Start by marking “One Ted Falls out of Bed” as Want to Read:
One Ted Falls out of Bed
Preview

One Ted Falls out of Bed

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A nighttime counting adventure from the author of The Giants and the Joneses.

After dark, the only place a teddy bear wants to be is tucked in bed with his child. But this poor ted has fallen out of bed. He’s not very good at climbing, and his child won’t wake up. How can he get back in?

Luckily, three mice have some ideas. They take him on the adventure of his life, zooming
Published May 30th 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about One Ted Falls out of Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Ted Falls out of Bed

Bobbie Jo
‘One Ted Falls Out of Bed’, by Julia Donaldson, is a delightful story about a bear’s adventures on the night he fell out of bed. Ted the bear meets all sorts of characters, such as the 3 mice and the 7 trolls and gets up to all sorts of mischief as the story counts up to ten, then back down until Ted is back in bed.
In terms of use in the classroom, this story could be used quite effectively in early year’s mathematics. This is because the author uses clear and easily relatable objects and toys t
Aoife Fitzpatrick
I read this to my little nephew and he really enjoyed. I also thoroughly enjoyed reading it to him as the lyrical rhyming creates an excellent flow to the story.

The story consists of a little teddy that falls out of his owner’s bed. From here we get an account of Ted’s adventure trying to get back into the bed moving up a number ladder each time e.g. three mice, four cars and five bright stars etc. The counting to nine continues, when they try to build a stairs back up to the bed, but a big cra
Rose
This delightful book is about a teddy bear who falls out of bed in the night and has to figure out how to get back in to bed. The story describes all the fun he has in the night with all his friends that are in the bedroom. I personally like the book because it flows really well and I enjoy the lyrical quality of the story. It's simple yet made engaging for children through the detailed illustrations and the counting and rhyming.

This book is really well suited for children aged 0-7 years. It's a
Anouschka Fernander
This book is about a little teddy bear who falls out of bed at night, and since he can't reach the bed to climb back in, he decides to play with some of the other toys. After a while though, he begins to miss bed and makes stairs using one, two, three..... TEN RED BRICKS which then crash. There are a lot of numbers being used, from the number of toys he plays with up to ten bricks and then it counts backwards down to "Two eyes open wide. And one ted... Is back in bed."

There is lots of rhyme whic
Kate
A delightfully simple counting story, One Ted Falls Out of Bed tells the story of the adventures one little girl's teddy has, when he falls out of bed, and his journey to get back where he came from.

The story begins with Ted discovering the different toys and creatures that inhabit the little girl's room at night, from the three mice he first meets right up to the nine frogs playing musical instruments. There are pictures alongside each line of the story, so children can practise their counting
Jules (Never enough time to read)
One ted falls out of bed is a simple but really sweet story that has become a favourite in our house. It is beautifully illustrated and seems to be one of the books my daughter heads for first. I do think it is a little short but it is so far the best counting story I have came across.

Definitely a family favourite.
Bella
A lovely counting, rhyming book. I love it because it has a bit of a story and it's whimsical, whilst still going over 1 to 10.

It's my favourite of all our counting books, however my toddler hasn't enjoyed it as much as another of Ms Donaldson's counting books, I would guess because it's not as bright and the text is a little longer, so may it's suitable for a slightly older toddler (she's 2.5 so maybe for a 3 year old?).
Nadine
This picture book tells the journey of Ted's adventure back into his bed, whilst incorporating numeracy -focusing on counting from one to ten. It is a simple picture book and would be inviting to a younger child due to the illustrations and short sentances on each page, making the book attractive to a younger reader. It is a complex story, a situation the younger reader might relate to; when their favourite bed time toy falls out of bed and the child awakening when they feel their toy missing. T ...more
Whole And
Awwwwwwwww, is the best way to describe Julia Donaldson and Anna Currey's counting book.

A sweet bear named Ted has an adventure when he falls out of bed with all the toys in the room but misses his spot on the bed.

Soft and sweet while learning to count, a wonderful read.

Adam
Sweet story and beautiful illustrations! The child in the story inadvertently loses his bear when sleeping. The bear has some small adventures in an attempt to get back into bed, and is eventually reunited when the child sleepily retrieves the bear off the floor in those mid-slumber not-really-awake moments.

Great counting book perfect for the toddler and preschool crowd. The illustrations contain just the right amount of detail that will keep them engaged and is true to the text. Some counting
Alisonsdobbs
Another winner from Donaldson. Wonderful quirky rhymes, beautiful cadence, a counting book, a bedtime book and a story book with lovely diverse illustrations. One that parents won't get tired of rereading.
Emkoshka
A sweet little rhyming counting book featuring a cute as buttons teddy bear and a variety of toys who help him try and get back into bed. The page with the trolls took me right back to my 80s childhood!
Oluwatobi Majekodunmi
This story is a great counting story,fect for Julia has a gifted way of engaging young minds during. this book is perfect for reception aged children. Its illustrations are also captivating and fun. i also enjoy reading this bok to my little neice, she cannot get enough of it.
highly recommended.

'One ted falls out of bed.
How will he ever get back in?
Count with Ted from one to ten as he goes on an amazing night-time adventure.'

Oh dear - Ted is out of bed, and his owner is too fast asleep to notice
Talia
One of my son's current favourites. He just loves pointing at all the little details in the drawings and hearing the rhyming words. Very sweet.
Barbara
This is a very busy bedroom for being a kids room in the middle of the night. Ted and his friends are clever.
Robin Rousu
Excellent counting book. Highly recommended for ages 1-4.
Maria
This book has been a Christmas gift to no less than three separate children, because both my husband and I agree it is one of the most fun books to read as an adult - and heaven knows you need books worth repeating!

Simple, sweet, a clever counting book with a great rhyme scheme - this book is a gem. Highly recommended for any child's library.
Phoenix
Really really love the book. Nice illustration, simple counting rhyme and easy to follow. I think I liked it more than my daughter.
Jenne
A cute counting book. I look forward to reading it again with my daughter when she starts to learn her numbers.
Karissa
This is a cute counting book and also has some rhyming in it. This would be great for a kindergarten classroom :)
Markie Jones
It's a very sweet counting book that my children loved. It has potential to become a family favourite.
Sonia
A lovely little story, a pleasure to read. Good as a quick "just one more" story.
Dean
A really good book for nursery I helps to teach counting to ten in a fun way.
Gwen
A very cute story with beautiful illustrations.
Stories & Songs: Inside & Outside
Luke
Good for counting on and backwards
Michelle
This is a really nice counting story.
Megan B
Cute, simple, counting theme.
  • Two at the Zoo
  • The Teddy Bear
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Red Truck
  • Edwina the Emu
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • Up, Down, and Around
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho
More about Julia Donaldson...
The Gruffalo Room on the Broom The Gruffalo's Child The Snail and the Whale Stick Man