Start by marking “Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth” as Want to Read:
Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth

Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Showing the deep connection between our present ecological crisis and our lack of awareness of the sacred nature of creation, this series of essays from spiritual and environmental leaders around the world shows how humanity can transform its relationship with the Earth. Combining the thoughts and beliefs from a diverse range of essayists, this collection highlights the cu ...more
Published July 1st 2013 by The Golden Sufi Center (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Ecology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Ecology

Wil
This is certainly the most powerful book I have read in years and one that I hope to continue reading for the rest of my life.

Spiritual Ecology is a collection of essays written by religious/spiritual and environmental leaders. I was blown away by the selection of authors that were chosen for this book and the insight that each of them shared. Each essay touches upon ecology in a unique, inspiring way.

I originally bought this book because I was interested in Thich Nhat Hanh, who wrote a great
Florence Millo
Don't you love it when a book puts into words what you have felt but couldn't articulate? That is what this book did for me-- things I had pondered and felt but couldn't quite turn into words.
This is a collection of essays by several thoughtful, spiritual people writing from a variety of perspectives. All point toward a lack spiritual groundedness at the core of the ecological devastation we are currently participating in.
It is not a book to be read in one easy sitting but should be read slowl
Guttersnipe Das
If you arrive suddenly in a foreign city, a city where you do not know the landmarks and do not speak the language, you may find yourself urgently in need a guide. In the same way, this book is vitally necessary, now that we find ourselves in a changed and unfamiliar world. If we wish to survive as a civilization, we need to find new paths - and we need to find them quickly. You would do well to call in sick to work - and stay home to read this.

A few of the texts here I'd found previously, inclu
Stephen
There could be so much said for this collection of truly didactic and spiritual voices not only raising a heightened awareness of our increasingly sickened planet, but also rallying a call to moral arms for each and every one of us to DO SOMETHING about it, by communing with nature, appreciating the universal spirituality of life on both micro and macro levels, and by waylaying the vices of consumerism, myopic narcissism, wanton waste, ruination, and insatiable greed, for the greater good of the ...more
David Salmon
Spiritual Ecology is a collection of essays illustrating humanities past relationships with the Earth and the current issues our relationship faces. It is beautiful, insightful and inspiring to read. Not only does it motivate you to deepen your connection to the land, it also keeps you grounded. Each writer comes from a unique background and shares their understanding of spiritual ecology in a beautiful way.
Justin
This is an extraordinary compilation of short essays that successfully updates the concept of deep ecology. The well chosen authors offer a diversity of perspectives that run the entire imaginable gamut. I am especially impressed with this book because the authors are not afraid to boldly state and explore the vital spiritual dimension of ecology.

As Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee says, “In only relating to our planet from a physical perspective, much of the ecological movement perpetuates the concept of
Maggie
Fantastic--essays by philosophers, monks, ecologists, etc. about why we should care about conservation, global climate change, and other environmental crises.
Lazysmurf
I thought this would have some interesting and unique ideas about communicating about climate change but it's the same old stuff I've read elsewhere.
Ilona
This book is so refreshing, so empowering, so magic-revealing and so human meaning-making. If your response to the environmental challenges we face (yes, they *are* serious and quite painful to digest) is to tune out and weep as if all is already lost, this book may buy you some hope.

More of us putting its concepts to practice may also buy Gaia (and all of her life forms) more time.

Catherine Harnden Howell
A must read ... MUST!!!
Dana
A stirring collection of essays discussing the calamity of climate change. Because of our spiritual connection to the earth, we suffer as Gaia suffers.
Sally
A fine, varied selection of essays embodying many different approaches and viewpoints, all emphasizing that people need to take a deeper view of the earth to be motivated to stop its destruction and heal the damage human beings continue to do. Overall, a hopeful book.
Sara
This book is a wake up call that we all need to experience!
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Felicity
Felicity marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Paige
Paige is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Juliana Pergega
Juliana Pergega marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Cole Bug
Cole Bug marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Insight Environme...: Discussion Questions 6 14 Feb 26, 2015 08:40PM
Insight Environme...: Discussion --Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth 1 7 Aug 27, 2013 01:27PM
  • Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind
  • Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga
  • The Energies of Love: Using Energy Medicine to Keep Your Relationship Thriving
  • Original Wisdom: Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing
  • Infinite Life
  • Soulcraft: Crossing into the Mysteries of Nature and Psyche
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • The Complete Book of Chakra Healing: Activate the Transformative Power of Your Energy Centers
  • The Systems View of Life: A Unifying Vision
  • The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice
  • The New Feminine Brain: Developing Your Intuitive Genius
  • The Four Desires: Creating a Life of Purpose, Happiness, Prosperity, and Freedom
  • Paradise in Plain Sight: Lessons from a Zen Garden
  • Artemis: The Indomitable Spirit in Everywoman
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • Waking, Dreaming, Being: Self and Consciousness in Neuroscience, Meditation, and Philosophy
  • The Shambhala Principle: Discovering Humanity's Hidden Treasure
  • Polishing the Mirror: How to Live from Your Spiritual Heart
Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee is a Sufi mystic.

Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee (born 1953, London) is a Sufi mystic and lineage successor in the Naqshbandiyya-Mujaddidiyya Sufi Order. He is an extensive lecturer and author of several books about Sufism, mysticism, dreamwork and spirituality.

:: History
Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee was born in London in 1953. He began following the Naqshbandiyya-Mujaddidiyya Sufi path at the
More about Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee...
Sufism: The Transformation of the Heart Love Is a Fire: The Sufi's Mystical Journey Home Prayer of the Heart in Christian and Sufi Mysticism Catching the Thread: Sufism, Dreamwork, and Jungian Psychology The Return of the Feminine and the World Soul

“The world is not a problem to be solved; it is a living being to which we belong. The world is part of our own self and we are a part of its suffering wholeness. Until we go to the root of our image of separateness, there can be no healing. And the deepest part of our separateness from creation lies in our forgetfulness of its sacred nature, which is also our own sacred nature.” 2 likes