Start by marking “Time for a Duke” as Want to Read:
Time for a Duke

Time for a Duke

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Izzy Hodgkin just wants an adventure. Who knew that involved being locked in a closet in 2012, then being transported to 1812 when the door is opened later?

Charles Hamilton Douglas Wade, Duke of Bramblewood Green, thinks he will never find the right woman. When he opens his closet door one day, imagine his surprise to find a woman in there. And she’s from the future!

Will
Published November 1st 2012 by Astraea Press

To ask other readers questions about Time for a Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time for a Duke

Stained by Elizabeth MarxWhiter than White by G.G. CarverThe Wayward Gifted by Donna K. ChildreeSomeday You'll Laugh by Brenda  MaxfieldSex in the Title by Zack Love
Best Indie Authors
13th out of 117 books — 101 voters
Yours Mine Ours by Bridgitte Lesley'Tis the Season for Seduction by Maya DeLeinaForever Winter by Amber DaultonPastels and Jingle Bells by Christine S. FeldmanUnwrapped by Chantilly White
Favorite Holiday Romance Reads
48th out of 90 books — 132 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel Van Dyken
Ruth J. Hartman, does such a fantastic job with this book. I've always wondered what would happen if a modern girl was thrown back into Regency times. I mean, would the iPhone work? Would people think you were insane and send you to Bedlam? Or would you fall in love?

In my mind it would be very difficult to mesh the two worlds together. How do you stay true to regency while at the same time throwing in modern words and customs? Miss Hartman weaves a beautiful tale, balancing the two worlds so eff
Andrea Smith
At first I enjoyed this time travel Christmas novella. I found the ball especially exciting and then wham--the main characters sleep together. I was totally broadsided because this was recommended on the Goodreads Clean Reads list. And granted, there are no explicit or detailed scenes. But the fact that they had sex just soured the entire story for me. First of all, it turned their budding love into lust and then their relationship just wasn't believable to me. If Charles was a true gentleman an ...more
Laurie
Alanna Mooney
I don’t often read fantasy-type novels, but when I read the synopsis for Time For A Duke it reminded me of Kate & Leopold. That alone gave me enough reason to give it a go, so here’s what I thought.

Time For A Duke follows Izzy Hodgkins, an American who has travelled to England alone to trace her ancestors. She takes a guided tour of an old country estate and ends up locked in a closet. When the door opens, she finds that she’s been transported back from 2012 to 1812, and the Duke who owns t
Jennette
I don’t always read the excerpts of other books after I’ve finished a story, but recently I read I did take that time to read an excerpt and found this little gem, Time for a Duke. It is a short-ish story of an accidental time traveler who finds herself locked in a closet in 2012 and escapes from the closet into the arms a duke in 1812. Izzy struggles as any an ordinary career-minded woman of this century might, if she found herself suddenly 200 years in the past in the midst of British upper so ...more
Christine
I was unaware when I started reading this book it had some time travel involved. I haven't read one in awhile and realized that I missed reading them. I enjoyed the connection that Charles and Isabella (Izzy) shared. Sarah was truly a gem on so many levels. Uncle Sebastian was a riot, in and out of his cups. I laughed out loud at so many parts in this story. A quick, light read that will leave you smiling, like Henrietta the cat.
Krystal
This one one of those quick reads that is not only a lot of fun, but will have you shaking your head and laughing out loud. At first, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this novel or not, having attempted my own version of a "time travel" novel some time ago, however I was more than pleasantly surprised.

The characters were fun and quirky, and I thought the fact that they could find enjoyment in each others company given the huge gap in time periods both unique and refreshing. I also loved how overp
Kim Bowman
Ms. Hartman has garnered a fan. I was impressed with how she carried off having a woman from 2012 transport in time back to 1812 and stayed true to how different the characters would think and act throughout. Up to the end, she held fast to the fact that these people were not only from different worlds (he from England, she from America) but from two different times. Her humor was the best! Well worth the read!
Angi Neal
Great novella! I wish it had been longer but thus is the curse of a novella! It was something a little different than I normally read but I did enjoy it. I have always wondered what it would be like to go back in time and be a part of the society that I love to read about. I love Izzy's choice in the end and I honestly did wonder what her choice was going to be!
January
Cute storyline. It is a novella so a quick read. The main characters fell for each other a little quickly leaving only the conflict of whether or not the heroine would opt to go back to her own time left for the resolution. With a novella though, that has to happen fast. Good evening read.
Emily Lund
It was very short, I actually finished it at work on a break. No strong conflicts I don't get how this was published e-book or not. I honestly thought near the end that was the rising plot but turns out I was completely wrong. What happened with her purse and its contents? Had his Uncle intentionally got her drunk to find out more about her since she is american? As for a romance novel this had nothing seriously pulling them apart. The only thing "threatening" to pull them apart was her desire t ...more
Cheryl
This is a fun story that I couldn't put down. I read it all in one evening. I liked the time travel and watching the two characters from different eras learn to relate to one another. Loved the kitty too. I was disappointed when the characters slept together. That kinda spoiled the whole thing for me. It was not graphic at all, however it just seemed out of character, at least for Charles. I also prefer squeaky clean reads.
Suri
Maybe bec this was a short read but I somehow felt detached from this. Idk, There were important reasons/explanations left out, uncharacteristic situations/reactions and abrupt ending. shrugs. Plus I felt that the ball which was made into such a big deal upon her arrival in the past, what's the word, was unexciting for me. I did enjoy reading about their comparisons with the past & present, still, things seemed rushed yet uneventful.
Spowers1
Poorly written. No story arc or character develop. Only thing that happens in book is characters go to a ball. Never question ability to time travel or concern about ability to return. Female character is abused and belittled by father but seams to instantly forgive when male character speaks rudely to her. If her dream is to be more independent then tell Charles off. There are a lot better time travel romances.
Charissa
This story sets modern day Izzy into the past where she meets a duke--Charles. At first it was kind of enjoyable, but got kind of unbelievable and irritating near the end. Izzy is a floozey (which made me dislike her and think less of the duke as well), and the thoughts and emotions of the characters flipflopped too much to seem realistic.
Aly
I liked the plot it made me think of a Lynn Kurland book, which is one of my favorite authors. It's a short story. I am not trying to spoil anything but this is one of those books where the characters don't wait for marriage to sleep together, which kind of bothered me. This is a clean book.
Donna
Such a sweet, cute and lighthearted romance. Even within the shorter format, Hartman is able to create loveable characters and spin a tale that is so engaging and entertaining. This is only the second story I've read by this author, but she is quickly becoming a favourite.
Linda
Very short story that involved the heroine travelling back in time frm 2012 to 1812. Mediocre at best, I couldn't connect to the characters & it seemed terribly implausible that an American frm our time could be able to fit into the world of the ton in 2 wks.
Luisa
This book was not very interesting and the characters even less. I finished it because I wanted to know what Izzy would decide. It needs depth, more drama and it should't read like a diary.
Angela
Kate and Leopold but rushed...needed a little more time to develop...also I could have been judging it against the movie which truth be told I have a soft spot for
Nicole Martinez
It was cute but I think the author could have done so much more with this story. I feel like it was to fast and it didn't captivate me like I thought it would.
Arianne
I was disappointed with this book. It was rather short and with a little more could have been so much better.
Rosa C.
This was okay but I didn't explore the subject (time travel) as well as it could.
Christie Palmer
I really wanted to like this but it just wasn't that good.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Jean Davis
Jean Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Shantina
Shantina marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • The Devil Duke Takes a Bride (The House of Renwick, #4)
  • The Spinster & The Beast
  • Midsummer Eve At Rookery End
  • A Twist of Fate
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • Scandal of Love (Scandals & Secrets, #1)
  • The Blackmailed Bride
  • The Winter Wife: A Christmas Novella
  • Desperate Measures (A Regency Short Story)
  • Mr. Malcolm's List
  • Marriage of Inconvenience
  • A Lot Like A Lady (Lady, #1)
  • The Most Unsuitable Wife (Kincaids, #1)
  • Seducing Miss Dunaway
  • The Captain's Christmas Family (Glass Slipper Brides, #1)
  • The Countess' Lucky Charm
  • The Bedeviled Bride
The Unwanted Earl (The Love Bird Series) Romancing The Dustman's Daughter Love Birds of Regent's Park The Matchmakers A Courtship for Cecilia