No Place for a Lady (Regency Rags to Riches, #1)

No Place for a Lady (The Regency Rags to Riches #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The London rookeries are slums, rife with criminals, and shunned by the upper crust.

But someone there intends to murder one of England's greatest leaders, and Marcus Kane, Lord Chadwick, will follow every clue, even into the bowels of London's underground. But he can't find his way alone.

A partner is required.

Fantine (Fanny) Delarive is perfect. She knows the slums better...more
Published October 4th 2012 by ePublishing Works! (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about No Place for a Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Place for a Lady

Kyra Dunst
I laughed out loud so many times throughout this story. Fantine is a bastard woman with a noble father, but she won't let her father set her up on the side. Instead, she makes her own way as a spy in the underbelly of London. Lord Marcus has put his espionage days behind him, but when called for one last case, he can't help but step up to protect his country. When the two are forced to work together, sparks fly. Fantine is a wonderfully unique woman. She is kind and compassionate, but still inno...more
Natalie
Yep, a trashy romance novel, but I did laugh out loud in a few places, which is rare for me lately. Just fun characters.
Gayle Francis Moffet
Meh.

The leads grated on my nerves (especially with the female lead slipping between speaking normally and a phonetically spelled accent). The story could have been tightened by about 20 pages, and while I understand that the “forceful” and “possessive” male lead is appealing to some, it’s not appealing to me. The moments of non-consensual contact—and there was one that was non-con until she clubbed him in the head with a chair leg—were uncomfortable and not what I was looking for. If I’d known...more
Victoria
Loved, loved, loved it! A great story that went through to the end, loved all the little stories that began along way too. There would be times that the smaller stories never really ended just stopped abruptly and then would pick back up again. It made this book full from beginning to end but not confusing and it didn't feel like there was too much happening because it never happened all at the same time.

The chemistry between Fantina and Marcus was amazing, hot, frustrating and ridiculous at tim...more
Mackenzie
Our heroine, street urchin Rat/Fanny also new member of the ton Fantine Delarive, and hero, Marcus Kane, Lord Chadwick, meet by request of Lord Penworthy to save the life of a Member of Parliment (Mr. Wilberforce) whose slavery bill is due to pass. With an threat to his life, Penworthy insists that Fantine and Chadwick work together as their search takes them not only through the slums, which Fanny knows inside and out, to the ballrooms of the ton, where Chadwick and his family preside.

Fantine...more
Eliza Lloyd
A fun, naughty read. Fanny was outspoken and quirky. A good rainy, day weekend read that will leave you satisfied.
Leslie
I liked this and the two novellas from the Bride series so much that I immediately bought the following three to this series.
TJ
A different take on historical romance. I enjoyed it even though she was (gasp) a bastard. Although uneducated she was very smart. There were some moments that I was disappointed with like when they wanted to make her a part of he civilized society instead of allowing her to be herself.
Eve James
Funny, witty and surprising, are words I would use to describe this book. I'm a fan of Jade Lee and love her smart characters, especially strong and independent women. This one didn't disappoint. Great read.
Babs
Jade Lee is a great writer and author. The book started out decent and then I could not get into the read. I wanted more of the time period and there were things that did not add up. Women wouldn't be openly talking about a mistress for the hero. She rips her dress and shows a lot of leg which would lead to a scandal but nothing is made of it. Things like this just didn't add up for me. The writing is good just not the plot.
Kym Roberts
Marcus and Fantine are great together--he just doesn't know it and she wants more than he's willing to give. I love the way Ms. Lee crashes through the social hierarchy of England's ton while entwining the reader in a love story filled with passion and intrigue. You'll love it. ...more
Michele Lacroix
I don't remember if this was a freebee or cost .99, anyway it was worth it. I loved the heroine Fantine, and the hero Marcus, who you wanted to give a swift kick in the pants. The MP they were trying to save was an actual MP. In fact, the film Amazing Grace was about his fight to end slavery. It's well worth the price, which ever it was.
Mary Ann
For those looking for a romance with action, other than in the bedroom, you can find it in the have, and have not sections of this British city.
Donna
You know by now I love strong women. Jade delivered. Fanny has a mind of her own in a time where that was not appreciated, much less encouraged. She is not willing to back down and be less than she is, even knowing her life could be easier. Marcus's mother might make a great role model for her. Check it out.
Rosaleendhu
I really liked the heroine in this book. She stuck to her values when people started pushing her to change.
Deirdre
A fun romp. It has SPIES and INTRIGUE in. There were some elements of it that felt very anachronistic and I wasn't too gone on the hero, but all in all I enjoyed it- good for travelling with because it's easy to follow while sleepy.
Maryalice
This is a well written store. Loved the way Fantine, Fanny, changed from being a lady to being Rat and back again as needed. Loved watching Marcus grow, but the story kept bogging down. I needed more action.
Mildred Christi
I liked this book because of the whole rags to riches idea behind it. The female MC was my favorite. She was silly and serious and hit everything in between as well.
Joycee
Eh, it was OK. It had its moments. Maybe I'll try one or two more of Ms. Lee's novels before I decide whether or not to "stick with her".

But it was good for a freebie!
Desere
Passionate, fun,feisty read from a brilliant author that knows how to captivate me as reader! Well done Jade Lee !
Desiree Gorman -  A Love Affair With Books
Cute little spin on an English based romance. The female character made me laugh and cry frequently.
Kbee
Aug 21, 2013 Kbee marked it as to-read
On Hold!!Back to finish it (August 16th).
On Hold once again(August 17).
Rosa
Such a good story. I loved Fantine.
Victoria Newman
Is a great book to read
Lindsay
Nov 01, 2012 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Amazon Freebie 11/1/2012
Vak07
Vak07 added it
Sep 12, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Steph Moyer
Steph Moyer marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Mini
Mini is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
The Free Book Cha...: No Place for a Lady, by Katherine Greyle 2 9 Nov 08, 2012 06:51PM
  • Secrets of Midnight
  • Emerald Embrace
  • A Scandalous Charade (Scandalous, #2)
  • Untamed (Wild Women, #1)
  • Indiscreet
  • The Defiant Governess
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • Wronged
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Fire at Midnight
  • Oh, Cherry Ripe
  • Sea Scoundrel (Knave of Hearts #1)
  • Twice a Rake
  • Married By Midnight (Pembroke Palace, #4)
  • The Pirate and the Puritan
  • The Loyal Heart
  • The Last Rogue (Rogue Trilogy, #3)
  • Pirate's Bride
A USA Today Bestseller, JADE LEE has been scripting love stories since she first picked up a set of paper dolls. Ball gowns and rakish lords caught her attention early (thank you Georgette Heyer), and her fascination with the Regency began. An author of more than 40 romance novels and winner of dozens of industry awards, she finally gets to play in the best girl-heaven place of all: a Bridal Salo...more
More about Jade Lee...
Seduced by Crimson (Crimson City, #5) White Tigress (Tigress, #1) Dragonborn (The Jade Lee Romantic Fantasies, #1) The Groom's Gamble (Bridal Favors, #3.5) Wedded in Scandal (Bridal Favors, #1)