Start by marking “Science of Breath” as Want to Read:
Science of Breath

Science of Breath

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this chapter we will give you briefly the theories of the Western scientific world regarding the functions of the respiratory organs, and the part in the human economy played by the breath. In subsequent chapters we will give the additional theories and ascertained facts of the Oriental school of thought and research. The Oriental accepts the theories and facts of his W ...more
Paperback, (New Edition), 96 pages
Published June 4th 2007 by Book Jungle (first published January 1st 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Science of Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science of Breath

Nick
This is the best book on breathing -- for the voice, for health, for just about anything you want or need. It is written in lovely old-fashioned prose, but you'll get used to that quickly, and get past it. The basic message is that health and long life come from good breathing, not to mention a whole host of more esoteric things like healing other people and joining up with the Universal Consciousness. But you don't have to subscribe to the esoteric practices in order to benefit from the very en ...more
Gaurav
The intention of this book is straightforward and well. It might not serve as the only reference guide for this topic but surly arouses once interest to discover it further.
I personally am inclined to follow a more authentic book for this topic rather than one which talks about things without going to much depth. Though its not a bad thing if it intends to reach someone who is new to this, but for someone more advanced might like to read something else.
At least, its a nice read.
Ad Astra
This is a great practical, as well as introductory book. The points are short and concise, with plenty of exercises and guidance. As a singer for most of my life, I think I've learned to gain the spiritual benefits of a western practice. (Not that singing is a Western practice, but the content and music I have sung comes from a lot of old Anglo-Saxon influences). Blending spiritual focus with a physical practice, this book broadens your view of the use and practice to breathing.
Bert Carson
Yogi Ramacharaka is the pen name of William Walker Atkinson who wrote advanced esoteric books at the turn of the last century. ATkinson was very prolific. I've found all of his works to be worthwhile. Mystic Christianity is my personal favorite. Here's a quote from Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism that gives an idea of his direction. "Unless we understand something about the nature of God, we cannot understand anything about the nature of the Universe or of Life."
Cathy Thomas
Not really science, and very holier than thou. The disdain for western culture and it's scientific contributions and accomplishments is woven throughout the entire book. Its good to be grateful for life giving breath and our bodies. It's also good to learn to use that knowledge to maximize our health and mindfulness. However, the author's approach was demeaning and spiritual, not scientific.
Sorcha
The language used in this book is basic (and also dated using terms such as Oriental and Occidental).

The first half of the book gives rise to simple anatomy and raises a reader's awareness into the four most prevalent types of breathing, while the second half of the book focuses on breathing/healing/meditative exercises.

A little occult-ish. In general a quick read. It provides good insight into how our method of breathing can affect our well being.
Contrail Storey
If you're into absorbing the prana or the vital force, then this is the manuscript that thoroughly instructs One on the matters of proper breathing, in addition to lung expansion and rib cage stretching techniques. The ancient hermetic/yoga instructions given here truly expand the resonant field.
Andrew Maggs
This book is a wonderful resource on breathing techniques to improve general physical, mental and spiritual health and ties in very nicely with what I have been learning as a Rosicrucian. I guess at the end of the day almost all spiritual knowledge comes from the same basic source.
Misha
Best book on breathing and how correct breathing can be a gateway to true health. Complete breath is so important as is breathing through our nose rather than mouths! I love this book. Have read it many times.
Aziz
Helpful and concise. Most importantly, the 'full breath' is very clearly explained. To me, it is the most important part of the book. Be consistent while practicing the full breath, it is a game changer.
Karen
This is the best book on breathing that I have found. Just the Yogi Complete Breath will change your life. Literally: The life in your body will liven and change.
martin
this is an important little book on how to breathe properly, though the esotericism tends to lean toward the pompous side
Nancy McKinley
I wish it would have been this book I read instead of the one I did, perhaps I'll look this up sometime!
Lyndsey
Has good points but exaggerates a little in how "disgusting" breathing through the mouth is
Elijay
Dec 05, 2012 Elijay rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
Read fourteen lessons and know a bit about yogic breathing and pranayama first.
The Real
Jun 16, 2008 The Real rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People looking for true spirituality
Great book very informative, I read it a few times and still do.
Michelle
Jul 02, 2012 Michelle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Science of BREATH that is:) recommended to everyone!
Kristi
This is a very good read.
Todd
Brilliant.
Isoken
Isoken marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Frank Dries
Frank Dries marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Strings
Strings is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2014
Mihir
Mihir marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • The Chakras
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment
  • Liber Aleph Vel CXI: The Book of Wisdom or Folly, in the Form an Epistle of 666, the Great Wild Beast to His Son 777, Being the Equinox, Volume III Number VI
  • Hsin Hsin Ming, the Book of Nothing: Discourses on the Faith Mind of Sosan
  • The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • Nature, Man and Woman
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika, The
  • Twelve Stories and a Dream
  • The New Death and others
  • Edgar Cayce on Reincarnation
  • Farewell to the Master
  • Real Alchemy: A Primer of Practical Alchemy
  • Kindling the Celtic Spirit: Ancient Traditions to Illumine Your Life Through the Seasons
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • The Secret Doctrine
William Walker Atkinson (December 5, 1862 – November 22, 1932) was an attorney, merchant, publisher, and author, as well as an occultist and an American pioneer of the New Thought movement. He is also known to have been the author of the pseudonymous works attributed to Theron Q. Dumont, Swami Panchadasi and Yogi Ramacharaka and others.

Due in part to Atkinson's intense personal secrecy and extensi
More about William W. Atkinson...
Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece The Power of Concentration Thought Vibration or the Law of Attraction in the Thought World The Kybalion: The Definitive Edition The Human Aura Astral Colors and Thought Forms