Start by marking “Creative You: Using Your Personality Type to Thrive” as Want to Read:
Creative You: Using Your Personality Type to Thrive

Creative You: Using Your Personality Type to Thrive

No matter what your passion is—business, technology, science, or plumbing—this practical guide will enable you to unleash your innate creative skills based on your unique personality type and succeed in everything you do.

Whether you can admit it to yourself or not, you are creative.

In today’s complex world, creativity is the key to finding and living your passion. Whatever
Published July 2nd 2013 by Atria Books/Beyond Words

To ask other readers questions about Creative You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative You

J.D.
Apr 12, 2013 J.D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I did when I opened up my copy of Creative You was to scroll through the table of contents to get right down to business. I like to fancy myself as a creative type with a slight obsessive compulsive bent, so if there was even the slightest chance of my having some undiscovered creativity lurking in my DNA somewhere, I needed to find it.

Chapter Two helped me determine that I was the ESFP type - the Entertainer (this little discovery made me giddy). Next I went to Part Two: The Six
Kendra
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is a tool used by many to better understand themselves and how they perceive and interact with the world around them. Creative You goes the next step beyond understanding personality types and behaviors to focus on how that knowledge can be applied to creativity and how different kinds of people harness and manifest creativity. The premise is made that all personality types (meaning all people) have the capacity to be creative in their own ways. The book focuses o ...more
Irina
Apr 09, 2015 Irina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, non-fiction
То что я в плане книжек мазохистка, я это и до того знала. Ведь я прочитала Духлесс только лишь потому, что не могла бросить ее недочитанной. И это, кстати, соответствует моему типу личности. Ненавижу себя за это.
Я на примере этой дурацкой книжки, про типы личности, I mean, выяснила только одно - я про себя и так все прекрасно знаю, и откуда что берется я тоже знаю, и посторонние люди, чтобы они там себе ни думали, ничего нового мне про это не расскажут. А люди, которым нужно чтобы им про них же
Rebekah
Aug 14, 2013 Rebekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Myers Briggs junkie, this book is a great tool for understanding why and how your personality clicks in your creative life - hobbies, career, personal life. It outlines how all people, not just artists, can be creative and describes how creativity looks in each personality type and category (NT, NF, SP, SJ).

I skimmed through the parts that were relevant to me and would recommend anyone read the 4-5 page section on her personality. Along with Please Understand Me II, this would make a great
Esta Doutrich
If you are a MBTI geek like I've been for several years you will find this fun. I loved the practical ideas on how to ensure you are making the space in your life to be creative in ways that works for YOU.
Nancy
Oct 18, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book format seems unhelpful for comparing all the personality types. I got the most out of his tables where he compared the types in column/row layout.
Jaymi
Dec 01, 2016 Jaymi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 2016
Disclaimer: I received an eARC of this book from netgalley.com.

I find the idea of personality types intriguing. Part-science and part-divination, these 16 types can give us insight into how we think and navigate our daily lives. As a writer, being on top of my creative game is important. Enter, Creative You by Otto Kroeger and David B. Goldstein. This book helps creatives understand aspects of their personalities and creatives focus their energy, gain information, make decisions, and implement p
Kristina
Apr 01, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read!!!

Okay, maybe starting a review with a cliché phrase is not the best idea, but I couldn't resist.

In my personal humble opinion, I have to admit, this book is very very well written. It is quickly paced, does not drag on about one simple concept for a hundred pages (ahem-ahem, Barbara Sher), and has many good points and useful information.

Although this book is concentrated around how your personality type deals with creativity, it is very useful in learning about the Myers-Briggs clas
Cara
Interesting take on creativity and the specific form it takes based on your Myers-Briggs personality type. This makes a lot of sense to me. It was especially interesting to read the part about sensing vs. intuition right before going to a critique meeting and hearing feedback on a story I wrote. It was really obvious who the sensors in the room were! They did not get my story at all, whereas the intuitives could really dig it. Fun stuff.

Also, I used to think there was something wrong with me bec
Florence
Dec 28, 2013 Florence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goldstein and Kroeger's book goes on in length to describe personalities based on the Meyers-Briggs Assessment,used by businesses for many years. It helps to identify personality types and to recognize weaknesses and strengths. For example, are you an extravert or an introvert? But it goes much further than that. I found it is difficult to be quite that cut and dry; people cannot be slotted into these categories that easily. However, when you focus on your personality it does become somewhat cle ...more
Kenny
Jul 12, 2013 Kenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Creative You hoping to get it to tell me "Your passion is gardening" or "Your life will be fulfilled by painting." Looking back I'm surprised I didn't realize I was expecting too much. But the book does something a lot better: it shows you how your personality drives why you do things. I'm still skeptical of the application of the MBTI, but it's still closer to true than randomly guessing. And if you're randomly guessing at what you would enjoy doing then you should definitely ...more
Ashley  Brooks
This book was your typical personality breakdown based on Myers-Briggs, except the whole thing was framed by how each type displays creativity. It was a fascinating read, even if the writing---like so many psychology books---left a little to be desired. I skipped around to the parts that were most relevant to me (like the iNtuitive I am!), but I'd still highly recommend this to anyone who's struggling with their creative process or who simply wants to know more about how they function as a creat ...more
Rosebud
Apr 06, 2014 Rosebud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is based on the Myers Briggs personality types and how they affect your creativity. It also helped me understand how differently Jim and I make decisions that sometimes create miscommunication and frustration when trying to figure out where to eat, etc. Very funny! I also liked how the book suggested each personality type use their strengths and deal with the roadblocks that the particular personality type can cause when trying to complete projects.
Lisa
Jul 29, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
found parts of this book by Goldstein and Kroeger very helpful, for example, I liked the section on introverts. However, I found the classifications which are based on the Myer-Briggs system rather rigid, and much of the advice a bit too vague.

However, it is a book that requires study, so I will read it again when I have more time.

Hope McCormick
Confirmed/validated that I'm indeed an INFP. I know the MBTI gets a lot of criticism, but personally I find it useful. This book gave me some insights that helped clarify how I process information and make decisions. It also gave good tips on how to optimize strengths and work around weaknesses. Overall, not a bad read.
Ana
Aug 03, 2016 Ana rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
It's interesting enough but not one I would re-read or recommend. It's another book on personalities and although I enjoy finding out about the different types of personalities, including my own and what makes me tick it's all this one is..... just another one of those.

Sorry, not much of a review on this one

Ana
Corinne
Aug 31, 2013 Corinne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry besides being 'all over the place' I just didn't like the theory behind this book. To me, it felt like a (very) forced framework on something that can't be neatly categorized and defined. Sorry, I'm not buying it and I'm not seeing how this is helpful to people. The best way to increase your creativity is to continue to see and do things in DIFFERENT ways.
False Millennium
Interesting for those who buy into the Meyer Briggs Personality Testing. The theories set forth on creativity (in all aspects of life) are principled on that test. If you don't believe in it, the book isn't of much use to you. I was glad they spent time discussing creativity in children (and also the workplace) and how to develop that aspect of the process.
Jenny
Jun 30, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read for people who are intrigued by MBTI and are creative. I have to admit I focused more on my own type and read the other types' info in a more cursory fashion. I don't think you miss much if you do. This book is more helpful for identifying your tendencies rather than dealing with your tendencies that might interfere with creativity.
Eric
Mar 05, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good resource on personality types as it relates to creativity. Some great insights as I considered the difference between myself and other family members. I wish there had been a bit more on application to growing creativity... Broader and more specific ideas and examples.
Zora Avila
An introductory level book on Meyers Briggs Type Indicator, which provides techniques for applying creativity to personality type. I am already very familiar with the MBTI framework, so I found the book lacked depth. However, for the MBTI novice, it could be useful.
Donna
Jul 13, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who is looking to acknowledge and maximize my creativity, this book was perfect! Using Myers-Brigg personality typing, I recognized myself in the book. Reading this book was highly beneficial for me, and will foster my creativity. That's a lot of benefit from one book!
Flickalooya
May 24, 2015 Flickalooya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable exploitation of Jungian personality types and how these preferences translate to communication and creative expression.

I just zoomed through it as a library book. I would enjoy reviewing it again in 6 months or so:
Licia Radford
Mar 24, 2014 Licia Radford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed this book and got a lot out of it. It's a very helpful, practical approach to creativity for each personality type. I passed on a lot of the content to friends.

I enjoyed the many quotes from famous creatives- Matisse, Henry Ford, Marilyn Monroe, Van Gough, etc.
Jessica
Nov 14, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some good information but it was very very repetitive and many of the suggestions (to overcome creative blocks, for instance) fell short of being really concrete and applicable. Worth a skim but not much else.
LemontreeLime
This uses the Meyer-Briggs personality test as a guide to helping the reader achieve better creative journeys. I found it to be interesting, but did not read it in depth, just scanned it to see what it had to say.
Nikki
Aug 30, 2013 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am already very familiar with the Meiers-Briggs personality types so much of this book seemed to just be a review of those types. I was expecting a little more. But there is still a lot of useful information here for those not familiar with Meiers-Briggs.
Monica
Jan 18, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-knowledge
Love reading this book so much that I have to get my own copy, so that I can write in it and share it with others. It's an interesting piece of my M-B personality traits that I never thought about...how my creativity and personality uniquely combine. Good, fascinating stuff!
Leigh  Kramer
Jul 11, 2014 Leigh Kramer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the Enneagram is my wheelhouse, I appreciate all things Myers-Briggs. This was a fascinating look at creativity according to personality type. Many helpful insights.
Cindy Richard
Dec 21, 2013 Cindy Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MBTI for creative types - can you say nirvana??? This book provided so many "aha" and "that's why I..." me moments. It also helped me to figure out my creative process. Definitely recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Soul of All Living Creatures: What Animals Can Teach Us About Being Human
  • Build Your Dreams: How To Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • The End of Night: Searching for Natural Darkness in an Age of Artificial Light
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • Goodnight Mind: Turn Off Your Noisy Thoughts and Get a Good Night's Sleep
  • So, You're A Creative Genius, Now what?
  • The Distraction Addiction: Getting the Information You Need and the Communication You Want, Without Enraging Your Family, Annoying Your Colleagues, and Destroying Your Soul
  • The Power of Meditation: An Ancient Technique to Access Your Inner Power
  • The Introverted Leader: Building on Your Quiet Strength
  • Rip the Page!: Adventures in Creative Writing
  • America's Obsessives: The Compulsive Energy That Built a Nation
  • The Creativity Cure: A Do-It-Yourself Prescription for Happiness
  • The Anti 9-to-5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • The Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • Shut Up, You're Welcome
  • The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers
  • How to Wake Up: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide to Navigating Joy and Sorrow
Otto Kroeger having become an internationally known organizational consultant, with his primary area of expertise being the implementation of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment, has now retired. As a renowned speaker, trainer and best selling author on the subject of psychological type he was in high demand for over three decades for his talent in bringing type theory to diverse p ...more
More about Otto Kroeger...