Start by marking “Brilliant Devices (Magnificent Devices #4)” as Want to Read:
Brilliant Devices (Magnificent Devices #4)

Brilliant Devices (Magnificent Devices #4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,734 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
Book four in the Magnificent Devices steampunk series! A lady of resources has the power to change the world-if she can stay alive long enough to do it. Lady Claire Trevelyan had been looking forward to glittering balls, congenial society, and relief from pursuit during her stay with Lord and Lady Dunsmuir in the Canadas. Well, perhaps not entirely. Being pursued by a hand ...more
Published February 2013 by MoonshellBooks

To ask other readers questions about Brilliant Devices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brilliant Devices

Laura Martinelli
Well.

You know how I keep saying that I really don’t know what to expect from this series? Because every time that I think “Oh, here’s what the predictable route is going to be for the next book,” there’s suddenly a massive plot shift with the next volume and I’m sitting there going “Oh my God, this is so much better than what I thought it would be.” This is kind of the opposite version of that—it’s not how I thought that the story was going to move along, but this didn’t really gel with me compl
Beth
This book is like a breath of clean air, refreshing, riveting and completely unsoiled and wholesome. Yes, wholesome. There is romantic tension, boy is there romantic tension but it’s purely swoon worthy romance. This is a story I would happily share with my 14 year old daughter, but it is sure to grip even the loyal steampunk fans.

The story is filled with gadgetry but to my utter elation it is also packed with magnificent heroines that are quick thinking, witty, motivated, self sacrificing, mor
Ian
Dec 17, 2014 Ian rated it liked it
Lady Claire returns for the fourth instalment in the Magnificent Devices series. In this episode she is joined by a brash American inventor, Alice Chalmers. As they journey to Canada to rejoin the Dunsmuirs they find themselves at the centre of a plot to assassinate none other than Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin. Thwarting the assassination attempt and preventing a war will just about fill up a book.

I quite enjoy a bit of Steam Punk. That said, I find some of it harder to digest but this whole se
Rachel
Feb 27, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
This book is definitely on the level with the first book in the series, Lady of Devices. SO much character development!! I especially enjoyed seeing the Mopsies growing into strong young ladies, wise beyond their years, and coming to true sense of family with Claire.

We last left Lady Claire in quite a pickle at the end of Book 3. It was the cliff-hanger of all cliff-hangers for this series. This novel finds Lady Claire regrouping with her Flock, including it's true avian member, the adventurous
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
Just waiting for the moment this becomes available for order on Amazon! After the ending of Magnificent Devices and the excerpt for Brilliant Devices- cannot wait! Very soon....
Fangs for the Fantasy
Mar 05, 2013 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it really liked it
Lady Claire is back and rumours of her demise are greatly exaggerated; though he reappearance causes quite a shock for Lord and Lady Dunsmuirs, especially since this is the second time Claire has been presumed dead. Reunited with her flock, Claire can return to her original plan, visiting Edmonton with the Dunsmuirs, seeing their holdings and making plans for the future – especially since she no longer has the threat of forced marriage being held over her.

Of course, things can’t be that easy. A
Noura
Jun 09, 2015 Noura rated it it was amazing
Wow.....what a great fantastical adventure!

Claire was rescued from the train wreck. Lord James is definitely out of the picture (kind of sad the way he's out of the equation but he is quite a sneaky villain) Will Andrew finally confess his feelings? Seems like there's never a good moment and when there is, he's just not quick enough. Sheeeesh!
We've got a new guy who's also vying for Claire, if only she shows more interest....and Andrew is distracted with Alice when looks all pretty for the part
Kim
Mar 09, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
I will address the four books as a whole.

Before I even discuss anything else, I would first like to state my appreciation for the sheer amount of research that must have gone into these books. The prose is so fitting for the time period, even down to the spelling of certain words and the terminology used. I really gravitate toward attention to detail like that, so kudos to the author.

Continuing in the vein of the prose, I really liked how it switched between the perspectives of several character
Lynn Green
Mar 02, 2013 Lynn Green rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk, fantasy
Alternative history? Check
Steam driven machines? Check
Clockwork devices? Check
Use of human level engineering? CheckTrevelyan
Young characters having to get old characters out of trouble? Check
A tale of high adventure, dark conspiracies, and hairbreath escapes? Check

"Brilliant Devices", the 4th episode in Shelley Adina's "Magnificent Devices" stories about the adventures of Lady Claire Trevelyan has all of the elements of a great steampunk tale, and more.

This time Claire travels from the American
Starla Huchton
May 12, 2014 Starla Huchton rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, ya
I was hooked on this series a few years back, but hadn't gotten around to reading this one until just now. I really loved this series, but, alas, I think it will be my last foray into this world.

I was fully engrossed in the story, but two things completely ruined it for me.

1) the sudden OMG I LOVE YOU from Captain Hollys (whom I barely remembered from the other books) to Claire.

2) the ridiculous non-resolution to the romance at the end. A letter? Really? That's it, huh? Okay. We're done here.

And
Vincent Bernhardt
Jun 10, 2013 Vincent Bernhardt rated it it was amazing
Probably the best of the series!

There are four books in Adina's Magnificent Devices Series, all set with Claire as the main character in a steampunk world. I really didn't know I'd like steampunk this much! The four books are: Lady of Devices, Her Own Devices, Magnificent Devices, and Brilliant Devices.

In Brilliant Devices all the threads come together at the end (somewhat abruptly) and everything reaches a satisfying conclusion. Which made me sad, because I wanted more.

Here's the funny thing. I
Raquel
Mar 17, 2013 Raquel rated it it was ok
Shelves: strong-female
I am one of those unfortunate souls who has a hard time abandoning a book or series. Even if I'm not loving it, I don't like leaving it all hanging.

So uhg, I was ready for this series to end one book ago. All have abrupt "to be continued" style endings which feel cheap to me. This book had some interesting new plots, but the story just got cumbersome to me. Each book is longer than the last, partly because there are so many characters now involved, more added in each book with very few laid to r
Kristin
Apr 03, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-childrens
Just a quick note that the four stars only applies if you read all four (so far) books in the series. These four books form the story of Claire Trevelyan, the unexpected Lady of Devices, who transforms from schoolroom young lady to dashing steampunk heroine over the course of these books. Much in the style of Gail Carriger, this is an alternative Victorian world, filled with steam-powered gadgets, overly polite society figures, and a young woman determined to do much more than her mother's expec ...more
Karen Patterson
Jul 28, 2014 Karen Patterson rated it it was amazing
After how Book 3 ended, you would think Claire and company would get a small reprieve or much-needed rest, but there doesn’t appear to be much down time for the traveling entourage in book 4. Once again, they are being shot at and embroiled in yet more mysteries, treachery and deceit! As always, the Mopsie twins and Rosie, the ever-present chicken, provide much comic relief. Another winner!
Suz
Dec 03, 2015 Suz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really quite good. It ended the original arc, I think, and the books going forward take up with the younger girls all grown up.

I'd like to finish the series, I think.
J.L. Dobias
Oct 17, 2013 J.L. Dobias rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: SFF and Steampunk fans
Shelves: book-shelf-11
Magnificent Devices 4-book Bundle by Shelley Adina

I initially obtained the first book Lady of Devices free and thoroughly enjoyed the story and the characters to the point of not being able to pass up the great bargain of the 4 book bundle. I thought if they were even only half as well done as the first I couldn't go wrong. I set them aside for a bit before getting to them, but when I started I couldn't put the whole group down until I finished.

Lady Claire or Claire Trevelyan daughter of Viscoun
Wealhtheow
When the series began, Lady Claire was a naive girl just leaving finishing school. Her biggest concerns were getting her sole real friend invited to her graduation party and convincing her parents to let her go to university. But then her father was ruined. Claire was left with just her stubborn will, her wits, and the rudiments of chemistry and engineering she managed to pick up from home economics class and her father's mechanic, respectively. From these she created the beginnings of a crimina ...more
Lise
Mar 21, 2014 Lise rated it really liked it
I admit it. The whole "Magnificent Devices" serial sent me off on tangents of exploration causing me to spend about as much time exploring as I did reading the novels. I become overwhelmed by curiosity when I sit down to write some reviews and find that I "just have to" see what I can dig up about whatever it is that sets me off. Below are some more links.

Did you know that there was actually a Dunsmuir that was the richest man in Canada at the time Adina Shelley placed the Earl of Dunsmuir there
Sherita
Jan 04, 2017 Sherita rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I have enjoyed this series and this fantasy world. i have something of a soft spot for Lady Claire and her charges.
Serena
Sep 17, 2015 Serena rated it it was ok
Is it just me, or is the science in this a bit airy-fairy? I'm not a big reader of the steam-punk culture, but the gadgets and machinery in this world seems bordering on magical.

Also I found it a very big stretch to have Claire re-rig the automatons into the airship and control it by voice command all under duress and supposedly completed in a few hours.
Throughout the whole series, it was stated time and time again that Claire was a brilliant engineer. But apart from being able to mix up a few
Wendy Cantu

If you’re a fan of the series, you must read it. If you haven’t read the series, start it now

Not since the end of Gail Carriager’s Parasol Protectorate series have I been so totally bummed a series was over. And by bummed, I mean I might’ve cried. Just a little bit. And then, a day later, am still moping around and wondering if I can raise enough money to bribe Adina into writing another Claire-based story (there will be other stories based on other characters, like the Mopsies). Sadly, my cou
Rosemarie
Aug 10, 2013 Rosemarie rated it it was amazing
This is Book Four in the series and picks up where Book Three left off. Claire is still in the US and travels to "the Canadas" for this adventure. There is a lot of time spent at an airfield and aboard the various air ships involved.

I have to admit that I sort of miss the setting of the first two books. Claire as a Lady gang leader and head of the house where the street kids lived had a certain kind of charm for me. These last two books have been a bit more like westerns/detective type stories.

B
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I don’t know… I was really excited with this series but since Claire decided to go off to the Americas in pursuit of Lord James I can’t get myself to like the series as much as I used to. I just didn’t see it going in that direction.

To say the truth, I didn’t like the setting very much here. Well, I didn’t like the whole Wild Wild West setting of the last instalment and now Claire is off to the Canadas, which I don’t find very exciting either. As far as plot development is concerned, I don’t kn
LadyCroft86
Dec 07, 2015 LadyCroft86 rated it liked it
Not nearly as good or as exciting as the last book in the series, this one takes up right where the other one left off. Again, it didn't seem like a whole lot happened in this book, like the others except for Magnificent Devices.
The characters are the same as they have been, not much growth for any of them. Alice and Claire are so similar that it was easy to get them confused. Andrew Malvern is not that memorable as a love interest and then there is the introduction of Captain Hollys as anothe
Vicky Marie
Dec 26, 2014 Vicky Marie rated it really liked it
The series is over, or at least Claire's story is. I really enjoyed the Magnificent Devices series. I loved the characters, the story, the writing, the action. It was a great slice of the steampunk genre. I gave all novels 5 stars... except this one.

The issue with Brilliant Devices was the love square. It confused me to be honest. There was no reason to it at all, and it wasn't resolved. Rather, the other love interests were taken away with a little thing called plot device, (view spoiler)
Denise
Jan 19, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2016
Book four picks up right where book three left off: With the Dunsmuirs finally continuing their so rudely interrupted journey to Canada on the Lady Lucy and Claire, Andrew and the children following them on Alice's Stalwart Lass. Arrived and reunited in Edmonton, a high society function introduces Claire and Alice to Count von Zeppelin, whom both admire - and who promptly almost falls victim to an assassination attempt in their company. On top of that, there is sabotage in the Dunsmuirs' diamond ...more
Mailee Pyper
Feb 05, 2015 Mailee Pyper rated it liked it
Bah! I almost want to give this book a two star rating, but I did like it...despite some of the things about it that I hated. For one thing this author does not know how to tie up loose ends at the conclusion of a novel. This is probably because the series continues to go on, but you can still have closure while leaving things open for more. Especially as this is the final book predominantly from Claire's viewpoint.

My rating on this one is kind of for the whole Claire quartet. There were things
Melody
May 07, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
I was a little disappointed in the last two books of this series. First the author jumped in with scenes from a new character's viewpoint. This is somewhat distracting from the main line of the story. Also further relationship triangles gum up the romance. Both book 3 Magnificent Devices and book 4 Brilliant Devices ended too abruptly and without a real sense of closure. She needed a reunion scene in 3 and a farewell scene in 4. Also the sudden conclusions of each book felt forced as far as the ...more
Anne Odom
Jul 27, 2013 Anne Odom rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk
I accidentally returned this book to the friend who loaned it to me, then remembered a couple of days later that I didn't actually finish it.

What I liked:
* Female lead has grown into a strong character with quite a backbone
* World continues to be creatively depicted with nice steampunk flair.

What I didn't like:
* Like the 3rd installment, this story seems to wander off with no real direction.
* I was surprised by the change in romantic interest. All signs pointed one direction, then things seemed
Sandra
Feb 07, 2013 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, own-it
I liked some parts but not others. The adventure stuff was good but the romance stuff let the story down. Also I didn't like the focus on Alice. Again her character is likeable enough but she has come out of nowhere to have as much prominence in the story as Claire and it seems to me as if Claire and Alice are quite interchangeable now (seems so to Andrew also). If you want to write a story about Alice - write one, don't hijack Claire's story to do it. I felt the 2 love triangles (Claire, Andrew ...more
Diamond Mine Location 1 6 Jan 16, 2014 08:48PM
  • Peacemaker (The Flash Gold Chronicles, #3)
  • Cards & Caravans (Gaslight Chronicles, #5)
  • A Study in Ashes (The Baskerville Affair, #3)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • The Return of the Discontinued Man (Burton & Swinburne, #5)
Shelley Adina is the author of 24 novels published by Harlequin, Warner, and Hachette, and a dozen more published by Moonshell Books, Inc., her own independent press. She writes steampunk and contemporary romance as Shelley Adina, and as Adina Senft, writes Amish women’s fiction. She holds an MFA in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University in Pennsylvania, where she teaches as adjunct fa ...more
More about Shelley Adina...

Magnificent Devices (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lady of Devices (Magnificent Devices, #1)
  • Her Own Devices (Magnificent Devices, #2)
  • Magnificent Devices (Magnificent Devices #3)
  • A Lady of Resources (Magnificent Devices, #5)
  • A Lady of Spirit (Magnificent Devices, #6)
  • A Lady of Integrity (Magnificent Devices, #7)
  • A Gentleman of Means (Magnificent Devices, #8)
  • Devices Brightly Shining (Magnificent Devices, #9)
  • Fields of Air (Magnificent Devices, #10)
  • Fields of Iron (Magnificent Devices, #11)