Start by marking “Too Many Frogs!” as Want to Read:
Too Many Frogs!

Too Many Frogs!

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Rabbit lives alone. He cooks for himself, cleans up for himself, and at the end of the day, reads himself a story. It's a simple life, and he likes it. But one evening, Froggie shows up at his door. He wants to listen to Rabbit's story, too. While eating a snack-or three. While lounging on a pillow-or ten. And bringing over his family-dozens and dozens of frogs! Rabbit has ...more
Published February 17th 2005 by Philomel Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Too Many Frogs!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Many Frogs!

Allison Parker
Son (age 6) says...
"I like the frog family, because they are funny. The big one has funny eyes and a big smile. One is upside-down. They keep on knocking on the rabbit's door. I like it when they say 'toodle-oo!' And they have so many snacks when the rabbit reads to them."

Mom says...
A book that's silly in the best way. You'll appreciate it if you've ever longed for a moment's peace, only to have your solitude wrecked by persistent interruption! Rabbit is stuck in a rut of routine, comfortable bu
Bryce Akey
I thought that “Too Many Frogs” was a great children’s book. This book is about a Rabbit that does all the cooking and other duties for himself, and every night he reads himself a story. One night Froggie comes to his door and asks to listen to a story. As the nights go by Froggie keeps bringing more and more of his frog relatives to Rabbit’s house. Rabbit couldn't handle the dozens of frogs in his living room and told Froggie and all his relatives to leave. After a few nights go by Rabbit gets ...more
Hailee Gorges
This is a really cute children's book. It has good illustrations and a great lesson can be learned from reading this book. This book is about a character named Rabbit, he does everything for himself until one night Froggie knocks at his door and wants to listen to a story. The next few nights Froggie brought over more of his relatives and Rabbit had enough and made everyone leave. Rabbit soon learns it's better have friends to share things with than to be sitting alone. I would recommend this bo ...more
Latosha Finch
This story is about a rabbit who reads to himself at the end of each day. One particular day, Froggie comes over to hear Rabbit read. Froggie returns again the next few evenings. One evening Froggie brought his whole family. Rabbit was frustrated with Froggie and said there were too many frogs. This story can be used for students at an instructional level. Teacher can model utilizing context clues in order to determine the unknown words in the story. This is a story that students can read for fu ...more
Jess Watson
Such a cute little story! The illustrations really bring out the characters and make you see it in action. The facial expressions on the characters help you really connect and understand how they are feeling and acting in the story! The repetition in the story is great as well for you are able to get your children to read along with you and stay engaged. Read many many times to my nanny kids and they just adored froggie and rabbit! It got them laughing and then saying the words along with the bo ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Asher, Sandy. (2005). Too Many Frogs! Graves, K. New York: Scholastic, Inc.

Literary Genre: Picture Storybook

Rabbit lives by himself, cooks for himself, tidies up after himself, and at the end of every day, he reads himself a story. Rabbit likes his simple, no fuss, no clutter way of life. Then one night, Froggie comes “knock-knockety-knocking” at Rabbit’s door and invites himself inside to listen to Rabbit’s story. Froggie is prone to fuss and clutter and after several visits to Rabbit’s house
Use this charming book to teach social skills: Rabbit is overwhelmed by boisterous Froggie, reacts with anger and ultimately stretches out of his comfort zone to find friendship and belonging. We use this book to teach during "Random Acts of Kindness" week.

Use it for English to teach rhyme and onomatopoeia, too.
Each night Rabbit cooks for himself, cleans up for himself, and reads a story to himself. On one evening, Froggie comes knock-knockety-knocking at Rabbit's door and decides to invite himself in to listen to Rabbit's story. Each night thereafter, Froggie appears once again to hear a story but first he wants to have a snack, or next to lounge on a pillow until eventually he brings his entire family over to hear Rabbit's story. Rabbit sees this as way to much and tells Froggie he will have to go! A ...more
Elizabeth S
Seen as an isolated book, this is a fun little story with interesting pictures. It was enjoyable to read. I gave it three stars because it is a good book.

The problem I have is that it joins the overwhelming ranks of today's books and movies and TV shows that teach the "moral" that an organized life is boring even if you think you like it. If one just gives disorder a try (or has it thrust upon one), one finds that one likes it. Now this is not to say that there isn't anyone who needs to loosen u
My daughter, almost 3, loves the goofy illustrations, and I love the visual details, like the braided rug made of growing grass and flowers. But I love the message in particular, that you might think that you're happy with a very organized, solitary life. However, we should leave ourselves open to new experiences and people who might seem chaotic and messy, at first, but who may enrich our lives and open us up to new things.
Genre: Concept
Copyright Date: 2005

I read this in class to my preschoolers. They picked the book because of the frogs on the cover. I really enjoyed the moral of the story having those unexpected and sometimes unwanted quests come over. I could relate to this, however the students didn't get the point to the book but they loved the illustrations. So i guess this book had a little something for everybody.
She still picks it off the shelf to read at bedtime. The illustrations are such that you pick out a new detail on each read. She loves the ladybug lampshade, mushrooms and daisies growing on carpet, and the pictures on the walls. It lacks proper punctuation in many spots, which my daughter noticed, but the story is great. It emphasizes reading and the transformative power of sharing stories.
The lexington children's theatre performed a play based on this book a while ago and Maren got to see it with her Grandma. Ever since, it has been a favorite. I like it too. The story is cute and it makes me think back to when I used to be without kids and how life has changed and become more messy and stressful, but I'd miss them if they were gone.
Ha ha! This was great! Wonderful illustrations. Cute story. Relatable characters. Good lessons (if so chosen to be learned). Funny book titles. A happy ending. I really liked it. It would make a great story time or lap read--complete with voices, of course. I would recommend to all just for sheer cuteness and silly humor.
Rabbit is trying to read a book when Froggie shows up at the door. Rabbit reads him a story and after that, Froggie keeps showing up uninvited and with more and more people. What can Rabbit do?

The art is acrylic paint, inks, and pencil color on illustration board.
We've been reading this on an at least weekly basis for months, ever since my husband's aunt gave it to J. He absolutely loves the croaky voice of Froggy, his silly rituals, and the fact that he wears down Rabbit and his rigid routines.

This is a great read aloud.
rabbit liked his quiet, neat, solitary and orderly life. or at least he thought he did. when a friendly frog drops by--over and over again--to hear rabbit read stories, rabbit learns that almost everything is more enjoyable with a friend.
Emily Goodin
This book was really good! It has many good lessons in it, like sharing, and making friends, and dealing with loneliness. It could be used for many different lessons, or just for entertainment. I would used it for grades K-5.
Rabbit lives alone, and that's the way he likes it. His life revolves around routine & tidiness. Frog desides to be-friend rabbit, but if rabbit wants to have friends and really live life, he will have to chill out a bit.
Jean Oram
Bunny wabbit just wants to be left. a. lone. But these frogs just keep popping in. All he wants to do is read his book. Will he ever find a solution? He doesn't want to hurt the feelings of the frogs.
Rabbit has a special bedtime routine that he enjoys very much until frog invites himself in.
A great book to use as a read-aloud to discuss themes of the story.

Themes: routines, manners, sharing
Andrea Retana
Too Many Frogs!, Sandy Asher, Grade: K-2, Frogs

It is good great book to read aloud.
Its illustration are colorful.
It has simple structure sentence.
It is good book for young readers.
Jul 07, 2009 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like reading aloud
A great, fun, little story about a rabbit who loves to read, and a slightly overexuberant frog who loves to listen. Great story, especially for reading aloud if you like doing voices.
This book is so cute, but I like it so much because it strikes a personal note. The "no fuss, no clutter" rabbit reminds me a lot of my husband so we like reading this book to him :)
Me: Why did you like this book? Faith: Because there was a bunny on it.

In all seriousness, this is a great book to read aloud. A good message about friends and feelings.
Feb 17, 2010 Brooke added it
This book was read to me. I really enjoyed the cute story about a lonely man and his friendly visitor. A good story about how much fun friends bring to our lives.
This book is really fun for kids to read and it simultaneously brings up the topics of etiquette and boundaries. I love that!
I collect frog books, and this is a wonderful edition to my collection.

My nephews love to look for frog books for me.
Whitney Peck
A cute book that actually made me giggle and the illustrations are hilariously humanistic while still cute cartoon animals
Frogs, frogs everywhere. This book shares how too many frogs can be a bad thing but there is nothing worse than being lonely.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Two Speckled Eggs
  • Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake
  • Woolbur
Sandy Asher, a playwright and children's author, is probably best known for her young-adult novels and other prose works for young readers. Drawing many of the ideas and characters for her writings from her childhood memories, Asher has earned critical praise and numerous awards for novels such as Just like Jenny, Things Are Seldom What They Seem, and Everything Is Not Enough. In addition to ficti ...more
More about Sandy Asher...