Start by marking “Lowcountry Spirit” as Want to Read:
Lowcountry Spirit

Lowcountry Spirit

A haunting historical eNovella about three slave girls with mystical powers living on an eerie island off the coast of Georgia, whose lives intertwine in their quest for freedom.

Meet Emmaline, Celestia, and Liza, three slave girls on a haunted barrier island in Georgia lowcountry.

Emmaline is a mouthy, stubborn young woman who has magic in her blood and conjures the stronge
Published August 12th 2013 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Lowcountry Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lowcountry Spirit

karen
what are the odds that i would read TWO e-novellas which were setups for an as-yet-unreleased novels back-to-back?? this is a phenomenon i have never even heard of, and yet here i am, all mixed up in the middle of a new trend!

and all.

but i like this trend. i have been meaning to read ann hite for a while now. Ghost on Black Mountain has been calling my name for years, with its "you love southern gothic ghostie stories with a little magical realism in 'em..." and i admitted as much, and i obtain
Diane S ☔
Apr 10, 2013 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it
There are just some authors that have the uncanny knack of portraying time and place to such a marvelous extent, so much so that the reader can place themselves right there with the characters. Ann Hite is one that does this so well, even in a short novella such as this. Love the southern myths so prevalent in the low countries, the stories of the geechees on Sapelo Island, where this novella takes place. Love the "gifts" that the girls are endowed with and the gift of being a story catcher. Her ...more
Donna
Lowcountry Spirit is a historical novella set in the south off the coast of Georgia featuring several young slave girls who love their island home yet yearn for freedom.

The audio narration by Allyson Johnson was incredible and I am SO glad that I chose to listen to, rather than read, this book. Allyson's narration expertly shaped the disquieting atmosphere of the island and communicated the pain hardened strength of the characters. She pulls the listener so deeply into the story that one can al
April Loebick
Apr 17, 2013 April Loebick rated it really liked it
Lowcountry Spirit is a e-novella. It follows the story of three slave girls in South Georgia who work on a plantation on Sapelo Island. Celestia and Emmaline are field slaves and Liza is a house slave. Normally, the two types of slaves wouldn’t interact with each other, but circumstances bring these three girls together.

Mysticism abounds, but like in Hite’s previous novel, Ghost on Black Mountain, it’s a more realistic and subdued type of magic. The story is a powerful one of fate, friendship, a
Naomi
Jul 28, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/16NS4DA

My opinion: Hands down, one of the most unusual and well written novellas I have read in a very long time. The storyline to this was so unusual and descriptive that there was almost a voyeuristic feeling that I had in reading it. The author was masterful in placing the reader in the setting and describing the period of time.

Unlike a lot of "introductions" to new releases coming out (The Storycatcher, 9/2013), "full length novelist" Ms. Hite has written a
Patty Mccormick
Jul 28, 2013 Patty Mccormick rated it really liked it
This is a short story that I read from Netgalley. It is going to be released on the 12th of August 2013 by Pocket Books of Simon & SchuSter. It is an e-novella that I read on my kindle. It is a prelude to Ann Hite’s new novel The Storycatcher, which is to be released on September 10th, 2013. Ann Hite debuted with her novel Ghost on Black Mountain. This book won the Georgia Author of the Year Award for 2012 and was nominated for the Townsend Prize. This e-novella introduces us to Ann Hite and ...more
Rhiannon Johnson
Aug 07, 2013 Rhiannon Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: southern

In a prequel to Ghost on Black Mountain, Ann Hite follows Nellie Pritchard's family tree back to three slaves girls on Georgia's Sapelo Island. Whether in the field or the kitchen of the sea island cotton plantation, each girl possesses her own form of magic. A marsh witch appears to Emmaline, Celestia and Liza individually. She protects women and girls... but at a price. In a neo-slave narrative with magic realism,this e-novella starts to unravel hidden stories and touches on the too common que
Beverly
Jan 10, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it
I had read and enjoyed the author’s debut novel – The Ghost on Black Mountain, so was interested in reading this e-novella. I was pleasantly surprised how this book is connected to both The Ghost on Black Mountain and the upcoming The Storycatcher. Each book stands on its own and has the author’s trademark style of well-written southern gothic storylines.
Jeanette
Aug 13, 2013 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Loved this beautiful writing. The story is mystical. I couldn't decide which character I liked the best. All three girls were equally intriguing.
Momreadstoomuch
Dec 14, 2013 Momreadstoomuch rated it really liked it
If this is how my year of books begins I am one lucky lady. If it gets better than this I might have to join a book readers version of AA. This story of life on an island plantation is full of love, loss and spirits. The plain speech of the book complimented the characters. I've read books where they use everything we learn in grammar class to show us a story instead of telling it. This book uses the language of the time to weave a beautiful tale. They speak of love in plain terms, laced with fe ...more
Julie
Jan 21, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Lowcountry Spirit by Anne Hite is a 2013 Pocket Star Publication.

This story is steeped in history, folklore, superstitions, and the paranormal, but is ultimately the story of friendship.

Three girls, all of them slaves, one a house slave, the other two field slaves, will endure unspeakable hardships, death, and pain, but will lean one upon the other for the strength and courage to do the unthinkable. Liza, Emmaline, and Celestia will form an unlikely bond, each one carrying their own unique gift
Jo Dervan
May 16, 2013 Jo Dervan rated it it was amazing
This is an e- novella about 3 young slave girls, Emmaline, Lisa and Celestial. They live on a Sea Cotton plantation on Sapelo Island off South Carolina. Each of the girls has a gift that separates her from all others. One girl hears a bell before there is a death. The second girl is a "story catcher" and the third is a root woman who makes spells.

Even though 2 of the girls are house slaves and one is a field slave, they become good friends. They are well developed characters even though this is
Chris Mclean
May 27, 2013 Chris Mclean rated it really liked it
E-novella about low country slaves that combines magical realism with a darn good story. This is a prequel to some longer novels about the same characters.

I am only sorry this was so short, as it was definitely well written and very engaging.

Although I this is not quite a young adult novella, it certainly could be read by middle grade students, especially those who are aware of slavery and how masters would rape their slaves, if they chose to do so. There is no graphic sex but clearly one of the
Taneka
The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that I didn't read this book before reading The Storycatcher. This story gives a foundation for the Clarks, which I wanted to know Maude Tuggle,s story anyway, since they didn't have her genealogy in The Storycatcher, or at least I don't remember seeing one.

This was a quick short read. It is only available in audio or eBook. I patiently wait for Hite's next story.
Taylor
I was given a free ARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review. I'm usually a fan of novellas, but I busy didn't really get into this one. I am not sure if it is because I have not yet read the book it is a prequel for. The story was simply okay. there wasn't enough character development. I felt like it had potential but was lacking in the end. Overall, not a book I would recommend. I only finished it so I could write this review.
Libby
Nov 26, 2012 Libby rated it it was amazing
Excellent and compelling novella about three slave girls on the Georgia coast. Each has special powers and there is the blue heron who used to be a slave who appears, sometimes to someone near death other times to help.
Keisha Streeter-Clark
Jan 05, 2014 Keisha Streeter-Clark rated it it was amazing
This book was an amazing, I really enjoyed the cultural aspects of it and how it flowed seamlessly. I highly recommend it.
Linda
Jan 11, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Excellent.
Sarita
Jan 12, 2014 Sarita rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-audio
Short read not a bad audio book.
Jessica
Dec 18, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Short but good.
Carol
Mar 22, 2017 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific prequel to Ghost on Black Mountain and is also a great story in itself, if only about 90 pages. I loved it. Best fun you can have for 99 cents!! Only problem is that I tried to order it for my daughter in paperback or even hard back, but it is only available as an ebook. What a shame.....she loved The Story Catcher and Black Mountain. But this is not available to her. Why?
Ticklish Owl
If you liked this book, you might also enjoy:

The Storycatcher
The Healing
Beloved
Glow
Beth
Aug 27, 2013 Beth rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, although I kept getting the three main characters all mixed up. They all seemed so much alike. However, this was still a great story. I still am not sure what a storycatcher is or is supposed to be. I know it is someone who catches and untangles other's stories but...I'm just not sure what that entails, exactly... I still look forward to Hite's upcoming The Storycatcher. I loved Ghost on Black Mountain. Hite is a great story teller. I love her simple style. And, hey, If I ke ...more
Nitya Sivasubramanian
This book was a wonderfully quick little listen. Artfully weaving together the lives of several young women, it managed to showcase many of the different facets of slavery that often get passed over when a book focuses on simply one character. And layered underneath was just a light whiff of magic that bound the girls together and brought out the strength and bravery that each of them had to develop to survive their struggles.
Empress Beastie
Feb 04, 2017 Empress Beastie rated it liked it
Wasn't what I expected it was just Meh to me. It was a very fast read
Tonya James
Jul 17, 2016 Tonya James rated it it was amazing
This pre-quel to the Black Mountain series was intriguing and well written. I was disappointed when it ended but excited to discover There was a series; I immediately ordered the first two books.
In "Lowcountry Spirit" we are given a taste of coastal slave life and death, thick imagery and an intro into "root", "haints" and "spirits". The voices of Celestia and Emmaline will remain with you long after you finish this novella. If you enjoy southern fiction you will not be disappointed.
Max
Oct 21, 2013 Max rated it liked it
highly rated by enthusiastic readers, i liked this novella but was unsure of the representation of the voices in it. not of their plight or feelings but of their spoken words. i felt jerked by what i read as abrupt changes in the paragraph and what i took as too simplistic speech. the entire concept i liked though and look forward to the next book.
Phyllis
Oct 21, 2013 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Ann Hite has a way with words and descriptions. Quote "But seeing pretty was the worst thing a slave girl could do. My love for beauty opened the door for ugly to come walking right in." This is about slaves on Sapelo island off the coast of S. Carolina. If you read her book "The Storycatcher" it helps you understand how it got started.
Anita Jefferies
Apr 07, 2015 Anita Jefferies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to South Carolina later this year and have always been interested in African-American history and culture. I also like slightly quirky novels! I'd already planned to visit the sea islands and this book just brought them alive for me... imagine my disappointment when I discovered that most of them are now golf courses! Loved the book though.
Alysia
Feb 18, 2014 Alysia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I was not really impressed with this audiobook. At first, the narrators voice didn't seem to fit the demographic of the characters. Then I was a little put off by the number of characters for such a short story. The story itself wasn't bad. I think it would have been better if I read it myself.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage
  • The Roving Tree
  • Her Own Place (Fawcett Columbine)
  • Wittgenstein's Lolita and The Iceman
  • Driving the King
  • Mother of Rain
  • Please, Louise
  • As Sweet as Honey
  • Remembering Slavery: African Americans Talk About Their Personal Experiences of Slavery and Freedom
  • The Summer We All Ran Away
  • Sugar in the Blood: A Family's Story of Slavery and Empire
  • The Hanging of Angelique: The Untold Story of Canadian Slavery and the Burning of Old Montreal
Ann Hite’s debut novel, Ghost On Black Mountain, not only became a Townsend Prize Finalist but won Georgia Author of the Year in 2012. Her personal essays and short stories have been published in numerous national anthologies. The Storycatcher, her second Black Mountain novel, will be released by Gallery Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster on September 10th. Lowcountry Spirit, an eBook novel ...more
More about Ann Hite...