Start by marking “Buddhist Boot Camp” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  2,705 Ratings  ·  302 Reviews
Buddhism is all about training the mind, and boot camp is an ideal training method for this generation's short attention span. The chapters in this small book can be read in any order, and are simple and easy to understand. Each story, inspirational quote, and teaching offers mindfulness-enhancing techniques that anyone can relate to. You don't need to be a Buddhist to fin ...more
Published February 19th 2013 by HarperOne (first published May 23rd 2012)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 19, 2013
    Buddhist Boot Camp is a simple collection of my one-page journal entries and personal letters to friends over the course of a few years.

Almost ten yea

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 628 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 01 - Sep 30, 2016

Countries available: US

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Buddhist Boot Camp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddhist Boot Camp

Nathaniel Hathaway
    I bought this as an audible book. Something I think everyone should truly listen to. It's something that I wish I had heard about 20 years ago. It's almost like having a conversation with a new friend that's already made all the mistakes you have and gives gentle advice.
    Erin
    Oct 30, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    After posting on FB the other day that I had some soul-searching to do, a friend offered to mail me a copy of this book. I received it Monday and read 1/2 of it then and finished up the last few pages today.

First off, I will admit I did not have much knowledge about Buddhism prior to reading this book. And I should add I am definitely not a religious person to say the least. I have my own personal beliefs but religion as a whole turns me off.

This book resonated so much with me. And yes it's tr
    Emmy
    Mar 06, 2013 Emmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    First things first, I'm not religious and he's very clear that you can be totally free from religion or practice any faith and get something out of this book. He's right about that. The things he says fit into anyone's life and go against no religious belief that I'm aware of. I think they would only enhance anything you currently practice. This is a very quick read, but its a book I can see myself reading multiple times. There's nothing new or revolutionary here, but it is raw and honest and it ...more
    F____
    Apr 29, 2013 F____ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: buddhism
    This book reminds me of Tiny Buddha, Simple Wisdom.

This is a nice and somewhat innocent book. Being in the second half of my life, I find the author young.

The other thing I find with this book is that it doesn't address deep pains such as war, poverty, trauma, rape,genocide, loss, betrayal, etc.

The book would have been great for me to read when I was a teen. Overall, I hope he continues to write as he ages. Younger people can definitely benefit.

Deborah
    Jun 12, 2013 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I bought this book, I read it, and then I bought more copies to give to my friends. It's a great little book that you can dip in and out of and refer to when you need a little clarity in your life. Every page is a separate read. If everyone lived with these principles, the world would be a wonderful place. I highly recommend it.
    Chuck
    Dec 04, 2012 Chuck rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    A quick read. Very basic, but OK for those who are new to Buddhism. The author does not appear to have a lot of experience with Buddhism. Some of the ideas Buddhist thought he presents is incorrect. However, this is a book I could recommend to someone who could benefit from adding some simplicity and less ego to their life.
    Adam Watson
    There were moments and messages in Hawkeye's book that, while not necessarily groundbreaking or new, are worth repeating. One of his messages is to increase gratitude for life; by "feeding" gratitude more than anger or fear, those other negative emotions will atrophy. This is definitely one I need to work on.

The anecdotes about Hawkeye's personal life is scattered throughout, and this creates a fascinating, sometimes jarring experience with his Zen teachings. I almost wish he wrote a straight-ou
    Lisa Hazen
    Mar 05, 2013 Lisa Hazen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I really loved this book, and I'm certain this will be one I will return to. It is a seriously quick read, and unlike a lot of self-help/religious books, not so heavy or dogmatic that it is hard to digest (or stomach, for that matter). Little elements of this book keep coming back to me, which is a great sign. I love following Timber on Facebook, too!
    Jamie
    Mar 07, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: non-fiction, adult
    I will read this book multiple times. Good stuff!
    Geoff
    Apr 12, 2013 Geoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Demystifies Buddhism for the average Joe............a great introduction to ways of making changes in your life without the worry of having to become a Buddhist
    Kenny
    Aug 12, 2012 Kenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is a very insightful book on how simple it is to lead a simple, grateful, life.
    Martel
    Craig Fiebig
    Nov 02, 2012 Craig Fiebig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Our son expressed interest in buddhism so I grabbed this in the SF airport the other day to simply learn more than I knew. This was easy because I basically know nothing about buddhism. Hawkeye's book was a fun and intriguing introduction. I'm glad Tommy pointed me in this direction and look forward to reading more in my next dip in these waters.
    Kaleb Phillips
    Apr 04, 2013 Kaleb Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is one of those books that will actually help you. It does not give you a secret code to unlock the mysteries of the universe, nor does it tell you how to win a million dollars. This book helps you change your perspective about the things happening in your life, and how to see a silver lining, and teach you the one true way to a happy life: Be kind.
    Marlies
    Sep 04, 2012 Marlies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Quick read. Ended up making notes within the book. This is nothing new but simply reminders of how we should act on a daily basis. I've re-read it an additional 2 times.
    Stef
    Jul 19, 2012 Stef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Quick and easy read to remind us of what's important in our lives!
    Diane Burgbacher
    Nov 06, 2012 Diane Burgbacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Clear and concise and really hits the point home.
    Jan 10, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A simply beautiful must read!
    Michele Harrod
    May 08, 2014 Michele Harrod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Oh this wonderful, wonderful little book. I almost don't want to say that it has been 'read' and file it away - as it's one that should be checked in with, often. Like a good trainer, Timber Hawkeye knows that we need encouragement and motivation to stay on track. This is 'fitness' for the soul. If I could I would buy a copy for every child in the world, to help spread these teachings - of the very fundamental principles of love and respect.

And then I would secure a copy for every adult, everyw
    Rick Gardner
    A "boot camp" - such as military or fitness boot camp - is usually a short but intensive period of indoctrination into a system or process. "Buddhist Boot Camp" does not fit that description.

For the seasoned Buddhist, with years of meditative experience and familiarity with the teachings of the Buddha, this probably is NOT the book for you. For the person with little (read: no) familiarity with Buddhism, or someone who isn't interested in learning any of the deeper tenets of Buddhism, this book
    Sommer Marsden
    Dec 10, 2013 Sommer Marsden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I started this little book yesterday afternoon. In between the many things I managed to do between then and now, I finished it. I loved it. It's a borrowed book from the library but I plan to buy a copy for the house. Possibly a few to give out to friends. It's a book that begged to be opened back up to page 1 and started again. I loved how simple but profound it was. It nutshelled many Buddhist beliefs and practices and made them easy to digest and understand. I recommend it highly to anyone, f ...more
    Shuva
    Nov 07, 2015 Shuva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A decent book filled with stories from Timber's life that serve as illustrations on lessons on how to live a good life. Good, fast read for anyone.
    A good lay-summary of Buddhist philosophy(ies).
    Linda Kissam
    Dec 08, 2014 Linda Kissam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    As the author explains, this is not a book about Buddhism. What it is, is a collection of inspirational thoughts and directives to help the reader go within and around themselves to awaken, enrich and inspire. You do not need to be Buddhist – or even thinking about becoming a Buddhist-- to enjoy or benefit from this book.

The author has a diverse background. On page 140 he explains, “I am a lot of things, yet not one of them defines me. Although I am technically Jewish, my mantra is Hindu, was or
    Shohaz
    Nov 02, 2013 Shohaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: books-i-have
    I have never read a book about Buddhism and I did not know anything about Buddhism.But when I read Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye
    Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye ("Bhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... ).I come to know about Buddhism and how it is important to our life.Today i know that what is Buddhism and is all about training the mind,and boot is an ideal training method for generation short attention span.
    This is all don by the book Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye .The bo
    audrey
    A short, easy to read book full of quotes and the author’s personal anecdotes that encourage mindfulness, gratitude, patience, and compassion.

Buddhist Bootcamp is a catchy title that has website branding and an online community behind it’s origin. The idea being that a person should practice what they learn. I felt the title misrepresented the book in many ways. The book is simple and concise showcasing the author’s personal moments of enlightenment through brief thoughtful stories. The author
    Jordan
    Mar 12, 2016 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: non-fiction, buddhism
    This is a quick read of very short essays, but I loved it. It's one of my favorite lighter books on Buddhist philosophies I've read.
    Phredric
    Jan 14, 2015 Phredric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    A series of very short notes, simplistic rather than simple. For a much better intro read almost anything by Pema Chrodron.
    Dawn Cauthen
    Aug 27, 2016 Dawn Cauthen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Really great book! Loved all of the examples and stories Timber shares. Makes it really easy to put into practice some of the teachings of Buddhism.
    Tim
    Dec 19, 2014 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I noted another reviewer's comment that the author is "young." I got the same feeling.

While I agree with the premise that you can take any ideological view of the world and add zen, and just plain be better off, there is an un-addressed issue with the life style choice of the author - What if we ALL chose to live like him? Where would the infrastructure be then that enables him to make the choice he does? I'm not ripping on him, but when he mentions the old woman recovering from a stroke in the
    • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
    • I am not a Buddhist
    • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
    • The Narrow Way: A Memoir of Coming Out, Getting Clean and Finding Buddha
    • For a Future to Be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life
    • Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness
    • Aging as a Spiritual Practice: A Contemplative Guide to Growing Older and Wiser
    • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
    • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
    • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
    • Without Buddha I Could not be a Christian
    • Zen Confidential: Confessions of a Wayward Monk
    • Being Dharma: The Essence of the Buddha's Teachings
    • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
    • My Spiritual Journey
    • The Cow in the Parking Lot: A Zen Approach to Overcoming Anger
    • Brain Health for Life: Beyond Pills, Politics, and Popular Diets
    • Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World
    To make a long story short...

I sat there in front of the Tibetan Lama, wearing my maroon robes after years of studying Buddhism and said, "With all due respect, I don't believe the Buddha ever intended for his teachings to get THIS complicated!"

My teacher looked around at all the statues of deities with multiple arms and said, "The Buddha didn't do this!" he chuckled, "The Tibetan culture did; thi
    More about Timber Hawkeye...

“Wouldn’t it be great to stop, if only for a minute on a regular basis, and reflect on how wonderful everything is?” 24 likes
    “Treat every living being, including yourself, with kindness, and the world will immediately be a better place.” 20 likes