Start by marking “Hating Heidi Foster” as Want to Read:
Hating Heidi Foster

Hating Heidi Foster

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Mae McBride and Heidi Foster were the very best of friends. Tied at the hip from early elementary school, their relationship was the stuff of storybooks, legendary even, in the minds of their high school classmates.

Unshakable.

That is, until Mae's father died while saving Heidi's life. When Mae finds out, she blames Heidi. She blames her father for putting Heidi ahead of h
Published October 25th 2012 by Alluvion Press (first published October 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hating Heidi Foster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hating Heidi Foster

Steve Piacente
Nov 05, 2012 Steve Piacente rated it it was amazing
Had he gone a different route, Jeffrey Blount would have made a terrific heart surgeon. Hating Heidi Foster reveals his mastery of the subject, exploring with sensitive, yet razor-sharp precision why our hearts beat as they do, how quickly they can be damaged, and how, with proper care, they can be repaired.

This is a touching and emotional story written for young adults that could have easily lapsed into sentimentality. Instead, Blount realistically assesses and helps us process the anger Mae Mc
Sheila

Forgiveness is rarely easy, and anger can feel like the only thing that’s real when the world falls apart. At least, that’s how it seems to Heidi’s friend Mae who tells her story in Jeffrey Blount’s Hating Heidi Foster. Fourteen-year-old Mae has just lost her father, and it’s all Heidi’s fault. Somehow in the course of being Mae’s best friend Heidi must have made Mae’s father love her more than Mae. That has to be it, because Mae's Dad saved Heid and now Mae and her mother are all alone.

Grandpar
Kay
Jan 03, 2013 Kay rated it it was amazing
I won this book on LibraryThing. It was given in exchange for an honest review. I do not know the author. All opinions given are my own.

I absolutely LOVED this book!!! 5 stars all the way.

The book is told through the eyes of fourteen year old Mae McBride whose father is killed in a fire while trying to save her best friend Heidi Foster. Before the fire, Mae and Heidi are the very best of friends - inseparable. After the fire, Mae is consumed with hatred toward Heidi and blames her for her father
NebraskaIcebergs
Jan 12, 2013 NebraskaIcebergs rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Jeffrey Blount was inspired to write Hating Heidi Foster after observing a shared moment between his daughter and her best friend. Yet the theme of friendship is the weakest part of his book. Instead, Hating Heidi Foster excels in its portrayal of family, loss, and grief. This is a gentle and sometimes slow-paced story of how Mae loves her dad, hurts when she loses him, and eventually finds peace.

The back cover of Hating Heidi Foster tells readers that Mae and Heidi were the best of friends: “Th
Grady
Dec 21, 2012 Grady rated it it was amazing
The Phases of Grieving made more poignant through a teenager's view

Jeffrey Blount is a successful television writer and director and he brings those skills to this, his first novel. He relates the story of Mae, a fourteen year old girl who is living the good life with her closest friend Heidi - a bond between two girls that seemed implacable until a cruel turn of events changes everything.

Mae's beloved father responds to an emergency - a fire in which Heidi is trapped and Mae's father rescues he
Jodie
Apr 11, 2013 Jodie rated it it was amazing
'Staring into the darkness, I wondered, is this how we will forever remember him? Not as the man we loved, but as the man who destroyed so many lives while trying to save just one.'

During the majority of this book I had tears streaming down my cheeks. Literally. Bucketloads of them. I'm still recovering from the sobs that shook my whole body. Everyone needs to read this.

This short story was so real & emotional. Watching the little girl, Mae, go through the stages of grief were just heartbrea
Christine Nolfi
Nov 21, 2012 Christine Nolfi rated it it was amazing
From the first beautifully rendered sentences, Hating Heidi Foster sweeps the reader into the horrifically altered world of fourteen-year-old Mae, a grieving adolescent who has just lost her father in a fire. The agony is compounded by the particulars of her father’s death, a heroic giving of his own life to rescue Mae’s closest friend, Heidi.

Written with a pitch perfect sense of how a child moves from grief to healing, the novel takes the reader through the months of sorrow, hate and rage that
Delicious Strawberry
Jan 25, 2013 Delicious Strawberry rated it really liked it
For a novella, this impressed me. At first I was a bit uncertain, because this book starts after the incident that spurs Mae's hatred for Heidi Foster - her father dying when rescuing Heidi - but my questions were answered in due time. Mae's feelings are very real, and the author wrote them well. I could FEEL her rage at Heidi and her frustration when she saw other people - including their mutual friends - comforting Heidi, and how betrayed she felt by that, and also by her father.

For a novella,
Heather
Dec 31, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
This is a very fast read, and held my interest throughout. I can’t say I was particularly fond of Mae, but losing one’s father right before entering high school isn’t easy. No doubt it affected her personality in ways one might never expect. I did feel some of the dialogue sounded much too mature for freshmen in high school – even those who had horrible events mature them faster than their peers. And those peers often also spoke a bit more maturely than one would expect. Still, it’s an interesti ...more
Britney
Dec 11, 2012 Britney rated it really liked it
Hating Heidi Foster is a very endearing and heart wrenching story filled with pain, anger, and the miracle of forgiveness. The story is centered around fourteen year old Mae, who is struggling to come to terms with the events that led to her father's death. Afterall, how do you forgive your father for dying while saving your best friend? And how could you possibly forgive that best friend for being the reason your father is gone?

The author does a great job of showing Mae's anger and resentment t
Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)
What a powerful read! I found the summary so intriguing that I knew I had to read this one. Consider how you'd feel if your father died saving your best friend---what would you do? Could you still be friends, knowing that your friend is the reason your father is dead? Adding another layer of complexity is the fact that these girls are in high school, which is a hard enough time to live through without any traumatic events.

I was not expecting to be so moved while reading Hating Heidi Foster, esp
Kathleen Kelly
Jan 23, 2013 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Hating Heidi Foster is a bittersweet novel about teenager Mae McBride who has lost her father when he died trying to save her best friend Heidi Foster in a fire. Mae is consumed with grief and hatred for Heidi. Not understanding why her father would put himself in danger like he did is so overwhelming to Mae that she shuns all her friends and is consumed with her hatred for Heidi. Heidi on the other hand is also grieving, grieving the loss of a man who was like a father to her and also for the l ...more
Haley Mathiot
Jan 04, 2013 Haley Mathiot rated it it was ok
Hating Heidi Foster is about a young 14-year-old girl named Mae whose father dies while saving her childhood friend, Heidi. I was expecting a sweet, powerful, poignant novel about forgiveness and sacrifice. Instead I got something else, and really, I'm not even sure what it was, because I quit halfway through. Here is why I didn't bother finishing it.

Jeffrey Blount, I'm sorry, but you're not a good writer. You had a great idea for a novel and it had a very high concept and so much potential but
Rebecca Scaglione
May 09, 2013 Rebecca Scaglione rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the author, Jeffrey Blount, in exchange for a fair and honest review.

At the Kensington Day of the Book Festival, I was intrigued by the title of an author’s book, Hating Heidi Foster. When I looked closer, I noticed actual photographs of two girls. How did these two things match up?

Jeffrey Blount, the author of Hating Heidi Foster, was kind enough to explain. He had witnessed a touching moment between his daughter and her best friend, and was inspired to write a book a
Kara
Jan 29, 2013 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Wins:
What you HAVE to understand about this book is the fact that it isn't a lavish tale. It doesn't go into deep description or characterize all that much. What it does is highlight the importance of it's message. That message: The importance of friendship.
This book is good in the way that it defines real grief. The blind rage we get when someone passes, the guilt when someone sacrifices for us, the hole that a person can leave in our life.
It was fairly quick read. It's only about one-hundred
Moze (SmartFolksRead)
Loss is never an easy thing to deal with, but for Mae the loss of her father comes coupled with the loss of her best friend as well. No, Heidi Foster is not dead, but the day Mae’s father rushed into Heidi’s burning house to save her and never walked out again Heidi died to Mae. This novel explores the stages of grief through the eyes of a freshman girl who never expected to have to say goodbye to the father she loves so much.

This novel was five stars for me mostly because of how it made me feel
Felicia Chien
Dec 09, 2012 Felicia Chien rated it really liked it
Book: Hating Heidi Foster by Jeffrey Blount
Pages: 105
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Sent from Alluvion Press

Short Synopsis: Mae is consumed with grief from losing her father who died while trying to save Heidi's life.

My Thoughts: A deep, and gripping tale of loss and acceptance, Hating Heidi Foster was a very emotional read.

Teena in Toronto
Dec 18, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
When the story begins, fourteen-year-old Mae McBride's father has just died in a fire saving Mae's best friend, Heidi. As such, Mae can't help but feel anger and hatred towards Heidi. In Mae's mind, it's Heidi's fault that her father is dead ... her father died choosing Heidi over his wife and daughter.

At school, everyone seems to be concerned about Heidi and taking her side. This angers Mae even more so she turns her back on all her friends and becomes "the Tragic One". The only ones she feels
Marilyn
Dec 06, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Book Review: Hating Heidi Foster
Author: Jeffery Blount

Mae McBride and Heidi Foster are BFF’s. Their friendship is bound together by love and loyalty, and is truly a union made in heaven. That is until one day when a terrible fire breaks out in Heidi’s home and Mae’s dad is killed while trying to rescue Heidi from the inferno.

It is at this point in the book that everyone’s life changes. Mae feels abandoned by her dad and angry that he chose to risk his life to save her friend. Mae’s collapsed wo
Tina Peterson
Jan 19, 2013 Tina Peterson rated it it was amazing
I feel it's beneficial for all to read this wonderful book.

It's deep, personal, full of passion ~ and sorrow. Having never lost anyone close to me I can't imagine the pain and devastation that Mae goes through losing her father. Jeffrey Blount is a very accomplished writer and fully able to describe the pain and loneliness both girls feel while coping with a man who has been a huge part of each of their lives. I loved how he stretched the story to include Heidi who is Mae's best friend and the r
Jennifer (JC-S)
Dec 06, 2012 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
‘It was Heidi Foster or Mae McBride. No sitting on the fence allowed.’

Mae McBride is standing by the river with her grandfather while her mother, waist deep in the river is sobbing. Renata McBride has just committed her husband’s ashes to the river, and is watching them float away. Mae is thinking about the death of her father, and the cause of his death. Mae and Heidi Foster have been best friends since second grade, but not anymore. Mae blames Heidi for her father Eddie’s death. She hates Heid
Sanchi
Jan 07, 2013 Sanchi rated it really liked it
I received this book from librarythings early reviewers club giveaways. I was nervous about the book at first because it looks like a very quick read and was afraid there wouldn't be enough story, but was pleasently surprised by how much story there actually was. The main characters name is Mae and the title of the book Heidi Foster is also a main character in the book, and the book starts out with a lot of emotion when there was a tragic fire that took the life of Mae's father, and a lot of ang ...more
Lauren Monsey Nagel
Mar 13, 2013 Lauren Monsey Nagel rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
This is one I really thought was going to be a good read. I was wrong. Well to begin with it's very evident that Jeffrey Blount should not try write a book in the character of a young girl. It didn't work for me. It didn't feel comfortable or even believable to read. It was an awkward feeling as I read each page. The thing about it is that the plot of the story was interesting, it could have been written better maybe by a woman perhaps. I'm not real sure but reading this felt like it was at age ...more
Taffy
Dec 21, 2012 Taffy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
First line:

"I've never been very good with faces."

If you have ever lost someone close to you, this book might be helpful for you. Mae McBride has lost her father in a tragic fire. Her father is a hero, saving her best friend, Heidi but the pain of losing her father sends Mae into a depression that she takes out on everyone around her, including Heidi. How Mae learns to deal with her grief is told in this story by Jeffrey Blount.

This is a short and sweet story, easily read in one setting.

This is
Michele
Jul 08, 2015 Michele rated it really liked it
This book is about relationships, love, forgiveness, and grief. Mir is written through the eyes of Mae McBride and how she has changed since the loss of her father. Mae and Heidi were best friends growing up, so when Heidi's house caught fire, Mae's father, Eddie, doesn't hesitate risking his life to save Heidi.
Lori
Nov 25, 2014 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
An easy read and an interesting story that reminds us that we often forget, when we are suffering a loss or setback in our own life, that those around us might be suffering as well. Likewise, we often place blame where it doesn't belong when we are in the throes of deep grief or loss. My criticism of this story is that the voice of Mae, the narrator and protagonist, doesn't ring true for me as a fourteen year old girl. I will be sharing this book with a few YA readers I know to see how they feel ...more
Diana
Feb 15, 2013 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
It's rare for me to find a YA book like this, they usually feel superficial or unrealistic especially the more realistic they try to make them. And this seemed real, for all I know I really could have been reading a teenage girls diary.

A lot of people might not have liked Mae, but for a 14 year old dealing with loss I'm kind of surprised she didn't lose herself more.
Mae not only lost her father but she lost her best friend and maybe she didn't care but she was still left alone because of her h
Marilyn Belsham
Though I had a tear in my eye at the end, I was still left with the niggling thought that this really could have been a heart-wrencher had the book shown us just how close Mae and Heidi are before they are torn apart. We are told that they were best friends, but showing is worth more than words and I felt ambivalent about the destruction of the friendship for almost the entire book. Considering the book is only 105 pages, some more time on developing the characters would not be wasted time.
Jan 26, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
I was fortunate enough to obtain an autographed copy thru Library Thing. This book was a unique look at a teenager's grief through the eyes of a young girl named Mae Mc Bride, whose father passed while saving her best friend Heidi Foster. This tears their relationship apart. I did not care for some of the dialogue in the book, it seemed not really realistic for a teenager, but aside from that, it was a pretty good book.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
A quick read about how the power of hatred can take you down a dark and lonely road and how learning the truth and accepting the circumstances leads to finding your way back into being present in your life and rediscovering the friendships you left behind. I enjoyed this novel and give it 4 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jeffrey is a multiple award-winning author. He is also an Emmy award-winning television director and is an award recipient for multiple documentary script projects. Born and raised in Smithfield, Virginia, he now lives in Washington, DC and is married to Jeanne Meserve, former ABC News correspondent and former CNN anchor and correspondent. They have a daughter, Julia and a son, Jake.
More about Jeffrey Blount...

“It's funny, you know. The times that seem so trivial end up meaning so much.” 3 likes
“But my relationship with my father was now ashes on the river and I felt myself becoming jealous of Mummy, because as of that day, I would never be a daddy's girl again.” 1 likes