Start by marking “The Nothingness of Ben” as Want to Read:
The Nothingness of Ben

The Nothingness of Ben

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,502 Ratings  ·  516 Reviews
Ben Walsh is well on his way to becoming one of Manhattan’s top litigators, with a gorgeous boyfriend and friends on the A-list. His life is perfect until he gets a phone call that brings it all crashing down: a car accident takes his parents, and now he must return to Austin to raise three teenage brothers he barely knows.

During the funeral, Ben meets Travis Atwood, the r
Published November 23rd 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 22nd 2012)

Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyTry by Ella Frank
Best "Out For You" Romance
45th out of 568 books — 1,515 voters
Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDuty & Devotion by Tere MichaelsOne Small Thing by Piper VaughnWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best Gay Books Dealing With Children
11th out of 363 books — 548 voters

More lists with this book...

J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
4.5--This Was a Good One Y'all--Stars!!!

Loved the writing....

Loved the banter....

Loved Tyler....

Loved Ben 90% of the time....there was just that one time. You know the one, in NY with David in the bathroom.

Loved the brothers....they were

I even loved Colin....

Could of done without Ben's little fetish....

And I could of done with more bossy Ben....

All in all it was virtually....

Heather C
Don't let the blurb scare you!!

Because when I first skimmed it, I was foreseeing something horribly sad and depressing. Okay, I admit it was sad, but there was also a lot of humor and happiness and very little angst. I swear...I only cried once.

This was a wonderful heart warming story about Ben, a 27 year old big shot NYC attorney, and how he struggles to find his "forward mementum" following the tragic deaths of both his parents. Ben is suddenly thrust into the role of guardian over his 3 teena
MsMiz (Tina)
Nov 24, 2012 MsMiz (Tina) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt-all, kindle-mobi
Oh this book...this book. I am not good with reviews and since I am still wiping the tears from Quentin's Thanksgiving day toast, this is going to be disjointed and incoherent.

Nikyta said yesterday 'read this'. I was thinking sure sure, whatever.....she was right. The story opens with Ben, a big hot shot New York lawyer with very well connected friends and what happens when tragedy strikes his family back in Austin, Texas. We are then treated to a one year journey of 4 brothers and a cast of se
Ingela
Nov 08, 2013 Ingela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingela by: Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
3,8 Stars - a super cute family story about brotherhood, grief and to find the one and only

Maybe not epic and unforgettable but not trivial and fast forgotten. Good topic, well written and charmingly enjoyable to read.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

‘Somethimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero’

...a fitting quote written by the author Marc Brown and mentioned in this story

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Very, very fitting, because The Nothingness of Ben is a very ni
MishyJo
Feb 07, 2014 MishyJo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-them-all
4.5 stars. It's two in the morning. I couldn't stop reading. I can barely keep my eyes open to write this review. This books was so good. Quentin's Thanksgiving speech put the book over the top for me. I was reading this one to get to The Return as I heard there was an overlap in characters, but this book was an outstanding read and more than just a stepping stone to get somewhere else. Read it and prepare to be wowed.
Kaje Harper
Jan 26, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, m-m
This book has some of the best conversations I've read in M/M. Perhaps because of the author's theater background, there is a naturalness and a rhythm that is very comfortable to read and makes the characters come alive. The teens, particularly the oldest brother, Quentin, are a bit precocious, but the author manages to bring it off and the interactions of Ben with his brothers are definitely a highlight of the book.

There is a middle section where I wish the author would have spent a bit more t
Ami
Dec 06, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ami by: MsMiz (Tina)
.Lili.
Oct 24, 2014 .Lili. rated it it was amazing

This book has been around the block for a while so I won't go into a long drawn out review but I will say this book is-

Amazing chemistry between the two main characters
Humor
Great dialogue
Steam
Angst
Great cast of secondary characters

And at the end you'll be left with a smile! 5 Stars! Even though this book wasn't published this year- it's still going on my Best of 2014 List. Do yourself a favor and-

Ery
Nov 26, 2012 Ery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nothingness of Ben was a decent story about a successful lawyer from New York City who comes home to take care of his three brothers after his parents death. Ben, significantly older than his siblings, struggles to connect with them and learn how to be a guardian all while readjusting to life in Texas. He struggles with his old relationships, friends and the man he was dating, while discovering a new life in Texas.

Overall it's a sweet story with some trials and tribulations. The author at ti
Heller
Well. This was absolutely lovely.

Ben is an up and coming lawyer in NYC transplanted from Texas. He has a great job, a shiny new boyfriend and endless prospects. This all ends with a phone call telling him that his parents have died in a car accident as his three younger brothers need him at home.

Honestly when this book starts out Ben is a not the best of men. He's selfish and he's a dick in more ways than one. He does go home and he does attempt to be a brother to his brothers he left behind a
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***5 Muddy Waters Stars***

"We can believe in the nothingness of life, we can believe in the nothingness of death and of life after death - but who can believe in the nothingness of Ben?"

This book is everything that I love about reading. I went through every emotion under the rainbow and loved every second of it!

Ben Walsh was born in Austin, Texas but as quickly as his shoes could take him, he moved to NY and away from his family. Not because he didn't love them, but because he dreamed of big
Gigi
Jan 31, 2014 Gigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gigi by: JustJen "Miss Conduct"
I absolutely adored this book. It is a 5 star read, no doubt about it. But after mulling it over, trying to decide how to review it and what exactly I want to say about it, I have come to the conclusion that while I loved the book, I just am not able to give MC Ben my stamp of approval. Thinking back to my other reviews, that would normally cause me to rate a book lower, but with how much I liked this book, I couldn't do that.

So, great book, heartbreaking story, loved MC Travis and the supporti
Barbara
Apr 15, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: lovely-romance, m-m, hot
A lovely cosy read!

A book easy to read, about loss, new beginnings and family!

I loved this story and although the plot is about grief, the main centre is about hope and following your heart, all the characters were so lovable!

Travis and Ben… Hot!!! I loved them together, their ups and downs and misunderstandings, and the kinky fetish...:DD

photo oie_14191047Yj9SCKjk_zps219e30c1.gif

I had a great reading time watching them bumble their way to their (view spoiler).

Overall, I really enjoyed this author and look forward
Candice
Nov 24, 2012 Candice rated it it was amazing
This book for me was absolutely wonderful. I started reading it and as much as I didn't want to stop I did because I didn't want to rush through it in order to get to the end. This story was about a journey, not only for Ben and his brothers, but also for the people who were in their lives. A journey that started with such a tragedy and through a lot of trial and error ended up in a place where everything was meant to be. Even though this story starts with a tragic event, there is really very li ...more
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Nov 15, 2015 R * A Reader Obsessed * rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Comfort BR with Meags!

4.5 Stars

I don't know if I'm on the rebound from my most recent let down of a read, but I don't care. I pretty much loved this book.

Sure there were some things that niggled or bothered me, but overall this was a great story about family and love.

What stands out for me the most was the dialogue.
The banter
The quick wit
The flirting
The arguing
And I'm not necessarily just talking about the push/pull of the MC's. Everyone had their piece to say on a variety of topics and it w
Isabel
Apr 22, 2014 Isabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Susan invited me to review one book that I wanted and had to read for some time, for

special week

this was one of the books that came to my mind! So, with a very happy smile, I also post here my review, because I am really glad with this invitation! Thank you BiOB for this opportunity!

My rating 4,5.

I had this book to read for a long time, and I am glad that I finally choose it, because is a beautiful story, intelligently written, that grabbed me from the first to the last word!

This book tel
Tami (synchro from BL)
1,5 stars.
Review might contain spoiler!

The writing style was ok. Some parts were even good, but they were unfortunately in the minority.
It was a predictable, unrealistic and boring story which got sappy at times - not a good mixture. The dialogues didn't sound particularly good to me. The whole "parents die in a tragic accident" part felt solely as a plot device and the emotional impact wasn't noticeable enough.
The characters remained shallow and cliched most of the time. Ben, the protagonist,
Vivian
Feb 03, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-contemp
I liked how this was woven. The story in this romance was in many ways better than the romance itself which is a pretty darn good friends to lovers story. I'm not usually a fan of stories based around kids either, but kinda hard not to love the Walsh clan. Truth is the story is all about Ben. His choices make all the difference in 4 lives: his 3 younger brothers and Travis.

The strength of this story was the characterization. Boney nailed making each one individual and interesting enough to want
Sara
Ack! I am in book love euphoria at the moment. This books was so good. I am on the best book streak right now. Brad Boney, you just about killed me toward the end of this book. Not even throwing The Vampire Diaries in there was healing. Not one damn bit but you pulled it off. Thank goodness.
Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero.

Oh, I had no idea where this book would take me. I knew from Andrew’s status updates that the pop culture references to all my favorite TV
Macky ~ Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews
A new name in m/m fiction, Brad Boney has produced an extremely likeable - slightly different - m/m romance that quietly crept up on me and took me by surprise. Ben appears to have everything, he's got his dream job with a prestigious law firm in New York and he's good at it, a handsome boyfriend, a rich best friend and a lifestyle he is quite happily becoming accustomed to......... then tragedy strikes and he has to go home to brothers he hasn't seen for quite a few years and some tough decisio ...more
Andrew
Jan 11, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The scale of 1-5 and the poverty of the English language are not enough to convey the greatness of this book.
Rach  *Feisty kitty*
Wow I cannot believe what an amazing story this one is :)

I was smiling and at times crying (yes I am an emotional woman so it could just be me) hahahahaha! I felt all these emotions because Brad Boney is a talented author who has the ability to completely immerse you into the lives of the characters. I will definitely be reading more books of his as this was my first.
I loved Ben and Travis together and how they had their issues in their relationship yet still worked through them. I am actually
Gina
Aug 20, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a book I could not put down, It flowed well and the writing was excellent. And while I liked both characters, I gotta say I really loved Travis! OMG What a great guy!! And while I eventually liked Ben, he was a bit self absorbed, but as he evolved and grew he definitely got in my heart. I thought the secondary characters were wonderful, Colin, David and Ben’s brothers were all characters I could read more about.

Because of the death of Ben’s parents in an accident, he is forced to go ba
Lena♥Ribka

Rounded up to 3 stars

It was not bad, and I can understand why so many readers like this book.
Or better to say, I try at least to understand WHY. It's a very CONVENTIONAL MM-ROMANCE with a typical HEA. I don't belong to the target audience for such kind of stories, but it doesn't mean that it is bad.

For my taste it's too sweet, too unrealistic, too full of clichés. It's me.
Nevertheless, I think that this story meets the required conditions to be a successful mini series. Considering a lot of d
Love it all bookworm
Sep 24, 2015 Love it all bookworm rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-sweet, mm, sad, audio-mm
4 Obi Wan StArS

This was a different but nice book. I could have gone without the foot fetish but luckily it wasn't hammered on!!!

This was an amazing story, there were beauty and sadness in the pages.

I LOVED, LOVED the part where Ben "dreams" of his dad and all those wise words knocked me on my ass!!!!

description
Adriana
My impression when reading this book blurb: "This sounds just like my type of book."

What I think after reading: I'm between 2.5 and 3 stars.
I'm sad because this book could have been my perfect book... but it wasn't. There was something missing for me, and too much happening in the book.

I'll try to write a complete review later, but now all I can say is that I'm disappointed with this...

ETA: Ery put it better than I could describe, her review.
Eva
Fantastic... Review to come...
Ije the Devourer of Books
Dec 03, 2013 Ije the Devourer of Books rated it it was amazing

This is a brilliant story and incredibly moving. It drew me in and held my attention from the beginning right to the end. The first thing that struck me about this story is the richness of its characters and dialogue. The story begins with the death of Ben's parents, a tragedy which brings unwanted change and upheaval to Ben's life. The story, which flows beautifully, is one about how he rebuilds life for both himself and his brothers.

One of the things that struck me was Ben's confidence. It mak
Leaundra
Nov 24, 2012 Leaundra rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I laughed, cried, and got frustrated. I loved how Ben grew throughout the book because there were times that you thought wow what an a**, lol I could understand though, losing his parents and having to give up his life in New York. Everything wasn't easy for him and his brothers but I loved reading how they dealt with everything going on in their lives. Travis was perfect for Ben and his brothers. This book was so easy to read and it just pulled you in. This review isn't doing ...more
Sandra
4.5 stars Oh my goodness, what a beautiful and complete story! I loved Every.Single.Character. All of the brothers had unique personalities and we got to know and love them all, but they also didn't take over the story. From Ben's BFF in NYC, Colin, to his large and welcoming extended family, this was just perfect. It's a hard balance. There are a lot of people that come and go, but they are all relevant and necessary. Over the course of this book Ben realizes that he doesn't have to do this alo ...more
Dreamspinner Press: The Nothingness of Ben by Brad Boney 1 32 Nov 23, 2012 08:18PM
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • The Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year, #1)
  • Dex in Blue (Johnnies, #2)
  • One Small Thing (One Thing, #1)
  • The Coil
  • Second Chances (Second Chances #1)
  • Frog
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells
  • Family Man
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • Duty & Devotion  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #3)
  • Tattoos & Teacups (Tattoos, #1)
  • The Melody Thief (Blue Notes, #2)
  • Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2)
  • Shaking the Sugar Tree (Sugar Tree, #1)
  • Disasterology 101
Brad Boney lives in Austin, Texas, the 7th gayest city in America. He grew up in the Midwest and went to school at NYU. He lived in Washington, DC and Houston before settling in Austin. He blames his background in the theater for his writing style, which he calls “dialogue and stage directions.” His first book was named a Lambda Literary Award finalist. He believes the greatest romantic comedy of ...more
More about Brad Boney...

“Because sometimes, and this is really important, the worst possible thing imaginable leads you to the place you were meant to be all along. Even in the most dire of times, life gives you a reason to give thanks.” 33 likes
“Ancient Chinese proverb,” he said, heading toward the kitchen.
“He who butt-fucks all night wakes up with sore asshole.”
19 likes