Start by marking “Dc Universe As Written By Alan Moore” as Want to Read:
Dc Universe As Written By Alan Moore

Dc Universe As Written By Alan Moore

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,920 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
Regarded as one of the most influential writers in comics today, this volume includes some of Moore's seminal superhero stories in these classic tales, among them 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow' and 'The Killing Joke'.
Paperback
Published February 1st 2006 by Titan Books (UK) (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dc Universe As Written By Alan Moore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dc Universe As Written By Alan Moore

mark monday
Dec 10, 2012 mark monday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comikon
Green Arrow: "That's my whole point... it's like Darwinism or something... we're gradually weeding out all the just-plain-average goons, gradually improving the strain..."
superstar Alan Moore visited the DC Universe many times - and tore shit up with each visit. this graphic novel collects his takes on various iconic figures, including Superman & Batman & the Joker & Brainiac & lions & tigers & bears, oh my. he destroys and he rebuilds and then he exits - leaving everyo
Dirk Grobbelaar
Okay, so you’ve read the likes of Watchmen and V for Vendetta but you’re looking for more Alan Moore. Here’s a novelty: a collection of Moore’s DC work over the years. It’s a motley assortment, but there are some real gems here.

Included are two seminal pre-Crisis Superman stories namely For the Man who has Everything and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?. These alone are just about worth the price of admission (refer: Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? ), but there’s a l
Ryan
Jul 22, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was around 10, my uncle gave me three phonebooks each featuring the adventures of Batman, Superman, and Captain Marvel from the 30s to the 70s. I loved reading and re-reading the volumes, but the stories were meant for children and four years later, they seemed juvenile to me.

Alan Moore is one of the few writers whose work, when I read it today, makes me feel as if I am a kid picking up a superhero comic for the first time. Moore's stories are filled with the usual explosive antics, but t
Vanessa
Jul 28, 2011 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Alan Moore is well known even to people outside of the comics world and there's a simple reason for that: he's an auteur who could just as easily work in literary fiction, mystery, science fiction. He chooses to write comics. And we love him for it.

This is a collection of some of his early work for DC. And what a collection it is. Just look at the cover art. I knew Alan wrote and revitalized Swamp Thing of course and everyone who reads the Batman-verse comics, particularly Birds of Prey, knows
Sam
Apr 14, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I never read many comics as a kid. I guess I skipped them and went straight to novels. But I think I missed a lot. Friends later introduced me into to them and now I'm starting to find they're a lot more complex than I thought. Alan Moore is an excellent example of a writer that gives comics a lot more than one would except. This collection has not only his famous Killing Joke but also the near equally famous Superman ultimate ending. The others are also quite good and show a depth of character ...more
Jana
Nov 27, 2011 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-comic
Now what's to be done? Each of these stories makes me desire to read more by Alan Moore. So many graphic novels, so little time! I need to find more Batman because the last two stories: Mortal Clay and The Killing Joke, were excellent. I've never read Batman, but it hearkens me back to my childhood. Happy memories from the telly show (which was probably very lame, but I was just a kid). The Vigilante story was creepy and good. The Green Lantern stories were both excellent. If I HAD to pick a fav ...more
Sophie
Mar 30, 2009 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Not all stories are equally good, but the Superman and Batman ones are excellent. "The Killing Joke" remains one of the best Batman stories I've read, and it's still shocking and impressive and, well, good even after having read it a bunch of times. "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow" was good, but in that case my expectations were a little too high, I think; the Superman story I liked best in this collection was "For The Man Who Has Everything".
Gavin Smith
Aug 16, 2015 Gavin Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For anyone that wants to see exactly what makes Alan Moore such a special writer, this collection is the perfect starting point. While Moore's longer works usually require a fair bit of contextual knowledge to fully appreciate, the stories here show off his ability to instantly get to the heart of what makes comic book characters tick. It is a rare thing to be at once game-changing and true to a character. Average stories usually manage one or the other but great stories do both. Moore manages t ...more
StoryTellerShannon
This is a collection of stories told by Alan Moore for DC Comics from 1985 to 1988. The stories are all over the board ranging from mediocre to exceptionally good with most of them falling in above average to somewhat good.

The story titles are as follows (compliments of Wiki):

1.1"For the Man Who Has Everything"
1.2"Night Olympics"
1.3"Mogo Doesn't Socialize"
1.4"Father's Day"
1.5"Brief Lives"
1.6"A Man's World"
1.7"The Jungle Line"
1.8"Tygers"
1.9"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"
1.10"Footstep
Stephen Theaker
Jul 13, 2008 Stephen Theaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any book that contains Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel? has to get five stars, straight off the bat. It's one of the greatest comics ever written, and the finest send-off a character could have (it relates the final story of the original Superman, prior to the John Byrne reboot). Since this also includes For the Man Who Has Everything and The Killing Joke, this is one of those times when five stars aren't nearly enough.

The rest of the contents may not reach those high standards, but still,
Ako
Dec 26, 2007 Ako rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this mostly because I think I've read Alan Moore's 'essential' books: Watchmen, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, Promethea (surely there are many others but I just haven't found it).

This compilation book of short stories turned out to be as essential as his 'essential' ones. Stories like "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", "The Killing Jokes", "Mogo Doesn't Socialize", "Vigilante" are just proves that Moore was and is still a comic legend. He wrote superhero stories like t
Bryce Wilson
Apr 05, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I love Alan Moore. Snake worshipping madman though he may be, but I'd never read any of his superhero work before.

The book is an interesting view of an artist developing. And it's chock full of the metaphysical archetype busting (the still classic The Killing Joke and For The Man Who Has Everything) goodness that one comes to expect of Moore.

However, the book is padded by some more pedestrian superhero work, which means that for every story about Aliens living in a different time stream, or Bos
Bill
Apr 09, 2008 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Moore is one of the greatest writers to ever work in comics, but that doesn't mean everything is all that great, as this mixed-bag of a collection shows. Two of the Superman stories here, "For the Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" are two of the best in the character's history, and the short Green Lantern and Vega stories are top notch, too, but the rest range from not-very-special to outright kind-of-bad. And while I know people love it, I will never, ...more
Riju Ganguly
Apr 24, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid stories that boast of narratives better than most, sardonic (British?) sense of humour, tight plotting , and a far greater degree of pathos than the normal level associated with such characters. The best are of course the two big novellas: "Batman:The Killing Joke", and "Whatever Happened to The Man of Tommorrow", but overall, the stories are entertaining reads in a thoughtful manner uniquly associated with Alan Moore. Recommended.
Bradley
Sep 28, 2015 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
Great collection, although The Killing Joke may be the most overrated comic ever.
Raj
Mar 23, 2014 Raj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Moore has been one of the giants of comic books for thirty-odd years, and this book showcases some of his best work for DC Comics. Several of the stories are tender, some are funny, others are just odd, but there are a few which are disturbing. While The Killing Joke is justifiably a great story, it is very disturbing. There's the casual violence towards Barbara Gordon, what happens to Commissioner Gordon, and, for me, especially the last few panels. Excellent storytelling, but disturbing.

I
Variaciones Enrojo
Reseña de Raúl López para Zona Negativa:

Uno de los mejores guionistas de la industria del cómic – sino el mejor – es Alan Moore (Northampton, 1953). Suyas son algunas de las mayores obras maestras de la industria del cómic, y es que con aportaciones como La cosa del pantano, Watchmen, V de Vendetta, Supreme o la línea ABC ha conseguido que de forma unánime aclamemos cada nuevo trabajo suyo que se anuncie.

Aunque al pensar en su obra rápidamente acudimos a e
Angel
Sep 15, 2010 Angel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alan Moore fans
This was a bit of a mixed bag. If you are expecting the Alan Moore of works like Watchmen, then this is not it. However, if you are looking for some pretty good comics, then this will do the trick. Moore did a run with DC Comics during the 1980s, and this volume collects those works. The edition does include What Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and The Killing Joke. I read and reviewed The Killing Joke previously.

The comics vary from nice and poignant to light humor to good quality storytelling
Estefanía
Feb 17, 2016 Estefanía rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es una magnífica recopilación de los mejores cómics del gran Alan Moore. Algunos ya los había leído, otros los conocía de nombre y otros eran totalmente nuevos. Como siempre, unos son mejores que otros, pero eso no impidió que disfrutara con cada historia.

¿Lo mejor? El cómic final: "The Killing Joke", un clásico que quería leer desde hace mucho y que me ha parecido magnífico, pues conocer una posible historia de origen del Guasón es sencillamente incomparable.
Matt
Sep 01, 2011 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories were great, some were lackluster. Obviously "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" was fantastically incredible, as was (IMHO) "The Killing Joke." And I really appreciated the occasional clever piece here and there but some of the stories were just downright boring, most notably the Green Lantern ones. To be fair, some of the worse pieces were just the fault of the lame characters, but... I'd really pick and choose if I were reading this one again. There is just no good ...more
Andy
Mar 31, 2008 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is Alan Moore's collection of DC specials and one-offs, sort of the complement to Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days.

It's actually kind of hard to rate this one, because it's an anthology. If it was just "The Killing Joke" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", and the intro Superman Annual story, it'd be a four-or-five star affair. But it's also got a pile of stories that are clearly just a way for Alan Moore to get a paycheck.

But there's still a lot of good stuff in here, and it's only
D.M.
Nov 05, 2014 D.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's largely undisputed at this point that Alan Moore is or was at least one of the greatest writers comics has ever known. Added to this, but often forgotten, is that he has also been one of its most prolific creators. This collection of earlier stories he wrote comes from all around the DC 'universe,' including a few Wildstorm properties. It's a surprisingly patchy bunch, but further testimony to the chameleonic range of Moore's talents, which he's able to adapt to whatever style suits the cha ...more
Greg Brown
Moore's work is always formally brilliant, often juggling parallel stories and juxtaposing words in one scene against images from another. Yet as far as emotional content goes, most of these standalone stories fall flat.

Granted, there are a few gems here—"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" is outstanding, and possibly the best Superman story outside of All-Star Superman. "The Killing Joke" was a tremendously influential take on the Joker, though for my money The Dark Knight did it one be
Ruth
Aug 04, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A collection of stories with no particular rhyme or uniting factor other than their author. All worth reading, though some are better than others. My favorites were "Mortal Clay" and "Brief Lives." "Father's Day" was definitely the most messed up, although "A Man's World" was an excellent disturbing short story.

I should add that my copy appears to be a different edition from some listed here. Most noticeably, it does not have "The Killing Joke."
Amber
Oct 09, 2009 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-and-tpbs
A collection of some of Alan Moore`s best DC work - supposedly - this is a fairly thick trade. A few of the stories are great - some Green Lantern Corps anecdotes and one Batman story really stand out. But they`re surrounded by some of dull Superman tales, and a disturbing Vigilante story that is worrisome and depressing. This collection is good about 50% of the time, and forgettable the rest. ...more
Davide Genco
Jan 22, 2014 Davide Genco rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Sono un grande fan di Alan Moore ma assolutamente poco assiduo frequentatore del DC Universe: questo volume mi è sembrata una bella scorciatoia per "acculturarmi" un po' anche sulla sponda opposta del fumetto supereroistico che mi ha cresciuto (Marvel). Bene, direi che Killing Joke è IL capolavoro e si sapeva (l'avevo già letto - Nolan ha letteralmente attinto da lì per la splendida scena del confronto in prigione ne Il cavaliere oscuro), mentre tutto il resto sono racconti autoconclusivi senza ...more
Pturingan
May 05, 2010 Pturingan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of Alan Moore stories. If I were to rate all the stories individually, most of them would get 5 stars also. The only so-so ones for me were the Superman/Swamp Thing team-up, the Vigilante two-part story and the Green Arrow story. The Superman stories, the Green Lantern Corps stories and the Vega short stories were particularly outstanding.
Domingo
Jun 03, 2015 Domingo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This collection of stories written by Alan Moore for DC Comics through the years ('85-'98) is a fantastic read. His work for DC in the 1980s remains the foundation for a huge part of the lore undelying many modern takes on these characters, including my favorite, Green Lantern. Which is why I was directed toward this collection when beginning my read-through of Geoff John's Green Lantern run.
Alan's writing is strong, thought-provoking, and most importantly, insanely fun.
The only reason I'm not g
Matt Thomas
Jun 29, 2011 Matt Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Batman and other comics for a while but never really looked at the names of those responsible. This is an excellent collection from an excellent writer: stories that are subtle, entertaining, and thought provoking.
Hollis
Jul 11, 2009 Hollis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-fiction
I'm not a huge fan of this kind of 80s artwork that composes this book, but there's no doubt that Moore is one of the best writers in the comics industry and this collection has plenty of examples to prove that.
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory, Vol. 2
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • DC: The New Frontier, Vol. 2
  • StormWatch, Vol. 4: A Finer World
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor
More about Alan Moore...

“I am but a stranger ... as we all are. Lonely inside our separate skins, we cannot know each others pain and must bear our own in solitude. For my part, I have found that walking soothes it; and that, given luck, sometimes we find one to walk besides us ... at least for a little way.” 41 likes