Start by marking “Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,276 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
THIS BOOK HAS BEEN UPDATED AND REPLACED BY "Scaling Up: How a Few Companies ""Make It...and Why the Rest Don t "(Rockefeller Habits 2.0)."" Scaling Up is a re-formatted, full-color version of "Mastering the Rockefeller Habits" with new material not found in the original. In "Scaling Up," Verne Harnish and his team share practical tools and techniques for building an indust ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Gazelles Inc. (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mastering the Rockefeller Habits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastering the Rockefeller Habits

Chad Warner
Feb 04, 2014 Chad Warner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: David Steenwyk, Aaron Schaap
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This guide to leadership and business growth is aimed at mid-size firms, so I didn’t find it very applicable at present. It builds on popular business books by authors such as Jim Collins and Stephen Covey. It’s intended for businesses large enough to have an executive/leadership team and an internal newsletter. My web design company, OptimWise, is still quite small (currently me and several subcontractors). Perhaps I’ll get more out of it in a few years.

I like how Harnish emphasizes the importa
Jeff
Oct 06, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-book-list
How-to versus theoretical book. Enjoyed it.

Some take-aways:
"If you want to teach people a new way of thinking, don't bother trying to teach them. Instead, give them a tool, the use of which will lead to new ways of thinking." Buckminster Fuller.

1. Have a handful of rules.
2. Repeat yourself a lot.
3. Act consistently with those rules.

Three underlying habits of a growing firm:
1. Priorities: Does the organization have Top 5 Priorities?
2. Data: Does the organization have sufficient data on a
Игорь Емельянов
Книга «Правила прибыльных стартапов» в оригинале называется «Mastering of the Rockefeller Habits», что дословно переводится как «Освоение привычек Рокфеллера». Это название менее понятное и куда менее сфокусированное, чем перевод, выбранный издательством. Но оно чуть более честное и объясняет, что именно вы прочтете в книге. Уже на этапе названия вам становится понятна основная мысль. Шикарный подарок! Посему, рекомендую не пренебрегать беглым просмотром форзаца с названием книги на языке оригин ...more
Meredith
Oct 10, 2012 Meredith rated it really liked it
What I got from this book:
1) Have only a handful of rules
2) Repeat yourself alot
3) Act consistently with those rules

x factor: identify the chokepoint in your business & gain control of it. (Ex. Rcokefeller's key to winning the oil business was gaining an advantage in transportation. ie railroads)

GE's 3 keys to success
1) In planning - themiddle is gone. where do you want to be in 10-15 years
2) Keep it simple
3) Best data is firsthand data - teach people

Strategies need to pass the test
1) What
Thomas Southwick
Nov 10, 2011 Thomas Southwick rated it really liked it
The difficulty of "Mastering the Rockefeller Habits" by Verne Harnish was that it was a bit hard to overcome but after a few pages i got used to the writing style. What i liked about this difficult book is that it is advanced for my age or grade, but this gave me the confidence to read advanced books in the future that i felt i couldn't of have in the past. The reason i feel this was a big advantage for my life and advancement in my reading is because i want to be very successful on Wall Street ...more
Kevin Mccray
Jun 27, 2013 Kevin Mccray rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
I agree with the catalyst behind this book; most companies are misaligned, lack focus and have robust oxymoronic networks of un-prioritized activities. In Mastering the Rockefeller Habits, Harnish provides practical advise for top-down alignment. He keeps topics simple and gives his readers access to a ton of free content, mostly templates used as tools for organizational alignment. Like all template-based strategy worksheets I've seen, his templates are mostly useful for communicating strategy ...more
Devin Partlow
Jan 25, 2014 Devin Partlow rated it liked it
Anytime I hear someone say Good to Great is a top 10 business book, alarm bells go off in my head. Finding common things among "successful" business suffers from the Survivorship bias.

But outside of that and him being such a smooth talker (another thing that tingles my spidey senses), it is a pretty practical book and he does offer up some ideas that are worth trying out.
Itzel Auri
Jun 14, 2015 Itzel Auri rated it really liked it
A lot of great advices and strategies. If you can read Good to great by Jim Collins first do it. It will help you to understand It better.
Keith Grossman
Jan 15, 2015 Keith Grossman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is focused on giving businesses tools to improve to their ability to create a great business. The focus is on the business
• determining its core values,
• sharing and constantly repeating the core values,
• developing strategies and processes for the employees that support the core values,
• establishing and measuring goals, and
• holding people accountable to achieve the goals.

Some of the more important advice:
• Planning should be looked at in 90 day windows and 10 – 25 years from now
Leslie
Aug 09, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Harnish thoroughly explained how to develop a one-page strategic plan while providing excellent, practical industry examples. Although this book is geared towards growing companies, there were many takeaways for startup, or non-growth companies. The one-page strategic plan provides an excellent framework for any business or organization to use. I particularly like the methods of using quantifiable "critical #'s" to gauge the status and progress of a company.
Cayleigh
Dec 22, 2012 Cayleigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
I had to read this book for a Leadership Seminar for work and actually quite enjoyed it. Harnish works off of a few basic principles that can be applied to get tasks done and see results at work. 1. Keep things SIMPLE, 2. Repetition, if you are going to make goals, only make one page of goals so that you are not overwhelmed, etc. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who leads a team of people, regardless of what type of work you do. It isn’t too long and the chapters are easy to read ...more
Rick Yvanovich
A fast speaking narrator, it took a while to adjust and was a little had dot listen to whilst running. Found myself nodding my head in agreement to some parts and shaking my head on others. Its the head shaking that concerned me, did I really disagree or was I being resistant to change.
There is definitely some value in the wisdom in this book, just need to work out how to convert it into something practical that I can effectively use.
Steve Gerencser
Dec 01, 2013 Steve Gerencser rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Mastering Rockefeller Habits has some great ideas in it. But they are far from one size fits all and many smaller businesses will struggle with some of the core components promoted here.

Items such as having multiple "Most Important Tasks" can cause a small business to struggle with completing any of them. But other ideas such as the BHAG are important to every company of every size. The BHAG is not quite a mission statement, but more of an 'if we could do anything, we would do this' type of goa
Karen Jett
Jun 04, 2010 Karen Jett rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: business owners
This book should be required reading for anyone who is running their own business, or thinking about starting one. This is a book about strategy and how it sets your business apart.

While many of the examples given are from large companies (The Scooter Store, The Container Store) the principles illustrated apply just as easily to small companies. It's just a matter of scaling it down and modifying the content to fit your small company or practice.

I had this book on my reading list because I have
Tiffany
Jul 12, 2015 Tiffany rated it liked it
A mercifully short business book. I like the book for its simplicity. The author provides an overview chapter that essentially acts as a book summary for those without time to dive deeper. He then provides one short chapter to explain each concept. I walked away from this book with a few questions and tools to add into my toolkit. A very reasonable return on the investment of my time.
Rusty Fulling
April 2011 - Author Verne Harnish presents a strategic framework to increasing the value of your firm. He uses a similar approach and references to "The Great Game of Business" book by Jack Stack.

Harnish does cover some valuable topics, such as creating you top 5 goals for the year and focusing on your top 1 of the 5.
PeterBlackCoach
Jan 25, 2016 PeterBlackCoach rated it really liked it
Very easy to read and practical book on the successful habits growing companies need to embed in their organisation - from prioritisation/delegation, short/long term goals, the right data capture or regular (whether daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly) meetings.
Scott
Jun 12, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the business that wants to grow here are the tools, examples and rhythms required to make it happen. And after using these tools and rhythms in business, they work. The book has great, practical and easy-to-use insights.
German Diaz
Un libro que analiza en detalle lo que hacia Rockefeller para tener éxito, el autor desglosa los hábitos del magnate de forma sencilla y pragmática.
Kevin Eikenberry
If you are a business owner, mastering the habits of a legendary business success like John D. Rockefeller is a compelling thought. The clever title is just the first of many things to like about this book.

The book opens with a compelling piece on Rockefeller’s habits and tying them to the important idea that a book of this type should be about how to do things, not all things theoretical.

The book delivers on that promise.

- See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leade...
Sergey Morovshik
Мне было интересно изучить, много инструментов которые можно внедрять и пользоваться. Я лично внедрил ритм и топ5 целей!
Reed Wilson
Feb 15, 2014 Reed Wilson rated it it was amazing
Great book regardless of your size. Have your entire leadership team read this book and live by the habits outlined.

Mathew
Jan 15, 2014 Mathew rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and the direction it will help me have with my professional direction. It's very interesting to learn how a company aligned and connected through regular meetings can move forwards in a purpose driven way whereas without this alignment, it's certainly more difficult.

I read this book because it's part of how my employer envisions things and so it's given me a great understanding of their goals, their core values, and why they have regular internal meetings of various types.

Cyrus Molavi
Feb 08, 2016 Cyrus Molavi rated it really liked it
Worth it for the one-page strategic plan. Pretty thin otherwise. The title is misleading.
Johnny
Sep 02, 2015 Johnny rated it really liked it
It's all about clear thinking and processes. A good handbook to live by
Michael Tarpinian

Recommended by Tom Anderson
Lamano
Sep 07, 2014 Lamano rated it it was amazing
Excelent read.
Rocio
Feb 27, 2014 Rocio rated it liked it
Short, but to the point. This is designed for companies that are turning from startups into "gazelles". In other words, medium sized growth.
Michele
Sep 16, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
I liked the book, but it's not my absolute favorite. It borrows many ideas from well-known business strategists and leadership experts -- like Jim Collins (Built to Last) and Kouzes & Posner (The Leadership Challenge) -- so if you've read those books then this one just serves as a review of already tried and true business principles. That said, I bought this book to glean insight about Harnish's one-page strategic plan, an approach that I love for its simplicity and focus. I got that, so I'm ...more
Amir Syed
Jan 09, 2016 Amir Syed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Test
  • The 3 Big Questions for a Frantic Family: A Leadership Fable about Restoring Sanity to the Most Important Organization in Your Life
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • Traction
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? 2013: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • Street Smarts: An All-Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
  • The Dream Manager
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Taking People With You: The Only Way to Make BIG Things Happen
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business with a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money

“If you want to teach people a new way of thinking, don’t bother trying to teach them. Instead, give them a tool, the use of which will lead to new ways of thinking.” 3 likes
“la función principal de un líder: la capacidad de predecir.” 0 likes