Start by marking “Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, #8)” as Want to Read:
Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, #8)

Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant #8)

4.61  ·  Rating Details ·  6,349 Ratings  ·  418 Reviews
The eighth instalment in the biggest, funniest, most thrilling comedy-horror-adventure series in the universe - and the follow-up to 2012’s number-one bestseller, Kingdom of the Wicked…

War has finally come.

But it's not a war between good and evil, or light and dark – it's a war between Sanctuaries. For too long, the Irish Sanctuary has teetered on the brink of world-ending
Published August 29th 2013 by HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,519 books — 10,994 voters
Undone by Cat ClarkeLegacy by C.J. DaughertyGeek Girl by Holly SmaleAcid by Emma PassDeadly to Love by Mia Hoddell
UK YA in 2013
165 books — 331 voters

More lists with this book...

Helen
description

This is Derek Landy. Doesn't he look like a nice guy - with his ginger hair and pudginess? He writes a series of novels called Skulduggery Pleasant. When I started with the first book three or four years ago, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I thought it was going to be a nice, light, funny but slighty dark series that I'll forget straight after reading them.

This is was what REALLY happened:
Derek Landy is not a nice guy. He kills off all the characters you love, and takes complete a
Kribu
17 August 2014: re-reading this after a year, it's a ... mixed bag.

Well, not that mixed: I still stand by my original five star rating, but on the other hand, a slow re-read a year later, when I could actually pay attention to more things and not just hungrily gulp down everything that happened - with my brain no longer reeling from the twists and turns - it's also clearly not a perfect book, from editing issues (a couple of confusing paragraphs, the odd extraneous word) to other problems (Ping
Zohal
WHY DEREK LANDY?! WHY?! WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME SO?!!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Never have I read a series where the war starts in the second last book and then you have to wait A WHOLE ENTIRE YEAR FOR THE LAST ONE!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!

Just ... I can't ... I can't even- Why?! Why would you do that?! Why .. why.. why. *sobs*
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you've read the book then you know what I mean. You know what I'm talking about. Am I right?! Did it fill you with uncontrollable sadness and anger and made you almost swear and want to throw the book
Empress of Books
Temi Panayotova
Apr 28, 2016 Temi Panayotova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Най-добрата поредица, която някога съм чела. Дори и да боли на моменти, разбирам изборите на Ланди. От всички части, в тази се случват най-важните моменти - общо взето кулминацията на цялата поредица. И с всяка страница става по-тежко, че краят иде - а аз не съм готова да й кажа сбогом...
Booknut
Prepare yourself...

To laugh.
To cry.
To laugh and cry at the same time.

And to have your ability to feel obliterated as Derek Landy turns your heart into a punching bag.

Full review to come after a long period of recovery :)
Daisy
I don't think I've ever been as completely speechless as I was when I first finished this book (and several times during). I still haven't quite come to terms with the twists, and I have no idea where the hell the story is going to go from here. But I know one thing: that was possibly the most awesome thing I have ever read to date. I had high expectations, but the final product didn't even come close - as in it overshot those expectations by...a lot.
Note - there will be a spoiler section in thi
Tanja Voosen
Buchgestaltung

Wie immer dient mein Applaus dem Gestalter der gesamten Reihe: Tom Percival. Dieser Mann ist einfach unheimlich begabt! Vom ersten Buch an, bis heute hat er jedes Motiv, das es jemals für Skulduggery gab entworfen und er hat seinen Job immer zu 100% spitzen mäßig erledigt. Wie immer stellt das Motiv eine Schlüsselszene aus dem Buch dar. Wie immer passt der Titel unheimlich gut. Wie immer ist die Gesamtaufmachung absolut perfekt! WIE IMMER xD

Meinung

Dieses Buch hat mich psychisch fer
Nikki
Aug 24, 2014 Nikki rated it it was amazing
MY EMOTIONS!! How the heck did I wait a YEAR after reading that for the next one? I don't even know.

First read: 2013
Reread: August 2014
Toffeeelmo
Jan 13, 2013 Toffeeelmo rated it liked it
Hayley
Oct 03, 2013 Hayley rated it it was ok
If it helps, I do feel bad about the rating...but I feel its justified...here's why.

The first thing I noticed when I started to read the new book was that way too many new sorcerers from different sactuaries were introduced, it gets hard to tell many of them apart, and you are expected to remember the names and characters, even though many get very fleetingly mentioned chapters before.

In terms of plot, whilst not as bad as the last book was for being a bit random, the plot in this book has bec
Calypso
I deleted my previous review of this book because a.) it did not make any sense and b.) I sounded like I needed serious professional help.

That being said, this is still one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. I still cannot believe that the series is over because I miss Skulduggery and Valkyrie so bad. In my shelf of favourites, the books in this series are right there next to my Harry Potter books, because it is just that good despite being inexplicably underrated.

I don't know if I'll ev
Moonie
Aug 29, 2013 Moonie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
THIS IS WHAT PAIN FEELS LIKE
Kimberley doruyter
Aug 30, 2014 Kimberley doruyter rated it really liked it
oh no what happens next???? ;)
another good one but i can't wait to see how it ends.
I'jaaz (The Magician of Mirrex)
Dec 06, 2013 I'jaaz (The Magician of Mirrex) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every person who ever lived
Recommended to I'jaaz (The Magician of Mirrex) by: Friends

(5 stars, Derek Landy. 5 hard-won, blood-drenched stars)
What did I think? WHAT DID I THINK?!?! How can you even ask that question, you cold, soulless...*degenerates into blubbering mess*

(You've all heard the tagline, "No one is Safe" before, right? When it comes to Skulduggery Pleasant, you had better believe it with all of what's left of your souls. "What's left of your souls? Why would you say that?" Two reasons:

1) This series has a very prominent history, at least in my experience, of taking
The Book Gazer (Eddie)
Sep 01, 2013 The Book Gazer (Eddie) rated it it was amazing
This review is courtesy of http://TheBookGazer.blogspot.com
----
My Thoughts:
Okay, you know those books that are just great? They meet all your expectations, captivate you, everything. Yet despite that, you stare at your computer screen, wondering what on earth to ramble on about? Yeah, Welcome to my current situation.

When Derek Landy revealed the tagline to his latest piece of work, I was a bit skeptical. "No one is safe"? I've heard that line a hundred times before, but not quite like this. Pe
Angela
Ugh. I feel like I did at the end of Deathly Hallows - emotionally strung out and amazed at how much I care about fictional characters.

This isn't even the last book! Now I need to make it til next September for the end, and just...I'm not expecting any type of happy ending. With everything that happened in this one, it was one horrible event after another.

Loved everything. I shed a few tears for one character, shed a whole lot during one of the chapters near the end, and smiled quite a bit becau
Emma L Smith
Aug 28, 2013 Emma L Smith rated it it was amazing
Yet another brilliant foray into the world of Skulduggery. Full of more dry wit and sarcasm than previously if that's even possible - Scrapegrace and Thraser are absolutely hilarious!

Slight spoilers coming here.....

Don't look if you can't take it...........

Seriously, if you don't want any hints about this book, stop reading........

...........

My secret wishes for the future of this series.....

They get a new Ghastly from another dimension because I would be so sad to never see him again - and he
Ela
Nov 04, 2012 Ela rated it it was amazing
Review to come, I need to go and breath into a paper bag.

Edit 4 months later:
I'm not sure this is ever going to get reviewed, the topic is too painful and I have trouble putting my emotions into words.
Oliver
Apr 02, 2013 Oliver marked it as to-read
Screw the world!!! I have to wait that long???!!!
Dammit
Can't wait
Aleshanee
May 09, 2015 Aleshanee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, jugendbuch
4,5 Sterne

Meine Meinung

Die Rezension fällt mir echt schwer und ich muss mal schauen, ob ich da was vernünftiges zusammenbekomme ... es liegt überhaupt nicht am Buch, dass mich wieder sehr begeistert hat, aber ich kann das ganze echt schwer in Worte fassen!

Stephanie Edgley alias Walküre Unruh hat jetzt mittlerweile ihren 18. Geburtstag gefeiert. Seit 8 Bänden begleitet man sie, wie sie seit ihrem 12. Lebensjahr mit dem magischen Skelettdetektiv Skulduggery Pleasant die Welt vor bösen Magiern auf
Rachel Hamilton
Sep 05, 2013 Rachel Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Star rating: * * * * * 5 out of 5

Oof! Just finished Last Stand of Dead Men and I feel like I’ve been fighting alongside Skulduggery, Valkyrie, Tanith and the rest for the last few days. When Derek Landy says on the cover, ‘No one is safe’, you’d better believe it. The book offers everything you’d expect from the eighth installment in the Skulduggery Pleasant series: action, action and more action, with the usual witty one-liners and spiky dialogue thrown in to the horror – slash – comedy – slash
Jessy (OCD Anonymous) Smith
Skulduggery 8 was... Appropriate.
This is a sad adjective to use about Skulduggery but it is what it is.

Here they are, standing at what is, in many ways, the threshold and epicentre of the war between the sanctuaries. The mood in Skulduggery had to shift and that’s just a fact. It certainly got darker, which was handled well. It also had to encompass the entirety of the war, which Derek Landy did by introducing a couple of new point of views. Now while this was effective, it cut down on the Sku
Skyril
Aug 04, 2013 Skyril rated it it was amazing
4.5

For anyone who is reading this review, I hope you have already read this book, as well as the previous seven, because there will be some spoilers.

First and foremost, this is the first Skulduggery Pleasant book that I have even considered giving a lower score than five.

Of course it was fantastic. Of course it was witty. Of course it was incredibly all-consuming.

However, Derek Landy seemed, for the first time, to kind of... be lazy about his rules and writing.

For instance, there are several ti
Aurora
This book didn't start out much different from the other Skulduggery Pleasant books. It had the usual amounts of sass and sarcasm and narcissism and attitude, with a some violence and magic and weirdness thrown in there for hoots. It was fun to read. I laughed quite a bit and was constantly exclaiming about how much I loved it, even though there was a war going on. Despite the seriousness of it, everything was still okay.

Then, about half way through the book, there came a scene that changed ever
May 28, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, fantasy
WOW. WOW. WOW.

I don't want to spoil anything, but the strapline, "No one is safe'? Ain't that the truth. Some serious stuff (avoiding spoilers, see?) happens in this book. There's the usual death and destruction, plus some twists and revelations that I DID NOT see coming.

I can't believe that this is the second last time that I will ever pick up a Skulduggery Pleasant book for the first time... I think that I'll forever associate these books with my teenage years, and I am so, so happy to have gr
Христо Блажев
Dec 07, 2014 Христо Блажев rated it really liked it
Уморената Валкирия се предава: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/p...

С почти религиозна страст проповядвам колко страхотна е тази поредица – книга след книга Дерек Ланди развива шеметно своите герои и техния свят, изправя ги през страховити изпитания, безмилостно ги принуждава да взимат решения, сред които няма ни едно абсолютно правилно и безболезнено. Започналата като детска поредица след четвъртата си книга е много повече – хипнотично фентъзи с хорър елементи, в което двамата главни герои р
Thalia Grace
Jul 05, 2015 Thalia Grace rated it it was amazing
This book is by far the best so far in the whole series.

It deserves 6 stars!

And the next book is going to be better how?!?!

I don't understand how Derek Landy can be so cruel. He kills of characters all the time so I should be used to it. No. He went to far this time killing (view spoiler) How could he?!?!??! Seriously and with the betrayal of (view spoiler) What even? There are (view spoiler)
Jessica
No matter how prepared I was for this book it still managed to rip my heart out and throw it at my own face!
This book is full of action and emotions, while still having time to make you laugh. In the middle of a war you find yourself laughing at something one of the Dead Men has said or thought. Only certain authors can have you laughing while there is a war going on in the background and Derek does an amazing job.

One of my favourite things about this book is after so much mentioning, we finall
Louise
Aug 26, 2013 Louise rated it it was amazing
You know what sucks the most about this book? That I have to wait a year, a YEAR for the next one!

I think this is the funniest in the series. It is also probably the scariest and the outlook is definitely the most dire for our Skulduggery and his team. I am very mad at Derek Landy about a few things, but I'm not going to spoil it for the rest of you - you will see what I mean when you get there.

I wish more adult books would read like this.
last stand of the dead men 27 89 Oct 09, 2014 01:52AM
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • Deadlock (H.I.V.E., #8)
  • Sand der Zeit (Wanderer #1)
  • The Thirteenth (The Thirteenth, #1)
  • Rosen und Seifenblasen (Verliebt in Serie, #1)
  • The Dream Thief: An Extraordinary Horatio Lyle Mystery
  • Battle Lines (Department 19, #3)
  • Glasgow RAIN: Küsse im Regen
  • The Pirate Kings (TimeRiders, #7)
  • The Black Reckoning (The Books of Beginning, #3)
  • Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)
  • Dead Girls Don't
  • Crossfire (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #8)
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)
  • Doomsday (The Phoenix files, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1
  • The Disappearances (The Killables, #2)
Derek Landy is an Irish writer and screenwriter. In addition to the bestselling children's/YA series of Skulduggery Pleasant books, a supernatural mystery series starring Skulduggery Pleasant, a skeleton detective, and Valkyrie Cain, a young female magician, he has written two screenplays that have been made into films: the IFTA award winning "Dead Bodies" and the IFTA nominated "Boy Eats Girl". L ...more
More about Derek Landy...

Skulduggery Pleasant (10 books)
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2)
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, #4)
  • Mortal Coil (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5)
  • Death Bringer (Detective esqueleto, #6)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, #7)
  • The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, #9)
  • Resurrection (Skulduggery Pleasant, #10)

“She turned to Skulduggery and held out her arms. “Come here, you.”

He tilted his head. “My hugs are for special occasions only.”

“Hug me.”

“I prefer the old tradition.”

“Hug.”

“Would a handshake do?”

“Hug.”

“A pat on the back?”

She stepped forward and wrapped her arms round him. “Hug,” she said.

He sighed, and his hands settled on her shoulders. The others were warm and their embraces strong – with Skulduggery the hug was cold, and there were areas on his jacket that gave way beneath her fingers, and she could feel the emptiness within. She didn’t mind.”
47 likes
“Are you sulking?”
“Me? No. I don’t sulk.”
“You sound like you’re sulking.”
“I’m just waiting for the violent urges to subside.”
45 likes