A Prisoner of Birth
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

A Prisoner of Birth

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  15,130 ratings  ·  1,321 reviews

ONE NIGHT. TWO MEN. FOUR WITNESSES...

A MASTERPIECE OF SUSPENSE AND STORYTELLING.

International bestseller and master storyteller Jeffrey Archer is at the very top of his game in this story of fate and fortune, redemption and revenge.

If Danny Cartwright had proposed to Beth Wilson the day before, or the day after, he would not have been arrested and charged with the murder o

...more
Hardcover, 501 pages
Published March 4th 2008 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2008)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about A Prisoner of Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Prisoner of Birth

Kane and Abel by Jeffrey ArcherA Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey ArcherNot a Penny More, Not a Penny Less by Jeffrey ArcherOnly Time Will Tell by Jeffrey ArcherThe Prodigal Daughter by Jeffrey Archer
The Best of Jeffery Archer
2nd out of 32 books — 220 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
242nd out of 1,341 books — 6,746 voters


More lists with this book...

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 3,000)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Carol Ann
Wow! I felt like a 13 year old reading the final installment of Harry Potter. Other than bathroom breaks and a quick dinner, I did not put this book down. Jeffrey Archer is a master with characters, twists and storys within storys. I am going to write a novel like this as soon as I can!

K.D. Absolutely
In an interview included in my edition of this book, James Archer (born 1940) said that this novel is a contemporary retelling of Alexander Dumas The Count of Monte Cristo. Since I have not read yet the said classic book, I checked its synopsis in Wikipedia. It seems that Archer did a good job by using the plot but making it current by putting his personal touch on it.

Among the different literary genres, I must admit that suspense thriller and romance are my least favorites. I love reading read...more
Namratha
As a friend very rightly put it…’A Prisoner of Birth’ has all the makings of a Bollywood Masala Movie.

Danny Cartwright, a humble East-End mechanic has just proposed to his childhood sweet heart Beth. He decides to celebrate by treating his fiancée and best-friend Bernie Wilson (who also happens to be Beth’s brother) at an upmarket bar ‘The Dunlop Arms’. Also present at the bar, are a drunken party of four men, who started passing lewd comments at Beth and raise Bernie’s ire. Despite Danny’s prot...more
Tariq Alferis
.كل يوم نكتشف ان عالم الكتب كبير جدا ، حتي لو كنت تعتقد انه عندك فكرة عن كاتب الأروع ..وانه مش حايجي حد ممكن ينافس حد في مكان ثاني "تبقي عبيط واقرع وزمباوي كمان "
جيفري ارتشر الكاتب الي سمعت بيه من اسبوع مع انه كنت متفرج علي فيلم المقتبس من رواية الأفضل
"الإخوة الأعداء "

القصة
هذه القصة داني كارترايت الذي كان في المكان الخطآ والوقت الخطآ ونتهي بيه المطاف في السجن لجريمة لم يرتكبها ، كما تستمر القصة حتي يصبح صديقا لزملائه في الزنزانته الذين يعتقدون انه فعلا برئ ، بعد ان قتل احد زملائه في الزنزانة ،
...more
Egybookmaster Kottp
الرائع جيفري أرتشر في احد كتبة الاربعه المترجمة للعربيه
أكثر ما يتمكن منة الكاتب هو قدرتة علي الحكي و نسج التفاصيل الصغيرة الكثيرة ليترك لك لغز هنا و موقف صادم هناك و صدفة تغير مجري الاحداث في جزء آخر
يتشابة بالفعل احد اعمده الروايه الرئيسية مع رائعه الكسندر دوماس الكونت دي مونت كريستو الا ان سجين بالميلاد تكاد تكون النسخة المحدثة منها في عالم اليوم لكن هذا لا يقلل علي الاطلاق من متعه الروايه
يعرف جيفري ارتشر كيف يجعلك ملتصقا بمقعدك و تواصل القراءه و يعرف كيف يجعلك تنتهي من قراءه ما كتب في اقل و...more
Nagesh
Well its hard to meet the readers' expectations if your first few books are "Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less", "Kane and Abel" & "As the Crow Flies".

I felt that though the plot is not something that would make one say ... wow! now that's a new one.

Its a slight parallel of the first book mentioned above from his early days as well as "The Count of Monte Cristo" (As Archer himself agrees in many of his interviews)

What I liked most is the pace at which the story runs. Probably that is why it...more
Carie
A (loosely based) modern day retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo.

This story was fun but I didn't think it was particularly well written and the story was too long.

Raven and Beez
Read on blog!!

description

It is a great book with absolutely no place for errors. A plot that makes you go 'ooh!' and 'aah!' A must read book for those who prefer crime-mystery novels and for the people out there who think it's boring to read about the court proceedings, trust me this book will make you want to learn the law.

Alex Redmayne was my favourite side character because he is a lawyer and I have always had a liking for lawyers who are smart, handsome and prefer to do anything to help prevail justice...more
Christine Blachford
My father lent me this book, and I hadn’t even realised Jeffrey Archer was writing again. I previously read his Kane & Abel series which were really good, but that was quite a long time ago, and I struggle to remember things that far back!

Both my parents had read this, and both told me it was essentially unputdownable. My mother read it in both condensed and then full length format. I was expecting great things. I wasn’t disappointed.

It really is a page turner, and yet at the same time there...more
Susan
A modern parallel to, The Count of Monte Cristo, done in a much shorter timeline. Jeffrey Archer did a great job of creating a story line that was interesting and characters that were compelling. I enjoyed the writing and the drama very much, it was suspenseful even though predictable. If you have read, The Count of Monte Cristo, this book has enough creative twists to keep it engrossing, if not, your going to love every oscillating turn.
Zulfiya
I finally decided to give four stars only because the justice and the fairness play such an important part of the novel. The legal discourse is superb, and the presentation of the life in prison seems plausible, and most importantly, it is a novel with a very significant literary reminiscence.

It is definitely a book written by a Conservative, and as a liberal, you constantly pick up the clues and the messages that go against your convictions. But (I hate the conjunction at the beginning of the...more
Tony
Jeffrey Archer- A Prisoner of Birth (St. Martin’s Press 2008) 3.5 Stars

Danny Cartwright just proposed to Beth Wilson, his pregnant girlfriend, and life seemed so perfect. Suddenly though he finds himself arrested and charged for a murder he did not commit. When four well-respected witnesses testify against him, one of whom is actually guilty, he is sentenced to twenty-two years in prison. The four think that they have gotten away with it, but they underestimated Danny and Beth’s determination an...more
Eman.
يوقعنيّ جيفري آرتشر تحت إغواء القراءة .. !
أتخيّل كثيرًا كيف لا يمكن أن تكون هذه الرواية واقعية ..!

رائعة ، ومحبوكة ، وله طريقة في السرد آخاذة ..
لجيفري طريقة تجعل من كلمة واحدة فقط قادرة على تغيير مجرى أحداث كاملة ..
لا أعرف بالضبط كيف يمكنه فعل ذلك ، سوا أنني أشعر أنه عندما يبدأ برواية ، يشدني نحو الأحداث ..

أما عن الرواية فهي ترويّ عن الشاب " داني " الذي يتم أتهامه زورًا وبهتانًا بقتل
صديق طفولته " بيرني " و شقيق خطيبته " بيث " ، ويتم سجنه ظلمًا لمدة عشرون عامًا ..
لكنه يجد طريقة في الهروب ، وكما...more
مصطفي سليمان
الرجل دا اسطوري بكل ما تحمله الكلمة معاني
جيفري
يقدر يثبتك
قدام اي رواية ليه
مهما كانت عدد الصفحات
ومهما كانت الفكرة

هنا معالجة كبيرة لقصة
The Count of Monte Cristo

بشكل جديد وساحر تخليك بتقلب الصفحات بشكل هيستري
مع انك عارف ايه اللي هيحصل
بس جيفري ارتشر هذا الساحر الرائع بالكلمات
يجبرك
انك تستني وقت ما يحب
وتكتم انفاسك
وتتعاطف مع مين
وتكره مين

رواية اخري ساحرة لساحر عظيم
ينصح بها فورا



Tom
This was an interesting story that pulled heavily from The Count of Monte Cristo. Still, it was entertaining, even if it wasn't an edge of your seat thriller.
Kent
I've been a fan of Archer for quite some time now. My favorites have included Kane & Abel, Not a Penny More Not a Penny Less, As the Crow Flies, and his prison diaries. This is his second novel since being released from prison, having served two years for perjury. I found those journals fascinating, as I did with this book.

The premise of the book is: Danny Cartwright is convicted of murdering his best friend, who also happens to be his soon-to-be brother-in-law. Even though his fiance was th...more
Reema
This was such a well written suspense/thriller . It's weaned me off my fantasy series books; it was such a good read.

The plot and characters were so well developed. It had so many twists and turns. It was a little predictable in that it's a modern day version of The Count of Monte Cristo , but it was done in such an interesting way I didn't mind. And it's even better than the original classic, if that's possible.

I don't say that lightly at all because I'm the type that believes the original cl...more
Drashya
Its the first and only Jeffrey Archer I read. I thought of him to be a great and blockbuster writer owing to his extreme fan-following, but I must say the book both in plot and in writing disappointed me.

The plot, though interesting, is too ideal and unrealistic. Most of what happens with the hero (for I don't remember his name now) need huge amount of luck and excellent fate to execute. Plus, I found the writing weak too. The characters were great though and memorable too.

I wish this is one of...more
Don Ariff
Mar 25, 2011 Don Ariff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Don by: Lolliepop
Shelves: jeffrey-archer
Words cannot describe the brilliance of the author of this book! Although there were quite an undercurrent adaptations from the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, Jeffrey Archer made it irrefutably one of the most brilliant legal thriller I've ever read!

This book, being a recommendation by a dear friend of mine had really shown me the standard of what she would expect from a book. I would like to thank her for recommending this absolutely stunning work of art. Beautifully phrased and wit...more
Toni Osborne
This work of fiction is undeniably one of the most engrossing, powerful and head-spinning I have read in a long time. The story flows well even though it is predictable at times. I had to ignore the improbabilities to focus on the protagonist exploits. This novel caught me from the first pages with its numerous spins and turns and its great characterization. I quickly became hooked and had trouble putting it down.

Danny Cartwright, who was about to marry his childhood sweetheart, suddenly finds h...more
Jerome Statema
This is one of the best books I've read in a while. My only complaint would be that, due to the intricate nature of the story, it may not retain much re-readability. I'm sure I'll enjoy it again if I read it years from now, as the interaction between the characters is real and exquisite, but there obviously won't remain the same unknown quality as I move through the plot a second time.
The author borrows heavily from Alexandre Dumas, and doesn't really make a secret of it. The parallels between t...more
Nada Faris
WHY I CHOSE THIS BOOK: I bought this book in 2009 because I'd heard a lot of wonderful things about the author. But then I read his book "Paths of Glory" and was pretty dissapointed. So it sat on my shelves gathering dust for two years and a half. I was recently under so much stress; part of it involved the passing of my uncle, and my grandmother's sickness, my own health complications... and that's not counting my professional troubles. Usually when I'm in such a rut I'd look for an equally mis...more
Mohamed Galeel
A Prisoner by birth .... I'm not a fan of long novels, that exceeds 500 pages but I decided to run this adventure
The novel is considered a new vision of The conte of Monte Cristo, Alexander Dumas's masterpiece. The novel revolves around a person who is imprisoned injustice because of four people turning his life into a living hell and without being able to marry his sweetheart because he was sentenced to imprisonment for 22 years but in a way he can escape and decides to revenge on those who des...more
Kim Tong Lim
Jeffery Archer released his latest novel entitled “A Prisoner of Birth” and is now available in paperback. The title was most apt for the storyline that was written.

I spent past few days reading it and I could hardly leave the book. The storyline captivates you and you just wanted to read till the end to see how it develops and ends. That explains why I have not been able to blog for the week.

Jeffrey Archer still has his magic and able to weave a story that has its fair share of unexpected twi...more
Ongun Durhan
Classic Archer novel. ''A Prisoner of Birth'' proceeds to play by the classic footings of Archer, and is about the struggle of the young and illiterate Danny Cartwright against his untruthful incarceration, and his later endeavors to seek revenge from the ones who are responsible for his imprisonment. It is more or less an interpretation of the ''Count of Monte Cristo''. As always, Archer is fluid and accessible with his prose, though one of my greatest gripes about the book is that there's a su...more
Carolyn Anderson
Jeffrey Archer - interesting author - synchronistically at about the same time that I read this book, I ran across a magazine piece about Jeffrey Archer - which added immensely to my apprciation of this book. More about that later.

The story is a dichotomy of two young men - who are about the same age - and same general appearance - who end up in the same prison cell - both of them for crimes they didn't commit. One of the men came from a humble, undereducated backgroung and the other from a pri...more
Michael
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Candice
Nov 02, 2011 Candice rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of suspense stories
Recommended to Candice by: Jamerson Y book group
Danny Cartwright is indeed a prisoner of birth. The product of London's East End, he is convicted for a crime he didn't commit because the four men testifying against him are all gentlemen of England's upper class. That's not the way justice is supposed to work, but too often it's the way it works. He is sentenced to 22 years in London's notorious Belmarsh prison from which no inmate has ever escaped.

What follows is a modern retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo, a book to which I would give fi...more
Eva
Hard to say why, but I really liked this novel.

I was also interested to learn the following about the author after finishing the book...whoa:

Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

Before becoming an author, Archer was a Member of Parliament (1969–74), but resigned over a financial scandal which left him almost bankrupt.[2] Later, after a reversal in his fortunes from the royalties of his best-selling novels, he bec...more
Stuart Fujisaki
I purchased this book over a year ago but only got around to it now. The Count of Monte Cristo has always been one of my favorite stories and Prisoner of Birth is a variation in the same way that West Side Story updated Romeo and Juliet. Overall, this was a decent attempt and it contained a couple of memorable characters, specifically the two senior barristers. That being said, I could not believe the basic premise of this version, that the illiterate, though considered to be very bright, main c...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 99 100 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Free copy! 1 16 Apr 14, 2014 12:56AM  
terjemahan 1 5 Jan 02, 2014 03:32PM  
A Prisoner of Birth 9 126 Aug 26, 2013 02:40PM  
Prison Diaries 1 26 Jul 26, 2010 11:41PM  
  • The Class
  • Avenger
  • The Evening News
  • The Stars Shine Down
  • Angel's Rest
  • Trust Fund
  • The Prize
  • The Killing Ground
  • The Color of Law (Scott Fenney #1)
4820
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married...more
More about Jeffrey Archer...
Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1) Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1) Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less The Prodigal Daughter (Kane & Abel, #2) The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles, #2)

Share This Book

“I have discovered with advancing years that few things are entirely black or white, but more often different shades of grey.” 112 likes
“we all suffer in our different ways from being prisoners of birth.” 40 likes
More quotes…