The Nothingness of Ben

The Nothingness of Ben

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,830 ratings  ·  310 reviews
Ben Walsh is well on his way to becoming one of Manhattan’s top litigators, with a gorgeous boyfriend and friends on the A-list. His life is perfect until he gets a phone call that brings it all crashing down: a car accident takes his parents, and now he must return to Austin to raise three teenage brothers he barely knows.

During the funeral, Ben meets Travis Atwood, the r...more
Published November 23rd 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 22nd 2012)

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
36th out of 603 books — 1,384 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay For You Romance
55th out of 445 books — 1,051 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather C
Don't let the blurb scare you!!

Because when I first skimmed it, I was foreseeing something horribly sad and depressing. Okay, I admit it was sad, but there was also a lot of humor and happiness and very little angst. I swear...I only cried once.

This was a wonderful heart warming story about Ben, a 27 year old big shot NYC attorney, and how he struggles to find his "forward mementum" following the tragic deaths of both his parents. Ben is suddenly thrust into the role of guardian over his 3 teena...more
Ingela
3,8 Stars - a super cute family story about brotherhood, grief and to find the one and only

Maybe not epic and unforgettable but not trivial and fast forgotten. Good topic, well written and charmingly enjoyable to read.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

‘Somethimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero’

...a fitting quote written by the author Marc Brown and mentioned in this story

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Very, very fitting, because The Nothingness of Ben is a very ni...more
MsMiz (Tina)
Oh this book...this book. I am not good with reviews and since I am still wiping the tears from Quentin's Thanksgiving day toast, this is going to be disjointed and incoherent.

Nikyta said yesterday 'read this'. I was thinking sure sure, whatever.....she was right. The story opens with Ben, a big hot shot New York lawyer with very well connected friends and what happens when tragedy strikes his family back in Austin, Texas. We are then treated to a one year journey of 4 brothers and a cast of se...more
Ami
MĩʂħүJѻ
4.5 stars. It's two in the morning. I couldn't stop reading. I can barely keep my eyes open to write this review. This books was so good. Quentin's Thanksgiving speech put the book over the top for me. I was reading this one to get to The Return as I heard there was an overlap in characters, but this book was an outstanding read and more than just a stepping stone to get somewhere else. Read it and prepare to be wowed.
Kaje Harper
This book has some of the best conversations I've read in M/M. Perhaps because of the author's theater background, there is a naturalness and a rhythm that is very comfortable to read and makes the characters come alive. The teens, particularly the oldest brother, Quentin, are a bit precocious, but the author manages to bring it off and the interactions of Ben with his brothers are definitely a highlight of the book.

There is a middle section where I wish the author would have spent a bit more t...more
Ery
The Nothingness of Ben was a decent story about a successful lawyer from New York City who comes home to take care of his three brothers after his parents death. Ben, significantly older than his siblings, struggles to connect with them and learn how to be a guardian all while readjusting to life in Texas. He struggles with his old relationships, friends and the man he was dating, while discovering a new life in Texas.

Overall it's a sweet story with some trials and tribulations. The author at ti...more
Heller
Well. This was absolutely lovely.

Ben is an up and coming lawyer in NYC transplanted from Texas. He has a great job, a shiny new boyfriend and endless prospects. This all ends with a phone call telling him that his parents have died in a car accident as his three younger brothers need him at home.

Honestly when this book starts out Ben is a not the best of men. He's selfish and he's a dick in more ways than one. He does go home and he does attempt to be a brother to his brothers he left behind a...more
Barbara
A lovely cosy read!

A book easy to read, about loss, new beginnings and family!

I loved this story and although the plot is about grief, the main centre is about hope and following your heart, all the characters were so lovable!

Travis and Ben… Hot!!! I loved them together, their ups and downs and misunderstandings, and the kinky fetish...:DD

photo oie_14191047Yj9SCKjk_zps219e30c1.gif

I had a great reading time watching them bumble their way to their (view spoiler).

Overall, I really enjoyed this author and look forward...more
Candice
This book for me was absolutely wonderful. I started reading it and as much as I didn't want to stop I did because I didn't want to rush through it in order to get to the end. This story was about a journey, not only for Ben and his brothers, but also for the people who were in their lives. A journey that started with such a tragedy and through a lot of trial and error ended up in a place where everything was meant to be. Even though this story starts with a tragic event, there is really very li...more
Isabel
When Susan invited me to review one book that I wanted and had to read for some time, for

special week

this was one of the books that came to my mind! So, with a very happy smile, I also post here my review, because I am really glad with this invitation! Thank you BiOB for this opportunity!

My rating 4,5.

I had this book to read for a long time, and I am glad that I finally choose it, because is a beautiful story, intelligently written, that grabbed me from the first to the last word!

This book tel...more
Sara
Ack! I am in book love euphoria at the moment. This books was so good. I am on the best book streak right now. Brad Boney, you just about killed me toward the end of this book. Not even throwing The Vampire Diaries in there was healing. Not one damn bit but you pulled it off. Thank goodness.
Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero.

Oh, I had no idea where this book would take me. I knew from Andrew’s status updates that the pop culture references to all my favorite TV s...more
Gigi
I absolutely adored this book. It is a 5 star read, no doubt about it. But after mulling it over, trying to decide how to review it and what exactly I want to say about it, I have come to the conclusion that while I loved the book, I just am not able to give MC Ben my stamp of approval. Thinking back to my other reviews, that would normally cause me to rate a book lower, but with how much I liked this book, I couldn't do that.

So, great book, heartbreaking story, loved MC Travis and the supporti...more
Adri
My impression when reading this book blurb: "This sounds just like my type of book."

What I think after reading: I'm between 2.5 and 3 stars.
I'm sad because this book could have been my perfect book... but it wasn't. There was something missing for me, and too much happening in the book.

I'll try to write a complete review later, but now all I can say is that I'm disappointed with this...

ETA: Ery put it better than I could describe, her review.
Rach  *Feisty kitty*
Wow I cannot believe what an amazing story this one is :)

I was smiling and at times crying (yes I am an emotional woman so it could just be me) hahahahaha! I felt all these emotions because Brad Boney is a talented author who has the ability to completely immerse you into the lives of the characters. I will definitely be reading more books of his as this was my first.
I loved Ben and Travis together and how they had their issues in their relationship yet still worked through them. I am actually
Gina
Aug 20, 2013 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
This was a book I could not put down, It flowed well and the writing was excellent. And while I liked both characters, I gotta say I really loved Travis! OMG What a great guy!! And while I eventually liked Ben, he was a bit self absorbed, but as he evolved and grew he definitely got in my heart. I thought the secondary characters were wonderful, Colin, David and Ben’s brothers were all characters I could read more about.

Because of the death of Ben’s parents in an accident, he is forced to go ba...more
Vivian Archer
I liked how this was woven. The story in this romance was in many ways better than the romance itself which is a pretty darn good friends to lovers story. I'm not usually a fan of stories based around kids either, but kinda hard not to love the Walsh clan. Truth is the story is all about Ben. His choices make all the difference in 4 lives: his 3 younger brothers and Travis.

The strength of this story was the characterization. Boney nailed making each one individual and interesting enough to want...more
Tami (synchro from BL)
1,5 stars.
Review might contain spoiler!

The writing style was ok. Some parts were even good, but they were unfortunately in the minority.
It was a predictable, unrealistic and boring story which got sappy at times - not a good mixture. The dialogues didn't sound particularly good to me. The whole "parents die in a tragic accident" part felt solely as a plot device and the emotional impact wasn't noticeable enough.
The characters remained shallow and cliched most of the time. Ben, the protagonist,...more
Macky
A new name in m/m fiction, Brad Boney has produced an extremely likeable - slightly different - m/m romance that quietly crept up on me and took me by surprise. Ben appears to have everything, he's got his dream job with a prestigious law firm in New York and he's good at it, a handsome boyfriend, a rich best friend and a lifestyle he is quite happily becoming accustomed to......... then tragedy strikes and he has to go home to brothers he hasn't seen for quite a few years and some tough decisio...more
Leaundra
I loved this book. I laughed, cried, and got frustrated. I loved how Ben grew throughout the book because there were times that you thought wow what an a**, lol I could understand though, losing his parents and having to give up his life in New York. Everything wasn't easy for him and his brothers but I loved reading how they dealt with everything going on in their lives. Travis was perfect for Ben and his brothers. This book was so easy to read and it just pulled you in. This review isn't doing...more
Andrew
The scale of 1-5 and the poverty of the English language are not enough to convey the greatness of this book.
Lauraadriana
Sometimes you have to loose the life you have to gain the one you're meant to live

That is what happened to Ben Walsh when on a winter day walking through the streets of Manhattan a phone call from home changes his life forever. His parents are dead. A car accident. They've left behind his three younger brothers in Austin, Texas where he grew up. Three boys he barely knows really. They are 16, 14 and 12...Ben is 28 and has been making his way in New York City as an up and coming litigator for one...more
Ije the Devourer of Books

This is a brilliant story and incredibly moving. It drew me in and held my attention from the beginning right to the end. The first thing that struck me about this story is the richness of its characters and dialogue. The story begins with the death of Ben's parents, a tragedy which brings unwanted change and upheaval to Ben's life. The story, which flows beautifully, is one about how he rebuilds life for both himself and his brothers.

One of the things that struck me was Ben's confidence. It mak...more
Amy ♥
Ben is pretty much a self-centered douche. He’s a hot shot lawyer in NYC and has all but abandoned his family back in Texas. He rarely visits and hardly knows his younger brothers.

Then he gets a phone call that changes everything.

His parents have been killed in a car accident, so he drops everything and rushes back home. At the funeral he meets their redneck neighbor and (totally straight) family friend, Travis.

Ben begins to rebuild his relationship with his brothers and struggles with whether...more
Bitchie (M/M addict)
Sad to say, this book didn't really work for me. Ben loses his parents and has to leave his high profile job and his boyfriend in NYC, to move home to Texas to take care of his three brothers. I didn't really see ANYONE grieving over this loss. The brothers all sat at home watching movies for a week, were a bit somber, and Ben finally mentioned feeling it a bit later, but that's about it. I didn't feel enough attention was spent on that part of the story at all, it felt like the parents had just...more
Bev
Dec 25, 2012 Bev rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, romance
Yee haw, what a heartwarming book. Ben was a bit of a dick to start with (OK, he was a lot of a dick), Travis was a good ol' country boy (kinda reminds ya of the 'Dukes of Hazzard' don' it!), but eventually, love being what it is, you just knew that they would end up together, and the younger brothers (loved the fact that Jason was also gay) would turn out fine and dandy and start leading happy lives again once they'd finally gotten over the fact that their parents were actually dead. Colin was...more
Anke
This book was simply wonderful. All characters were distinct and lovable, yes, even Ben :) His decisions weren't always the best and it wasn't the direct way for him, but in the end he got his HEA. Not only with Travis, but with his family as well. Heartwarming and feel good.
Marc
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this book. A very differnt style of writingg. It was easy to read and tackled difficult issues in surprising ways. The characters were three dimensional an flawed, but I couldn't help but root for them. :)
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jan 19, 2014 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to JustJen "Miss Conduct" by: Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Shelves: mm, ebook, bgirls

4.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

What a fabulously enjoyable story this is. I’ve been putting it off for so long that I don’t even remember why anymore. This was picked for me, and it was just the push I needed. I was definitely not disappointed.

When the story starts out, Ben is in a relationship with David, but that is quickly put on hold when Ben goes back to Texas to take guardianship of his younger brothers after the death of their parents. Ben left Texas and didn’t really look back very...more
Dreamspinner Press: The Nothingness of Ben by Brad Boney 1 25 Nov 23, 2012 11:18AM
  • Second Chances (Second Chances #1)
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid #2)
  • The Rebuilding Year
  • Dex in Blue (Johnnies, #2)
  • One Small Thing (One Thing, #1)
  • Acrobat
  • Family Man
  • Love Comes Silently (Senses, #1)
  • Private Eye (Liaisons #1)
  • Ethan, Who Loved Carter
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2)
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
  • The Coil
  • Plan B
  • Learning to Feel
  • The Backup Boyfriend (The Boyfriend Chronicles, #1)
  • Cherish (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #4)
Brad Boney lives in Austin, Texas, the 7th gayest city in America. He grew up in the Midwest and went to school at NYU. He lived in Washington, DC and Houston before settling in Austin. He blames his background in the theater for his writing style, which he calls “dialogue and stage directions.” His first book was named a Lambda Literary Award finalist. He believes the greatest romantic comedy of...more
More about Brad Boney...
The Return

“Because sometimes, and this is really important, the worst possible thing imaginable leads you to the place you were meant to be all along. Even in the most dire of times, life gives you a reason to give thanks.” 24 likes
“Ancient Chinese proverb,” he said, heading toward the kitchen.
“He who butt-fucks all night wakes up with sore asshole.”
15 likes