Start by marking “Creative You: Using Your Personality Type to Thrive” as Want to Read:
Creative You: Using Your Personality Type to Thrive

Creative You: Using Your Personality Type to Thrive

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Whether you can admit it to yourself or not, you are creative.

In today’s complex world, creativity is the key to finding and living your passion. Whatever that passion is—cooking, technology, writing, or even plumbing—Creative You reveals your own personal style of creativity to help you build an environment of innovation at work and home.

Disc
Published July 2nd 2013 by Atria Books/Beyond Words

To ask other readers questions about Creative You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative You

J.D.
The first thing I did when I opened up my copy of Creative You was to scroll through the table of contents to get right down to business. I like to fancy myself as a creative type with a slight obsessive compulsive bent, so if there was even the slightest chance of my having some undiscovered creativity lurking in my DNA somewhere, I needed to find it.

Chapter Two helped me determine that I was the ESFP type - the Entertainer (this little discovery made me giddy). Next I went to Part Two: The Six
Kendra
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is a tool used by many to better understand themselves and how they perceive and interact with the world around them. Creative You goes the next step beyond understanding personality types and behaviors to focus on how that knowledge can be applied to creativity and how different kinds of people harness and manifest creativity. The premise is made that all personality types (meaning all people) have the capacity to be creative in their own ways. The book focuses o ...more
Rebekah
As a Myers Briggs junkie, this book is a great tool for understanding why and how your personality clicks in your creative life - hobbies, career, personal life. It outlines how all people, not just artists, can be creative and describes how creativity looks in each personality type and category (NT, NF, SP, SJ).

I skimmed through the parts that were relevant to me and would recommend anyone read the 4-5 page section on her personality. Along with Please Understand Me II, this would make a great
Florence
Goldstein and Kroeger's book goes on in length to describe personalities based on the Meyers-Briggs Assessment,used by businesses for many years. It helps to identify personality types and to recognize weaknesses and strengths. For example, are you an extravert or an introvert? But it goes much further than that. I found it is difficult to be quite that cut and dry; people cannot be slotted into these categories that easily. However, when you focus on your personality it does become somewhat cle ...more
Licia Radford
I skimmed this book and got a lot out of it. It's a very helpful, practical approach to creativity for each personality type. I passed on a lot of the content to friends.

I enjoyed the many quotes from famous creatives- Matisse, Henry Ford, Marilyn Monroe, Van Gough, etc.
Eric
Good resource on personality types as it relates to creativity. Some great insights as I considered the difference between myself and other family members. I wish there had been a bit more on application to growing creativity... Broader and more specific ideas and examples.
Jenny
An interesting read for people who are intrigued by MBTI and are creative. I have to admit I focused more on my own type and read the other types' info in a more cursory fashion. I don't think you miss much if you do. This book is more helpful for identifying your tendencies rather than dealing with your tendencies that might interfere with creativity.
Kenny
I started reading Creative You hoping to get it to tell me "Your passion is gardening" or "Your life will be fulfilled by painting." Looking back I'm surprised I didn't realize I was expecting too much. But the book does something a lot better: it shows you how your personality drives why you do things. I'm still skeptical of the application of the MBTI, but it's still closer to true than randomly guessing. And if you're randomly guessing at what you would enjoy doing then you should definitely ...more
I got some direction in how to look inside myself but not a lot of direction for what to do with that information. I feel like I only got half of what the title said this book would give me.
Leigh  Kramer
While the Enneagram is my wheelhouse, I appreciate all things Myers-Briggs. This was a fascinating look at creativity according to personality type. Many helpful insights.
Monica
Love reading this book so much that I have to get my own copy, so that I can write in it and share it with others. It's an interesting piece of my M-B personality traits that I never thought about...how my creativity and personality uniquely combine. Good, fascinating stuff!
Rosebud
I really enjoyed this book. It is based on the Myers Briggs personality types and how they affect your creativity. It also helped me understand how differently Jim and I make decisions that sometimes create miscommunication and frustration when trying to figure out where to eat, etc. Very funny! I also liked how the book suggested each personality type use their strengths and deal with the roadblocks that the particular personality type can cause when trying to complete projects.
False Millennium
Interesting for those who buy into the Meyer Briggs Personality Testing. The theories set forth on creativity (in all aspects of life) are principled on that test. If you don't believe in it, the book isn't of much use to you. I was glad they spent time discussing creativity in children (and also the workplace) and how to develop that aspect of the process.
Corinne
Sorry besides being 'all over the place' I just didn't like the theory behind this book. To me, it felt like a (very) forced framework on something that can't be neatly categorized and defined. Sorry, I'm not buying it and I'm not seeing how this is helpful to people. The best way to increase your creativity is to continue to see and do things in DIFFERENT ways.
Lisa
found parts of this book by Goldstein and Kroeger very helpful, for example, I liked the section on introverts. However, I found the classifications which are based on the Myer-Briggs system rather rigid, and much of the advice a bit too vague.

However, it is a book that requires study, so I will read it again when I have more time.

Hope McCormick
Confirmed/validated that I'm indeed an INFP. I know the MBTI gets a lot of criticism, but personally I find it useful. This book gave me some insights that helped clarify how I process information and make decisions. It also gave good tips on how to optimize strengths and work around weaknesses. Overall, not a bad read.
Nikki
I am already very familiar with the Meiers-Briggs personality types so much of this book seemed to just be a review of those types. I was expecting a little more. But there is still a lot of useful information here for those not familiar with Meiers-Briggs.
Cindy Richard
MBTI for creative types - can you say nirvana??? This book provided so many "aha" and "that's why I..." me moments. It also helped me to figure out my creative process. Definitely recommend!
LemontreeLime
This uses the Meyer-Briggs personality test as a guide to helping the reader achieve better creative journeys. I found it to be interesting, but did not read it in depth, just scanned it to see what it had to say.
I only read bits and pieces of this book, but I liked what I read. I'm a big fan of the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator, and it was interesting to look at creativity through that lense.
AnandaTashie
Insightful, thorough book about creativity in relation to the Myers-Briggs personality types.
Melinda
Fascinatingly accurate when I looked up my personality. Very interesting read!
Joan
Provided great insight and gave helpful direction.
Michelle
Great read. Insightful.
J. Sevick
Sort of--skimmed through
Poleneni
Jul 13, 2013 Poleneni marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
read
Irina
Irina is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2015
  • The Soul of All Living Creatures: What Animals Can Teach Us About Being Human
  • The End of Night: Searching for Natural Darkness in an Age of Artificial Light
  • Build Your Dreams: How To Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • Goodnight Mind: Turn Off Your Noisy Thoughts and Get a Good Night's Sleep
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • The Introverted Leader: Building on Your Quiet Strength
  • The Power of Meditation: An Ancient Technique to Access Your Inner Power
  • What Type Am I?: The Myers-Brigg Type Indication Made Easy
  • So, You're A Creative Genius, Now what?
  • The Distraction Addiction: Getting the Information You Need and the Communication You Want, Without Enraging Your Family, Annoying Your Colleagues, and Destroying Your Soul
  • Just Your Type: Create the Relationship You've Always Wanted Using the Secrets of Personality Type
  • Shut Up, You're Welcome
  • Jung on Active Imagination
  • The Art of Uncertainty: How to Live in the Mystery of Life and Love It
  • The Anti-Education Era: Creating Smarter Students through Digital Learning
  • America's Obsessives: The Compulsive Energy That Built a Nation
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
Otto Kroeger having become an internationally known organizational consultant, with his primary area of expertise being the implementation of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment, has now retired. As a renowned speaker, trainer and best selling author on the subject of psychological type he was in high demand for over three decades for his talent in bringing type theory to diverse per ...more
More about Otto Kroeger...
Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job 16 Ways to Love Your Lover The Workplace Profiles Excerpted from Type Talk at Work The Typewatching Profiles: Excerpted from Type Talk