Start by marking “Second Rate Chances” as Want to Read:
Second Rate Chances

Second Rate Chances

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  2,629 ratings  ·  188 reviews
Sam wakes up in the hospital expecting to find his girlfriend by his bedside. Instead, he finds a bleached-blond diva, claiming to be his fiancée, hovering over him. When he learns that he's just woken up from a coma and has lost the last three years of his life, any semblance of stability he thought he had falls down around him. All he wants – all he needs – is Lil.

After
Published January 11th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Second Rate Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Rate Chances

Never Too Far by Abbi GlinesWethering the Storm by Samantha TowleThe Game Changer by J. SterlingEyes Wide Open by Raine MillerConsumed by Emily Snow
Highly Anticipated Indie Books of 2013
119th out of 1,458 books — 6,916 voters
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireEntwined with You by Sylvia DayReckless by S.C. StephensDown London Road by Samantha YoungNever Too Far by Abbi Glines
2013 Release books to read
140th out of 1,031 books — 2,302 voters

More lists with this book...

JLC

I feel duped!!!!

I was a fan of this book - until the 88% mark. I would have rated this book 4/5 stars - until the 88% mark. I liked this H & this author - until the 88% mark.

As stated in the blurb, the H & h dated - broke up - the H gets involved in another relationship - H gets amnesia & still thinks he's w/the h when he's actually engaged to another woman. For 88% of this book, I liked both the H & the h. I liked the whole amnesia plot w/a shot for a 2nd chance. I liked the
Christy
A sweet story about heartbreak, love, and second chances.

Infinity

At the beginning of this story, you meet Sam and Lil. Both happy, in love, and buying their first home together. Fast forward three years later...

Sam is getting married, and not to Lil. He is marrying Chloe, his bosses daughter. She and Lil are pretty much opposites. Before you find out how everything with Lil and Sam fell apart, Sam gets in an accident. He wakes up, after being in a coma for a few days, and the last thing he remembers-
Heidi McLaughlin
I'm very honored to have worked on this story with Holly. I have no doubt you will fall in love with Sam and Lil, as well as the amazing ensemble cast.

Review to come later.
♠ Becka & Cerys ♠ | Spitfire Reviews
*Spoiler Free Review*
I just finished reading about maybe 30 seconds ago...
Background: Boy meets girl.... Both fall in love... Boy and Girl get a house together...Less than a year later their lives are torn apart and they go on separately... Girl never gets over boy but had a one night stand with a creepy perverted weirdo... Boy gets a new Fiancee called Chloe who is currently planning the wedding...HERE IT GOES EVEN MORE COMPLICATED... Boy (Sam) falls and is in a coma for days, wakes up remember
Liz
Anyone who takes a look at my shelves knows that if given a choice contemporary romance is not my preferred cup of tea. That said if you give me a story with a hook, in this case a mystery that breaks apart two soul mates, I'm probably gonna go for it! What can I say? I'm also a HUGE sap, seriously, ask my husband.

The story of Sam and Lil is a tale easily described as the things people who love each other do when they are hurting and don't even realize it. They push away their partners, their fr
Cristina Buzoianu
Originally posted on my Blog, Bibliophile Mystery

I’ve been looking forward to reading this book ever since I saw its beautiful cover, and the story didn’t disappoint me at all.

Sam and Lil were a happy young couple. They loved each other very much and thought that no one and nothing could break them apart.

But three years later we find them completely changed. There’s nothing left from the former happiness, not even their friends. Sam is getting married in
Jucilene
L.A.M.E!!!

All you need to know was already explained in JLC's review

Just read it before start this one. I should know better, because I read JLC's review and even so I insist in read the book because I had bought it.

Scott-robert Shenkman
So I think there were some serious biblical themes going on in this book: the MCs were named Sam(son) and (De)Lil(ah) – and we all know how well that turned out. Sam’s two best friends were named Kane and Abe (seriously), Sam’s father’s name is Paul, and his brother is Joshua. Sam’s potential father-in-law is Jonah. Lil’s best friend is Elle, which is obviously Elizabeth. Seriously, I feel like I should be going to church or something this weekend! The only character (I think) that didn’t have a ...more
Andrea
Aww, you guys, I adored Second Rate Chances. Now I'll admit, I'm a sucker for amnesia and reconnected love stories, so I was an easy sell. But the prologue, it was so gorgeous and it made me want to figure out how Sam and Lil went from overwhelming joy and love, to nothing. And more importantly, would they find their way back together again?

I really liked how the author approached the story, giving you Sam and Lil happy in the prologue, then beginning chapter one with them having been broken up
Tiana411
This book was like reading a Hallmark made for TV movie. Simply put, not all that exciting.
I saw some good reviews on here, so I thought I needed a great love story to pick me up from a crappy book I just read. This book wasn't terrible but it was so predictable and boring. It started off all promising with the prologue and then you wonder what's happened. The build up was so long and drawn out and I was like frickin hell just tell him!
Basically Sam and Lil had a true love story, something happe
Belle
“How?” he asked in a whisper. “How did we go from being what I remember – happy and in love – to,” he waved his arms around the space that kept them apart, “this? To you standing what feels like a world away? Lil, we promised one another forever.”

AHHHHH what a fantastic read. Seriously, great plot line. This is a book about how true love never goes away. How a man with amnesia gets a second chance with the woman he loves. How he gets a second chance to change his life to become a better man.
Christina Campagnone
3,5 stars. I really enjoyed this book but I just wanted more from the ending. I felt for Lil, her heart was broken and she helped Sam anyway knowing she could be broken all over again. And Sam, he woke up to find out he was an asshole that forgot the people who meant most to him, I just loved him. This was a good read I just wanted more of an emotional ending.
skywalker (uninspired)
description
Second rate chances. There it goes into the big pile of regrets. It doesn’t even deserve a first chance. Sorry, bad pun, couldn’t resist.
description
This book is about perfection. The perfect everything. the perfect romantic moment. the perfect proposal. the perfect jilting. HURRAH, and the perfect couple!
description
The most perfectly annoying things about the book are the MCs. They are so full of themselves. And don’t even get me started on the names-
***drumroll*** SAM and DELILAAAAAHH
description
If I realized it any earlier
Karen
Awwww. This was such a sweet story.

Sam has an accident leaving him with amnesia. He is missing the last 3 years of his life. The last thing he remembers is buying a house with his college sweetheart and the love of his life, Lil. He is told that the life as he remembers it no longer exists. He is now engaged to Chloe and is to be married in a few weeks.

Sam has to come to terms with the man he has become and try to figure out what happened to alter the course of his life.

Lil has been trying to
Katy
This would have been a sweet, romantic quick read. But 1) I laughed at the absurdity of how Sam fell into a coma and the ridiculousness of his reaction when he woke up (i.e. "For a second I thought maybe I had been in a car accident and she was some crazy that hit me.") And 2) it was one of those frustrating books where the person doesn't know/remember the secret, and everyone else know, but they all keep him in the dark for the sake of dragging the story out.

And the secret? It wasn't hard to fi
Karla (Reads and Thoughts)
The concept of Amnesia doesn't really fail to intrigue me. There is always this part of me that ticks with curiosity when I get to read stories with people losing memories - how would they cope up? How could they start up all over again? Is losing their memory enough to mend the fences or people they broke? Would that be enough for second chances?

Three hurtful years have passed since Sam walked out of Lil's life. Three hurtful years of therapy and coping up with life. They we’re once both blissf
Melissa
Second Rate Chances tells a sad story about redemption-a second chance. I don't believe this story meant for readers to cry, but the meaning behind everything can induce tears. I'm not crying, but in my mind Sam and Lil's story is tear worthy.

The story begins with the prologue, and it's obvious that the happy couple is Sam and Lil. They're about to spend the rest of their lives together, but three years later and everything has changed. Sam and Lil are no longer together and we (the readers) h
Megan
“For it is said that a love of epic proportions would stand the test of time from here until all eternity. For if he was the day and she was the night, one cannot be without the other.”

Second Rate Chances tells the story of Sam and Lil. It begins with a prologue showing just how happy and very much in love this couple is. Unfortunately, their love story seems to have veered off course at some point. Immediately following the prologue, it’s three years later and Sam and Lil are thing of the pas
Detroitangel
4 STARS for the debut novel by Holly Stephens. Contemporary Romances normally have a pattern that makes the story predictable. When you are reading, you are waiting for your mental list to tick off items before you can get back to the love. This book didn't do that--REFRESHING!

We begin with the promise of everything from Sam to Lil--Love, laughter, and a happy future together. They have invested in a home and see the same things sparkling in the distance.

Three years later, Sam wakes up and can
Anushka
Rating - 4.5 stars.

OH MY WOOOOORDDDDD! THIS IS SUPERRRRR COOOOOOOL! OH MY WOORDDDDDDDDD
It's an amazing book! I had to read it in one go. ONE GO.
And well, to be honest, this book had me at the prologue.

This book is full of everything:

Anticipation. Love. Heartbreak. Reunions. Tears. Smiles. Mysteries. Happy Ending.
AND EVERYTHING POSSIBLE <3

This is one of the best books I've read lately and yes, I'm being honest, give this book a chance! It deserves it. I'm a fan of Holly now, it
Christina Lyn
Samson and Delilah Who haven't thought about this names seems to be related.

Creating Second Rate Chances has a peculiar taste. Holly Stephens is the master mind creating a master piece like this. I enjoyed reading every bits of this. They were brought together after all those years has passed. The answers that Lil searching for the long time has finally been answered. And same goes to Sam. I have to say the Karma is the worst bitch ever. I'm glad at the end it came to his senses what his been
Zizz
3.5 stars I think.

The premise somehow reminded me of The Opportunist. Guy and girl break up. 3 years later, he has amnesia and is engaged to another person. But he remembers her - his real love. At the beginning, I thought maybe the author is just as frustrated as me and decided to write her own story based somewhat on that premise. Or maybe this is just me and my crazy obsession with TO talking here...

This was a sweet, quick read. It had the potential to be something bigger - if only the autho
Sara
3.5 stars for me. I love second chances and this definitely was one. The BIG thing that separated them was stretched too long for me. The story danced around it for a while and I did have 2 guesses, and one of them was right. It was sad but for all the build up, it didnt have a BANG reveal. Loved both characters, but I really liked the confused Sam, he was so cute and sweet. The supporting friends were great. Overall i did enjoy this book, but the big secret wasnt a surprise to me and the reveal ...more
Isis
What a great first book from Holly Stephens. I am not a big fan of contemporary romance novels but this one has changed my mind. The author gave the characters such great personalty's that you hope they are real. The language in the book is adult but its not over the top. I recommend getting a glass of wine and setting Pandora to "My Love or The Civil Wars Radio" channel while reading this book. I'm looking forward to the next book by Mrs. Stephens.
Jurate
The main idea of the book was good, but something was missing. tumblr m3634y6j Jb1qaejpto1 500

So it was good , but not very good
NightlyEssence
I'm in love with this book. Filled with some much emotions. The characters were so believable that it felt that I was standing in the room with them. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone. You will really enjoy it.
Bayli
Jan 10, 2013 Bayli marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013
I'm interested to see what some reviews for this book looks like before I buy it.

It looks pretty good though... Intrigued is what I am.

Not your typical love story it sounds like.
Farzana rahmann
Loved the book the emotions and build up was great. A romantic short story for those chilly days.
Farrah
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

A remarkably sweet, emotional book. Second Rate Chances was a brilliant romance that I adored!

I loved the idea of this book. The whole thought of a couple who drifted apart getting a second chance in an unconventional way sounded so sweet to me. And Second Rate Chances definitely lived up to my expectations.

Lil was a very sympathetic heroine. She's only just begun to get over her relationship with Sam after three year
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
A good getting-back together story~

This was a fast read for me. It felt as if I was on a race. I finished it under two hours. Why? It's because I wanted to get to the bottom of their situation right away.

The plot was kinda new to me. I think I've never read another amnesia book like this. What happened? Hmmm.. It was all fast.. in a good way, sort of.

How would you react if suddenly, all you remember is a life from 3 years ago?

What would you do if you find out that you've been a jerk to everyone
  • All the Right Moves
  • Champagne Toast (Love of My Life, #2)
  • Beautiful Things Never Last
  • Happenstance (A Second Chance, #1)
  • Fire in Her Eyes (Young Love, #2; Summer Love, #1)
  • Full Count
  • No Attachments (Woodfalls Girls, #1)
  • Searching for Neverland
  • Strong Enough (Strong, #1)
  • Love and Truth
  • My Only (Versions, #1)
  • Tight Knit
  • Hustle Me (Bank Shot Romance, #1)
  • Uninvolved
  • I Love You to Death (I Love You, #1)
  • Running on Empty (Mending Hearts, #1)
  • The Next Forever (Pretty Amy, #1.5)
  • Drowning in You
People have often told me that I live in a fantasy world. Little did they know, I was building an empire of stories in my head to one day share.

I'm a mother first, a wife second, and a writer third. I'm so thankful to have been given this chance to get my stories out of my head and onto paper.

When I'm not writing, I sell plumbing (no I'm not kidding) and read romances that leave my heart a flutter
More about Holly Stephens...
Strobe Risqué Business

“I've already been to hell and back. This time, I want to go to paradise. I want to do whatever it is you want. Because all I want is you, by my side, from this moment until forever.” 25 likes
“You are so in over your head that even a life raft can't keep you afloat.” 3 likes