A Bride for All Seasons

A Bride for All Seasons (A Bride for All Seasons)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  113 reviews
This charming bouquet of novellas introduces you to four Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue prospects in the year 1870, all eager for second chances...and hungry for happiness. Year in, year out, they'll learn that love often comes in unexpected packages.

“And Then Came Spring” by Margaret Brownley

Mary-Jo has traveled halfway across the world to meet her match, arrivi...more
Published June 18th 2013 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 1st 2013)

Robin Lee Hatcher
Dec 29, 2013 Robin Lee Hatcher added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I am so proud to be part of this collection. The stories are charming and tied together with an unusual hook that I believe readers are going to love. I don't rate my own books, but since I am only 1/4th of this one, I feel I can at least tell others about it. It is a fun read.

Here are what a few others had to say:

"Delightful at every turn, A Bride For All Seasons gives the "mail order bride plot" a creative––and addictive––new twist. I couldn't read fast enough. With spunk, humor, and tenderhea...more
Shannah Mcclamrock
I loved this collection of novellas from some of my favorite authors. Each story was short and sweet, full of romance and faith, and very enjoyable. I loved all of the characters! I only wish they were a little longer! Because of the shortness of the stories, some of the romance could feel a little rushed, but I kept in mind the fact that these were novellas, not full fledged novels and it helped keep my perspective.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable collection of short stories!
Jordan Mierek
I received a copy of A BRIDE FOR ALL SEASONS from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze. It is known as the Mail-Order Bride Collection, which includes four novellas by well-known Christian writers. Each story involves a different season in 1870: AND THEN CAME SPRING byu Margaret Brownley, AN EVER-AFTER SUMMER by Debra Clopton, AUTUMN’S ANGEL by Robin Lee Hatcher, and WINTER WEDDING BELLS by Mary Connealy. I usually head for novels, but it is fun to read novella collections since you can read one per eve...more
Maureen Timerman
A Bride For All Seasons is a compilation of four authors. All stories are based on the services of The Hitching Post Mail Order Bride Catalogue and its editor Melvin Hitchcock. Now Melvin had the habit of changing words in his applicants letters, quite often he did a lot of embellishing. The four novels are all based on Melvin's plotting, but maybe God had more of a hand in these couples lives than Melvin??
Can you imagine, arriving and meeting your Fiancé, and learning he is dying, and needs you...more
Leah
I usually don’t pick up collections of novellas because I don’t like the lack of development throughout the story. But having enjoyed books by a couple of these authors, I knew I couldn’t pass up the chance to read their novellas as well. I was glad I picked this book up because I found four sweet stories about mail-order brides.

Each of these novellas take place in different seasons (hence the “A Bride for All Seasons”). Each of these couples has been placed together through The Hitching Post, a...more
Stephanie Ziegler
I have never been a fan of short stories together in one book. That is the only reason to take away a star. I feel that sometimes you cannot connect with the characters. You are just reading a story. I love connecting with characters, like I am a part of the story.

"And Then Came Spring" by Margaret Brownley

In this story, you think the mail-order bride catalogue brings the two main characters together, when it was really Eddie. For a child known to be unruly, he is very smart. Even after the deat...more
Tima
Four different brides from four different places and walks in life all answer an ad in the newspaper to become a mail order bride. But the letters must be mailed to the newspaper and then sent on to the prospective groom. And an interfering newspaper editor decides to take love into his own hands and change just a few things. So each bride and groom meet each other with a calamity of misunderstanding and confusion.

When dealing with novellas I take into consideration that the stories are short a...more
Andrea Guy
A Bride For All Seasons is a collection of novellas that revolve around a mail order bride catalog called The Hitching Post.

As the title suggests there is a story for every season. All of them are sweet romances that are Christian in nature without being too preachy.

All four stories are heart warming and sweet. My favorite of the four was Mary Connealy's "Winter Wedding Bells." The relationship between Meg and David felt the most real and heartfelt of them all. Meg had a hard life, she took car...more
Karen Wiser
A Bride for All Seasons: A Mail-Order Bride Collection by Margaret Brownley, Debra Clopton, Mary Connealy, and Robin Lee Hatcher is a lively and entertaining book!

A Bride for All Seasons: A Mail-Order Bride Collection by Margaret Brownley, Debra Clopton, Mary Connealy, and Robin Lee Hatcher is a great compilation of four novelettes. In each piece the reader is jettisoned back into the 1800’s to the commonplace practice of submitting an application to an add agency (The Hitching Post) for a spou...more
Krystal
A Bride for All Seasons was a delightful collection of four different novellas by four different authors, all set in the 1870s. Each story features a different set of characters and locations, but all of them have one thing in common, they each, for their own separate reasons, have decided to turn to the Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue in the hopes of finding their perfect match. The road to true love may not run smooth, but with a little faith, anything is possible.

The collection star...more
Margaret Tidwell
This was a super cute book! I loved that each of the stories were short and it made the book seem to fly by. I also loved how each story was written by a different author. I loved all 4 of the stories and I was sad when each of them ended. I think my favorite one was "Winter Wedding Bells" because I couldn't help but laugh at David and how he was convinced he was going to die. All the stories are super sweet and I can't wait to check out some of the other books the authors have written.
Christa
This was a pleasing anthology containing four mail order bride themed novellas. Each story was interesting, had characters that I wanted to root for, and contained second chances and faith. Each mail order bride finds her potential husband through a magazine called "The Hitching Post," whose editor takes some liberties with the letters sent to him in order to match the submitters to perfect mates.

"And Then Came Spring" by Margaret Brownley is the heartwarming story of Mary-Jo, who travels across...more
Tamera Alexander
Delightful at every turn, A Bride For All Seasons gives the "mail order bride plot" a creative––and addictive––new twist. I couldn't read fast enough. With spunk, humor, and, of course, tenderhearted romance, this anthology is truly made to order!
~Tamera Alexander, USA Today bestselling author of To Whisper Her Name and The Inheritance
Vickie McDonough
Four popular authors have penned an engaging novella collection with a creative and humorous premise. From distressing to delightful, A Bride for all Seasons bounces your emotions around like they’ve been on a bumpy 1800s stagecoach ride, with each story arriving at a highly satisfying ending.
Colletta Miller
This was a great book to get me out of my reading slump. All the stories within are sweet and interesting. I love mail-order-bride books :)
Lisa Phillips
Not something I would normally go for (contemporary suspense not old west sweet) but still a delightful read that flew by.
very enjoyable.
IrenesChristianReviews
What an excellent book! I enjoyed the whole thing! It took me a couple days to read this one as there are multiple stories in it. I enjoyed each story as it was told by a different author about a different woman. I liked the time period, settings and characters. I liked how each couple as issues they have to overcome in order to fall in love. Sometimes you read a historical romance and there really isn’t that great struggle that keeps them apart until the end. Well each of these stories has just...more
Sarah Paulson
VERDICT: Sweet but simple love stories
TAGS: short stories, Christian, romance

The Good:
-Great for a short read before bedtime
-Had Bible verses at the beginning of each story to foreshadow the theme of the plot.
-The stories were nice

The Bad:
-The stories were just nice, nothing more
-I didn't feel a lot of chemistry between any of the characters
-While the stories were uplifting, they weren't exactly inspiring or life-changing in anyway.

Verdict: Want a light read on the beach or before bed? Choose t...more
Elizabeth
A delightful collection of heartwarming stories!
Brandi
A BRIDE FOR ALL SEASONS (A Collection of Novellas)
(*SPOILER ALERT!!!*)
Melvin Hitchcock is such a stinker. Cutting out all the 'flaws' in their letters and ads. He is so annoying! But then again, he's kind of sweet too.

And Then Came Spring - Margaret Brownley
First of all, the whole 'luck' thing was annoying. Mary-Jo was constantly noting things like black cats, spilled salt, stepping on cracks, etc. It was getting on my nerves! I'm very glad she stopped believing in luck in the end.
Mary-Jo was a...more
Hallie Szott
"It all started with an ad in a mail-order bride catalogue..."

It's 1870. Reminders of the Civil War remain littered throughout the country. Scarred by the past, like the slowly healing land, four women seek a better future. Turning to the Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue and its altruistically scheming editor, Melvin Hitchcock, to facilitate a new beginning, each woman finds herself headed West, full of happiness and hope for a fresh start with her unfamiliar groom-to-be. As the couples...more
Haley Keller
This is a collection of four different novellas that tell the experiences of four different mail order brides. In each story, the letters sent between the couple before they meet have been changed, and this leads to a misunderstanding between them. These misunderstandings range from one woman being portrayed as less religious than she is to one woman not knowing that the man she agreed to marry is apparently dying.

Overall, I did enjoy all four of these novellas. I'd never read a story about mail...more
Kym McNabney
A BRIDE FOR ALL SEASONS: THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE COLLECTION is an anthology of four stories by different authors. I love how each story is connected by the Hitching Post Mail Order Bride, yet stands alone.

AND THEN CAME SPRING, by MARGARET BROWNLEY

Having only read two other books by MARGARET BROWNLEY, I was excited to read AND THEN CAME SPRING. The story began with a strong beginning, drawing me right in, just as MS BROWNLY has done in previous books I’ve read by her.

MARY-JO PARKER crossed many mi...more
Dawn
A mail-order bride catalog whose facilitator of the ads submitted has a tendency of editing the ads admits that his "edited" ads have helped four couples find happiness. But what happens when the couples find out about the "creative editing? Four talented authors combine to write these novellas.

And Then Came Spring - Margaret Brownley - Gambler's daughter, Mary Jo Parker, arrives in town to discover that not only has her fiance died, but that he left behind an 8 year old son that was never menti...more
TAMMY CUEVAS
It’s 1870, and four men have placed an ad in Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue, and four young women have sent their replies. Unbeknownst to all involved, Melvin Hitchcock, publisher of the catalogue, edits the ads and correspondence to reflect what he believes they should be saying. Imagine their surprise when the ladies travel to the West to meet their intended husbands and no one is exactly what they were expecting.

A Bride for All Seasons is an anthology of four novellas by four indivi...more
Victor Gentile
Four authors team up in their new book, “A Bride For All Seasons book coverA Bride For All Seasons” published by Thomas Nelson give us three Historical Romances in 1870.

From the back cover: It all started with an ad in a mail-order bride catalogue . . .

Marianne
What fun I had, following the four brides in the A Bride for All Seasons as they set off to join the men who they were pledged to marry, who they had never set eyes on before. Although there are quite a few Mail Order Bride collections around, this one is different in that the editor of the catalog takes it upon himself to “correct” and edit not only the advertisements that are bought and paid for by the men looking for wives, but also their correspondence with each other. This makes for an amus...more
Renn Shearin
It all started with an ad in a mail-order bride catalogue . . .

This charming bouquet of novellas introduces you to four Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue prospects in the year 1870, all eager for second chances . . . and hungry for happiness. Year in, year out, they'll learn that love often comes in unexpected packages.

"And then Came Spring" by Margaret Brownley
Mary-Jo has traveled halfway across the country to meet her match, arriving just in time for his funeral. Returning home seems li...more
Karen & Gerard
Do you like reading clean historical romance books? Do you enjoy mail-order bride stories? I do, so when I saw A Bride For All Season—The Mail-order Bride Collection, I just had to read it and was not at all disappointed. In fact, it is a collection of four novellas by four different authors: And Then Came Spring by Margaret Brownley, An Ever After Summer by Debra Clopton, Autumn’s Angel by Robin Lee Hatcher, and Winter Wedding Bells by Mary Connealy. I loved them all!

This book is so cool becau...more
Karen Korb
About The Book: It all started with an ad in a mail-order bride catalogue . . .

This charming bouquet of novellas introduces you to four Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue prospects in the year 1870, all eager for second chances . . . and hungry for happiness. Year in, year out, they’ll learn that love often comes in unexpected packages.

“And then Came Spring” by Margaret Brownley

• Swept Away (Trouble in Texas, #1)
  • A Match Made in Texas
  • A Patchwork Christmas: Three Christmas Romances with Bonus Handcraft Patterns and Cookie Recipes
  • Safe in His Arms (Under Texas Stars, #2)
  • The Quarryman's Bride (Land of Shining Water, #2)
  • Gunpowder Tea (The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, #3)
  • The Bartered Bride Collection
  • The Anonymous Bride (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #1)
  • A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides, #1)
  • Under a Blackberry Moon (Michigan Northwoods, #3)
A Note from Robin: I schedule Goodreads giveaways every month. If you're interested in my books, please become a "Goodreads fan" so that you'll be notified of my giveaways when they occur.

Official Bio: Robin Lee Hatcher discovered her vocation as a novelist after many years of reading everything she could put her hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and ketchup bottles. The winner of the...more
More about Robin Lee Hatcher...
A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1) Belonging (Where the Heart Lives, #1) Dear Lady (Coming to America #1) Fit to Be Tied (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #2) Catching Katie