Start by marking “Crucible of Fate (Change of Heart, #4)” as Want to Read:
Crucible of Fate (Change of Heart, #4)

Crucible of Fate (Change of Heart #4)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  1,624 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
In the secret city of Sobek, Domin Thorne is making his way as the newly chosen semel-aten, the leader of the werepanther world. He aspires to make sweeping changes—he’s set goals for himself and the people he chose to bring with him, modeling his reign after that of his friend, Logan Church. But Domin may have set too lofty a goal: his normal leadership style isn’t workin ...more
Published November 21st 2012 by Dreamspinner Press LLC (first published November 20th 2012)

Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
55th out of 936 books — 1,253 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesCut & Run by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxWith Caution by J.L. LangleyForce of Law by Jez Morrow
Best Gay Alpha Males
100th out of 580 books — 782 voters

More lists with this book...

Rosa, really
Allow me to summarize the plot for you:

There was an important whiney dude, a couple of horseys, a giant mushroom-headed penis, the brief appearance of a slice of key lime pie and then 2 dudes growling MINE! at the end. In other words:

But it's Mary Calmes so I liked it anyway.

Thanks for the BR Otila, Jen & JL!
Nov 26, 2012 Heller rated it really liked it
The story of Domin Thorne and Yuri Kosa.

I love this panther shifter series. Such interesting world-building and characters in this universe. In no way is this a standalone story. You have to read the series in order or you will be lost as to what is going on here.

Domin and Yuri are gorgeous together. I love that Domin knows what Yuri is to him and appreciates it and Yuri knows as well even if it takes him a while to realize it. Can I say though that Koren really needs a smack?

I love the Logan
Jan 31, 2014 julio rated it liked it
Fun—and funny.

Nice to catch up with old friends.

Honestly: not much in the way of plot, but the banter is sometimes hilarious.

A fun addition to the Calmes shifter universe.
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Mar 11, 2016 R * A Reader Obsessed * rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 Stars

No where near as exciting to me as Honored Vow, this was still a nice change of pace as we see a different point of view in the form of Domin settling into his new life.

This was full of politics, tribal conflicts, and more absurd werepanther laws. Be reassured that despite danger around every corner, as well as plenty of violent brutality, there was also some nice hot man smex and plenty of love to go around.

All in all, this really was quite a good spinoff to the crazy, fantastical, Ji
Jan 31, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing
Here I go again folks with the swoon-fest over this series, I know my reviews for this series are probably all sounding the same. Can’t help it my friends, I am in love with this series and i must shout it for everyone to hear!!

I love love love Domin and Yuri!! OMG OMG OMG!!! And what is surprising for me is i didn’t expect to love them this much. I went into this book a little heartsick and sad about no more Jin and Logan. While i was sure they would make the occasion appearance, I started read
Edit 11/21/2012
Love, love, love.... Just L.O.V.E!!!!

It's now mine BiAtches!

Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader and is for the whole series up to this point.

Change of Heart and it's sequel, Trusted Bond were my first introduction to Mary Calmes' work. As two (CoH & TB) of my very first reviews -- ever -- and in the first week at my gig reviewing at Jessewave, I hadn't quite settled into my own rating system. So I wasn't sure if my feelings and ratings would stay the same (then, 4.25 stars and 5 stars, respectively), because I didn't have much to compare th
Jun 08, 2015 Otila rated it liked it
Yes, this book has no plot. Yes, my eyes still kind of glaze over when they're talking about werepanther society and laws and shit. And yes, I think they're just pulling these laws out of their asses as they go along (and by they I mean MC).

Not as ridiculously entertaining as the first 3 in the series. Neither one of the MCs were sufficiently Jory-like but each had a sprinkling of certain characteristics. It was kind of Calmes-lite, but it was fun and funny. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the fun BR, R
Sep 26, 2015 Gigi rated it it was amazing
Another home run! And we get another Jin/Logan book next? Oh, fuck yeah!
Jun 10, 2015 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
So much better than Honored Vow which was just way too violent for me, but…well, I liked it actually, quite a lot…well, once I was able to just stop hearing blah blah blah with all the terms and names…so much to study before reading, lol! Good thing there is a Glossary!

Some stuff was just so different it at times felt odd, off, I dunno. Yuri? He turned into a marshmallow in this one. The challenges? Thank God no one was murdering innocent people like in the last one but these were like field day
Amy Lane
Dec 26, 2012 Amy Lane rated it it was amazing
Classic Mary, with a first person hero and extensive world building, but also a demonstration of expanding skill. Domin's voice is growly, irritable, floundering and wise, and while the action and pacing is nonstop because that's what Mary does, the dynamic of Domin and Yuri is very, very different than the Jin/Logan dynamic. Domin *isn't* sure everything he does is right, and he does NOT commit to action first and take counsel later. He's wise enough to listen to the people around him and to do ...more
Loved and loathed this book.

Loved because Domin finally go to be loved for who he is and that the station or title he holds. Loved because his mate finally got his man and all that involved.

Loathed because of what I am naming "The Mary Calmes Separation Stipulation", or now TMCSS for short.

But loved for all that this was. For all that Domin has gone through and become. For all that he realizes he is and how strong he is with those he trusts and loves beside him.

But loathed for one certain fu
Oct 19, 2015 Brendy rated it liked it
Shelves: nh-shifters, mm
Let’s see… this one was mainly informative and highly laughable… and that’s being honest

“I’m sorry , my lord, it had to be done. I Know the semel-.netjer and his reah are like your family, but really, between the baby and the volume of their fights and their-“He cleared his throat .” other activities, they disrupted everyone here quite effectively. Your entire household needed them out”

This follows the story of Domin as the new Semel-aten of the werepanther world, right after the ending of the
4.5 Stars

There's not much to say here, except that I really enjoyed this installment. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the refreshing change in main character narrative. I'm a huge fan of Domin, and as such, I was chomping at the bit to get to this particular story. Obviously, it was well worth my early week marathon reading, because I smashed this baby out in a matter of hours.

Apr 19, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mm
Sometimes there's just nothing better than some comfort food and revisiting an old favourite. It's been nearly 2 years since I read the first 3 books in this series and Crucible of Fate was a wonderful reunion with the characters in these stories.

I find the writing in these books just flows like a gentle steam there's just a calming peaceful flow to everything. It's comfort food and the need for the familiar whatever it is Mary Calmes puts it onto the page and my mind and my heart soak it up an
I am kind of at a loss as to what to say about this one.

It's not that I didn't like it, it's just that I didn't LOVE it. And a lot of that has to do with me being a "dance with the one that brought you" kind of girl. I really have a strong aversion to having the main pairing switched on me after getting multiple books into a series. I'll ride with you if it's done at the beginning (like book 1 is about couple A, book 2 about couple B and so on) but don't give me three, four, five books of one co
Will Parkinson
Nov 21, 2012 Will Parkinson rated it it was amazing
I could not put this story down. When it came time to leave for work I packed the Nook up so I could bring it along.

Before I say anything about the book I will confess: I love Logan and Jin. They're one of my favorite couples. I had wondered how Domin and Yuri would face up against the competition.

I didn't need to worry. Domin Thorne definitely can hold his own. He's every bit as likeable as Logan, even though his way of ruling is different.

This was a great book and if you enjoyed any of the res
Sep 06, 2015 Tj rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-reads, read-2012
I was going to give this a 4 star but I just loved the characters so much I couldn't. The book follows Domin. Domin has taken Yuri as his "Sekhem" and become the semel-aten. He has been overwhelmed by his new duties. Poor Domin is so unsure of himself and his place. It's wonderful to watch him deal with his new place and duties and most of all with Yuri and his relationship. We actually don't see a lot of them together but we do see their relationship grow. We get to see most of the characters f ...more
BWT (Belen)
Sep 23, 2015 BWT (Belen) rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, mm-fiction
I realize that there were some who complained the lore etc wasn't really fleshed out with the previous books in the series...But I enjoyed them regardless of that.

With the fourth and final book in the Change of Heart series I felt like the story took a backseat to the history, etc. And it was like I was sitting through a history lesson I really didn't want or need.

But then Jin showed up. And it was all good for me from that point on.
Nov 21, 2012 Perpetua rated it it was amazing
***sigh*** it was extremely satisfying! There is not much romance or sex in this book it's mainly about how Domin copes with the new role. It filled in all the questions I had about the last book like why Logan decided Domin would make such a good leader and what exactly happned with him and Yuri/Korain.
Alicia J
I couldn't put it down, which is par for the course with Mary's books. I loved getting Domin's pov, even though it was a bit weird at first since I'm so used to Jin. Fantastic addition to the series though and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Riina Y.T.
`•..• º ..•` O-M-G!!! `•..• º ..•`

What. Just. Happened?

Those last 20%, holy crap, that was insane. I loved it. Though, for the first time in this entire series I was worried. About Jin. About Dom. About Yuri. That really got me. *pheww* I so loved this book, the entire damn thing. A lot. It may not be my favorite of the series but honestly I love Dom He and Yuri are so purrrfect together *swoon*

I enjoyed the story more than I thought I would ((how can you not be heartbroken about saying
Caroline Brand

4.5 Stars

So Mary Calmes did that thing that sometimes terrifies me as a reader. She took a brilliant series and wrote a book that didn’t revolve around the characters that we have grown to love, the two people we think of as that series. This is Domin and Yuri’s story and whilst it is similar it is different. The same laws, the same problems but two very different panthers!

At the end of Honored Vow it became clear a plan had been hatched between Logan and Domin wh
One really has to read the 3 books before this one, even if the couple is a different one, which might be my problem with this book.

It's the fourth book in a series, that I enjoyed despite all odds. Honestly, there are a lot of things that I usually disllike e.g.: instant attraction, then magnetic attraction aka all love Jin, there are a lot of sex scenes and a lot of violence. Here strangely enough I liked the story despite all this, I loved the characters, it's hard not to like Jin, and even L

I’ve fallen off the wagon with this one. It took way too long to get to the fun parts. You know, with all the panther shifting, fighting and blood-letting. And the swoony ‘you are my mate, you must stay by my side’ stuff.

This starts with way too many political titles, tribal rules & regs, and people coming out of the woodwork to keep track of. And the story is told mainly through character dialog, not narrative. So it gets very talky. Mind you, I like Domin and his endless snark but...

I don
To be honest, I was a little skeptical that I would enjoy this fourth novel in the Change of Heart series, as Jin and Logan are not the main characters in this novel, but rather it's Domin's turn in the spotlight, as he settles in to his role as Semel-aten.

While Jin's life completely changed over the course of the previous three books, it was obvious, even as a secondary character, that Domin's life had also turned upon itself. From a Semel who loses not only his position but also his Tribe, his
Books 1 & 2 Change of Heart & Trusted Bond of the series were more romance and less about the intricacies of the werepanther society. Book 3 Honored Vow was a bit more of an immersion into the society but there was still enough romance to satisfy my HEA addiction.

This book (Book 4) is a total immersion into the werepanther society. If like me you were not paying attention to the society details in the first three books, then like me, you will be very lost in this book!

The author builds
This was not a book for me. I am even more disappointed than after the third book.
All pet peeves are in my comments... well, half of them for sure.

At least I don't feel like a complete idiot, being lost and confused: too many people, too many titles, too many interrupted thoughts and sentences - looks like other readers feel the same.

Бардак, одним словом.
  • Body Magic (Triad #2)
  • Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)
  • Blood & Thunder (THIRDS, #2)
  • Strength of the Mate (The Tameness of the Wolf #3)
  • Ascendance: A Dominion Novel
  • Infected: Lesser Evils (Infected, #6)
  • Twin Flames (Sumeria's Sons, #1)
  • Sacrifice (Soul Mates, #3)
  • Unexpected Demands (Hidden Wolves, #2)
  • Three Fates
  • Lone
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Change of Heart (5 books)
  • Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)
  • Trusted Bond (Change of Heart, #2)
  • Honored Vow (Change of Heart, #3)
  • Forging the Future (Change of Heart, #5)