Start by marking “Death Canyon: A Jake Trent Novel” as Want to Read:
Death Canyon: A Jake Trent Novel

Death Canyon: A Jake Trent Novel

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The gripping debut thriller featuring attorney-turnedfishing- guide Jake Trent, whose idyllic life is upended by a series of grisly killings.

Early summer in Jackson, Wyoming, finds former East Coast prosecutor Jake Trent wading through a swift current of local politics, introspection, and tragedy.

After leaving law behind, Jake escaped big-city life to pursue his dream: s
Published August 13th 2013 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Death Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Canyon

Vera
This book was great! I just returned from a trip of a lifetime to Jackson Hole, where I picked up a copy at the local bookstore. I couldn't put it down on my trip home, and it was so enjoyable to be able visualize every scene Bertsch so vividly describes. Death Canyon was the perfect cure to my post- vacation blues, a book I plan to re-read anytime I long for the winds of Wyoming.
Paul Pessolano
“Death Canyon” by David Riley Bertsch, published by Scribner.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – August 13, 2013

If you are a person who loves the outdoors, fly fishing, or National Parks, this is a mystery made for you. The action takes place in Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park.

Jake Trent, once a lawyer, now a devoted outdoorsman and fishing guide has his idyllic life turned upside down when he becomes involved in several deaths in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

The firs
Jeffrey
David Riley Bertsch a former lawyer, who became a fly fishing guide, clearly knows the craft of fly fishing. In his first novel, Death Canyon, the descriptions of the great outdoors, lures, fly fishing, the river, and the natural environment are all a reader could want. The real question in this book is whether the mystery works as well. And it does to some extent.

Jake Trent, is a former prosecutor who gave up his career to move to Jackson Hole, where he became an inn owner and fly fishing guide
Margaret
DEATH CANYON is a smart, tension-packed, well-written thriller set in picturesque Jackson Hole, a place that the author knows well. Bertsch does an excellent job painting Jackson as a place where nature still plays a dominant role in human life otherwise caught in a tug-of-war between principle and greed. And trust me, there's plenty of fishing involved! Few thriller writers who use the environment as a plot foundation are as savvy and objective as Bertsch.

The highlight of the book is attorney-t
Faye Ridpath
I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.

My husband is an avid reader, but has a very busy schedule because he is a courier, so he doesn't have time to look for books for himself.

So whenever I come across one I think he'll like, I pass it on to him.

This is definitely one I am going to give him to read.

It was a very engaging book.

I hope there will be more to come.
Janice
Good first book in this new series, the lead character is a transplanted attorney, who is now running a bread and breakfast while establishing a career as a fishing guide in Wyoming's Tetons. Becoming embroiled in a local murder investigation, Jake Trent teams up with Park Ranger Noelle to try to find who is killing people in and around Jackson Hole. While some parts of this read like science fiction, in reality use of geothermal power is being explored as an energy source, and extensive drillin ...more
John Johnstone
Jake Trent a retired attorney turned fishing guide just can't leave his old investigative job alone, and looks into some strange deaths in Jackson Hole where he lives, one of the victims he finds himself. Jake is not alone, Noelle Klimpton a park ranger is also curious and teams up with Jake to try and solve the mysterious deaths. All the time minor earthquakes continue to increase in frequency and intensity, adding tension to the already tense situation. The author builds up suspense very well ...more
Ted Lehmann
I read about 7% of this book and found it too pedestrian and error filled to continue reading. The central character Jake Trent (a horrible cliche of a name) was introduced with lengthy and incoherent background, e.g. no motivation for move from prosecutor to defense attorney except the love interest which wasn't convincing. The description of the acquisition of a B&B didn't hold water. The introduction of Noelle was just plain unbelievable. A Park Service employee would, as a matter of cour ...more
Emma Clement
I received a copy of this book through goodreads first reads in exchange for an honest review.
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. The setting, characters and storyline were well written, and overall, the novel was hard to put down.
Peggy
Loved it! Can't wait to read the next Jake Trent novel. I would expect this to be made into a movie. It has all the elements for the big screen.
Jon Fireman
Terrible. Can't believe I stuck through the end.
Miki
"How to Write a Book"

1. Come up with an interesting plot. CHECK.

2. Place the story in a terrific location. CHECK.

3. Decide on an interesting lead male character - Jake Trent, a former lawyer turned fly-fisherman. Check.

4. Add one beautiful, athletic, smart female character as a sidekick. Well, sort of check, but this is a new writer so we'll give him that one.

5. Add an assortment of villains, including a group of rabid eco-terrorists, an evil(or just plain crazy) man out for revenge against #3,
Doug
A good mystery that takes place in Jackson, Wyoming, the Tetons, and Yellow Stone National Park. Several people die from seemingly natural causes but later the theories don't hold up. A series of earth quakes cannot be explained. The hero Jake Trent, who has a small bed & breakfast for individuals that want to fly fish, is suspected for the murders and teams up with park ranger Noelle Klimpton to solve the murders. I liked the book. The first in a series.
Donald
"Death Canyon" Scribner

David Riley Bertsch

I am a retiree in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Its hard to believe this is a debut novel! Why someone hasnt set a book here before is beyond me!

I have read all the recent mystery greats -- Nevada Barr, Tony Hillerman, Nelson Demille, James Patterson and all the rest.

I really enjoyed this book. The way he paints the landscape is spot on. The plot is fast moving and compelling. Jake Trent is a protagonist I hope to see lots more of.

The ecological themes are a
Donna
Good first novel. A bit confusing at times. Set up for further adventures to follow. Should get better and better.
Laura Simcox
I liked the setting, and that was about it. Poor characters, plotting, writing.
Bryan
I don't really know why I bothered to finish this book.
Michael
Started very strong, sagged in the middle and the deus ex machina ending was disappointing. It is his first novel and could make for an intriguing series. The romance element started well, but Jake Trent needs some focus. The premise of the book with the bad guys creating earthquakes was not presented in a way that made sense to me.
Very good, especially for a first novel. Good story that kept me interested. However, I did feel it dragged on in spots and some could have been cut. I AM looking forward to the next in the Jake Trent series though!
Heather Hunt
The book had super description and I loved the location. The ending left something a little surreal and lacking, though. I could not put it down, and will look for his next book even with the flaws.
Barbara
Ending is a little over the top, but there was a nice twist. Probably could have been 75 pages shorter.
Lane
a good story but ending seemed a little weak for the story but it was a lead in to another book??
Ceilidh
Ust didn't hold my attention.
PWRL
Oct 31, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Carol Scheveck
Carol Scheveck marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
David Berry
David Berry is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Ren920
Ren920 marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
  • Nightmare Range: The Collected Sueno and Bascom Short Stories
  • Multiple Exposure: A Sophie Medina Mystery
  • Another Sun
  • Shoot the Dog  (Virgil Cain Mysteries #3)
  • The Fallout (Wyatt, #6)
  • Perfect Hatred
  • Weaponized
  • Capital Punishment: (Charles Boxer, #1)
  • Mortal Bonds (Jason Stafford, #2)
  • Big Egos
  • A Spider in the Cup (Joe Sandilands #11)
  • A Blind Goddess (Billy Boyle World War II, #8)
  • The Monster of Florence
  • Bay of Fires
  • The Fame Thief (Junior Bender, #3)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • Beggar's Opera,The (Inspector Ramirez, #1)
  • Chilled to the Bone (Officer Gunnhilder #3)