Start by marking “The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)

The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,921 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
Murdered contortionists aren't exactly what Vivienne signed up for when she ran away to join the circus. But like most things under the big top, nothing is what it seems. With a past she can't quite remember, Vivienne finds that running away forever might not be as appealing as it once sounded—especially not when she realizes the devilishly attractive ringleader, Mab, is t ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Immortal Circus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Immortal Circus

Jump Zone by Wylie SnowReal by Katy EvansDown to You by M. LeightonLosing It by Cora CarmackUnchained by J. Lynn
BASNABC
29th out of 35 books — 11 voters
Forged by Magic by A.O. PeartForged by Legacy by A.O. PeartForged by Greed by A.O. PeartDoctor Sleep by Stephen KingOpening the Veil by C.L.  Clark
Great Paranormal Books You Might Not Have Heard Of
44th out of 52 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

VampireNovelFan
The best Prime freebie I’ve read all year!

Talk about an imagination! I wasn't totally sure of what to expect going into this one. I wasn't sure which book to choose for my monthly kindle prime freebie and time was running out. It was a debut, and it was originally a Kindle serial series. But all in all it turned out wonderfully.

Though I've read other novels with a circus theme, this one certainly comes off as unique. Mab is a really cool leader. There are a lot of questions but the story pulls
Meg
Jan 19, 2014 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully intriguing, with hints of magic and chaos. The Immortal Circus wraps you up in its world full of death defying acts and a mystery reaching back centuries.

The circus has always intrigued me…mainly because you can eat as much fairy floss as you want and no one looks at you weirdly. That is my kind of place. Let me just start by saying that I went into this one thinking it was going to be a different story, so I think that is why I was slightly disappointed that it didn’t have the elem
Dean
Sep 04, 2014 Dean rated it really liked it
This book took me in straightaway.
There was magic and intrigue.
Death and conspiracy.
We have a female protagonist, Vivienne. The new chic. Grrrl power.
Except, this one is diluted by her constant pining over our Male lead, Kingston.
The first 1/4 of the book I really was not sure I was going to get through.
Vivienne's power appeared solely in her ability to drool and drop her tongue to her shoes whenever Kingston came about.
Then-something shifted.
It got darker. It got grittier.
The focus was taken of
Ashleyjo
Sep 10, 2015 Ashleyjo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
WTF did I just read?!? I feel like my girl, Alice, peering into some hole watching creepy crawlers, and I'm not sure I want to go down that mf'r and play, or not...

description

I'm not sure?

So, the norm is that one reads a book and can then give a brief synopsis of what the plot entails. Well, I read it and still have no mfing clue what's what, but I'll try to sum it up...

There's a circus of paranormal beings. It's run by some hard ass fae queen who makes the troupe sign magically powered contracts. The fem
Chase
A strong start, but it just didn't get all the way there.

This book would have benefited from some more world building. When there was world building, it was fantastic, but there's not enough description to truly embrace the uniqueness. It falls into plot too quickly. Another thing, I am not a huge fan of books about fairies, but Kahler does put them in a unique light that makes them more appealing.

The protaganist, Vivienne, was all over the place. Half the time she appears to know absolutely not
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
$2.00 on Amazon 1-15-2015 - Kindle Daily Deals - Prime members can borrow it from the Kindle Owners Lending Library also. (Same goes for book 2.)

Bryce
May 21, 2013 Bryce rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book reads like fan fiction: little in the way of plot but plenty of descriptions of hunky men and unlikely sex acts. Usually, I can soldier through bad books and call it a learning experience, but I'm just not in the mood.
John Lester
Feb 13, 2013 John Lester rated it really liked it
Queen Mab - no not that one, she's older than Shakespeare - is the owner and ring-mistress of Cirque des Immortels. Oh, and also the Queen of the Winter Court.
"Welcome to Cirque des Immortels! Tonight, we have a show to ensnare and entwine, filled with acts to allure you, hellish and devine. Tonight - tonight only - we offer you this, a night of estacy, a night of bliss".
Vivienne, like so many other performers are there to escape something, but, Vivienne just doesn't quite remember what that was
Shannon
4.5 stars. What an intriguing book. It was mystical and magical, with evil like twists. It kind of reminded me of Carnivale, the HBO series from several years back. Definitely interested in seeing how this story progresses, on to book 2.
Wren
Apr 11, 2013 Wren rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wren by: Alex Kahler
Even with only the first few chapters released as of right now, I'm completely sold on The Immortal Circus. I may be a little biased, because I've known Alex for--holy shit--ten years, but he's always been a top-notch writer in my opinion. And his first 'real' book is no disappointment.

There's magic, there's circus tricks, there's a sense of dark foreboding. What's not to love? I'm eagerly awaiting the next seven installments while simultaneously cursing Mr. Kahler for publishing in this format.
Lisa
Mar 05, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I try not to do reviews when I've only just finished the book (like 2 mins ago) as they tend to be a bit confused and I need some time to PROCESS...oh well I can always come back and amend it!
I loved this book even though it has some flaws which is why I'm torn between 4 & 5 stars.
It is about an immortal circus (Ha! well, der...should def not be carrying on with this but am ignoring myself) where the performers/members are contractually obligated to the circus and this preserves immortality.
Tracy
Jan 22, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Vivienne joined the Immortal Circus to escape her past but it appears her only skill is making cotton candy (which is usually a job for the local mortals) while everyone else in the cast has a magical circus act. Vivienne remembers signing a contract but can't remember the specifications of her contract. Come to think of it, Vivienne can't even remember the past she escaped. Everyone in the Immortal Circus will live forever but then someone in the cast gets murdered. It's all very mysterious... ...more
Elizabeth
I would be lying if I didn't say the cover was the first thing that attracted me to this. I mean, wow. It's darkly beautiful. The book itself, though, I have mixed feelings about. I really liked the idea behind it and the circus characters. I'm a fan of creepy circus stories and this book did not disappoint in that area.

The circus family was mysterious and interesting and frankly I could read about them all day. And the story itself wasn't bad either. It had me in suspense, it's creative and I
Mareena Sirois
Sep 16, 2014 Mareena Sirois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked the “Immortal circus” a paranormal/fantasy fiction story by A.K Kahla thinking it would be like a book I once read. I had high expectations but within just a few chapters I was hooked.
The main character, Vivienne, has run from her past and when she met Mab- a circus ring leader- she signs a contract with more bindings than she can remember. After she joins the circus things about herself and her past are very hazy. After a performer of the circus is mysteriously murdered, Vivienne sta
K. Lincoln
May 02, 2013 K. Lincoln rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This apparently started out as a serial on Amazon, and I can see in the shape of the chapters where specific events anchor each chapter and kind of end on a note of questioning for the next event how that shaped the story.

However, that didn't negatively impact this first "half" of the story for me. Vivienne has joined "the Immortal Circus" under vague, but binding contract terms. The only two circus members who really talk to her are the Magician, Kingston (whom she has the hots for) and his ass
Chelsie Hinds
I really enjoyed this book. I figured I would because it's in the range of books that I normally enjoy—you know, the creepy paranormal, what-in-the-world-is-going-on kind of deal. This book had all of that. It wasn't incredibly creepy like a actual horror book would be. But there are real thriller moments in there, moments where you except something to just pop out of the bushes seeking blood. I really think the plot was well-thought out and brilliantly executed. Considering that this is the aut ...more
Eddie
Jan 08, 2013 Eddie rated it it was ok
I've never read a serial book before, so obviously this is my first one. I guess the way they work is like a TV series, more chapters, like episodes, are released as time goes forward. This book is nine chapters deep at the time of my purchase and still has more to go. I'm not sure how much more, but I'm also not sure if I will continue on with it. As I am writing this review, I realize what book this is similar to; American Gods, by Neil Gailman. Very similar structure, with the story portrayin ...more
Lola The Musical Muse
Feb 15, 2013 Lola The Musical Muse rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the best and now one of my favorite books. Although to some it may not seem original just with the plot of a magical circus, the story runs much deeper than this and sucks you in. I've honestly read nothing like it and the end left me hanging so bad I almost screamed in frustration.

Vivienne starts out quite flat, but she is indeed a dynamic character. She may seem typical at first being a normal girl who ran away from her past because of her family or friends or something a
Tyla Rodriguez
May 11, 2014 Tyla Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the idea for this book. A supernatural circus with loads of mysterious secrets waiting to unfold. Definitely kept me wondering what was going on and didn't know what to expect next. I'm excited to read the sequel.. Although I wasn't too fond of Vivienne, the book's protagonist. She often made silly decisions (sneaking out at night to “protect” her friends from the unidentified murderer knowing at the time that she was a mere mortal) and most times overly obsessing over her love interest, ...more
Natalia Rox
I think the concept is well developed. I love the idea of magic being part of a circus. I just watched cirque du soleil's ama luna and I find myself applying the awe I felt that night with the characters in this book.

our main character Viv is a great guide into this immortal circus. You have the excitement of unraveling the secrets through her and it takes you out of your day and under the big top.

thar be spoilers ahead....

okay, I am not a fan of faeries in general. I feel like they are either
Jo-Jo
I really enjoyed this book. There was mystery and plenty of magic to go around. You find out more and more about what is really going on as the story unfolds. The world that is created in this book is both original and intriguing, and held my attention from beginning to end. I enjoyed the chat actress and the feelings of surprise that I felt as different aspects of the characters revealed themselves. I will definitely be reading on in the series to see what happens next in the Cirque des Immorte ...more
Susan Plake
Aug 03, 2015 Susan Plake rated it it was amazing
Excellent entrapment of nuance

I began sifting through to make sure that the YA was appropriate for my 12 year old granddaughter when I began to read it word for word. Tumbling into Mabs world off eclectic mix of performers who each have unique qualities, the details of sordid jugglers yet what's this, shifters? I began to turn each page more out of loving characters than being curious. On to next book!
Detroitangel
Feb 18, 2014 Detroitangel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS This is a fast moving train full of mysteries, fae, and oddities. Vivienne may seem lost, but it is her own design-or is it? I found the world building to be a bit slow at first, then I hit one piece of the puzzle and it clicks into place. After that, the story is a whirlwind of battles. I'm not sure if there is a true winner, but I was very surprised to see who survived.
Mark Horner
Jan 25, 2015 Mark Horner rated it it was amazing
Surprised Albeit Pleasantly

I'm not one for overly romantic novels & this isn't one. This novel contains a careful blending of thriller, fantasy, & romance. Titillating without explicit debauchery. Romantic without being sappy. Mysterious without being frustrating.
Rachel
Feb 10, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
As I read this book in serial format my reviews have been a little bit different from the norm. And they're only on the blog.

But oh my gosh reading this book in serial l format was deliciously tortuous. All I can say is I must have the sequel. Now.

That ending was explosive! Wow! And I have so many, many questions. As maddening as it has been to read this book piecemeal I can only say I'd do it all over again.

And I would love the next book to be released as a serial too. What an awesome way to e
Karen Beg
Jun 10, 2015 Karen Beg rated it it was amazing
Really good!

This book was so good. I was sucked into the story on page one! I love the characters and the setting. I can't wait to read book 2!
Barbara
Oct 21, 2015 Barbara rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
The plot was interesting but the main character was just tiresome. As we only saw the other characters through her eyes, they didn't interest me much either. A shame.
Anissa
I read this in installments as it was a Kindle Serial & I enjoyed the format & the story. Every two weeks, I was eager to get the new part & read it on the same day. I thought the story was well told & while I found that I was yelling at the very end because I wanted more answers, I take that to mean that I was well hooked & still want to know more. That last revelation of Vivienne's had me almost up in arms wanting answers. After weeks of reading I was hoping for less cliffh ...more
Emma
Apr 26, 2016 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Jessica
Mar 28, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok. This is a review about the whole Series. It took me a while to read this series because I fell in love with the Night Circus and honestly, I thought this would be similar and did not want to be disappointed. WOW how wrong I was!! This series is one of a kind! Magic, Fairies, Demons, Shape Shifters, Murder, Love, Hate, Lust, warring Kingdoms & plots within plots. I absolutely loved it. The worlds are beautifully rich & detailed! I had goose bumps in Winter. I was wowed by the performe ...more
Coffee Club with ...: The Immortal Circus 09/25-10-24 7 6 Oct 20, 2014 10:49AM
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
  • Dark Surrender
  • Crimson Midnight (Crimson #1)
  • Exposed (Codename: Chandler, #0.2)
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • Dark Dates (Cassandra Bick Chronicles #1)
  • The Snake Charm
  • Touched (The Marnie Baranuik Files #1)
  • Sweet Chaos (Kali Sweet, #2)
  • Steal the Light (Thieves, #1)
  • Endurance (Afterlife, #3)
  • Freak of Nature (Lost Witch Trilogy, #1)
  • The Darkangel Trilogy
  • Fraction of Stone (Fraction, #1)
  • Monstrous
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • Death Vigil #1
  • The Mirror & The Meretrix (Blackstone & Brenwen, #1)
Author, circus artist, and full-time wanderer.
I'm a weekly blogger at the YARebels (I'm Friday!). I also, er, do a lot of other things.
More about A.R. Kahler...

Cirque des Immortels (3 books)
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)

“Normal is a horribly overrated word,” 4 likes