Start by marking “Jack Templar, Monster Hunter (The Templar Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jack Templar, Monster Hunter (The Templar Chronicles, #1)

Jack Templar, Monster Hunter (The Templar Chronicles #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  126 reviews
Orphan Jack Templar has no memory of his parents and only the smallest details from his Aunt Sophie about how they died. The day before Jack's fourteenth birthday, things start to change for him. At first it's great: A sudden new strength helps him defend his nose-picking friend "T-Rex" from the school bully, and even his crush, Cindy Adams, takes notice. But then a myster ...more
Published October 17th 2012 by Seven Guns Press (first published October 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Jack Templar, Monster Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack Templar, Monster Hunter

Joy (joyous reads)
Jack Smith is about to hit the ripe age of fourteen; the age when he starts noticing (more than usual, anyway) the cutest girl in the class and stops saying, ‘ewww girls has cooties’ and such. It’s that age when he notices some physical changes on his body, least of all the changes in his voice signaling the onset of puberty. But Jack Smith is about to hit serious freak stature when, in a span of a day, he realizes he can bench press 90 lbs, run like an Olympian and block punches from a meaty bu ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

It has been a while since I have read a true middle grade book. I read lots of children's books and young adult books but a book aimed for middle school kids? Not for a long long time. I'm just going to start by saying that I'm not the target audience for this book. This book is clearly aimed for early teen boys. Will 11 and 12 year old boys love this book? I really think so.

This book is excitement through and through. There is blood and guts and beheading (pretty gruesome for me b
Renee
My daughter and I read and reviewed this book for Mother Daughter Book Reviews. Here's what we have to say about it:

DAUGHTER SAYS:

This story is about a boy named Jack Templar who, when he turns 14, turns into a Monster Hunter. Then a bunch of changes start happening in his life. He has to kill all the monsters especially the vampire named Ren Lucray. I wish the cover showed more people other than Jack so I could see what they look like. When I first saw the cover, it looked like Jack was a man,
Mike (the Paladin)
Look I gave this a 4 star rating but there are some major things I've got to say here. I spent a great deal of time shoving down my annoyance at the writing and the characters.

So remember, this does get a 4 star rating.

First, this is a kid's book. To say YA may give a false idea of it. The tone, the writing all of it is just so...young and elementary. The "hero" Jack is supposed to be just turning 14 but he sounds much younger at times.

Now I have tried to push some of the annoyance back as obvio
Inspired Kathy
Dec 18, 2012 Inspired Kathy marked it as to-read
I'm setting up a blog tour & book blast for Jack Templar:
Katy
Feb 18, 2014 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those seeking boy-oriented MG/YA fiction/urban fantasy
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Middle Grade (12 and up)
Recommended for: People who have been looking for a boy-friendly MG to YA urban fantasy, people who like MG to YA urban fantasy
Trigger Warnings: violence, fighting, betrayal

My Thoughts: I had noticed this book a number of times, and been waffling on it, until I read Kriss Morton’s excellent review and feature. That decided me and I finally decided to go ahead and accept this book for review.

Ever have one of those days? Yeah, s
Dianne
Jack is in for the shock of his life! He goes from a normal boy to a super hero on his fourteenth birthday! Not only is he expected to save the world from evil, he may very well be the last of his kind! Pretty heavy stuff for an orphaned boy who lived with is loving aunt!

Jack and his friends are priceless! They act and react like the kids they are! They talk about things kids talk about, deal with things kids deal with in school!

Jack did not start out a hero. He wasn't in the school's top cliche
Sher A. Hart
Jack Templar was a fun and fast read, a page turner the whole way. It started with a warning and the main character often talked to the audience in Percy Jackson style. The formula certainly works for the target audience, middle grade boys, and I'm sure some younger ones will love it too. I'm pretty sure young girls will like the book almost as much as boys because I once was one--young that is. I'm still female, thanks.

I think I've gone soft. What I liked best was the humor. I always love awkwa
Jamie
Quite the introduction to a new series. I can saw up front that this series is very engaging and entertaining. The book has me amused from the very beginning with Jack's warning to all readers. So you easily feel like a part of the story.

Jack is your everyday teen. One day away from his 14th birthday and his whole life is about to go from ordinary to anything but. He meets some strange individuals and it attacked my a monster! Soon he hinds out he is wanted by the monsters (more officially known
 CCAM&GZM
First of all I must say that I’m awesome. No, is not me who says this (is not like I’m bragging), it’s Jack: „you’re a girl awesome enough to be reading this book”. Now, let's get to work.

“You only know the very surface of our world”

If you liked knight stories that crossed through history and that have heated our imagination with their adventures and struggles against the most terrible fantastic or human enemies and eventually break through despite all the odds that seemed against them, then yo
Kim Justice
Jan 02, 2013 Kim Justice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: reviewed
My honest thoughts and opinions on this wonderful, mysterious, fantasy and a book that I would give to any one of my grandchildren to read, is a guaranteed book and author that I would recommend to all who love some amazing fantasy in their lives.

Okay with that being said, you can understand that this was an amazing book for me. I really loved the characters and the story line is so well written that it flows so well from the start to the finish.

To say that I enjoyed this book is an understate
Nickie
Jack is a pretty normal almost-fourteen year old. He lives with his Aunt Sophie, spends his day in boredom at school, and hangs out with his friends, Will and T-Rex. But as his fourteenth birthday draws nearer, Jack starts noticing some changes.

He's gotten stronger. A LOT stronger. And faster, too. He chalks it to finally hitting a growth spurt and the extra hours he's been putting in to working out.

Then there's the way his principal stares at him. She was always a little creepy before, but now
Beverley Afghan
I have recently read the book Jack Templar Monster Hunter. I found it very enjoyable and thank you for letting me read this interesting book. Here is my review.
Jack Templar Monster Hunter is a thrilling, action-packed book about a young boy who is suddenly thrown into an unknown world of danger and monsters on his fourteenth birthday. As he learns dark secrets and discovers his past and future readers will be swept away in a whirlwind of intrigue, action and fun. This book is a wonderful read,
Kathie Abel
“Jack Templar Monster Hunter” by Jeff Gunhus keeps the reader on the edge of the chair for the whole story. Never has any thirteen-year-old had a fourteenth birthday to rival the amazing circumstances Jack and his friends find themselves embroiled in.

Mild mannered and almost geeky Jack Smith, awakens one morning to find changes happening to his thirteen-year-old body that he can’t explain. But these changes are not the ordinary signs of growing up - they are much more baffling and, frankly, unex
Kate
Gayle
This book was written for middle aged children by Jeffrey Gunhus. I'm not a middle aged child but perhaps the book brings out the child in you SO read it and be a child for a while.

The beginning is with an orphan, Jack Smith. He lives in the little town of Sunnyvale with his Aunt Sophie. Supposedly his parents died when he was an infant. He knows nothing of his past.

As with all of us, when we get to be a teen our whole world seems to change. Everything you think is one way turns out to be just t
Michelle
Jack Templar Monster Hunter was such a great read. It's fun for adults and kids a like. After about the 3rd Chapter I downloaded it on my 11 year old sons Kindle and we started reading it together. "MOM this is the best monster book EVER" were his exact words. There was just enough monster action to keep me turning the pages and not too much blood and gore that a he would get scared. This is a great story for anyone. It was written so well. From the introduction of the first monster to the last ...more
Donna
I love having fun while I read a book. I laughed out loud at Jack's warnings during the first few pages of the book and was intrigued enough to keep reading. I'm glad I did. This is an amazing story. Jack is a great character, I mean, monster hunter.

This story is well written. Not too scary for young children. A bit of fantasy/horror mixed together. The characters are well developed. The story fast paced and interesting.

I started reading the warnings aloud to my 12 year old son. He was interest
Jack Templar thinks his name is Jack Smith. He thinks he is a normal teenager about to celebrate his fourteenth birthday. But, he is wrong about everything. He really doesn't know as much about himself as he thought. His birthday brings him face to face with who he truly is and what he must do with the rest of his life, that he is a monster hunter, and is actually from a long line of monster hunters. He doesn't have a whole lot of time to prepare for this new identity that has been thrust upon h ...more
Bill Tillman
Wad up? Just finished this review now it shows no review. Ok, this is one great little MG book! Hooks you from the first page and does not let up. Jack will turn 14 tomorrow, but not before one of the wildest rides of YA fiction. Every page jumps out at you with another surprise, well every other page is more like it. It will be a very hard to put down book. Enjoy.

Ok pretty good first book, rough in a few places but overall I liked it. This is worth reading for any MGer, YA or YA Fantasy.

[[ASIN:
Freda mans
Right away the author grabs your attention. It's the best beginning I have ever read. Gosh, I laughed. Thankfully, it's not true though, but you would have to read the book to get that statement.
I would agree kids ages 10 and up would be appropriate for this book. Kids younger will be scared silly, heck, maybe the older ones will be too, but then again, that is part of the fun in the story.
Great writing, very clever, an exciting story, and wonderful characters make up this book.
A big thumbs up f
Gabrielle Elser
Do you have reluctant readers in your family? A reluctant reader is anyone who does not show interest in reading. There is a wide range within the category of reluctant readers. A reluctant reader may simply be a child who needs to be coaxed into reading texts. She may also be a child who vehemently refuses to read. While any child, young or old, male or female can be a reluctant reader the largest number of unenthusiastic readers are adolescent boys. Research shows that a good number of boys wh ...more
Eric Buffington
I read the first chapter of this book and pretty much had a good idea that it would be a fun, clean, middle-grade level book. It met those expectations.

The book follows Jack Templar, a young man who is turning 14 and begins to realize that he is destined to be a Monster Hunter. No spoiler there (it's in the title). It was a fun read, the story is told as narrated by Jack, so we get to see his personality and thoughts very clearly which helps us get to know him very well. Because he was narrating
Kirstin Pulioff
This book starts off following Jack Templar on the eve of his fourteenth birthday. He's in for the quite the birthday... he doesn't get your typical gift, but instead discoverers that he is the last in a long line of monster hunters... and all the monsters are on their way to find him. This unfurls into the most amazing of adventures, self-discovery, and life changing events.

I love middle grade books that don't dumb things down, but take an honest approach at real situations and show how that af
Cindy Barton
Do you believe in monsters? I am not referring to those that hide in your closet or under your bed but the ones that are real....the wolves, vampires and zombies just to name a few. Jack Smith (Templar) is just an ordinary 13 year old kid until the day before his 14th birthday. Suddenly he is thrust into a world he never knew existed, one in which he must learn to fight against the monsters and he must learn to do this quickly because they are coming for him.

I found myself enjoying this read. I
Nikki Bennett
This is a fun start to the series. I enjoyed it--it had just enough of a different twist to make it interesting. There's a lot of action to keep kids' interest, a bunch of gory monster fights, lots of surprising twists and turns, and a neat background story. I liked how Jack starts this book with a warning to all readers (although I thought it went on a little too long) on how if you read the book, you're now under the curse of being a monster hunter too (kind of like "The Ring" curse, for kids) ...more
Linda
Jack Smith was going to be fourteen tomorrow, and he felt different. In the bathroom. he noticed the change in his face and bulging arms as if he lifted weights, then ran to the basement to lift weights. His aunt Sophie called down to him that breakfast was ready and he zipped up the stairs, ate foe five kids, then ran down the long driveway. He was late to school but decided to slam a ball in the goal left at a empty home, and he slammed it down with no problem as he thought he had flown throug ...more
Robinson Recalde
This book was like a huge deep breathe between others more complicated books, like the rest you take after a long day of work, after a lot of letter you read everyday.

It only took me two days to finish the book and it was two days because I had others thing to do. I really liked this book, the vocabulary was easy to follow (english is not my native tongue) and the story was incredible well written, yes, I would love more details, more character development, but for the things that this book was
Heather Langston
This was fun! One I can see young boys (and possibly girls) just loving to death and even, quite possibly, acting out some of the story (safely, of course...put any swords up out of reach!) It's fast paced and, in my opinion, not really that bloody. Violent? Well, naturally...what else is a boy to do when coming up against monsters? But bloody? Nah. Now if your kiddo isn't crazy about monsters, I wouldn't recommend this (like I'd be a little iffy reading this one to my 6 year old). But for those ...more
Karen
This story is for readers about 12 years old and up. It initially seems like a Percy Jackson kinda story which it kinda is but not in a copycat kind of way. This story has adventure, sadness, suspense and true friendship in it.

you meet Jack who will turn 14 tomorrow and is an orphan who has always been raised by his aunt. Jack has one of those days that everything that could happen does. He wakes up stronger and quicker. His aunt seems sad that he is almost 14. He meets a stranger on his way to
Free ebook 1 7 Dec 20, 2012 01:54AM
Author Talk: Jack Templar Monster Hunter 1 4 Nov 13, 2012 03:03AM
  • Escucha Means Listen
  • Moonlit (Moonlit, #1)
  • Red Madrassa (Algardis, #1)
  • Spell Fire (Teen Wytche Saga #3)
  • Talisman of El (Talisman of El #1)
  • Blast of the Dragon's Fury (Andy Smithson, #1)
  • The Newstead Project
  • Matt Archer: Blade's Edge (Matt Archer #2)
  • Fire Prophet (Son of Angels, #2)
  • Phoebe Pope and the Year of Four (Shapers, #1)
  • A Hard Act to Follow
  • Escape From The Forbidden Planet
  • The Cypher (Guardians Inc. #1)
  • The Battle for Princess Madeline
  • The Puppet Spell
  • Blue Hearts of Mars
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Darkin: A Journey East
Jeff Gunhus is the author of the Middle Grade/YA series The Templar Chronicles. The first book, Jack Templar Monster Hunter, was written in an effort to get his reluctant reader eleven-year old son excited about reading. It worked and a new series was born. Jeff is also the co-CEO of a national company with over 4,000 employees that has been featured in national media for its unique opportunity fo ...more
More about Jeff Gunhus...
Night Chill Jack Templar and the Monster Hunter Academy (The Templar Chronicles #2) Killer Within (An Allison McNeil Thriller) Jack Templar and the Lord of the Vampires (The Templar Chronicles, #3) Night Terror (Night Chill Book 2)