guy, and plans to marry him. Her father, who is more of a friend than a parent, calls her up to check her email where he has sent the biodata and picture of Deepak Goyal, an IITian, who he has selected as a potential suitor for Suhaani from his guita ...more
Smitha
Jan 13, 2013 Smitha rated it did not like it
Suhaani is enjoying her independent status in the US and her sexy Indian American boyfriend, when suddenly she loses her job to recession. And shes forced to move back to India where her father has selected a boy for her from his guitar class.
Suhaani doesnt know how to tell her Internet-savvy dad and Farmville-addict mother that shes not interested in an arranged match, especially to an IITian. She decides to dislike the guy.
Except that he’s not too thrilled about her either.
Even when they end
Soumi Saha
Dec 17, 2015 Soumi Saha rated it it was ok
the book is a quick read and short...it was fun...but there are certain flaws...1st is with this kind of plot it could have been much much better than this...and the 2nd point is its ending...it is not satisfactory at all...its like the author wrote the ending in a rush...the ending could have been better...overall i liked it... and i recommend it to those who are seeking a quick and light read on weekends..
Charanjeet Singh
Jul 08, 2014 Charanjeet Singh rated it it was ok
A light read. It's a very believable story and the twists added to the story are pretty good. The language used is very simple(read amateur), colloquial and FB-gen kind.. For some reason story lacks the soul. The end especially seemed too hurried. It's an average book, which you might read if you don't want to invest a lot of time and money.
Sruthi
Sep 10, 2016 Sruthi rated it liked it
Deep is the best guy ever . Boys in books are definitely much better , you can never find them real . Sigh ... !!!

My favourite - She finds him attractive only after she falls in Love with him , which is much better than falling in love with an attractive guy .

The writing was simple , but it could have been much better .
Ashwini CN
Jan 30, 2015 Ashwini CN rated it liked it
Picked this book at the Landmark flash sale, so it was a random purchase.

This is a light, breezy novel though at times you really wish the plot progressed quickly.

A good read.
Kathy Chung
Dec 07, 2015 Kathy Chung rated it really liked it
a witty and easy to read book.

i like that main character. she is so lively.

this book is nit the usual sobs story when comes to arranged marriage
Sarada Choudary
Jan 31, 2016 Sarada Choudary rated it liked it
I picked this up at the airport on my way back to the US; it was a light-hearted, chicklet type story that was entertaining and an easy read.
Alcina
Aug 14, 2016 Alcina rated it liked it
A constant build up throughout the story. I basically liked and enjoyed the puns and witty comebacks in the whole book the most.
Who Do You Marry? 1 7 Feb 18, 2013 08:32PM
How do you know when someone is the Mr/Ms RIGHT for you? 3 11 Jan 16, 2013 08:06AM
Goodreads Librari...: Author status and books 2 155 Nov 22, 2012 07:47AM
  • Echoes of Pemberley
  • The House that BJ Built
  • The Journey
  • How Forever Feels (Friends First, #4)
  • Pirates and Prejudice
  • On Any Given Sundae (Sweet #1)
  • Winning the Boss's Heart
  • The Houseguest: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • The Homing Pigeons...
  • Hot Wheels and High Heels (Playboys, #1)
  • With the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #3)
  • Pride's Prejudice
  • Unequal Affections: A Pride and Prejudice Retelling
  • Playing the Playboy (Heirs of Damon, #2)
  • Keep the Change
  • The Cop Who Stole Christmas (Tall, Hot & Texan, #2)
  • Emma, Mr. Knightley, and Chili-Slaw Dogs (Jane Austen Takes the South, #2)
  • Coco Caramel (Chocolate Box Girls, #4)
Parul (Agarwal) Mittal is the author of a national bestseller novel “Heartbreaks & Dreams! – The Girls @ IIT”. She had just released her second novel Arranged Love as a Penguin Metro read imprint.

Apart from reading and writing fiction, the author loves listening to old Hindi music, cannot resist jiving to dance beats, loves to party with friends, and has a keen interest in staying fit.

She did
More about Parul A. Mittal...